SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what you mean by sub-par care. Do you mean this?

"There is charting by radiology to the effect that at one point her endotracheal tube was positioned too far in (touching the carina) and that an arterial line was in the wrong place, both of which eventually were rectified.” ??

As an experienced ICU nurse I can tell you that those procedures are ALWAYS followed up by x-rays precisely to determine if the placement is exactly where it should be. Probably 50% of the time- those adjustments to placement are made post-imaging. This is absolutely normal everyday procedures in an ICU environment (ER as well).
Yes, that is what I was referring to. I meant no disrespect to you or any medical professional. I am going to see if I can find which hospital she was admitted to (just out of curiosity). The Moselle property is rural and located between major medical centers in Charleston, SC or Savannah, GA. With those type of injuries, I hope she was admitted to either of those facilities and not one of the smaller hospitals in the area.

There were even more injuries besides the 12 broken vertebrae and crushed skull:

According to a 2018 report from attorney Scott Wallinger, who was hired by Lloyds of London to represent Alex Murdaugh in the case, Gloria sustained a right-sided head laceration, a right-sided subdural hematoma, a traumatic brain injury, multiple left-side posterior rib fractures, a partially collapsed lung and a plumonary contusion.
Prior to her death on Feb. 26, 2018, “she had surgery to repair her broken ribs and to reconstruct her chest wall, and to remove significant blood in her chest cavity.”
“The (subdural hematoma) was evaluated to not be operable,” the report said. “Doctors also suspected but never located a bowel perforation. She had bilateral chest drains. There is charting by radiology to the effect that at one point her endotracheal tube was positioned too far in (touching the carina) and that an arterial line was in the wrong place, both of which eventually were rectified.

Where I live is cow country. There are many working ranches around here along with rodeos and farmers. Both men and women work them and a lot of them are older than GS.

I have seen a lot of people I know injured in my very long life (I am 3 days older than dirt lol) and heard of a lot more. Being bucked off a horse or bull, rolling an ATV or riding mower over on you, rolling a pickup truck, falling off tractors, combines ect, having heavy machinery roll forward and hit you, getting pinned between trucks. And that's just an ordinary day at the office for a lot of people around here. The majority walk away with a few broken ribs, maybe a broken collar bone or shoulder, a broken leg, or foot or in extreme cases a hip.

Just one kind of famous example of what goes on around here. lol

That is not even counting what the teenagers get up to on weekends with some of those double dog dare you's.

Seeing and hearing what goes on around here where people are not injured that badly, I think the kind of injuries GS had comes from a catastrophic incident. I can't even imagine unless someone took a baseball bat and beat the crap out of her or as you said stomped her with some heavy hunting boots or hit her at high speed with a heavy farm truck.

It is overwhelming to think of what she went through and the pain she suffered.

I don't know what happened to her but I am pretty sure it didn't happen falling UP 8 steps to a porch. Or down.

Guess we will know after they exhume her and do a formal autopsy.

I could be wrong.

JMO
In the incident that killed him, didn't Stephan Smith ALSO suffer blunt force injury and lacerations to the RIGHT side of his head? I believe the lacerations were actually so severe they punctured his skull.

Didn't the medical examiner or pathologist claim death by vehicle collision, based on the premise that since SS's body was found in the middle of the road, his head injury must have come from impact with the side view mirror of a truck passing by as he was facing it, supposedly walking along the road in his untied shoes after his car ran out of gas and he left it sitting on the side of the road - his wallet inside - to walk home?

ETA: A couple related reminders: The troopers that investigated at the scene where SS was found disputed the pathologist's findings, reporting they found NO evidence of such a collision. They found no broken glass or vehicle parts nearby, no signs of sudden braking, that SS did NOT have certain other injuries that might be expected (e.g. road rash), and SS was still wearing the loosely untied shoes he'd been walking in even though one would expect an impact severe enough to punch a hole in someone's skull would also lift that person out of loosely-worn shoes.

Last edited:
In the incident that killed him, didn't Stephan Smith ALSO suffer blunt force injury and lacerations to the RIGHT side of his head? I believe the lacerations were actually so severe they punctured his skull.

Didn't the medical examiner or pathologist claim death by vehicle collision, based on the premise that since SS's body was found in the middle of the road, his head injury must have come from impact with the side view mirror of a truck passing by as he was facing it, supposedly walking along the road in his untied shoes after his car ran out of gas and he left it sitting on the side of the road - his wallet inside - to walk home?

ETA: A couple related reminders: The troopers that investigated at the scene where SS was found disputed the pathologist's findings, reporting they found NO evidence of such a collision. They found no broken glass or vehicle parts nearby, no signs of sudden braking, that SS did NOT have certain other injuries that might be expected (e.g. road rash), and SS was still wearing the loosely untied shoes he'd been walking in even though one would expect an impact severe enough to punch a hole in someone's skull would also lift that person out of loosely-worn shoes.
Yeah, I would love to find out WHAT found out in the investigation into the Murdaugh murders led SLED to re-open SS's case.

The Colleton County 911 call was made by Maggie Murdaugh around 9:24 a.m. During the 6:32 minute call, Murdaugh reports that Satterfield had fallen while climbing up a flight of eight brick steps and was bleeding from the top of her head. After a series of questions, 911 dispatchers were able to learn that Satterfield was on the ground at the bottom of the steps, mumbling, somewhat semi-conscious, but not really responding.

Satterfield died after allegedly falling at the Murdaugh home in 2018. She was then taken to a hospital in Savannah, Ga before being airlifted to a hospital in Summerville. Satterfield remained in the hospital for three weeks before she died from a subdural hematoma.

Don't forget the momentary ruling by the coroner that it was a shooting death.......

The Colleton County 911 call was made by Maggie Murdaugh around 9:24 a.m. During the 6:32 minute call, Murdaugh reports that Satterfield had fallen while climbing up a flight of eight brick steps and was bleeding from the top of her head. After a series of questions, 911 dispatchers were able to learn that Satterfield was on the ground at the bottom of the steps, mumbling, somewhat semi-conscious, but not really responding.

Satterfield died after allegedly falling at the Murdaugh home in 2018. She was then taken to a hospital in Savannah, Ga before being airlifted to a hospital in Summerville. Satterfield remained in the hospital for three weeks before she died from a subdural hematoma.

"Satterfield had fallen while climbing up a flight of eight brick steps..."

So the force of a gravity inspired fall down the steps doesn't apply. That seems even more suspect to me. I wonder how MM knew it was a fall up the stairs if she didn't witness it and GS was talking gibberish and couldn't tell her after the fact?

I can't get over the fact that neither LE or the doctors who treated her reported this as a possible crime or at the very least suspicious. I guess money really does talk in this area.

Imo, anyone involved with this death being determined to be "natural causes," needs to be charged with at least Obstruction of Justice.

It seems to me like PM was killed first and MM ran from the killings only to be shot in the back.
I haven''t seen where its been discussed but I would bet she's running from the kennels so facing away from them.
I don't know what the motivation would be to kill PM, other than his legal fees were adding up, but I just have a feeling he was killed first.
BBM
I don't know what the motivation would be to kill PM,

Up thread I posted a quote from Fitznews that the older son was expected to inherit millions from his grandfather. I jumped to the conclusion it was the Murdaugh GF but later considered it could be from MM's side. No reason to think both boys would not have inherited an equal share. Consider that Alex would have been PM's heir in addition to MM's.

If he had pulled off the murders and escaped detection, he could have inherited millions from PM's estate at a future date if those millions was in a trust fund for PM. At the very least he could have gotten power of attorney over PM's estate and bled that trust fund dry.

Keep in mind those many phone calls (or attempted phone calls) from jail to MM's parents after asking BM if they would be open to talking to him.

JMO

Imo, anyone involved with this death being determined to be "natural causes," needs to be charged with at least Obstruction of Justice.
Yeah it all seems pretty egregious...her death not reported to coroner at once, an autopsy was never done and death certificate says she died of natural causes in lieu of countless traumatic and obvious injuries. Lots of people need to be deposed in this case, IMO

Regarding the use of 2 guns- I heard on a local podcast that it was not unusual for the Murdaugh's to have guns left out on their property. Especially the one used to kill PM. It was a hunting property. So, in essence, maybe AM shot MM with Gun#1 but used all the ammo and was not expecting to have to kill PM so he grabbed Gun#2 to finish the job?
I am inclined to think it was the other way around. I hope I am right in stating this if not some posters who know more about guns might weigh in, but I think it is harder to determine or run ballistics on a shotgun to determine who it is registered to than a rifle that has a bullet that can be recovered from a body and matched to a certain gun.

For this reason I think the shotgun was meant for MM to make it harder to determine who owned the gun used to kill her. I think PM got in the way to stop his father from killing his mother so the shotgun was used on him instead.

I also think the AR style rifle is one that was normally carried in a gun rack in a truck or was stored near the kennels. That's why MM had time to run. AM had to get the other gun.

JMO

“The law enforcement source tells PEOPLE that Maggie initially declined to meet Alex at the family home, suggesting instead that they meet at the hospital. Ultimately, she consented to meet at the property, planning to follow Alex to the hospital in her own vehicle.

On her way to the house, Maggie allegedly messaged a friend, saying that something about her husband's behavior felt "fishy," the law enforcement source says. "He's up to something," Maggie allegedly wrote to her friend.

When Maggie arrived at the scene, she left her car running and walked to the dog kennels on the estate where her son, Paul, was taking photos of a dog he was watching for a friend.”

Yeah, I would love to find out WHAT found out in the investigation into the Murdaugh murders led SLED to re-open SS's case.
Me too.. I have been waiting for that detail of clarity on what alerted them to reinvestigate the Smith case.... I hope this brings great scrutiny on law officials who were most likely in the Murdaugh web of deceit. Soooo many more heads should be rolling in that there Low Country.

“The law enforcement source tells PEOPLE that Maggie initially declined to meet Alex at the family home, suggesting instead that they meet at the hospital. Ultimately, she consented to meet at the property, planning to follow Alex to the hospital in her own vehicle.

On her way to the house, Maggie allegedly messaged a friend, saying that something about her husband's behavior felt "fishy," the law enforcement source says. "He's up to something," Maggie allegedly wrote to her friend.

When Maggie arrived at the scene, she left her car running and walked to the dog kennels on the estate where her son, Paul, was taking photos of a dog he was watching for a friend.”

Wow, it's all coming out now.....

If they're checking into GS's death, and SS's, they might want to check out RM's (AM's dad) death. At this point, I wouldn't put it past him to 'speed up the process', the estate was divided between the siblings so that meant $$$ in AM's empty pockets.

Sheesh, this is almost to horrific to think about. It seems like a very bad made for TV movie. :(

MOO

Is there a window on second story above stairs or access to roof? Unless she had osteoporosis I find it hard to believe a tumble down a few stairs caused that much damage. Yes they are stone but that reads as some pretty catastrophic damage. Falling out a second story window or off the roof on to the stairs seems a bit more plausible.

Edited to add: found some better pictures. What I call a 1.5 story, with dormers. So maybe some kind of ladder to clean or change light bulbs, doubt she was cleaning the gutters. Seems like ladder would have been mentioned though.

My grandfather in his late 60’s fell out of bed and busted ribs and did some internal damage. He also was chain smoker, hard drinker and thought they had studio 54 going on in the area in the 70’s so not the best example of health.
I am thinking someone with that severe osteoporosis would not have been working at a physical job like housekeeping that may have required heavy lifting, moving furniture around, mopping and vacuuming floors, climbing on stepladders to change bulbs, dust ect. I would think they would not have been working at all unless it was a desk job. I could be wrong though.

JMO

I might be wrong, but when I read about GS falling on the steps, from what was said, I thought, she was walking up the stairs but fell backwards down the steps. That’s a much worse fall than just tripping going up, but I can’t imagine even that causing the injuries they say she suffered.
AM’s timeline on this is suspicious in my opinion and MM and PM were asleep when it happened. There are no witnesses, just AM claiming what GS told him. I think it was just another one of his scams to get money. He didn’t mind hurting people.

If they're checking into GS's death, and SS's, they might want to check out RM's (AM's dad) death. At this point, I wouldn't put it past him to 'speed up the process', the estate was divided between the siblings so that meant $$$ in AM's empty pockets.

Sheesh, this is almost to horrific to think about. It seems like a very bad made for TV movie. :(

MOO
57 seasons on Fletnix. It just wouldn't be credible.

Honestly, it's like: he stands next you, you're next.

I hope this man doesn't get away with a single murder. May it all come to light.

JMO

I think I read somewhere that one of the kids disposed in the boating accident said the rumor was that SS was hit with a baseball bat from a moving vehicle while he was walking down the road. Odd that GS's injuries are close in scope. Maybe that bat was used more than once.

No link just my faulty memory.

JMO

Red Brick

6 steps to the porch.
I have similar steps to my front porch and have missed a step and fallen but I broke my fall and caught myself so was not injured except for scratches from the bricks and sore wrist...nothing permanent and did not even go to the doctor. I would be interested to know if GS had any indication that she tried to break her fall. No way she could be severely injured from those steps unless she was forcefully pushed IMHO. Wonder if the back of the house has a walk out basement/lower level with more steps from a first floor level??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member