SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just getting up to the end of this thread and can't believe you aren't discussing what Waters brought up after the jury left the room this afternoon. I stepped away for one minute and came back to realize the day hadn't ended. Waters and defense were talking to Judge Newman about a conversation Alec had with his counsel and third parties a few days after the murders and Waters wants to know what it was about.

This is all I can find. Anyone watch trial long enough today to know more?
------------

5:28 p.m. – Court is in recess. The jury will return at 11:30 a.m. Monday. Waters indicates that defense attorney Jim Griffin and Murdaugh, along with others, met days after the murders and Murduagh made “some statements.” Waters wants to find out what was said and says he believes the statements would not be attorney-client privileged because third parties were present.

Griffin explains it was June 10 when SLED came to a family property to interview family members. Griffin says he was there to represent Murdaugh.

https://www.counton2.com/the-murdaugh-investigation/witnesses-to-speak-on-alleged-financial-crimes-in-murdaugh-trial-day-10/
Yes, I saw that. Seems like Waters wants the court to hear evidence about who was present and then issue a ruling that there is no attorney client privilege so that he can get AM's former law partners, who were allegedly present for the discussion, to tell him what was said. Then Waters can decide whether to call them as witnesses before the jury. (Based on what was said in court it seems like AM, some of his family, some of his law partners, and Jim Griffin may have been present for the discussion). JMO.

Just getting up to the end of this thread and can't believe you aren't discussing what Waters brought up after the jury left the room this afternoon. I stepped away for one minute and came back to realize the day hadn't ended. Waters and defense were talking to Judge Newman about a conversation Alec had with his counsel and third parties a few days after the murders and Waters wants to know what it was about.

This is all I can find. Anyone watch trial long enough today to know more?
------------

5:28 p.m. – Court is in recess. The jury will return at 11:30 a.m. Monday. Waters indicates that defense attorney Jim Griffin and Murdaugh, along with others, met days after the murders and Murduagh made “some statements.” Waters wants to find out what was said and says he believes the statements would not be attorney-client privileged because third parties were present.

Griffin explains it was June 10 when SLED came to a family property to interview family members. Griffin says he was there to represent Murdaugh.

https://www.counton2.com/the-murdaugh-investigation/witnesses-to-speak-on-alleged-financial-crimes-in-murdaugh-trial-day-10/
The prosecution wants access to conversations Alex had with his law partners in the days following the murders. The prosecution wants the other lawyers in the room to testify to what Alex said about the murders while addressing allegations of corporate theft.

Alex is claiming attorney client privilege. Prosecution is arguing that there were too many people in the room for that.

Yes, I saw that. Seems like Waters wants the court to hear evidence about who was present and then issue a ruling that there is no attorney client privilege so that he can get AM's former law partners, who were allegedly present for the discussion, to tell him what was said. Then Waters can decide whether to call them as witnesses before the jury. (Based on what was said in court it seems like AM, some of his family, some of his law partners, and Jim Griffin may have been present for the discussion). JMO.
Gosh I hope Waters gains access to the partners.

I think all those law partners and family around the house poisoned the investigation. The fact that SLED didn't execute the search warrant so they wouldn't displace everyone in the house while they searched ... the SLED agent was followed around the house by JMM and AM's personal lawyer ... they put sheets over the victims early so as not to upset family who were arriving ... house wasn't ever a crime scene ...

It angers me no end that JG and DH cross examine LE and forensic witnesses with such indignation in their voices, about things LE didn't do around evidence and other matters defense thinks were lacking in the investigation. MOO.

The irony is if things were missed some part of it was probably that they were dealing with *The Murdaughs* -- a family both revered and feared. Maybe if these murders had occurred on the farm of some other Lowcountry citizen everything would have been investigated in detail and totally by the book. Defense keeps reminding everyone that Alex was completely cooperative but that was his ruse! He was counting on his distinction as A Murdaugh and all his legal community connections along with being super deferential to LE to keep him off the suspect list. OMHO.

PS: Don't get me wrong, despite all the stuff that wasn't done, SLED, local LE, and the AG's office has done a fantastic job in building this case -- the amount of evidence is incredible. My hat's off to them (so far). JMO.

Last edited:
Because the conversations relate to the murders (possibly motive?), the prosecution wants third parties at the meeting to testify about what Alex said.

