SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
August 11, 2021 was also the day the solicitor down that way, Duffy Stone, finally recused himself from the case. I’m thinking he learned something in that interview that changed his thinking.
Yes, I posted about that earlier this week. Here's my post:

Agent Croft testified that there was a third interview of AM on August 11, 2021. Regarding the August 11 interview and whether he followed up with AM about his purported statement of "I did him so bad" in the prior interview, Croft said "We didn't get that far." Did AM stop cooperating with LE during that third interview?

Interesting to note that the same day as that third interview Solicitor Duffie Stone (AM worked as a part-time volunteer solicitor in Stone's office) recused himself from prosecuting the Murduagh murders and asked the State AG to take over. Stone's August 11, 2021 recusal letter said this:

"Given the the events today in SLED's investigation of the homicides of Paul and Maggie Murdaugh, I am asking that you assume all prosecutorial functions in this matter effective immediately. By copy of this letter I am informing Chief Mark Keel of my decision to recuse myself in prosecuting these cases."

Yes I can see it being odd if he changed his clothes after the murders because who would be worried about their clothes if your wife and son were murdered.

I can’t believe he couldn’t see that using his mother as an alibi was a farce because she can’t attest to that so that’s far from being ‘iron clad’. He’s not all that bright for an attorney.
His Mom had a caregiver staying at night. Maybe he thought they'd give the ironclad (as his brother and lawyer called it) alibi?

One thing that sticks in my head is the fact that he visits his mother so late at night.
Same. Especially with his mom having dementia, because mine does, too, and buddy lemme tell you: sundowning is real. I’m sure his mom’s nurse loved an out-of-the-norm late night unexpected guest to get M all riled up when her husband was already dying and off to the hospital.

The cruelty doesn’t let up.

Yes I can see it being odd if he changed his clothes after the murders because who would be worried about their clothes if your wife and son were murdered.

I can’t believe he couldn’t see that using his mother as an alibi was a farce because she can’t attest to that so that’s far from being ‘iron clad’. He’s not all that bright for an attorney.
I could be wrong but I think the prosecution's theory is that desperation came into play (he was confronted by his firm's CFO that day) and he didn't have time to plan everything out. Here is an article about the trial of Russell Laffitte:

"Federal Prosecutors then called Jeanne Seckinger, Chief Financial Officer at Murdaugh’s former law firm... to the stand as a witness. ...

Seckinger revealed that flags were first raised in 2019 following the boating accident in which Mallory Beach died and Paul Murdaugh was charged. She said the law firm became worried Alex Murdaugh would begin hiding money and settlement earnings to protect his family from a pending civil suit in the case.

Later, Seckinger noticed missing attorney’s fees from a case Alex Murdaugh worked on with long-time [friend] and Bamberg County Attorney Chris Wilson to the tune of $729,000.

Seckinger says she confronted Murdaugh in his office on June 7th, 2021 — just hours before Margaret and Paul were murdered — about the money and asked for proof it was being held in trust by Wilson.

Minutes into the conversation, Seckinger says Murdaugh received a call telling him his dad, Randolph Murdaugh III, was returning home in hospice care, effectively ending the conversation."

It's also unclear why the name of Maggie's sister, Marian Proctor, was crossed out in pen in her will as the person Maggie chose to handle her estate, The Island Packet reports.

According to the paper, Maggie's sister's name was crossed out and replaced in handwriting with the name of Alex's father, renowned attorney Randolph Murdaugh III.

He died three days after Maggie and Paul were killed.

But his mother's caregiver would actually be his alibi not his mother. Will the caregiver testify truthfully?

This may be very unpopular to say, but I believe the defense team is doing a very good job of picking apart the narrative of the prosecution. This is not to say anything bad about the prosecutors - I think they are excellent and very professional. It is to just say, though, the defense attorneys have really studied this case. Now, for the record, I think AM is absolutely guilty of this horrible crime and deserves maximum punishment, but his attorneys are putting up some great points. First, the murder weapon(s) and ammunition; the prosecution brings a copy gun that killed MM and they speak of the type of gun. They talk about how the gun that killed MM produces casings and how these casings were found on the property. The casing from the murder weapon are found at the murder scene and at different places on the property. Then we learn that AM has had the type of the murder weapon crafted (presumably as a replacement for PM's lost gun), and it is used to kill his wife and son. AM then fakes his grief for extra sympathy and proceeds to boo-hoo all the way through questioning (totally over this acting, btw). Case wrapped up, right? Well, then defense gets up and, by using the state's own witnesses, basically proves the "shells match" theory isn't too credible because of the way those guns are built and how the ammunition is fired. Hmmmm.

