SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure that they were told they could donate the book to the library. That may be their own idea to game the system.
Well that phone call was from a year ago so nothing to do with current trial shenanigans.

I can see them being told to donate to the library so the jail could screen the books.

JMO

I read both the articles by Kathleen Parker in the Washington Post: the one about SLED's mistakes as well as the latest about AM's testimony, and I didn't catch any real mistakes in them. What did she get wrong?

Honestly, I thought they were both pretty fairly written articles even if the first one was quite harsh towards LE. SLED did make some significant errors that have hurt this case. In fact I would say that if not for the dog tail video, their slip-ups would have kept AM from ever being charged with the murders. And if AM is found not guilty it will be because SLED's actions (or lack thereof) created reasonable doubt for the jurors.

I know this won't be a popular stance, and I know that it's easy for me to sit on my couch and criticize. But this is not some small town sheriff who's never had to deal with a murder scene before. This is the state's preeminent law enforcement agency, and they really should have done a better job. I do hope they treat this as a wake-up call and look to improve their procedures, training and equipment so that they don't allow a murderer to go free in the future.

I've never seen a better investigation than SLED did for the murder of Samantha Josephson, so my conclusion is that this one was different because of Murdaugh's power. I really want them to fire every person who cut him any slack during the investigation.

Is this a reliable sign of something?
Yes I believe it is. If you watch how AM reacts after these signs from his lawyers you'll see a shift in how he answers and changes in his behavior. JG and DH have no other way of communicating with him. Seriously, if they didn't signal him, he would have tripped up even worse than he did. moo

I don't understand. If the book was passed from Lynn through the defense team it must have been in clear site of the court. Why wasn't it confiscated then and there? Also, is Lynn Murdaugh Goettee still allowed in the courtroom? What am I missing?

When this incident first happened (on the day of the bomb scare), it was alleged that AM's sister handed the book to DH's paralegal. She's typically seen in court seated directly behind DH. There would be no crime here until the contraband was proven intended for the defendant, AM. IMO, the paralegal could have refused the book on the spot or given it to the bailiff-- citing she received the book unaware it was intended for the defendant.

IMO, it's just part of the Murdaugh mentality that they are above following the rules applicable to all defendants at trial. Books are not illegal but there's a protocol to follow that includes going through the jail system.

To my knowledge, little more was made known except the following day, both Buster's and AM's sister's seats in the gallery were bumped backward a few rows. At the time, it was reported that Buster and AM's "I love you" exchanges as each was being evacuated from the courthouse were audible -- another courtroom violation of communicating with the defendant. MOO

I've never seen a better investigation than SLED did for the murder of Samantha Josephson, so my conclusion is that this one was different because of Murdaugh's power. I really want them to fire every person who cut him any slack during the investigation.
Agree! Coincidentally, Judge Newman presided over the trial of SJ's murderer too.

If I were on the jury I would have handed AM the tissue box....just so I wouldn't have to watch all of his snot dangling from his lying face.

I think the comments out there regarding the cross are concerning. Some think CWs cross was great and strategic. Some think he let AM control it all.

I don't mind letting AM ramble to dig his own grave, but I wish some things had been driven home a little harder on cross. Maybe that will be done at closing.

They should, I wish they would. Why not, he has been more than willing to talk about his drug use. They have done such a great job on making his drug use the problem and reason, but maybe they’ve done too good of a job! Coming full circle…

There is a much larger story here. I’m convinced of it now. And I didn’t think about the others who have died on his watch for supplying and dealing.
I guess the only possible fear about bringing too much more in this trial, is apparent need to focus on the slayings. Maybe the ‘drug’ story belongs more in the financial cases when/if pursued later? As some mentioned in last few days, prosecutors don’t want to get too mired down in tangential details. Need to sharpen around what happened on the evening and events of the double slayings? MOO.

There's no one left to corroborate his withdrawal stories except Buster. How convenient. Withdrawal isn't easy. There's a tissue tolerance and every cell in the body is screaming for more. Detox is also dangerous and there have been many heart attacks during hospital rehab. AM would be climbing the walls and doing all he could to get his hands on the substance. That also tells me that his 'addiction' wasn't as described.
From what I'm seeing online, when someone goes to detox from opioids, the doctors usually wean the patient off the drugs rather than having them go cold turkey. I can't imagine you could go from 2,000 mg a day to nothing in the seven days he said it took. The addict story doesn't hold up for me, which makes me wonder what he was doing with all those pills. Selling? Dealing?

She stuck something in the book?
The book itself would be contraband because it did not go through the jail system (i.e., inspect, approve, inventory, and deliver to the inmate).

ETA: SCDC | South Carolina Department of Corrections.

General population inmates may receive books, magazines, newspapers if they are sent directly from the publisher or from a publication supplier (licensed bookstore) and if they are paid for in advance.

Last edited:
When this incident first happened (on the day of the bomb scare), it was alleged that AM's sister handed the book to DH's paralegal. She's typically seen in court seated directly behind DH. There would be no crime here until the contraband was proven intended for the defendant, AM. IMO, the paralegal could have refused the book on the spot or given it to the bailiff-- citing she received the book unaware it was intended for the defendant.

IMO, it's just part of the Murdaugh mentality that they are above following the rules applicable to all defendants at trial. Books are not illegal but there's a protocol to follow that includes going through the jail system.

To my knowledge, little more was made known except the following day, both Buster's and AM's sister's seats in the gallery were bumped backward a few rows. At the time, it was reported that Buster and AM's "I love you" exchanges as each was being evacuated from the courthouse were audible -- another courtroom violation of communicating with the defendant. MOO

Also while Tinsley was testifying Buster used his middle finger to rub his face looking at Tinsley.

Did Paul and Maggie usually go to the kennels at that time of day? Was it just routine to go and feed the dogs at that time? What was the issue with the dog's tail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz