SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right, and I think it's also significant that Alex asked Blanca to go there the next morning specifically to "straighten up." It seems to me he wanted her to be a witness to these things that he left out.

Ultimately, this witness didn't work out for him the way he planned.
Nope. Did not work as planned.

And in what I see as classic DH-crafted retaliation, AM's defense responded to Blanca's sworn testimony by asking her to confirm that AM always referred to her as his "friend," and not the housekeeper [i.e., the unworthy servant you were].

Really, DH? ... Seems to me there is nothing sacred or special about family or being labeled a "friend" by AM given he murdered his wife and son, and ripped off and sh_t up his friends!

Thanks, but no thanks. MOO

Then, for decades, where was the local press when all of this corruption was happening right in front of them? We can see the fear in so many of these wotnesses. If you lived and worked in these communities, and CARED about them…there were plenty of investigative avenues.

Corruption on such a wide and pervasive level requires a certain amount of consent and a lot of silence. It shouldn’t take two murders and the whole world looking in…to expose a cesspool like this.

Did/does the law firm advertise heavy on local media?

Then, for decades, where was the local press when all of this corruption was happening right in front of them? We can see the fear in so many of these wotnesses. If you lived and worked in these communities, and CARED about them…there were plenty of investigative avenues.

Corruption on such a wide and pervasive level requires a certain amount of consent and a lot of silence. It shouldn’t take two murders and the whole world looking in…to expose a cesspool like this.
BBM It shouldn't but it did. I posted in an earlier thread that I was surprised there was an attorney in SC that would even sue the M's, MT did. Their power ran deep, hopefully doesn't run anymore, vertically and laterally not only in the legal system but in other venues too, like the bank. I find Mandy Matney annoying at times but you have to give her and FITS News credit for staying on this story.
JMO

In investigative cases, reporters rely on one or more persons coming forward. Someone must be willing to tip the media off. Or at least be a "deep throat." I don't know enough about this community and case to know if that ever happened. If someone did come to the media, then shame on them if they didn't investigate. If no one came forward, then that says more about the community than the media.

I haven't seen anything about local media covering up these crimes after hearing from credible sources and verifying that information. I may have missed that.

Blanca described the shoes in that video as his brown house loafers. She never saw them after the murders. She also said he had a pair of cloth deck shoes (Sperry’s) like what Shelly Smith described AM was wearing the night of the murders when he went to his moms house. Blanca said she never saw those shoes again also.

ETA: the shoes they took from AM after they interviewed him were white athletic type shoes with markings.
Thank you!

I always wondered if Eddie was supposed to be killed. I wondered if he set it up to kill him and claim he came after Alex after killing Paul and Maggie.
Eddie's attorney agrees. She's quoted as having no doubt AM intended to lure Eddie to the roadside to kill him.

While LE was either negligent or corrupt in not securing the entire Moselle property, there's just as much of question of why Alex did not himself insist that they search his house. I mean if he didn't do it and he really wanted to find the killers, he would have had no idea how the murders came about and if there were any useful evidence inside the house. He should have been begging LE to go look there.

Re the "missing" 7:56pm blue button-down shirt and what Alex wore to work that day (sea foam polo or not): I hope/think this will be gone into more when we hopefully hear what, if anything, Alex said in his final August 11th LE interview. I don't remember any questions being asked about his clothing in the first two LE interviews. JMO.

While LE was either negligent or corrupt in not securing the entire Moselle property, there's just as much of question of why Alex did not himself insist that they search his house. I mean if he didn't do it and he really wanted to find the killers, he would have had no idea how the murders came about and if there were any useful evidence inside the house. He should have been begging LE to go look there.

Especially since he was a prosecutor, as the state has pointed out several times

Re the "missing" 7:56pm blue button-down shirt and what Alex wore to work that day (sea foam polo or not): I hope/think this will be gone into more when we hopefully hear what, if anything, Alex said in his final August 11th LE interview. I don't remember any questions being asked about his clothing in the first two LE interviews. JMO.

Right, they did not have the Snapchat video till the third interview. They definitely did ask him about the shirt then because that's the same day he went to Blanca to tell her what shirt she saw him wearing. That's also when Alex totally lawyered up and was answering no more questions.

I'm maybe missing what you're referring to as 'wide and pervasive' corruption?

It seems to me to have been more 'narrow and deep', ie AM with some help from his banker friend Russell Laffitte. I'm not aware of any other public officials who were corrupt? Trustful, perhaps, but aren't we all, until we realize we've been cheated?

It seems, as soon as people realized AM had been stealing, they were shocked and immediately called in police. No one took any bribes.

JMO

I must have missed this part of JS ( CFO ) testimony:

[…]

It proved a potent combination, seeming scatterbrained to everyone around him while instilling a sense of confidence that made people trust his abilities.

In 2017, for instance, his former law firm — Peters, Murdaugh, Parker, Eltzroth & Detrick — gave him a check for more than $121,000 that was meant for his brother, who was also a partner. Rather than report the mistake, Murdaugh went to the accounting office and asked for a replacement, saying he’d misplaced the original, Jeanne Seckinger, the firm’s chief financial officer, testified.

He deposited the replacement check right away and kept the original to deposit a year later, getting more than $240,000 when he should have gotten nothing. Murdaugh wasn’t punished when he was caught, Seckinger said. He claimed he didn’t realize the money wasn’t his, and the firm moved on once he paid it back.

It was that same confidence in Murdaugh that convinced his firm to write millions of dollars in checks to a company that didn’t exist.

[…]

Alex Murdaugh murder trial highlights universal trust that kept alleged schemes hidden
And my question is.....did Randy ask where his check for $121K was?

IMO These guys know how much money they're supposed to be getting and it seems a little strange that he either didn't say anything or if he did say something and another check was issued to him, why the "mistake" wasn't picked up by accounting. Did this law firm audit itself?

In investigative cases, reporters rely on one or more persons coming forward. Someone must be willing to tip the media off. Or at least be a "deep throat." I don't know enough about this community and case to know if that ever happened. If someone did come to the media, then shame on them if they didn't investigate. If no one came forward, then that says more about the community than the media.

I haven't seen anything about local media covering up these crimes after hearing from credible sources and verifying that information. I may have missed that.

I am not saying “covering up.” It’s more like…staying out until it was to their benefit to jump in. When the M’s were so powerful, the local media showed little interest over the decades to poke at that power. Nothing but risk in it…for themselves.

How long was SS Mother flailing about…looking for justice for her son ? Were there never any rumors about clients never receiving their settlements where local medua could have strung an investigation together? Why was this family entitled to legal privileges from the hospital to crime scenes than others were denied?

The stench was pervasive. The local media just held their nose.

Suddenly two murders bring the eyes of the world on them. Now it seemed safe to POP out of hiding and puff up their resumes by finally poking into the local corruption. Good for careers, a great money-move. Sorry, not impressed.

Instead I feel the generational frustration of thise victimized for decades. We will never know how many or all the stories! They were simply too unimportant for the local media to risk getting involved.

At 34:45 in this podcast a reporter said that a SLED forensic accountant will testify about where Alex's money was going and that this seems to relate to Eddie Smith testifying. A bit earlier a reporter said that Eddie Smith is expected to testify on Monday.

And my question is.....did Randy ask where his check for $121K was?

IMO These guys know how much money they're supposed to be getting and it seems a little strange that he either didn't say anything or if he did say something and another check was issued to him, why the "mistake" wasn't picked up by accounting. Did this law firm audit itself?
yes I agree. How the check did he not miss these funds due him?
JMO

Last edited:
Randy is actually the brother who isn’t a lawyer, so it would be John Marvin who was a partner there at PMPED.

But, yes I agree. How the check did he not miss these funds due him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay