SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He certainly did EllieBee and, speaking of the confederate flag flying above the SC statehouse... I sent an email last night to every single member of the house asking them to take the flag down NOW. I hope everyone else will do the same.

I'm so glad Jon Stewart brought that up - flying a Confederate flag over the South Carolina statehouse. Other news stories have pointed out the fact that South Carolina still doesn't have a law against "hate crimes" and is home to 19 different hate groups.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/charleston-church-shooting-kkk-white-supremacists-operate-south-carolina

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/06/18/3671111/south-carolina-shooting-hate-crime/

South Carolina is also a state which fights strongly against providing access to affordable health care for emotionally disturbed, potentially dangerous people like Roof. The state has a long way to go towards cleaning up its culture, one that, in subtle ways, continues to reinforce the racist views of some of its citizens. I mean, what can you say about states that refuse to provide treatment for its most dangerous, mentally ill citizens while protecting racist messages as "freedom of speech"? Then they react with surprise when their citizens engage in violent racist rampages? States can't control every person's behavior, but they can do much more to publicly condemn it. Removing the Stars and Bars and rooting out racist hate groups is a good start.

Well, I know very little about crime and punishment but occasionally I have common sense and it seems to me it would be easier and more cost efficient to tack on hate crime at the time of these charges than to go through another process at a later time at another location. For example ' 9 murder charges while in commission of a hate crime'', which would automatically elevate the charges to more time than regular murder charges. It just seems wasteful of resources and time to go through it at a later date. If the charge for murder in SC is X amount of years , then add on another X amount of years or DP automatically or WOP or something.

It hasn't been charged as a hate crime yet... they have to finish their investigation first.

Well, I know very little about crime and punishment but occasionally I have common sense and it seems to me it would be easier and more cost efficient to tack on hate crime at the time of these charges than to go through another process at a later time at another location. For example ' 9 murder charges while in commission of a hate crime'', which would automatically elevate the charges to more time than regular murder charges. It just seems wasteful of resources and time to go through it at a later date. If the charge for murder in SC is X amount of years , then add on another X amount of years or DP automatically or WOP or something.

There is no hate crime law in South Carolina. If there was, it could be tacked on.

1. There is no way this guy is going to get less than either DP or LWOP. What good will the hate crime charge do? You can only kill him once.

2. I wish people who do not live in SC would not try to regulate how those of us who do live there live. Believe it or not, we are not all illiterate racists.

Just sad that there is NEVER a NOW. Of course it's a time of grief, especially for the families and friends, and Charlestonians......but nationally, it just seems that we are always in grief to the extent that we simply accept that grieving is our way of life and not investigating the source of it. In no way did I intend to diminish the very real GRIEF in Charleston. JMO

Oh Cady, at least for me, I didn't take it that way at all. It's because you care that you don't want to see some of the issues pushed aside, I'm sure.
Apathy can be a b****

You would be wrong. Most of them buy their guns legally. Either they buy the gun legally themselves, or they have somebody else buy it for them.

Respectfully, I think we need to agree to disagree. I was only stating my opinion & that's all it was. If you look at my signature you will see a little guy with a foot in his mouth. :moo:

Just heard on CNN that Roof's sister was to be married on Saturday. Naturally, the wedding has been postponed.

RSBM

What a heaping pile of shame he has brought down on his own family. Gah !!!
And what was supposed to be the happiest day of her life has now been cancelled. :( Just how the heck is his family going to 'get on with their lives' ???

Unless they helped Dylann get to where he is now-- and I've not read anything indicating such -- they have to be mortified.

Daily Mail had an article saying that his uncle would 'push the button' towards executing Dylann if he did indeed do this.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-31...assacre-suspect-says-needs-pay-convicted.html
The day before, in an interview outside his mobile home in Gaston, South Carolina, Cowles said nobody in the family suspected Roof was capable of a massacre.

And to anyone who thinks violent protest is the way to go --- just GO AWAY.
These innocents who were murdered were in a place of prayer. They were people who did good for their communities. They weren't about burning down businesses or attacking law enforcement. These victims were not about destruction. If you (anyone who commits violence in the names of these victims in their church) burn down stores or throw rocks at the police, you dishonor their memory !! So LEAVE !

Sorry, rant over. Made me so angry to read that Roof nearly didn't go through with these heinous murders because the parishioners were so nice to him. From what I've read about them-- of course they were welcoming , it's what they were about.
Sickens me.

:moo:

Better not to post any more for a while.

Rest forever in gentle peace ; Tywanza, Clementa, Sharonda, DePayne, Cynthia, Myra, Ethel, Daniel, and Susie ! My condolences to the surviving loved ones and those who were wounded in body and spirit. Their lives will never be the same.

I have heard several times now that Roof specifically asked for the Reverend - by name. How did he know (or why did he) ask specifically for him by name? I am sure that is one thing the Feds are seriously looking into. To have asked for the Reverend by name and then to sit next to him....how did that come to be?

JMHO

I have heard several times now that Roof specifically asked for the Reverend - by name. How did he know (or why did he) ask specifically for him by name? I am sure that is one thing the Feds are seriously looking into. To have asked for the Reverend by name and then to sit next to him....how did that come to be?

JMHO

Reverend Clementa C. Pinckney was also a prominent State Senator

JMHO

I'm sure the church's web site had the pastor's name listed.
He targeted this church for his evil reason and had planned this for some time. So, knowing the pastor's name would not seem odd to me.

JMO

South Carolinians should not be judged by a flag anymore than a person should be judged by the color of their skin.

Or the KKK should not be judged by a hood anymore than a person should be judged by the color of their skin?

If it was my famiky, you bet I would be sick of the continuous wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth.

Grieve until the next time this happens. Then grieve again and and again.

Apparently this is the world that America is satisfied with.

South Carolinians should not be judged by a flag anymore than a person should be judged by the color of their skin.

South Carolinians should stop flying a symbol of hate- we most certainly should not forget or sanitize our countries past and the confederate flag is a part of that history in the south but you no longer need to fly it over your Capitol.

For crimes such as that committed by Roof, I much prefer the death penalty, rather than have him sit in prison and be able to receive benefits that many not in prison do not receive. Putting him to death in a swift manner is cost efficient.

BBM. While the actual cost of putting someone to death is negligible, the costs lie in the appeals process. That is, contrary to popular opinion, capital punishment cost an order of magnitude more than life in prison. Both financially (for the state), and emotionally (for the victim's families).

I thought hate crime charges are federal. May be wrong.

Quoting myself to add...

FBI Jurisdiction

A hate crime is not a distinct federal offense. However, the federal government can and does investigate and prosecute crimes of bias as civil rights violations, which do fall under its jurisdiction. These efforts serve as a backstop for state and local authorities, which handle the vast majority of hate crime cases. A 1994 federal law also increased penalties for offenses proven to be hate crimes.

https://m.fbi.gov/#https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/civilrights/hate_crimes/overview

They would be in South Carolina and only 4 other states.

That's not how I'm reading it...

For South Carolina, one of only 5 states that do not have a hate crimes law, the passage of the Matthew Shepard Act means that for the first time there are legal protections for victims of hate crimes in this state. The Columbia Division of the FBI, along with the US Department of Justice, has already begun training law enforcement officials in the state about the new and they are required to investigate all violations of federal law within the State of South Carolina not exclusively assigned to another federal agency.

http://www.scequality.org/get_informed/hate_crimes/

Or the KKK should not be judged by a hood anymore than a person should be judged by the color of their skin?

Seriously ? Members of the KKK are not judged because they wear a hood, they are judged because of their actions while wearing the hood. Do you honestly believe destroying every Confederate flag in the south is going to have any real benefit ? I find the flag offensive just as the swastika is offensive, and rap songs about killing cops is offensive, wearing cuss words on shirts is offensive..just to name a few. I don't believe anyone is going to become a racist because they see an image of a Confederate flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirstycrab