SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
His fellow inmates knew who he was and how rich he was.
I suspect his cell mate and others are getting protection money. They can only get a small amount in commissary money, but their relatives o the outside can cash in as well. If he runs out of friends on the outside to provide help, Time in jail will be much more unpleasant.

"Can't Pay Phone Bill"
"Can't Buy Clean Underwear"

These are literally meme-worthy bites from Harpootlian/Murdaugh. The level of contempt, like "have mercy on me, fellow poor people!" is worthy of attention far and wide.

He stole every dime’: Judge To Issue Written Decision In Alex Murdaugh’s Action-Packed Bond Hearing

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/01/10...itten-decision-in-alex-murdaugh-bond-hearing/

During the hearing, there were several references to Murdaugh’s jailhouse phone calls, in which the state accused him of behaving like a man who believed he had access to his assets, noting that Murdaugh mentioned his $2.2 million retirement account and even told a family member to go ahead and spend money on golf.

“Those jail calls don’t seem to be from someone one who is destitute, who has less than $10,000,” prosecutor Creighton Waters said. “It’s very clear he is telling relatives go ahead and spend money. ‘I’ve already worked it out, I’m going to pay you back.’”

“Those jail calls don’t seem to be from someone one who is destitute, who has less than $10,000,” prosecutor Creighton Waters said. “It’s very clear he is telling relatives go ahead and spend money. ‘I’ve already worked it out, I’m going to pay you back.’”

Waters said Alex Murdaugh is heard on jailhouse phone calls telling family members to spend money because “he has it worked out.” Specifically, Alex is heard on the phone telling relatives “you need me to send you $4,000 or $5,000 for golf? I don’t want you to play golf without at least being able to get some drinks at the bar and a souvenir shirt.”

In another call, Waters said Murdaugh is heard telling someone else that a relative is loaning him money.
AM’s conversations from jail about money strike me as weird. As an attorney, or for that matter anyone who watches crime drama on TV, he should know his calls are going to be monitored. Is he bating LE with exaggerations, falsehoods, or wishful thinking in his conversations, or does he just not care?

AM’s conversations from jail about money strike me as weird. As an attorney, or for that matter anyone who watches crime drama on TV, he should know his calls are going to be monitored. Is he bating LE with exaggerations, falsehoods, or wishful thinking in his conversations, or does he just not care?
More to this, for sure. Good catch.

My thoughts too. He can't be that stupid can he? Especially now that his mind is clearer than it has been for years due to all that opiod.

My thoughts too. He can't be that stupid can he? Especially now that his mind is clearer than it has been for years due to all that opiod.
In TV shows I’ve also seen where conversation from jail sound normal but are actually a code understood between jailed speaker and listener, like coded instructions or messages.

Just making this up — total fantasy — but for instance if the inmate talks about the cost of a golf game and who should play, could it be coded clues that some contraband is hidden in the bottom of his golf bag or in his club locker, and the potential “golfer” should retrieve it to destroy it, and for doing so the inmate would compensate him with his “greens fee.” Just a story I made up for illustration.

It's that he cares more about his image as a powerful person than he cares about his image as someone who is in need of reduced bail. He is (along with his remaining immediate cohorts) so used to abusing the law that he believes "okay, if I don't have any money in any accounts that are legally traceable to me then there is a legal precedent for my bail to be reduced and I can expect a judge to reduce it".

He may or may not (but probably does) realize that this is putting pressure onto investigators to bring more serious charges against him for which it would not be appropriate to reduce bail. Normal people are in no hurry to have let's say murder charges brought against them but an experienced attorney knows that if it's going to come, the quicker it comes means the less evidence will be collected by the prosecution and the less prepared they will be to make their case against him while he has probably has had his defense on that charge planned out far in advance and if/once murder charges are brought against him he can invoke his right to a speedy trial.

"Can't Pay Phone Bill"
"Can't Buy Clean Underwear"

These are literally meme-worthy bites from Harpootlian/Murdaugh. The level of contempt, like "have mercy on me, fellow poor people!" is worthy of attention far and wide.
Exactly! It's not like the "fact" that he can't pay his phone bill or buy underwear negates his freaking crimes! Regardless of his potential status as a murderer, he's evil.

Exactly! It's not like the "fact" that he can't pay his phone bill or buy underwear negates his freaking crimes! Regardless of his potential status as a murderer, he's evil.

Are the receivers not paying his bills? The Edisto home was in the rears for 21-22 taxes $13,000, evidently they were paid the home was to be auctioned if not on dec 10. Iirc It is not showing up for being auctioned. Nothing in the news about it.
Owed father 300,000 paid off 100,000 CC.

Seems the phone bill is all he did pay. Does he have his phone in jail?
Jmo

I believe AM is actually that clueless when it comes to understanding that the rules (ie phone monitoring) apply to him. He obviously believes it's normal for the son to need 4 or 5K for a golf outing, drinks and a souvenir shirt. :confused:

MOO

I believe AM is actually that clueless when it comes to understanding that the rules (ie phone monitoring) apply to him. He obviously believes it's normal for the son to need 4 or 5K for a golf outing, drinks and a souvenir shirt. :confused:

MOO
The tone-deafness (if that's a word) is astounding. :rolleyes:

I think he really believes that the people are still in place to provide the outcome he expects. After all, this situation has been in place for nearly a hundred years, it is a way off life and he knows no other. I don't think he could describe the "real world" if he tried. MOO MOO MOO MOO

He can have someone put money in another inmates account but can’t pay phone bill.

Still want to know why he has a phone
Or phone bill he needs to worry about. Maybe if he worries about the phone bill and lack of panties it helps keep hus mind off of the deaths of his wife and son.

Jmo

JUST IN: The SC Supreme Court issued an order in opposition of the writ of habeas corpus filed by Alex Murdaugh‘s attorneys in November, calling it “moot.”

It’s one of many recent blows to the Murdaugh’s camp.

@elizfarrell with the scoop
https://twitter.com/mandymatney/status/1481698250801524746?s=21
[URL='https://twitter.com/mandymatney/status/1481698250801524746?s=21'][/URL]
[URL]https://twitter.com/mandymatney/status/1481698250801524746?s=21[/URL]

https://www.fitsnews.com/2022/01/13/sc-supreme-court-denies-alex-murdaughs-petition-to-be-released-from-jail/

The Supreme Court of South Carolina issued an order Wednesday in opposition of the writ of habeas corpus filed by Alex Murdaugh‘s attorneys in November, calling it “moot.”

The writ was filed by state Sen. Dick Harpootlian, one of Murdaugh’s attorneys, on Nov. 10, 2021, the same day Judge Clifton Newman again denied bond to Murdaugh on two county charges related to an alleged scheme to steal $4.3 million from the family of the woman who helped raise his children.

<snip>

On Dec. 13, the presiding judge of the state grand jury, the Honorable Alison Lee, set Murdaugh’s bond at $7 million.

This past Monday, Lee heard arguments from the Murdaugh team, which was seeking to reduce his bond to an amount Murdaugh can afford.

Lee is expected to issue a written decision on Murdaugh’s request this week.

The Supreme Court Justices rejected the writ “because Petitioner has been indicted on the charges for which the Honorable Clifton Newman denied bond after his arrest, and the Honorable Alison Lee has set bond for Petitioner on those charges, the request for a writ of habeas corpus is moot.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper