SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even sure the family of GS was entitled to the insurance payout.

GS was never insured by the Murdaugh's insurance. The payout was as if a stranger had fallen on their stairs and sued the Murdaughs.

But now I'm thinking that Cory Fleming didn't make it clear that he was suing AM 's Insurance for the benefit of AM.

The Murdaugh clan made a huge business out of suing for stuff and accepting insurance payouts. Someone needs to look at the insurance rackets paying all these claims, too. That's all they did.
Mebbe someone can explain me how this works.

I had a clause in my home insurance to cover anyone who was injured while working on my property. If someone was injured, the claim would be filed with my insurance company. If my insurance company refused to pay, I suppose the injured party would need a lawyer to sue me for compensation. If a lawyer is required to negotiate the payment, the legal fee is typically 30% of the settlement. I wonder whether the housekeeper's sons even needed a lawyer. Wouldn't death at work have a fixed settlement amount?

It sounds like Alex gave his insurance info to his friend, and advised the housekeeper's sons to hire his friend. The insurance company paid $500k to the lawyer. The lawyer would take 30% and then the remaining funds should be transferred to the housekeeper's sons.

It almost sounds like Alex said that he would oversee the money, and then set up an estate trust for the housekeeper's sons. From there, the money perhaps vanished.

Why would AM introduce trying to commit suicide as a reason for the latest incident, just to debunk it. What is the context? It feels like he was offering information that wouldn't have initially been assumed.

To me this makes the event seem even more suspicious, and even more likely to be a botched suicide, staged after the fact to be a drive-by attack by unknown persons.

After listening to the 911 call snippets, I agree that it does sound like he's admonishing (the now deceased) Paul for getting involved in some way. It might be worth trying to clean up the audio to see if there's any other unguarded comments being made in the background.

Bear in mind that this is only speculation, but now I am leaning towards the theory that AM intended to kill his wife. Perhaps she had found out about the embezzlement and was threatening to go public, or had had enough of his drug addiction, or was threatening a costly divorce and the airing out of the family's dirty laundry.

He uses an assault rifle and perhaps a pretext to get her to come outside. He is not expecting Paul to be there, though. Paul hears the shots and comes running outside to investigate, carrying the shotgun with him. He is shocked to come upon his own father who manages to talk him down and to give him the shotgun. AM turns the shotgun on his son, fearful that the truth might come out if he doesn't kill him too. That would explain him being upset that Paul got involved. An unintended victim, collateral damage.
Certainly a theory that I can honestly say hasn’t been absent from my mind either ! Well written and articulated. I suppose time will tell but your theory definitely has legs as the saying goes

Thing about reputable rehab is they strictly limit your access to outside world. They dont want you interacting with potential stressors and you are very busy learning self care, involved in reflection, daily AA meetings, and various therapies — group, individual, art, music, acupuncture, etc.You might be allowed 2-3 ten-minute phone calls per week (you are not allowed to have cell phone) and only one face-to-face visit on a Sunday afternoon.
Those may be the “parameters” for a regular ol’ Joe like the rest of us, but a Murdaugh submitting to those kinds of restrictions?? Nah.... JMO

One thing I would like to throw out there about AM's "alibi". It was reported that he took his father to the hospital and stayed there with him visiting for hours. My brother who has heart problems recently had an episode with chest pains (Not a heart attack thank God). 911 was called and he was transported to the hospital. I don't know how it is in SC but I followed the ambulance to the hospital and was told at the emergency doors to wait outside. My sister brought him an overnight bag and was told the same thing after a nurse took the bag. The doctor came outside where we were waiting and told us his condition. We were informed we would not be allowed in the hospital to see or visit with him because of Covid so we went home. They called us when they were ready to discharge him. They brought him out to the car.

Based on this I am wondering about AM's "airtight alibi" of staying with his father at the hospital. As I said, that happened here and I do not know how the hospitals are handling Covid in SC but I would think it would be the same way as OK does.

Anyone else had any experience with hospitals doing this since Covid in other states?
JMO
I have had very recent experience but alas I am in the U.K.
We are still not allowing visitors in my city however, there are exceptions. My SIL has over the last 8 weeks developed ovarian cancer and has a tumour that is growing exponentially on a daily basis and already weighs well in excess of 30lbs and her waistline measures 6ft 6inches , I kid you not !
Consequently, when she first went into hospital, due to Covid rules, she was allowed zero visitors. When she had been in hospital about 10 days, due to the rate of growth of her tumour and the impact it was having throughout her insides, she was deemed very sick and exceptionally poorly and as a result, immediate family members only were allowed to visit within and outside of visiting hours but only a max of 2 visitors at any one time. I suspect that this was because they really had no idea if she was going to soon be too poorly to even recognise her family or fell into a state of unconsciousness. However, she rallied sufficiently to be allowed to go home where she is now some ten days since leaving the hospital. So although I don’t know if you are working to similar guidelines or adopting similar procedures and process, it may well be the case that AM was allowed to visit due to the belief that death could be imminent which of course in his case, it was. Food for thought but had I not have had this recent experience, I would definitely be thinking along the same lines as you are …

And yet, AM wasn't worried about being ambushed when he came upon the dead bodies of his wife and son at the Moselle property. Didn't he ever think that perhaps the shooters were still out there and waiting for him? Logic would dictate such a thought.

If AM had the wherewithal to reach in and grab his phone from his car before driving away with two strangers, on a road where he had just been shot by two strangers, then I find it interesting that he didn't enter his car at once and drive off with the run-flat tire. Even if the tire was completely flat, AM couldn't have ridden on the rim towards the nearest home or public place, while calling 911.

And this also begs the question: Why did AM even stop on a rural road to change a tire when his vehicle had run-flat tires that are standard in luxury vehicles these days?
Excellent point! You can’t change a run flat tyre yourself because of the way they are made and fitted ( I am quoting my local dealership unless of course they say that as a business opportunity but it’s easily found out and therefore, a risk IMOO)
My BMW doesn’t even have a run flat spare. I don’t know if that’s the case with your luxury vehicles or not….

So who was the "representative" of her estate that brought the initial lawsuit, an attorney or a bank representative? One of the articles named a someone with the initials CW of Palmetto State Bank as the estate representative. It didn't sound like Gloria had much (from what I have read) and it would be highly unusual for someone with little means to have a bank be their personal representative. I am confused about the players in this. JMO

ETA I found it and posted a settlement notice in another tweet between the bank representative and Alex.

Wow the person named as "personal representative of the [Gloria Satterfield] estate is the president of a bank. Is that a normal thing?

Murdaugh Murders: Housekeeper’s Family Says They Never Got Any Money In Death Settlement

Last edited:
BBM.

"On Dec. 19, 2018, a representative of Satterfield’s estate filed a wrongful death claim against Alex Murdaugh. The suit says Satterfield died from injuries she sustained in a trip-and-fall accident in Hampton County. The initial court filing said Murdaugh’s insurance provider would pay $500,000 plus an additional $5,000 for medical payments.

Of that money, $177,500 was to be paid to the law firm Moss, Kuhn & Fleming.

The claim was settled on Oct. 5, 2020, according to court filings. The documents do not indicate whether anything else was included in the settlement."
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article253592859.html

It seems like an attorney looking out for the best interests of GS’s family would not sue for the exact amount an insurance company would pay out. They would have sued for more.

More heads will roll because of the entire Murdaugh-and-buddies mess. Hopefully.

jmo

So who was the "representative" of her estate that brought the initial lawsuit, an attorney or a bank representative? One of the articles named a someone with the initials CW of Palmetto State Bank as the estate representative. It didn't sound like Gloria had much (from what I have read) and it would be highly unusual for someone with little means to have a bank be their personal representative. I am confused about the players in this. JMO

I too am confused. I'm wondering why a lawyer was needed. The housekeeper was killed accidentally while working at the Murdaugh home. I would assume that's a flat rate payout, especially since no one disputed that it happened.

Wouldn't Alex file a claim with his insurance company on behalf of the deceased? I'm wondering whether this could have been handled where the beneficiaries received the full $500k award.

Was there a mortgage or bank loan that needed to be paid?

Everyday is another jaw dropping revelation!! This one did stun me, I really thought that her family got their money. Those poor people.
And their nanny/housekeeper for 25 YEARS??!! She wasn’t some trust rando cleaning their house once a week, she WAS part of the family! Horrid, especially if her death (pretty sure I don’t buy the “tripped on the dog” story) was caused by what many are assuming COULD have caused her “trip and fall”. Her poor boys...JMO

I have wondered if AM was helping himself to Dad's (RM) pain meds? He was probably on palliative/hospice care and would more than likely be prescribed painkillers.

My Dad died from cancer at home and was on serious pain meds, oxycontin, morphine, etc. at the end. A family member who is an addict stole pills every time she showed up. :(

MOO
Do they not hook you up to a locked syringe driver device that automatically dispenses a pre determined dose of morphine or whatever drugs are in use, which has to be refilled by two certified nurses that are either McMillan cancer nurses or Community nurses, both of whom have different keys to the device that have to be used simultaneously in order to access the drugs within to either change the empty cartridge or refill it or change the dose on the electronic treatment system within , even when being administered at home? I ask because In my experience with my Dad, Mum and Sister all dying of cancer in a 4 year period, they all ceased to have actual pills a couple of weeks (or more ) beforehand because they were unable to either swallow them due to difficulty with the oesophagus or with the mouth dry and no saliva because they were unable to drink at all due to the sensation of drowning on the lungs and all fluids were IV administered. When it’s towards end of life palliative care, this is my experience.

BBM.

"On Dec. 19, 2018, a representative of Satterfield’s estate filed a wrongful death claim against Alex Murdaugh. The suit says Satterfield died from injuries she sustained in a trip-and-fall accident in Hampton County. The initial court filing said Murdaugh’s insurance provider would pay $500,000 plus an additional $5,000 for medical payments.

Of that money, $177,500 was to be paid to the law firm Moss, Kuhn & Fleming.

The claim was settled on Oct. 5, 2020, according to court filings. The documents do not indicate whether anything else was included in the settlement."
https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article253592859.html
RBBM. Now we need the deets of the October 2020 settlement, esp after today’s announcement from GS’s sons’ attorney! WTH is going on?!

And what judge would approve a measley $5000 payment for medical expenses for a brain-injured woman who died after being hospitalized for a month?

The medical expenses approved should have been in the range of at least $200,000.

Agree. I hope medical bills didn't consume that settlement, because those should have been paid independently.

Agree. I hope medical bills didn't consume that settlement, because those should have been paid independently.
At least voluntarily and benevolently by the Murdaugh fam, to whom they owed so much (GS). But that is too much to ask for these cold-hearts, it appears. You can see it in AM and PM’s eyes in their photos—they are flat and dark. MOO

ETA I found it and posted a settlement notice in another tweet between the bank representative and Alex.
I suppose the funds could be in a trust with the bank rep as the trustee especially if one of the sons had challenges. But why haven’t the sons seen any amount from it? That’s a good question for the trustee/bank rep and whoever set up this trust (usually lawyers, if there is in fact a trust) because trustees usually get paid to administer them. Too many “friends”scratching each other’s backs. The sons/estate was probably “counseled” by “their recommended lawyer” to accept the insurance pay out instead of suing AM.

The article, above, also notes that the Murdaugh family didn't offer to pay for Gloria Satterwhite's funeral.
That disgusts me.
BBM

Did they call an air ambulance for her?

And she "tripped on their dogs" and I'm giving that a big ole stink eye, too.
She worked for them for 25 years and tripped on their dogs? I highly doubt that. I think she was pretty familiar with the dogs and they with her---the chances that she 'tripped on them' are at about ZERO, imo.

I suppose the funds could be in a trust with the bank rep as the trustee especially if one of the sons had challenges. But why haven’t the sons seen any amount from it? That’s a good question for the trustee/bank rep and whoever set up this trust (usually lawyers, if there is in fact a trust) because trustees usually get paid to administer them. Too many “friends”scratching each other’s backs. The sons/estate was probably “counseled” by “their recommended lawyer” to accept the insurance pay out instead of suing AM.

I worked in a bank several years ago and we handled individual trust accounts. Whenever money was withdrawn an Attorney would come into the bank and have documents a Judge had approved for disbursing the funds and who they were going to. This is something the law firm would have been able to provide to the sons attorney easily and quickly, showing the account and where it's being held. Also there would be statements provided of the earnings and tax statements sent, the lack of response in a timely manner to the sons attorney is a big red flag. JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member