SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AM and family absolutely know all the jail and Court protocals.
He’s been locked up a long time. There’s a jailhouse call with him and his sister whining about being able to give him books. They were told that one way was to donate books to the jail library.
I’m sure they prefer to do it THEIR way.

His sister LMG works as a Victim Advocate for cripes sake!

Remember the group text between family about visiting Handsome in the hospital and she replied “ I’ll be in Court all week “

MOO

Yes in Summerville.
1St Circuit Solicitor's Office/Victim Advocate

He's the trustee most likely. The trustor is usually the initial trustee. He will be trustee till he is either unwilling, unable or dies.

Trusts protect your estate from probate. Without a trust, it would be up to the probate court to decide what happens with your property.
I believe it is without a will the probate court will distribute your estate. If you set up a trust, in your will you leave everything to the trust. Not everyone has a trust.
moo

He's the trustee most likely. The trustor is usually the initial trustee. He will be trustee till he is either unwilling, unable or dies.

Trusts protect your estate from probate. Without a trust, it would be up to the probate court to decide what happens with your property.

I agree. I think it's a very strong hypothesis.

I believe it is without a will the probate court will distribute your estate. If you set up a trust, in your will you leave everything to the trust. Not everyone has a trust.
moo

If you die with just a will, the will has to be probated. If you die without a will, the standard legal principles of your state will apply and the estate has to go through probate.

If you die with a will and a trust (in which the will references the trust), you do not have to go through probate. While individuals can sometimes get themselves through probate without hiring legal counsel (I helped my cousin do this - it was something of a nightmare for us, even with my years of being a paralegal and having a couple of lawyers/estate administrators that we could ask).

That's when I realized what a favor my parents did me, when they put everything into trust. Now we have wills, a trust and all of those end-of-life papers all executed. Kids will not have to go through probate.

In most states, if you have a will but no trust, it goes through probate.

IANAL, maybe a lawyer will weigh in - it does vary by state. IMO.

Honestly, I thought they were both pretty fairly written articles even if the first one was quite harsh towards LE. SLED did make some significant errors that have hurt this case. In fact I would say that if not for the dog tail video, their slip-ups would have kept AM from ever being charged with the murders. And if AM is found not guilty it will be because SLED's actions (or lack thereof) helped create reasonable doubt for the jurors.
^^rsbm

I've not read the MSM by the subject author but if I recall correctly, even the title of the article was critical of the State's investigation. I think Judge Newman got it right in his comments to JG when he questioned him about the tweet:

On Feb. 21, Judge Clifton Newman admonished Murdaugh's defense lawyer Jim Griffin for retweeting a Washington Post editorial criticizing the State's investigation in the Murdaugh case. (Screengrab)

Griffin tried to say it was "just a retweet," but the Judge reminded him of NBA player Kyrie Irving being suspended recently for "just a retweet."

Newman noted this doesn't appear to violate any rules of lawyer conduct, but it doesn't pass the feel test for impropriety. Griffin says he won't do it again.

Thank you. It doesn't seem like the new charges are connect to the book that his sister tried to give him a couple of weeks ago.
I’ve wondered about that. Would SLED be the LE agency behind those charges? If related to the contraband, I’d expect the LE agency that is holding AM to file them rather than SLED.

Could these be charges related to lying to a SLED agent, as AM has now admitted in his testimony that he did so?

How long has he been in custody? I would think he'd already gone through withdrawal. Do they drug test prisoners?

About 540 days. Give or take. Almost the same time he claims he's been clean.

In the jails where I work, yes, they drug test prisoners (not the overnighters, but everyone who is being held for trial or serving a sentence gets tested). If the person is arrested for drugs, even if an overnighter, they are tested. I don't know how it is in South Caroline when dealing with Emperor Murdaugh and his dynasty though.

He's no longer in withdrawal and did not claim to be. He claims to be clean and sober.

IMO.

And so what happens with that....given that the sister was already told no per the judge with regard to sliding the book over previously?
I don't think we are talking about a second book here. IMO, the recent charge being reported was for the initial incident that occurred on the date of the bomb scare.

I’ve wondered about that. Would SLED be the LE agency behind those charges? If related to the contraband, I’d expect the LE agency that is holding AM to file them rather than SLED.

Could these be charges related to lying to a SLED agent, as AM has now admitted in his testimony that he did so?

I think SLED is listed as the arresting agency but that may be for the other charges. I don’t know if that jail report is brand new or not.

These are such good points. This entire family is completely dysfunctional IMO. It reminds me of Ruth Madoff. Eventually she cut ties with Bernie after he was in jail but it took a while. Even at the cost of her relationship with her sons.
The Murdaugh MOB! Either he has ;stuff' on Them, or he has just always been the Boss, perhaps after his Father?? HIs Father was well respected, and his grandfather, so I have to wonder if criminality has always been a way of life, and people allowed it, because it benefited them in some way, Or people were Afraid of this Mob Family. I can only imagine.
When I lived in NJ, there was a Mafia family that lived in the town I lived in and the one over. One time a Teen, my age was dating one of their family, and when she broke up with him, he (17 yrs old) attacked her parents house, Shooting at it. Some Cops drove Corvettes, which let us citizens know they were on the take. Not All, but some. There are all kinds of Mobs out there. MOO

In addition to other surprising statements Alex made while testifying, this one (below) seems like a Freudian slip; where he revealed exactly what he was trying not to say. The 283 steps were taken at 9:02 (same number of steps taken by Paul at 8:32).

“I know what I wasn’t doing, Mr. Waters,” Murdaugh said. “What I wasn’t doing is doing anything — as I believe you’ve implied — that I was cleaning off or washing off guns, putting guns in a raincoat. And I can promise you that I wasn’t doing any of that.”​

PostandCourier

Or perjury???

^^rsbm

I've not read the MSM by the subject author but if I recall correctly, even the title of the article was critical of the State's investigation. I think Judge Newman got it right in his comments to JG when he questioned him about the tweet:

On Feb. 21, Judge Clifton Newman admonished Murdaugh's defense lawyer Jim Griffin for retweeting a Washington Post editorial criticizing the State's investigation in the Murdaugh case. (Screengrab)

Griffin tried to say it was "just a retweet," but the Judge reminded him of NBA player Kyrie Irving being suspended recently for "just a retweet."

Newman noted this doesn't appear to violate any rules of lawyer conduct, but it doesn't pass the feel test for impropriety. Griffin says he won't do it again.

The article was also an Opinion piece.

Oops wrong article. This is the one JG retweeted or quote tweeted:

I've never seen a better investigation than SLED did for the murder of Samantha Josephson, so my conclusion is that this one was different because of Murdaugh's power. I really want them to fire every person who cut him any slack during the investigation.
I agree that the Murdaugh name hindered this investigation at least in its initial stages. But there were a few things that are just head-scratchers for me.

For example, not using a faraday cage to preserve the GPS data on Maggie's phone. Or not using booties at the crime scene. Also, it never seemed to occur to the investigative team that AM could have been wearing the blue shirt and khakis (from the tree video) during the murders. The team was focused on the white t-shirt and green shorts that he put on later. It took until November 2022 that they finally seemed to make the connection even though they had that tree video from Day 1.

Again, I know it's easy to criticize. And there are a lot of things I give them a pass for, like not searching the Almeda property since they didn't have probable cause. But they really did make some unforced errors I wouldn't have expected from a state-level agency.

The incident where Alex's sister tried to give him a Grisham book happened a couple of weeks ago. Are these new charges related to her actions weeks ago, or is this something new and different?

"Online jail records from the Colleton County Sheriff’s Office reveal the following: “Warrant: Misdemeanor Arrest warrant 2023a1510100048 issued by Colleton, SC; Arrest Date 02/24/2023; Additional Hold for South Carolina Law Enforcement Division; Arrest Date 02/24/2023.”​
Citing unnamed sources, the Post & Courier reports that the charge involves contraband related to a book.​
Murdaugh may have received some sort of contraband material from a loved one this week in the course of the trial, according to FITSNews. The news outlet also noted that Murdaugh’s lawyers met with their client on Thursday in a lunch meeting."​

Crimeonline
I hope that the attorney(s) will also face charges for handing off the book.

In addition to other surprising statements Alex made while testifying, this one (below) seems like a Freudian slip; where he revealed exactly what he was trying not to say. The 283 steps were taken at 9:02 (same number of steps taken by Paul at 8:32).

“I know what I wasn’t doing, Mr. Waters,” Murdaugh said. “What I wasn’t doing is doing anything — as I believe you’ve implied — that I was cleaning off or washing off guns, putting guns in a raincoat. And I can promise you that I wasn’t doing any of that.”​

PostandCourier
I was kind of surprised AM said that. Why say out loud what the prosecutor is only implying, but not saying out loud?

Aside from that:

“I can promise you…”
”And THAT’S a fact…”

We often heard these assurances pass AM’s lips. To be honest, given his overall folksy persona, I’d have expected more folksy language in his assurances.

Something like, “you can put that in your pipe and smoke it.” I guess, given his documented scheming with Lafitte, I can understand why he might avoid saying, “And you can take that to the bank.”

Edited because I initially excluded my primary reply but only posted my aside. Sorry! Typing slower than my thoughts. (ETA: I meant faster...see what I mean!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member