SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been gone most of the day. I was rear ended and the guy hit and ran. I should have known to stay in the house today.

Anywho, catching up and wondering what the flip PE has to do with anything regarding this massacre? We've had major budget cuts where I am and you know what? Whatever the kids couldn't get for free in school and if I thought it was important, Mama made sure MY boys had those things. Getting exercise doesn't cost a dime. Neither does going to the library and making it beyond 10th grade. Geez.

This is extremely heartbreaking. But senseless killings like this did not happen 15 years ago, especially with the suspects/killers being so young.
These young people are desensitized by playing stupid video games where you kill people and the more people you kill earns you a higher score.
Sad but true.

[h=1]US Mass Shootings, 1982-2012: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation[/h]http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data

This is extremely heartbreaking. But senseless killings like this did not happen 15 years ago, especially with the suspects/killers being so young.
These young people are desensitized by playing stupid video games where you kill people and the more people you kill earns you a higher score.
Sad but true.

That's simply not true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers_(Americas)

And the links between video games and rampage killings have been unpersuasive at best. Some studies show a negative correlation.

The article I linked up thread, his friend also said the gun was obtained from birthday money.
oh sorry friend! i swear to god i'm going to start calling you "scoop" instead of popsicle :hilarious:......you are ALWAYS on top of it :D :hug:

oh sorry friend! i swear to god i'm going to start calling you "scoop" instead of popsicle :hilarious:......you are ALWAYS on top of it :D :hug:

no-no I am saying his friend corroborates what the grandfather is saying. The shooter didn't get a gun for his birthday he got money and used that to buy a gun. :)

no-no I am saying his friend corroborates what the grandfather is saying. The shooter didn't get a gun for his birthday he got money and used that to buy a gun. :)
i'm still calling you scoop :D and now bravo will feel better, she was gutted about the parent purchase lol..........

That's pretty serious. Why wasn't this guy in jail?

This is just a guess on my part, I don't know the inmate situation in SC, but it could be because of prison overcrowding and they were non-violent offenses? All the charges were at one time and it seems to be a first offense, maybe they gave him an (undeserved) break? I wonder what the drug amounts were, there is also a sentencing difference in "using" amounts and "selling" amounts.

ETA: My apologies, he had two arrests under his belt. Controlled substance and trespassing.

http://www.wltx.com/story/news/2015/06/18/dylann-storm-roof-charleston-sc-shooting/28917299/

i'm still calling you scoop :D and now bravo will feel better, she was gutted about the parent purchase lol..........

Me too, I love it! Popsicle, you are now Scoopsicle, lol. :princes:

Okay, so playing these extremely violent games has no impact on kids?

Lol, I had (past tense) a bottle of Far Niente chardonnay 2012 I recieved for my bday in Feb.

I cracked that bad boy open tonight. Now I am ready for bed. Gratefully. Maybe I should stop reading the news.

They were in CHURCH. They were at WORSHIP. I can't understand. I slept very little last night and anticipate the same tonight. Those poor people. One victim was 87? Is that right? How sick and plain old mean and evil do you have to be to gun down people who can barely move.

Hate is a really bad word but I can safely say I hate this awful murderer.
Side note: Mmmm... Drool. I have a '97 & a' 98 Far Niente Cab. My favorite Vineyard.

... Sorry to derail the conversation.

Tapatalking

I don't think games or movies have a bad impact on teens unless there is something mentally not well with them. Many people including myself have watched rated R movies, played violent video games as a teen and never killed anyone. I don't think it's video games or movies, I think it's mental illness.

When I was young we were not afraid to go a movie.
We were not afraid to go to a mall.
We were not afraid to go to school.
We played outside till the street lights came on.
Having children now you are constantly worried.
I can go on but in this thread it would be useless.

Anderson Cooper 360° ‏@AC360 4m4 minutes ago

#Charleston family prepares to say good bye to matriarch killed in #churchshooting: http://cnn.it/1I07dHv

beautiful video of the oldest victim :rose:

I don't think games or movies have a bad impact on teens unless there is something mentally not well with them. Many people including myself have watched rated R movies, played violent video games as a teen and never killed anyone. I don't think it's video games or movies, I think it's mental illness.
No where did I mention movies desensitizes you.
I played video games as well, but Donkey Kong or the Mario Brothers was not about killing people.

I disagree about video games being the cause of real life violence. I play alot of different games some shooting some fighting. I've shot a real gun once at a gun range and it was my last I may be a chicken but it was scary, It was alot more powerful than I expected. My ex husband is a gun collecter and literally laughed at the look on my face after lol. So I go on harmless shoot-outs with my friends online and my kids, but I have never thought of buying a gun and shooting anyone in real life.

It may sound a bit off, but I am extremely against any sort of violence.

That being said, if someone really plays these games wishing they were shooting real people idk if I could blame the games themselves, just like movies and other things that show violence. You have to want to hurt people to hurt people. If that makes any sense.

No where did I mention movies desensitizes you.
I played video games as well, but Donkey Kong or the Mario Brothers was not about killing people.

I think movies are just the same as video games. I've played a lot of violent video games. I own all video game systems. I have watched some violent movies. Just like a movie, games give you a story line and just like a movie you get to watch the events unfold. Everyone in their right mind knows the difference between reality, and make believe. Playing a video as a Mario brother, you know that when you kill the Koopas they're not real. Also in Nintendo there was a shooting game known as duck hunt that came with Mario bros, so please do not tell me there weren't violent video games back then as there were.
So I will continue to stand with it's not the games, it's not the movies, it's mental illness.

I also wanted to thank the WS community and the mods here. This is the only forum I've seen where people are actually having a smart, respectful, and open discussion on this topic.

Some of the rants I've seen on a couple of others has shocked me, and also made me sad for our country that some people seem to feel the way they do, it's scary our kids and grandkids are out in this world everyday, with so much hate and anger towards each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member