Then we have the whole "I" versus "they" did him so bad controversy. I really think isn't nearly as big of a deal as Vinnie Politan wants us to think. It sn't as if AM said "oh yeah, and, did I mention I slaughtered my wife and son. No, wait, I take that back". Another decent job by the defense by tossing in a good bit of confusion and dout by playing that "questioning" tape over a few times. By saturating those few words over and over, you almost don't even know what you are actually listening to. Well done, defense. Well done.

Now, today we have THE TAPE. This tape proves AM was at the kennels where Maggie and Paul were murdered at the time the state thinks the crime took place. As AM has previously denied being at the murder scene at the specific time, this proves AM lied about his whereabouts. Whoo Hoo... Guilty, guilty, guilty. I was certain that the defense would try the denial tactic saying that it was someone else, but it seems that isn't what's going to happen. What they did do was pretty interesting... By getting the tech expert to admit that there was no phone GPS proof of MM, PM, and AM being all together during the time in question. Even when the prosecution theorized Alex called Maggie's phone and held them apart to establish an alibi, there was stil no GPS data from the phones.
I gotta say, this defensive team has worked hard at poking little holes in the prosecution's theory of the crime. Before this trial began, I kept thinking how would anyone defend AM - I mean the guy is a greedy, narcissistic jerk who killed his wife and son so he could go on stealing and covering up his many financial crimes. But you can really see how the defense is looking for that one juror who believes reasonable dout. If they somehow are successful at getting a mistrial with a juror holdout, I wonder if they would sign on for a re-trial knowing AM is completely broke?

Just one more thing, the question of AM loving his wife and son. I think he did love his wife and son. Absolutely. He absolutely did love them. Right up to the second he murdered them. I am reminded of a quote from In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. The quote is attributed to Perry Smith, the man who killed the Clutter family for about $45 - "I thought Mr Clutter was a very nice man, right up until I cut his throat."

Chilling.

Last edited:
August 11, 2021 was also the day the solicitor down that way, Duffy Stone, finally recused himself from the case. I’m thinking he learned something in that interview that changed his thinking.
From listening to testimony of Croft from SLED, I think that is when they might have finally implied he was a suspect. The next meeting they had with Maggie's family, Alex brought his lawyer J. Griffin.

MOO

It's also unclear why the name of Maggie's sister, Marian Proctor, was crossed out in pen in her will as the person Maggie chose to handle her estate, The Island Packet reports.

According to the paper, Maggie's sister's name was crossed out and replaced in handwriting with the name of Alex's father, renowned attorney Randolph Murdaugh III.

He died three days after Maggie and Paul were killed.

I always thought that it was a coincidence Alex's Dad died 3 days later, especially after noting that the will was changed. I know that may sound outlandish or harsh, but Alex was capable of anything to cover his tracks IMO. He inherited money from his father's estate as well.

After the father died JMM became the executor of Maggie's will IIRC. But really, how does crossing out a name and writing another one in make it a legal document without being witnessed or notarized?

MOO

Alex comes across as pure evil to me. His fake crying and rocking is not fooling anyone, I think it makes him appear even more phony and cold. It comes on cue anytime there is talk of the physical murders.

If I had brutally murdered my youngest son and loving wife, I'd have a hard time hearing/seeing the carnage I'd created too.

I just think Alex was capable of anything to plug all the holes in his illegal activities and financial 'boat'.

MOO

I'm wondering if Alex didn't bring his phone to the kennels. If the murders occurred sometime in the 8:49-8:54 time frame, maybe he was back up at the house with Maggie's phone by 9:04pm. Alex not having his phone at the kennels could explain the lack of contemporaneous steps recorded by Alex's and Maggie's phones. Am I missing some evidence that shows he had his phone with him between 8:10pm and 9:02pm? Speculation/JMO.

I am caught up on the trial now. There are a lot of unanswered questions, to be sure. But I don’t even think it matters because that Snapchat video convicts Murdaugh. That, together with the evidence of Paul’s rifle being used to kill Maggie - there’s no way around that, irrespective of whatever questions remain about phone orientation or camera activation.

This may be very unpopular to say, but I believe the defense team is doing a very good job of picking apart the narrative of the prosecution. This is not to say anything bad about the prosecutors - I think they are excellent and very professional. It is to just say, though, the defense attorneys have really studied this case. Now, for the record, I think AM is absolutely guilty of this horrible crime and deserves maximum punishment, but his attorneys are putting up some great points. First, the murder weapon(s) and ammunition; the prosecution brings a copy gun that killed MM and they speak of the type of gun. They talk about how the gun that killed MM produces casings and how these casings were found on the property. The casing from the murder weapon are found at the murder scene and at different places on the property. Then we learn that AM has had the type of the murder weapon crafted (presumably as a replacement for PM's lost gun), and it is used to kill his wife and son. AM then fakes his grief for extra sympathy and proceeds to boo-hoo all the way through questioning (totally over this acting, btw). Case wrapped up, right? Well, then defense gets up and, by using the state's own witnesses, basically proves the "shells match" theory isn't too credible because of the way those guns are built and how the ammunition is fired. Hmmmm.

Then we have the whole "I" versus "they" did him so bad controversy. I really think isn't nearly as big of a deal as Vinnie Politan wants us to think. It sn't as if AM said "oh yeah, and, did I mention I slaughtered my wife and son. No, wait, I take that back". Another decent job by the defense by tossing in a good bit of confusion and dout by playing that "questioning" tape over a few times. By saturating those few words over and over, you almost don't even know what you are actually listening to. Well done, defense. Well done.

Now, today we have THE TAPE. This tape proves AM was at the kennels where Maggie and Paul were murdered at the time the state thinks the crime took place. As AM has previously denied being at the murder scene at the specific time, this proves AM lied about his whereabouts. Whoo Hoo... Guilty, guilty, guilty. I was certain that the defense would try the denial tactic saying that it was someone else, but it seems that isn't what's going to happen. What they did do was pretty interesting... By getting the tech expert to admit that there was no phone GPS proof of MM, PM, and AM being all together during the time in question. Even when the prosecution theorized Alex called Maggie's phone and held them apart to establish an alibi, there was stil no GPS data from the phones.
I gotta say, this defensive team has worked hard at poking little holes in the prosecution's theory of the crime. Before this trial began, I kept thinking how would anyone defend AM - I mean the guy is a greedy, narcissistic jerk who killed his wife and son so he could go on stealing and covering up his many financial crimes. But you can really see how the defense is looking for that one juror who believes reasonable dout. If they somehow are successful at getting a mistrial with a juror holdout, I wonder if they would sign on for a re-trial knowing AM is completely broke?

Just one more thing, the question of AM loving his wife and son. I think he did love his wife and son. Absolutely. He absolutely did love them. Right up to the second he murdered them. I am reminded of a quote from In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. The quote is attributed to Perry Smith, the man who killed the Clutter family for about $45 - "I thought Mr Clutter was a very nice man, right up until I cut his throat."

Chilling.
I agree with you - the defense is doing a great job, and there are some challenges for the prosecution. But in the end I think that Snapchat video sinks him. And I am more pro-defense than most people here.

I'm wondering if Alex didn't bring his phone to the kennels. If the murders occurred sometime in the 8:49-8:54 time frame, maybe he was back up at the house with Maggie's phone by 9:04pm. Alex not having his phone at the kennels could explain the lack of contemporaneous steps recorded by Alex's and Maggie's phones. Am I missing some evidence that shows he had his phone with him between 8:10pm and 9:02pm? Speculation/JMO.
The prosecution theory is that Alex didn’t have his phone with him at the kennels - and that was intentional so as to support his alibi that he was napping.

Thinking AM left his phone at the house to keep any kind of distance/ steps away from the kennel area. Am showed up to the kennels, wolf in sheep's clothing.

The prosecution theory is that Alex didn’t have his phone with him at the kennels - and that was intentional so as to support his alibi that he was napping.
Ok, I haven't heard the prosecution say this yet about his phone -- I guess I missed it. I know about the napping alibi. I was thinking about the defense's point of why aren't there contemporaneous steps with AM's and MM's phone -- i.e., if AM is carrying MM's phone, there should be contemporaneous steps. The answer would be that AM did not have his phone then and only had his phone in hand again at approx 9:02pm. JMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member