SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moo .maybe some people were trying to steal the dogs (good hunting dogs are worth $ or to use as bait dogs). Son hears dogs flipping out. He goes to check. ..his mom following behind. Then boom . Moo

I like your theory…just can’t see MM leaving her house…a football field away…on a rainy night.

PM, yes…but not her. And having lived in rural areas…our dogs go crazy over lots of things. Deer, wild hogs,coyotes, foxes, and in my neighborhood…bears.

Maybe if he saw headlights. But then, isolated as they are…in that case, wary of trouble, he might take a gun himself.

Moo .maybe some people were trying to steal the dogs (good hunting dogs are worth $ or to use as bait dogs). Son hears dogs flipping out. He goes to check. ..his mom following behind. Then boom . Moo

Good point about pure bred dogs and especially professionally trained hunting dogs being valuable and thus attracting the attention of local burglars.

Such a motive is clearly possible. At the same time, there seem to be subjective elements that might reduce the chances of a "dog theft gone bad" motive:

- The perpetrators came "ready for war" with a shotgun and probably an AR15 clone. Though weapons are common in SC, this still seems like overkill for a burglary type crime where the intention is not to confront anyone.

- The perpetrators then quickly escalate the crime from burglary to double murder. Though such escalation does occur, statistically, most garage, barn and say, kennel burglars stay burglars after being confronted and just flee.

- One of the victims was disfigured. This implies a personal motive. Though it is possible that local burglars in a poor county might not like wealth and view the victim as representing it, the totality seems very personal and not just a general dislike of say, wealthy individuals.

Last edited:
Good point about pure bred dogs and especially professionally trained hunting dogs being valuable and thus attracting the attention of local burglars.

Such a motive is clearly possible. At the same time, there seem to be subjective elements that might reduce the chances of a "dog theft gone bad" motive:

- The perpetrators came "ready for war" with a shotgun and probably an AR15 clone. Though weapons are common in SC, this still seems like overkill for a burglary type crime where the intention is not to confront anyone.

- The perpetrators then quickly escalate the crime from burglary to double murder. Though such escalation does occur, statistically, most garage, barn and say, kennel burglars stay burglars after being confronted and just flee.

- One of the victims was disfigured. This implies a personal motive. Though it is possible that local burglars in a poor county might not like wealth and view the victim as representing it, the totality seems very personal and not just a general dislike of say, wealthy individuals.
I totally agree. MOO this was very personal. After I read the details of the night on the boat and death of MB, I wanted PM to be punished, and I felt anger towards him, and I'm not connected in any way. I too thought they would have an arrest by now!

About the only thing that I’ve figured out after obsessing over this case for the past 3 weeks constantly looking at pictures of the this family from Facebook is that I need to get out and do way more outdoors stuff with my children. All those pictures of them hunting and fishing together makes me kind of envious. Lol. I know you can’t go on what someone puts on Facebook, but it looks like they were very active in their children’s life. Maggie looks like a super sweet person that loves her family and her dogs. PM was obviously a spoiled brat and a horrible person that needed lots of counseling and help. But how common is that? Especially in rich families that can afford to have court side seats at their alma mater college and have boats and houses working out of their ears. It could be true that him or his brother was involved in the killing of SS. But it could also just be a rumor spread by someone that didn’t like them. I believe SS’s mother that the investigation into his death was pure bull crap, but cops that are too busy and overworked or just plain incompetent are way more common than plots to cover things up that would take multiple people to pull it off (medical examiners, detectives, etc).

I’d say they kept a shotgun in one of the buildings or the hunting lodge. Here in Kentucky I know several people that do that. They lock it up in a room that locks in their barn. It won’t be your prize shotgun, just something you could use if you encounter a poisonous snake or a drugged up redneck while you’re down there working on something. Especially if you’re not the type to carry a pistol on your person and the barn is a pretty good distance from your house. They also could have kept a few guns in the hunting lodge all the time for all I know. Or PM couId have brought a shotgun from the house to see why the dogs were going crazy barking. He could have hesitated shooting someone and then had the gun taken away and used on him. Maggie couId have heard that and did the same thing with a rifle. She could have panicked and ran from the house toward the out buildings instead of calling 911 first like she should have.

When you hear hoofs, think horses, not zebra. I think someone knew the family well enough to know that the patriarch was super sick and headed to the hospital. That person could have thought that Maggie would be going to the hospital too and Paul was in Columbia or at the hospital too. So it was their opportunity to go there and steal stuff or to get something that they thought was rightfully theirs (??? fired care taker, meth head, an unsavory associate that knew what all they had out in those buildings).

I can’t think of a good explanation as to why SLED would say there was no threat to the public. Maybe they already have arrested one or more of the perpetrators under different charges and have them in a jail that we haven’t thought to search online yet. Maybe both the guns that were used were the Murdaugh’s and they were left at the scene, so SLED thinks that they are unarmed now.

The only thing though about the dog theft scenario is there would still be a threat to others who own costly animals.

Right now, any of one of our theories posted could be right.

It could be…

1. completely random…killer or killers did not know them.
2. burglary gone wrong
3 drug deal gone wrong
4 vengeance for SS
5 vengeance for MB
6. vengeance for the maid
7 one of the victims kills the other, and a third party kills the survivor in a rage,
8. disgruntled employee
9. a combination of any above

Did I leave anything out? Anything to add as we wait for more information or arrests?

About the only thing that I’ve figured out after obsessing over this case for the past 3 weeks constantly looking at pictures of the this family from Facebook is that I need to get out and do way more outdoors stuff with my children. All those pictures of them hunting and fishing together makes me kind of envious. Lol. I know you can’t go on what someone puts on Facebook, but it looks like they were very active in their children’s life. Maggie looks like a super sweet person that loves her family and her dogs. PM was obviously a spoiled brat and a horrible person that needed lots of counseling and help. But how common is that? Especially in rich families that can afford to have court side seats at their alma mater college and have boats and houses working out of their ears. It could be true that him or his brother was involved in the killing of SS. But it could also just be a rumor spread by someone that didn’t like them. I believe SS’s mother that the investigation into his death was pure bull crap, but cops that are too busy and overworked or just plain incompetent are way more common than plots to cover things up that would take multiple people to pull it off (medical examiners, detectives, etc).

I’d say they kept a shotgun in one of the buildings or the hunting lodge. Here in Kentucky I know several people that do that. They lock it up in a room that locks in their barn. It won’t be your prize shotgun, just something you could use if you encounter a poisonous snake or a drugged up redneck while you’re down there working on something. Especially if you’re not the type to carry a pistol on your person and the barn is a pretty good distance from your house. They also could have kept a few guns in the hunting lodge all the time for all I know. Or PM couId have brought a shotgun from the house to see why the dogs were going crazy barking. He could have hesitated shooting someone and then had the gun taken away and used on him. Maggie couId have heard that and did the same thing with a rifle. She could have panicked and ran from the house toward the out buildings instead of calling 911 first like she should have.

When you hear hoofs, think horses, not zebra. I think someone knew the family well enough to know that the patriarch was super sick and headed to the hospital. That person could have thought that Maggie would be going to the hospital too and Paul was in Columbia or at the hospital too. So it was their opportunity to go there and steal stuff or to get something that they thought was rightfully theirs (??? fired care taker, meth head, an unsavory associate that knew what all they had out in those buildings).

I can’t think of a good explanation as to why SLED would say there was no threat to the public. Maybe they already have arrested one or more of the perpetrators under different charges and have them in a jail that we haven’t thought to search online yet. Maybe both the guns that were used were the Murdaugh’s and they were left at the scene, so SLED thinks that they are unarmed now.

Excellent post. Thank you!

Snipped by me -

I also believe the killer(s) knew the patriarch was very sick but also knew that PM was staying @ Moselle to be close until the end.
Time to exact revenge ...

In response to JLeeryan99’s last post:

Thank you for focusing on the humanity of these (IMO) victims. I have the same reaction as you to Maggie’s FB life and shudder at the horror she endured. Paul was a flawed character and preparing to face the consequences for his actions (albeit with legal representation that most people don’t get) but the legal remedies were taking shape. Thank you for reflecting on that for at least a moment.

In response to JLeeryan99’s last post:

Thank you for focusing on the humanity of these (IMO) victims. I have the same reaction as you to Maggie’s FB life and shudder at the horror she endured. Paul was a flawed character and preparing to face the consequences for his actions (albeit with legal representation that most people don’t get) but the legal remedies were taking shape. Thank you for reflecting on that for at least a moment.

If PM had pertinent information about another crime (regardless of how he came about having it) do you think prosecutors would have considered working a deal with him?

If PM had pertinent information about another crime (regardless of how he came about having it) do you think prosecutors would have considered working a deal with him?

Now that’s a very interesting thought. And if he was considering giving someone else up for an earlier crime…in order to save himself…that’s certainly a motive to silence him.

It could be…

2. burglary gone wrong
3 drug deal gone wrong
4 vengeance for SS
5 vengeance for MB
7 one of the victims kills the other, and a third party kills the survivor in a rage,
8. disgruntled employee

Did I leave anything out? Anything to add as we wait for more information or arrests?
You're leaving out hundreds of business people who have been sued by PMP in courts controlled by the Murdaughs exploiting highly unusual and, in my opinion, unfair statutes in their county - statutes that have allowed them to sue companies nationwide who might have no idea they were exposing themselves to such risk.

Once I learned about that, I realized the motive pool is literally as deep as the middle of Lake Superior. "No enemies", give us a break.

It could be…

2. burglary gone wrong
3 drug deal gone wrong
4 vengeance for SS
5 vengeance for MB
8. disgruntled employee

I think you may have forgotten a grudge stemming from a lawsuit.

Though the firm seems to have presented themselves as "Robin Hood for the little guy"- never mind the fact that big companies pass the costs the consumers as a whole, they had about 70 local targets on the county docket at one time. Then factor in that pattern had been going on for years.

You're leaving out hundreds of business people who have been sued by PMP in courts controlled by the Murdaughs exploiting highly unusual and, in my opinion, unfair statutes in their county - statutes that have allowed them to sue companies nationwide who might have no idea they were exposing themselves to such risk.

Once I learned about that, I realized the motive pool is literally as deep as the middle of Lake Superior. "No enemies", give us a break.
Well said.

I am thinking that while the firm would have loved to been in on a Boeing settlement, these probably went to the national level firms.

As a result, the firm's usual targets may have been far down the food chain and consisting of mainly individuals, and small to midsize companies. In the end, Sue'em attorneys are a dime a dozen.

Though the, as you noted, the uhmm...... "special arrangements" undoubtably attracted some out of state clients targeting national companies, there is just an awful lot of Sue'em competitors out there for anything that even remotely looks juicy.

Thus, a pretty good chance of hundreds of small targets over the years for the firm- despite their ambitions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member