SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's widely reported, but it is not earmarked exclusively for the 9 victim's families. It is a grant to help all victims of the shooting, including those that survived as well as other victims in other parts of the state of South Carolina. I would guess it also will be used to cover administrative overhead of administering the funds to the victims.

http://abcnewsradioonline.com/natio...ending-29-million-to-south-carolina-in-w.html

[video=twitter;612022473786290176]https://twitter.com/TheJusticeDept/status/612022473786290176[/video]

Actually, it sounds like an annual grant to help all crime victims in the state of South Carolina this fiscal year.

From the link:

Some of the money in the grant can be used to help victims of Wednesday night's shooting at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church, where nine people were killed.

BBM

Some of the money. I hope the DOJ clarifies this so people will stop making hateful, racist inferences about buying off victims' families. I harbor no expectation that this incident will make much of a dent in racism in the US. Talk about a payment to victim's families just shows that racism is still alive and well in the US.

Some of the money. I hope the DOJ clarifies this so people will stop making hateful, racist inferences about buying off victims' families. I harbor no expectation that this incident will make much of a dent in racism in the US. Talk about a payment to victim's families just shows that racism is still alive and well in the US.

Agreed. I thought it was shameful and offensive when I read it suggested here that the victims' families were willing to forgive Roof quickly because they were going to receive a large cash payout. It was a preposterous and mean-spirited inference.

I think this massacre does fall into the category of domestic terrorism. These groups are renamed, re branded, reorganized, and legitimized (anyone can have a website). With the power to recruit: KKK, SS, al-Qaida, ISIS to name a few, they are effective in persuading a perspective of history. - DR becomes a pawn in a larger arena, in a larger narrative. I wonder and worry about who is labeling him a hero to the cause?

He might be the lone wolf who pulled the trigger but as he himself states he is not in a position to go it alone and fight. And, (imo) he is not alone in his hatred.

Each mass killing shines a light… some of them show it is rooted in something deeper: domestic issues include: Oklahoma, government; Isla Vista, women; Connecticut, mental illness and guns; South Carolina, Race.

Of course there is the international perspective, too: 911, Boston, and the numerous thwarted attempts on any given airline, train station, major city street, etc…

So, this child/boy/man had support in his concealed effort. Whether it be how to pose for pictures, create a phantom website, or write a manifesto, this person had help, he had guidance, and support. How could he have carried out such a misguided message without praise? Where did his narrative come from?

Dylann Roof Photos and a Manifesto Are Posted on Website
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/21/u...-website-charleston-church-shooting.html?_r=0

“I have no choice,” it reads. “I am not in the position to, alone, go into the ghetto and fight. I chose Charleston because it is most historic city in my state, and at one time had the highest ratio of blacks to Whites in the country. We have no skinheads, no real KKK, no one doing anything but talking on the internet. Well someone has to have the bravery to take it to the real world, and I guess that has to be me.”

The website was first registered on Feb. 9 in the name of Dylann Roof, the 21-year-old man charged with entering the historically black Emanuel A.M.E. Church in Charleston on Wednesday night, attending a prayer meeting for an hour and then murdering nine parishioners. The day after the site was registered, the registration information was intentionally masked.

It is not clear whether the manifesto was written by Mr. Roof or if he had control of it. Nor is it clear whether he took the pictures with a timer, or if someone else took them. In a joint statement Saturday night, the Charleston Police Department and the F.B.I. said they were aware of the website and were “taking steps to verify the authenticity of these postings.”

Who else would have written this for him? It appears he was just parroting the talking points he read on the white supremacist web sites and on hate talk radio. It's the same old litany of complaints these disgusting people have been making since the early days of the KKK. Not very original, nor very intelligent.

It's quite shameful that the news media are not playing this video with high frequency:
https://youtu.be/OJINkdjGYnE

They've chosen to focus on bullcrap when the real important message, which if emulated by all would make the world a better place, is right there in the video above.

There really isnt much to be happy about as an American these days. However, the way that everyone came together like they did gives me hope that maybe things will be ok.

This event really scarred us. These werent drug dealers beating up folks for being late on money; these were civilians, church-goers, productive members of society. These people cant be dehumanized and cast off like we do to those who are "****s".

Charleston adopts ordinance forcing protesters to keep 300 feet away from funerals

Members of Westboro Baptist Church announced on social media that they plan to picket the funerals in Charleston this week.

That, according to the N.Y. Daily News, prompted the 'hactivist' group Anonymous to announce it would confront the Westboro members both online and in person if they tried to picket.

