SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #34

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AM looks drugged to me. He is not nearly as fidgety as he was last week and prior weeks at the trial.

Maybe he is beginning to ackowledge that he will be riding a one way bus to his new home at the state pen. South Carolina state prison...not a pleasant place. How the mighty have fallen. Hopefully, he will have a lifetime of honeybuns and Ramen.

The state calls its second reply witness, MUSC forensic pathologist Dr. Ellen Riemer.

Riemer reminds the jury she has performed about 5,500 autopsies, including a few since she was last here to testify in this case.

That cross-examination of Crosby was probably Harpootlian's most effective work since the trial began.

Riemer testifies that the defense’s experts used skin tags to judge the direction of the shotgun blast that killed Paul. She says skin tags are not reliable, especially when on soft tissue.

If the fatal shotgun blast had been a contact wound to the back of Paul’s head, Riemer testifies, the damage to Paul’s skull would have been much worse. His face would not have been left intact as it was, she testifies.

“There is no way that these features are consistent with a contact shotgun wound to the head,” Riemer says. Also, she says, the wounds on Paul’s shoulder and neck are consistent with entry wounds.

Riemer repeatedly and forcefully disagrees with the defense expert witness we heard from yesterday. Waters is done questioning her. Harpootlian is back up for cross-examination.

We are on a short break. Harpootlian has become combative with Dr. Riemer, and she is giving it right back. I think this might be a trend today.

On second read of that reversal by the judge, it appears the media pool is only visiting Moselle *after* the jury visit. So we won’t be there to see the jury take it in. I don’t really see the point.
Continued:

Harpootlian establishes that Dr. Riemer didn’t take X-rays of Paul's brain, which could feasibly still have pellets in it. Riemer: “I determined that wasn’t necessary.” H: “To support your conclusion.” R: “I guess hindsight is 20/20.” She says she wishes she had.

The live updates have slowed to a trickle because Harpootlian and Riemer have spent the past 15 minutes going in circles. We are in an "agree to disagree" loop whether both sides are still trying to win.

I'm getting a lot of work done, though

Harpootlian ends his cross. Waters rises. He says he has just two questions. He asks them, establishing that Riemer has performed some 5,500 autopsies and has a lot of experience. Waters begins to ask a third question and Harpootlian jokingly objects. Even Waters laughs.

Riemer is done on the stand. The state's third reply witness is former Hampton County Sheriff T.C. Smalls. We haven't heard from him before. Small retired in December after 39 years in law enforcement.

I don’t see how this can change anything. If the shooter was closer, kneeling, standing, or laying on the floor, the result was the same.
IMO, I could, of course be wrong as I have jumped into this case way late, but it seemed to me the defense was trying to create reasonable doubt by a possible murder/suicide

Maybe he is beginning to ackowledge that he will be riding a one way bus to his new home at the state pen. South Carolina state prison...not a pleasant place. How the mighty have fallen. Hopefully, he will have a lifetime of honeybuns and Ramen.

Ghislaine Maxwell has let us all know....jail food is not all it's cracked up to be....

The state's third reply witness is former Hampton County Sheriff T.C. Smalls. We haven't heard from him before. Small retired in December after 39 years in law enforcement.

Waters: Did you ever speak with Alex Murdaugh about him installing blue lights on his private vehicle? Smalls: “No, sir.” So now Waters has elicited testimony that Alex Murdaugh lied to the jury last week. Woof.

Waters: Did he ever approach you about threats made in connection with the boat case? Smalls: “No, he never has.” Waters: Nothing further.

Griffin on cross: You were questioned about whether you gave him permission and said you did not. Smalls: Right. G: Do you know whether Anthony Russell gave him permission? S: “I can’t answer that.”

Anthony Russell was a captain under Smalls who was elected Hampton County sheriff after Smalls.

Smalls on AM: “I never had any knowledge that he had blue lights in the vehicle.”

Smalls steps down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members