What did Alex say three days after the murders? He's in financial trouble with his law office and his wife and son just turned up dead. Did he say: don't worry, life insurance covers the $792,000 corporate fraud debt? Between his dead father, wife and son, he was in the money?

Good article from Jan 23rd issue of the New Yorker on the financial
crimes of Alex Murdaugh and associates. Especially how civil lawsuits against
corporations operated as such a large money-making scheme.

Also has a good analysis of the culture and economy of that particular area two-county area in SC's Lowcountry.

Written a few weeks before trial started. MOO.
(apologies if this has been posted already)

The Corrupt World Behind the Murdaugh Murders

Screenshot 2023-02-04 014826nnnnnn.jpg

Good article from Jan 23rd issue of the New Yorker on the financial
crimes of Alex Murdaugh and associates. Especially how civil lawsuits against
corporations operated as such a large money-making scheme.

Also has a good analysis of the culture and economy of that particular area two-county area in SC's Lowcountry.

Written a few weeks before trial started. MOO.
(apologies if this has been posted already)

The Corrupt World Behind the Murdaugh Murders

View attachment 400041
Thanks for sharing this!
Excellent article. I was aware of most of the details, but had been mystified by the fact that AM and his firm had such a thriving business at personal injury claims. I wondered how so many calamities could occur in such a small County. If I recall correctly one of his partners specialized in suing tire manufacturers for faulty treads that caused auto accidents.

The article explains how suing people and corporations became an industry. It’s horrible that AM and his cronies took advantage of victims with their greed. JMO

From the article:

Personal-injury lawyers also flourished, with one firm in particular profiting from the trend: pmped. It had perfected a litigation strategy that took advantage of an unusual state provision allowing residents who had suffered an injury to sue in whatever county they chose, as long as the company had a presence there. The injury could have occurred anywhere in South Carolina. The provision was rescinded in 2005, but by then Hampton County had become a mecca for plaintiffs, with obliging juries frequently awarding multimillion-dollar verdicts in suits brought by pmped. (A 2002 article in Forbescited a medical-malpractice case that ended with a fourteen-million-dollar payout—thirteen times the national average for similar cases.) Big corporations began avoiding the area. Walmart developed plans to open a store in Hampton, but after discussions with a lawyer the idea was abandoned, according to Forbes. Companies that couldn’t leave—such as CSX Transportation, whose railway tracks run through Hampton—often found it more convenient to settle when pmped filed a suit against them. Better that than face a Murdaugh-friendly jury.

As this racket was explained to me, I was reminded of the Hitchcock adaptation of du Maurier’s “Jamaica Inn,” in which a rapacious squire and his gang plunder any vessel unwise enough to enter their remote Cornish cove. Seclusion certainly seems to have been a key element in the Murdaugh story. Bill Nettles, the U.S. Attorney in South Carolina under President Barack Obama, told me, “It’s important to understand how isolated that part of the world is. It’s insanely poor. And there’s no industry, aside from suing people.”

I’ve been reading about this case since day one. It’s not often we see a case that feels like a novel. So interesting. I’m getting turned around though regarding the motive. What do you guys think is the motive for AM to kill MM & PM?

Today, they are doing fine financially. They received a $4.8M settlement last June and have started a foundation in their mom's name: Gloria's Gifts.

I wasn't aware that SLED exhumed Gloria's body five years later in 2022! I think this is just wrong and wish her sons would have protested. I also hope they are being protected from money-grabbing lawyers trying to exploit them for their own interest.

I think Gloria had a trip & fall accident. It does happen. Her son testified he's never believed there was anything intentional about her death-- three weeks after the accident. I also recall reading that she'd suffered a stroke weeks into her recovery.

I've said this before and will continue to say that AM is an opportunist and here, he did exactly what you'd expect from him -- took advantage of Gloria's misfortune which he's long ago admitted.

I wasn't aware that SLED exhumed Gloria's body five years later in 2022! I think this is just wrong and wish her sons would have protested. I also hope they are being protected from money-grabbing lawyers trying to exploit them for their own interest.

I think Gloria had a trip & fall accident. It does happen. Her son testified he's never believed there was anything intentional about her death-- three weeks after the accident. I also recall reading that she'd suffered a stroke weeks into her recovery.