Lowcountry residents also responded with a Facebook group to create a 'human wall' between Westboro protesters and the funeral. The group had more than 2,000 participants as of Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/29390872/charleston-adopts-protesting-ordinance-in-response-to-westboro-others

(Detailed article at link..even candidates from previous elections are rejecting Holt's cash!)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...ite-supremacist-donations-20150622-story.html

I'm thrilled that some of the candidates are going to be donating to the Charleston victims instead of simply returning the money back to the racist Council of Conservative Citizens
:happydance:

I learn something new in every sad case discussed here. I have lived my entire life in the deep south and I have never even heard of the Council of Conservative Citizens until this tragic case.

IMO

Charleston adopts ordinance forcing protesters to keep 300 feet away from funerals

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/29390872/charleston-adopts-protesting-ordinance-in-response-to-westboro-others

I despise this hate filled group. We had a slain officer killed in the line of duty in the county adjoining ours a year or so ago and these worthless POSs showed up to protest against the officer's funeral precession which consisted of thousands of people in attendance. The good people simply blocked the WBC protestors and most in attendance didn't even know they were there.

Those in attendance here will do the same. Usually what happens when they show up with their hate filled signs is many motorcycle clubs will show up for the victims families and they completely block them from view. And when they do show up there will be only 3-4 in attendance.

I wish there was something that could be done about this horrible cult. It makes me sick to even know there are people out there like them. They are infamous for showing up at military and police officers' funerals. They show up when honorable people have been murdered and that is why they are wanting to protest now.

They have a very dark heart filled with nothing but hate. They are not Christians and are more like ISIS who uses religion in order to hurt innocent others. The only comforting thing I find about this group and that is knowing when each one of them dies they will be going straight to Hell.

IMO

I learn something new in every sad case discussed here. I have lived my entire life in the deep south and I have never even heard of the Council of Conservative Citizens until this tragic case.

IMO
I doubt that there is anything conservative or civic-minded about that group; it's something awful disguised with a name that makes it appear like it's a good thing-- it's language manipulation, like calling something that takes away citizen's rights the "Patriot Act."

I despise this hate filled group. We had a slain officer killed in the line of duty in the county adjoining ours a year or so ago and these worthless POSs showed up to protest against the officer's funeral precession which consisted of thousands of people in attendance. The good people simply blocked the WBC protestors and most in attendance didn't even know they were there.

Those in attendance here will do the same. Usually what happens when they show up with their hate filled signs is many motorcycle clubs will show up for the victims families and they completely block them from view. And when they do show up there will be only 3-4 in attendance.

I wish there was something that could be done about this horrible cult. It makes me sick to even know there are people out there like them. They are infamous for showing up at military and police officers' funerals. They show up when honorable people have been murdered and that is why they are wanting to protest now.

They have a very dark heart filled with nothing but hate. They are not Christians and are more like ISIS who uses religion in order to hurt innocent others. The only comforting thing I find about this group and that is knowing when each one of them dies they will be going straight to Hell.

IMO
About 5 years ago, they protested six of our local high schools. I don't remember what their "cause" was. I only remember that, like you said, their numbers were unimpressive, and they were met with anti-protesters, spreading love and acceptance. They are completely irrelevant in my book. Their attempts to divide usually result in unity of the very people they're protesting. I'm a big fan of that!

I have a question for anyone who may know the answer.

How long has it been since multiple victims were murdered and targeted all because of their race? I know there have been hate crimes committed against a sole victim but I was trying to recall when multiple victims were murdered because of this despicable motive.

I am old enough to remember the Zebra Murders back in the 70s that happened in CA where 16 white victims were murdered by four black Muslims and many others were severely injured. They were randomly targeted based on their skin color. In fact I read recently that one of the four involved has died in prison.

So I got me to thinking when is the last time multiple AAs were murdered by those filled with racist hate?

IMO

Agreed. I thought it was shameful and offensive when I read it suggested here that the victims' families were willing to forgive Roof quickly because they were going to receive a large cash payout. It was a preposterous and mean-spirited inference.

I absolutely agree. I found it very offensive to even suggest such a thing.

These wonderful people live by their strong faith in God and its all about love and forgiveness.

IMO

The Confederate battle flag in South Carolina was first flown at the statehouse in 1961.

"It was flown as a symbol of massive resistance to racial desegregation."

The first time it flew
Daniel Hollis, a member of the commission responsible for planning South Carolina’s Confederate War Centennial, recalled the exact day the flag was first hoisted during an interview published in 1999.

Hollis said the flag itself went up on April 11, 1961, for the opening of the Civil War centennial "at the request of Aiken Rep. John A. May."

"May told us he was going to introduce a resolution to fly the flag for a year from the capitol. I was against the flag going up," Hollis said, "but I kept quiet and went along."

The resolution was approved in 1962, but never included a date for the flag’s removal.

"It just stayed up," Hollis said. "Nobody raised a question."

— Eugene Robinson on Sunday, June 21st, 2015 in comments on NBC's "Meet the Press"
http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...erate-flag-wasnt-flown-south-carolina-state-/

--Considering the age of some of the victims who lived through this history of desegregation, dismantling this symbol is long past due considering the original intention behind flying it in 1961.

Symbols are powerful. Now, it really does belong to the mass killer – as his symbol for his racist cause. It is attached to crimes against humanity.

Yes I remember reading books about the Zebra murders. Horrible stuff. I think they even tied one victim up like a thanksgiving turkey:(
And I have lived in the south for my entire life. Most people here don't even know about that case.
jmo

How long has it been since multiple victims were murdered and targeted all because of their race? I know there have been hate crimes committed against a sole victim but I was trying to recall when multiple victims were murdered because of this despicable motive.

I am old enough to remember the Zebra Murders back in the 70s that happened in CA where 16 white victims were murdered by four black Muslims and many others were severely injured. They were randomly targeted based on their skin color. In fact I read recently that one of the four involved has died in prison.

So I got me to thinking when is the last time multiple AAs were murdered by those filled with racist hate?

IMO

The latest SPLC report on lone wolf domestic terrorists lists quite a few. Here's a link to their timeline from 2009 up to the end of 2014.

http://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/downloads/publication/timeline_terror_splc-lonewolf.pdf

Probably the most recent one to fit that description is Frazier Glenn Miller, an anti-Semite who killed 3 people at a Jewish community center in Overland Park, KS. Ironically, all the people he killed at the Jewish Community Center were Christians, not that it makes a difference. That happened in April 2014. Miller is retired Army, and a former Green Beret who was formerly head of the Carolina Knights of the KKK and the White Patriot Party.

In 2012, two white men drove through a black neighborhood of northern Tulsa, OK, randomly shooting 5 black people, three of whom died.

August 5, 2012, Nazi skin-head Wayne Michael Page killed 6 people in a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, WI. Page was a member of a white supremacist group called Hammerskin Nation.

There are more in the report at the link above. Most of these domestic terrorists target people either because they're racist or anti-government. Anti-government terrorists usually target law enforcement and government buildings, but there is often overlap.

The latest SPLC report on lone wolf domestic terrorists lists quite a few. Here's a link to their timeline from 2009 up to the end of 2014.

http://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/downloads/publication/timeline_terror_splc-lonewolf.pdf

Probably the most recent one to fit that description is Frazier Glenn Miller, an anti-Semite who killed 3 people at a Jewish community center in Overland Park, KS. Ironically, all the people he killed at the Jewish Community Center were Christians, not that it makes a difference. That happened in April 2014. Miller is retired Army, and a former Green Beret who was formerly head of the Carolina Knights of the KKK and the White Patriot Party.

In 2012, two white men drove through a black neighborhood of northern Tulsa, OK, randomly shooting 5 black people, three of whom died.

August 5, 2012, Nazi skin-head Wayne Michael Page killed 6 people in a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, WI. Page was a member of a white supremacist group called Hammerskin Nation.

There are more in the report at the link above. Most of these domestic terrorists target people either because they're racist or anti-government. Anti-government terrorists usually target law enforcement and government buildings, but there is often overlap.

Thank you so much Betty for answering my question.

I am going to read the link now.

IMO

IMO
Not because of race, but because of nationality, the Tsarnaev brothers did the Boston bombing to kill Americans.

I was going to add the Wisconsin Sikh killings, that was because of religion, but I see it was mentioned above.

IMO

Very well put.

Confederate flag debate sweeps Southern states

Mississippi State Sen. Kenneth Wayne Jones, a Democrat and the chairman of the state legislature's black caucus, said Tuesday that South Carolina took a "bold step" forward and said his state will now follow that lead.

Republican and Democratic leaders in the Tennessee's Legislature are also taking a closer look at the Tennessee state flag, which includes Confederate symbols, and are calling for the removal of a bust of Confederate General and Ku Klux Klan leader Nathan Bedford Forrest which currently sits outside the state senate chamber.

Activists are also calling for a closer look at the state flags of six other Southern states, in addition to those of Mississippi and Tennessee, which also include symbols evoking those states' Civil War battle flags. They include Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia and North Carolina.

And in Virginia, Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe tied the shootings to a recent Supreme Court ruling on the use of the flag on state license plates, when he called for end to its use in that format in his state.
"I have directed Secretary of Transportation Aubrey Layne to develop a plan for replacing the currently-issued plates as quickly as possible," McAuliffe said at an event Tuesday morning.

http://www.wisn.com/politics/confede...tates/33727122

-These symbols really belong in historical museums. I am impressed by the response even though political gain will be at the center of the doubters. But it shows me that this tragedy has broken the hearts of many and of the need to evolve. People feel what they feel, and think what they think, but taking down the flag and other monuments, disassociating from its identity at the government level because it does not and never did represent all the people would be an important step, and an acknowledgement to the SC 9 who died in the hate filled interpretation it has come to represent. .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinLu