SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Knew about some of these, but it's a very intricate case and trial, and some of these clues are very mysterious and really need further explaining to be relevant. I did not know about any brown hair.

• The Gucci Receipt
  • The Wedding Ring
  • Envelopes of Cash
  • The Brown Hair
I just thought of a reason for the Goosey receipt. What if AM was confronting MM with her spending for a lux item...circled in red no less. It was found in the shed garbage, a very odd place for a credit card statement.

From you linked article...

"Croft said that the credit card receipt, which showed a $1,021.10 charge at Gucci that was circled, was found in a trash can at the shed near the crime scene along with two empty ammunition boxes."

I just thought of a reason for the Goosey receipt. What if AM was confronting MM with her spending for a lux item...circled in red no less. It was found in the shed garbage, a very odd place for a credit card statement.

From you linked article...

"Croft said that the credit card receipt, which showed a $1,021.10 charge at Gucci that was circled, was found in a trash can at the shed near the crime scene along with two empty ammunition boxes."

Your's is the obvious answer, and probably right. The spending seems so out of control though- 10K guns as a gift when there are already plenty of guns around, a 5K "loan to the parents of a local police officer", (made shortly after the murders)-I think there is a possibility that any attempt at economy had been abandoned long beforehand. I read that the local lux retailers said that Maggie would have been identified as the buyer of the Gucci item, no matter where the purchase had been made. (Which she hasn't apparently been) I wonder whether the purchase was made by someone else? (AM)

I've read speculation that Buster might testify tonight. I can't really think what he may add-we've heard what a happy family it appeared to be many times, and also how surprised the people around AM are about his admitted criminal behaviour. We understand that AM has a light side, one that was so convincing he was able to get away with some really terrible things, for a very long time. His brothers didn't know, Maggie's sister didn't know, his charismatic light side hid his black heart for a long time. We all understand that Buster has complicated motivations too. (What would you do?) So, I don't think it can really add much for the defence. It will be terrible for Buster, who has already lost so much. I think it's a huge risk too-that Buster won't be convincing. If the jury come to believe that Buster thinks his dad did it, it will be all over, surely?

Yes, absolute gold!!

In the CNN Low Country special today, their last jailhouse call with Buster was also classic AM: Dad asks Buster if he wants to hunt deer at Moselle over the weekend. Silence, shock, before Buster musters up no! And without skipping a beat, AM, unphased, continues with 'doves are ready at Moselle too'... and after not hearing the enthusiasm AM was expecting -- tells Buster if he's not interested, he will offer the opportunity to Jim (Griffin) but wanted to get Buster's approval.

AM comes off so tone-deaf and really put out that Buster had no interest in returning to Moselle to carry a gun around to shoot deer and doves. o_O MOO
I got the feeling Buster was afraid he'd be the next victim if he went out there hunting with crazy daddy.

This is MOO. I've seen many on here try to explain these mysterious "clues", but it's like I said, the clues need to be fully drawn out and explained to become relevant in the trial. The brown hair sure makes me hesitate. What's that about? Leaving jurors to try to explain it themselves is not enough. All I'm saying is I want to see a conviction.

• The Gucci Receipt
  • The Wedding Ring
  • Envelopes of Cash
  • The Brown Hair

This is MOO. I've seen many on here try to explain these mysterious "clues", but it's like I said, the clues need to be fully drawn out and explained to become relevant in the trial. The brown hair sure makes me hesitate. What's that about? Leaving jurors to try to explain it themselves is not enough. All I'm saying is I want to see a conviction.

• The Gucci Receipt
  • The Wedding Ring
  • Envelopes of Cash
  • The Brown Hair
I'm dipping in and out of this case, so don't know half the information.

Could someone explain for my benefit about the brown hair, because it's not something I've seen in any of the (few) trial videos I've watched and now I'm curious.

ETA - SORRY! I've just seen that was a link you provided. I thought it was a heading you'd typed. Off to read about it!

I started watching the HBO/CNN documentary last night. Have one down, two to go. I thought I’d already watched it on HBO but hadn’t. (Side note - Netflix airs tomorrow). It’s incredible watching how the Murdaugh family essentially bullied their community for generations. It’s not new news, and I’ve been an avid follower of this story for 2 yrs, but just seeing it in front of me again it just amazes me.

Except for the fact two people are dead, I bet a lot of the community is really enjoying watching AM on trial. Thinking finally he is taken down from his throne.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again…everyone in that family seems so unlikeable and entitled.

Well, if Buster takes the stand for the Defense, it's going to be quite strange. I really don't know what he could testify to except what a wonder father, husband, person, etc. Alex is. Wonder if the State will bring up the jailhouse telephone calls, specifically about AM paying to get BM back into Law School? Typical example of Alex still scheming even behind bars.

The State will need to be careful in cross examination, a lot of people have sympathy for Buster and they don't want to look like they are badgering him.

The 'accident' expert, I think it's going to be the video recreation of the murders. It can't be a murder/suicide because there was no gun left at the scene, so I guess the Defense will be going with a revenge, 2 shooter (not Alex) defense.

MOO

Last edited:
Agree, going to attack the time of death and data timeline hard, pretty much their only play.
There's not much to attack even by Alex's own admission. He left Moselle at 9:05 approx and returned at 10:00 to find their bodies laying out at the kennels.

Funny how he managed to 'nap' through 2 shotgun and 5 AR blasts and didn't notice their bodies on the drive out, even though he had been texting trying to get ahold of Maggie. Why not stop by the kennels and to see her?

Grrrrr, it's already making my blood boil and it hasn't even started yet, hah.

MOO

Dang! RM filed lawsuit against his brother AM October 2021.

As Alex Murdaugh's many alleged victims argue for courts to freeze his assets so they get a fair reward in any future civil judgments against him, the disgraced attorney now has two other noteworthy plaintiffs coming after money. And Alex knows them well.

One is Alex's own brother, Randolph "Randy" Murdaugh IV. The other is John E. Parker, powerhouse attorney and president of Alex's former law firm, Peters Murdaugh Parker Eltzroth & Detrick (PMPED) in Hampton.
Randy Murdaugh and John E. Parker filed debt collection lawsuits against Alex on Thursday and Friday of this week in Hampton County court.

Alex owes his brother and former partner a combined $523,500 in unpaid personal debts, according to the complaints filed this week.

Randy Murdaugh in his suit gives a detailed breakdown of the $46,500 he claims his brother owes him. Parker, meanwhile, is decidedly vague in his accounting of $477,000 he alleges he loaned Alex.

Parker says he he gave Alex Murdaugh three loans between March and July of 2021 — $150,000 in March, $77,000 in May, and $250,000 in July. He gives no further details besides the fact that money hasn't been paid back, however.

Each of these substantial loans came in the months immediately before and after Alex's wife, Maggie (52), and son, Paul (22), were murdered outside the family's home in the secluded Moselle community in Colleton County, June 7, 2021.

Randy, meanwhile, says he first gave Alex a loan ($75,000) to cover an overdrawn bank account on Sept. 2, 2021. That's the day before PMPED forced Alex to resign for stealing money from the firm and its clients.

Randy's next loan to Alex came four days later, when Randy says he drove Alex to check into a drug rehabilitation facility out of state. Randy says Alex asked him to loan him the $15,000 it would cost to enroll in the rehab clinic, and Randy says he agreed.

[…]

As for the money Randy says Alex owes him, he claims to have deducted $43,500 from an original $90,000 in exchange for a tractor and a brush clearing implement he got from Alex.

[…]

Well I guess Randy got some of his money back before AM's buddy Chris Wilson did.
Of course, based on the timing, Randy was a lender of last resort and likely knew it was high risk, so he might have done a deal to get some of his money back rather than it all being in a pot with other unsecured creditors.

There's not much to attack even by Alex's own admission. He left Moselle at 9:05 approx and returned at 10:00 to find their bodies laying out at the kennels.

Funny how he managed to 'nap' through 2 shotgun and 5 AR blasts and didn't notice their bodies on the drive out, even though he had been texting trying to get ahold of Maggie. Why not stop by the kennels and to see her?

Grrrrr, it's already making my blood boil and it hasn't even started yet, hah.

MOO
One doesn't nap through what sounds like a small fire fight taking place in basically in your backyard, not napping if your the one doing the shooting. We will have to just grit our teeth today as the defense starts to throw their theories at us, grab your seat, the train will be departing soon.

Last edited:
I've always thought JMM was AM's gopher boy. He's everywhere when something happens lending a 'helping hand'.
He is the one who arranged to have the boat towed after the crash IIRC. It wouldn't surprise me if he did a lot of cleanup work for Big Bro. Randy and Alex were big time lawyers at Daddy's firm, JMM just an equipment salesman.

I think RM knows that Alex is going waaaaaaay down, and has tried to cut his loses as much as possible without pissin g off Alex too much for him to spill any info. he might have on him.

The whole darn family is corrupt and have been since the Great, Great Granddaddy was elected Solicitor 100 years ago. It's time this house of cards comes blowing down to the ground for good.

MOO

I've always thought JMM was AM's gopher boy. He's everywhere when something happens lending a 'helping hand'.
He is the one who arranged to have the boat towed after the crash IIRC. It wouldn't surprise me if he did a lot of cleanup work for Big Bro. Randy and Alex were big time lawyers at Daddy's firm, JMM just an equipment salesman.

I think RM knows that Alex is going waaaaaaay down, and has tried to cut his loses as much as possible without pissin g off Alex too much for him to spill any info. he might have on him.

The whole darn family is corrupt and have been since the Great, Great Granddaddy was elected Solicitor 100 years ago. It's time this house of cards comes blowing down to the ground for good.

MOO
AM has become the means to an end and sometimes it takes generations for this to play out.

One doesn't nap through what sounds like a small fire fight taking place in basically in your backyard, not napping if your the one doing the shooting. We will have to just grit our teeth today as the defense starts to throw their theories at us, grab your seat the train will be departing soon.
And keep the bar fully stocked please. :)

Looking at the long timeline:

I wish we were given their phone logs from the day before. Because I'm really curious about some calling behavior I'm seeing and wondering if it is "normal" for them.

On the day of the murders, Maggie calls her sister 5 times (plus 2x she didn't get through), and Marian calls Maggie 3 times. The shortest call was 1:27 mins, then 2:39m, 4:08m, 4:43m, 6:44m, 7:39m, 12:41m and 26:34m (at 10:17 in the morning after she'd already spoken to her once that morning!). Their last conversation is at 7:31 pm. That's in addition to Maggie forwarding Marian the group chat info about Richard's health updates.

I loved my sister dearly, but even when our mom was in the hospital after getting sent there for needing bypass surgery and I was unable to come down until the next day, I don't think I've had 8 phone conversations in one day with her.

So I'm wondering if this was usual for them, or was this more frequent and if so, why?
MP testified that MM liked to call her from the car. I have two friends like this. One’s vacation home is quite a distance from her primary home…much longer than MM. If she knows I am home, i always get calls along the way.

The pattern is like this too. A long conversation. Then, quick ones…”Did I tell you that new restaurant opened?’ ‘Forgot to ask, blah, blah.’ Just a way to pass time in the car.

The other friend seems to use her car like an office. I think she waits till she’s in the car to make calls. There’s always traffic noise when we talk.

I started watching the HBO/CNN documentary last night. Have one down, two to go. I thought I’d already watched it on HBO but hadn’t. (Side note - Netflix airs tomorrow). It’s incredible watching how the Murdaugh family essentially bullied their community for generations. It’s not new news, and I’ve been an avid follower of this story for 2 yrs, but just seeing it in front of me again it just amazes me.

Except for the fact two people are dead, I bet a lot of the community is really enjoying watching AM on trial. Thinking finally he is taken down from his throne.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again…everyone in that family seems so unlikeable and entitled.
Even Maggie’s sister, who was at least a bit of a sympathetic character, made me cringe when she spoke about how devastating the boat crash was for the Murdaugh family!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agirlnamedbob