SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Characteristics of Family Annihilator
1. Paranoid
2. Financial difficulties
3. Recently lost a job
4. Drug abuse or substance abuse
5. Saving Family from loss of status
6. Threat of family breaking up
7. Attempting suicide after murdering Family.

Winner winner chicken dinner for Bubba.

I was surprised to hear legal courtroom pundits last night speak about not having any awareness of a family annihilator as posed by AG/Waters to AM on Friday. John List (NJ) always comes to mind when I hear this term!

Trying to get an understanding of why MM was the target of such a brutal "overkill" by AM, I've drawn a blank but perhaps AM blamed MM for wanting to keep up with the Jones (i.e., Proctors) and also allowance for PM's underage drinking difficulties.

From the quoted link by OP - Categorizing the Killers: Four Types of Family Annihilator:

[..]

Disappointed: This killer believes his family has let him down or has acted in ways to undermine or destroy his vision of ideal family life. An example may be disappointment that children are not following the traditional religious or cultural customs of the father.

Anomic: In these cases the family has become firmly linked in the mind of the killer to the economy. The father sees family as the result of his economic success, allowing him to display his achievements. However, if the father becomes an economic failure, he sees the family as no longer serving this function.

The jury is aware of him, possibly spending the rest of his life in prison because of his financial crimes, the defense brought that up. I have read speculation that this maybe will make the jury inclined not to convict him since they know he will probably be in prison anyway. I’m wondering if it will have the opposite effect, knowing that they’re not sending somebody to prison who otherwise would be free . Doesn’t matter what they do he’s going to be in jail, takes the pressure off of them a little bit, I think. Anybody on the fence about convicting might be more inclined to do so Moo

IMO it was a planned murder about money, not a drug fueled rage.

Maggie had the power to deny him from using their primary assets (Moselle, which she owned 100%) and Edisto Beach (which she half owned) as collateral.

His father (who he offered up on June 3 as a possible co-signer for a $600k line of credit) was dying.

The legal fees for the criminal and civil boat cases were a financial drain.

It appeared that he would not be able to settle the civil case unless he gave Tinsely his financial info -- and that would open a big can of worms regarding his client and law firm thefts.

Jeanne S confronted him on the day of the murders about missing money.

I believe that he asked both Maggie and Paul to come to Moselle that day.

Speculation/JMO.
oh no, you are spot on in the facts. MM having the huge property asset for one property, the boat case settlement and subsequent fees was more than worrisome. the dying father, possible co-signer.

her sister testified MM was looking to move and chose a property she wanted to buy and AM told MM not the right time financially. she never pursued the purchase.

Jeanne S that very day confronted him about the firm's money

and yes, per MM's sister testimony MM called her the afternoon of June 7 and talked about how AM had asked MM to come to the home under the guise of going to visit his parents and wanted support from her and that Paul would be there. her sister said MM said she was not planning on it....and this is sad, her sister said she ENCOURAGED her to go be with AM to support him because of his father's condition. last time she spoke to her :(

With AM's self reported extreme opiod use, it is surprising that the link above has a creatinine level within normal limits, especially since he said he took upwards of a 1000mg/day over an extended period of time. Are there any medical people who also see this as odd?

Yes, there have been several comments on record from doctors and medical detox communities.

Thank you. It doesn't seem like the new charges are connect to the book that his sister tried to give him a couple of weeks ago.
So she or someone didn't try to do it again??? more recently??? Saw a deputy a couple of days ago talk to the judeg and wondered what that was all about. Everyone has to remember that it is real NEW to these Murdaughs that this world doesn't revolve around them, no matter where they live!!!

Irony is that Paul, the less loved son, appeared to be exactly like AM.
This right here I’m not too familiar with all the deets, have seen media only sporadically, but when I watched the NETFLIX, it seems that Paul most likely held a veneer of charm (like AM) but his drinking altar ego “Timmy” was the real self. And IMO his eyes reflect the same souless hubris of AM.

The jury is aware of him, possibly spending the rest of his life in prison because of his financial crimes, the defense brought that up. I have read speculation that this maybe will make the jury inclined not to convict him since they know he will probably be in prison anyway. I’m wondering if it will have the opposite effect, knowing that they’re not sending somebody to prison who otherwise would be free . Doesn’t matter what they do he’s going to be in jail, takes the pressure off of them a little bit, I think. Anybody on the fence about convicting might be more inclined to do so Moo

But I think if he isn’t convicted on murder that he would be able to write books for profit.

Do you happen to know what type of book? I missed this.
It was a book by John Grisham that mentioned a Black Judge from what I read, and passed illegally by his sister. Since then, some have tried to slip him contraband, none of which is allowed. No Contact is the Rule/Law, and they are lucky they weren't arrested.

IMO - MM was angling to divorce AM and that would have taken a toll on AM - financially, socially, and ego would not permit it to happen. PM was a financial noose around his neck from the boat crash. I believe he had a plan to do something and this plan was hastily put together after some discussion with Maggie at some point. I believe he lured her there and maybe on this night Paul was there too so he added him in to the plan.....

But he specifically said during redirect that he did not believe he impeded the investigation by lying because he knew he wasn’t the killer. The only way that lie impedes the investigation is by misdirecting attention away from him.
Total B.S. of course.

By telling the investigators that he saw Maggie and Paul alive at 8:45 instead of 7:45 would greatly narrow down the window when the murders could have occurred. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to know that establishing the time of death is one of the highest priorities of a murder investigation.

If I was the prosecutor, I would consider presenting the timeline according to AM and team. I would start with statements that AM offered or made without being asked, followed by when he was replying to questions asked.
He had a moderately good plan to make it look like he wasn't there, except that 1) he opened his mouth and 2) he didn't realize that PM had hit record.
If it wasn't for that recording, the prosecution's case would need more help. With it, AM had to readjust and squirm.

He thought by keeping it -on his property-
but away from his house he could control
-the story-. Access to multiple forms of transport, multiple guns. He did it in the evening after work so he could get all his lawyer buddies, brothers to circle his camp. Just like Morphew & Millette his cellphone went dark during the crime clean up. FGS he used his own mother that night….

MOO

I can't remember a recent investigation where a Faraday cage was used or where booties were worn at a rainy, outdoor scene, maybe someone else can. I may have a hint of a memory of a Faraday being used back in the olden days of technology. The other points I think go to his power.
The booties would be for the feed room, not the outside. But in the end it was determined that the killer never stepped inside, so the lack of booties probably wasn't too important.

As for the faraday cage, I don't know how often they are used although some quick googling shows that it is an investigative tool. However, in this case, the IT expert should have insisted they put Maggie's phone in one after its discovery. We know the murderer took the victim's phone and transported it some distance. If they could have pinpointed the time and route the phone traveled it would have certainly helped the prosecution.

The booties would be for the feed room, not the outside. But in the end it was determined that the killer never stepped inside, so the lack of booties probably wasn't too important.

As for the faraday cage, I don't know how often they are used although some quick googling shows that it is an investigative tool. However, in this case, the IT expert should have insisted they put Maggie's phone in one after its discovery. We know the murderer took the victim's phone and transported it some distance. If they could have pinpointed the time and route the phone traveled it would have certainly helped the prosecution.

Hopefully, this case (and the PM case, if PM had been tried in the boat criminal case) will become a major retraining tool for the local LE and SLED. I gotta say they would never have been able to try him and have a chance without that 8:44 Snap.

But I think if he isn’t convicted on murder that he would be able to write books for profit.
I believe he’s guilty and I’m hoping he’s convicted. I’m just wondering if the jury knowing whatever they do he’s going to be in prison for life, so it takes the pressure off of making the “wrong"decision.

This is probably a very valid consideration. No one, even on the smallest end of the reasonable doubt spectrum, would want to send an innocent man to jail resulting in wrongfully taking away Buster’s only remaining immediate family member. So to that point, I fear it’s a mistake to hammer this hard on the financial crimes that AM has already admitted to. It also opens up the defense to close with the defense that maybe AM was not paranoid. Maybe he knew that his opioid addiction coupled with his financial crimes would wrongfully taint the investigation, and he would be convicted of a crime he did not commit, leaving Buster all on his own. The prosecution needs to hammer down on the facts that prove AM is guilty of the murders…Leaving no room for doubt.

Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member