I've said this before and will continue to say that AM is an opportunist and here, he did exactly what you'd expect from him -- took advantage of Gloria's misfortune which he's long ago admitted.

Today the lawyer for Gloria’s sons said that the exhumation hasn’t happened yet!

Because the conversations relate to the murders (possibly motive?), the prosecution wants third parties at the meeting to testify about what Alex said.

What did Alex say three days after the murders? He's in financial trouble with his law office and his wife and son just turned up dead. Did he say: don't worry, life insurance covers the $792,000 corporate fraud debt? Between his dead father, wife and son, he was in the money?
Did MM & PM have life insurance? I was under the impression they didn’t.

Thanks for sharing this!
Excellent article. I was aware of most of the details, but had been mystified by the fact that AM and his firm had such a thriving business at personal injury claims. I wondered how so many calamities could occur in such a small County. If I recall correctly one of his partners specialized in suing tire manufacturers for faulty treads that caused auto accidents.

The article explains how suing people and corporations became an industry. It’s horrible that AM and his cronies took advantage of victims with their greed. JMO

From the article:

Personal-injury lawyers also flourished, with one firm in particular profiting from the trend: pmped. It had perfected a litigation strategy that took advantage of an unusual state provision allowing residents who had suffered an injury to sue in whatever county they chose, as long as the company had a presence there. The injury could have occurred anywhere in South Carolina. The provision was rescinded in 2005, but by then Hampton County had become a mecca for plaintiffs, with obliging juries frequently awarding multimillion-dollar verdicts in suits brought by pmped. (A 2002 article in Forbescited a medical-malpractice case that ended with a fourteen-million-dollar payout—thirteen times the national average for similar cases.) Big corporations began avoiding the area. Walmart developed plans to open a store in Hampton, but after discussions with a lawyer the idea was abandoned, according to Forbes. Companies that couldn’t leave—such as CSX Transportation, whose railway tracks run through Hampton—often found it more convenient to settle when pmped filed a suit against them. Better that than face a Murdaugh-friendly jury.

As this racket was explained to me, I was reminded of the Hitchcock adaptation of du Maurier’s “Jamaica Inn,” in which a rapacious squire and his gang plunder any vessel unwise enough to enter their remote Cornish cove. Seclusion certainly seems to have been a key element in the Murdaugh story. Bill Nettles, the U.S. Attorney in South Carolina under President Barack Obama, told me, “It’s important to understand how isolated that part of the world is. It’s insanely poor. And there’s no industry, aside from suing people.”

I thought the article was very good.

Gives context and detail on how one group of lawyers, bankers, judges, and corrupt politicians can turn this type of civil litigation into such a huge money-making process or scheme for themselves in this tiny corner of SC.

Also was enlightening as to how economically decrepit (this would be the authors opinion) this area has become over the decades. Once decent farm land has been destroyed by over-farming, pesticides, and fertilizing.

Local mfg industry has left. This leaves an economy built on logging for paper pulp (a hideous industry), recycling and waste management, and small retail (Dollar General, etc.) and other low wage jobs.

So you have a basic caste system of the good-old-boys network which has been in place forever and the lower-class just trying to get by. With a very small middle class in between. MOO.

One more thing and then back to bed. If the state isn’t allowed by the judge to present the financial crimes to the jury then how are they going to prove motive? This seems like a risky move for the prosecution. Thoughts?

I may have missed it with the trial moving so fast but did it come out about Maggie visiting a divorce lawyer?
I haven't heard it come out yet myself. Was it to be a tactic where all monies, properties, etc are given to wife in divorce to keep out circulation and kept safe. Lots of couples facing ligation seem to do this to protect assets.

I think that night, when AM said the motive for the shooting was the deadly boat crash, he was subconsciously uttering the truth. IMO the motive was to prevent paying anything to the boat crash victims by whatever means necessary. His focus had been and was that night protecting the Murdaugh assets. IMO up until the time he was confronted by his CFO, he was still under the impression he still had time and the means to finagle accounts to protect those assets. The confrontation placed him on notice that there was going to be more misdeeds and misappropriation to deal with. IMO, he had a plan all along in the event things went too far. IMO it was never about sympathy or wanting to repay anyone for anything; it was all about keeping what he had.
jmo
I think he felt he was protecting Paul from a prison sentence on three murders also. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1