VERDICT WATCH SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wonder why only Maggie's sister testified, why no friends? she seems like the totally forgotten person in all this. EVERYONE grieves over Paul. It is odd.

I don't think that she had friends. She was probably so busy trying to support her dysfunctional spouse, raising her kids, managing codependency takes a lot of energy. And she can't complain to anyone, because she has to keep up the front of having a perfect life.

I think that the former housekeeper was probably her friend, and we see how that friendship ended.

I also wonder why only Maggie's sister testified, why no friends? she seems like the totally forgotten person in all this. EVERYONE grieves over Paul. It is odd.

I think when you marry into this family that is your world. I don't think the dysfunction was only within the AM family but across many branches of the tree. That said, I believe that after the boat accident, any connections she had outside of the family and those who worked for the family (at the homes or in the office) were lost. The town turned on them (rightfully so) as AM and his father applied pressure and split the area between the rich M family and those with less power --- as seen in accounts on the Netflix series. They also did things with her family. I would love to know what more of them are thinking because I have a feeling that they are Team Maggie and not Team Murdaugh in this trial. It is really sad to think that a family with an involved set of parents with lots of opportunities to do good evolved/devolved into what we saw starting at the boat accident. So many good people with power and money use their power for good.

Going ahead and posting this tweet...seeing many tweets about pollen issues in the Lowcountry.

Yup. My car is green!!! That usually doesn't happen until late March usually. I'm been having allergy problems since last week. I've been in bare feet for almost a week now and it usually takes until late April until I can do that. With the exception of few days around Christmas it's been very mild down here this Winter. I shut my heater down last week for the season.
DH is clearly exhausted by this trial and frustrated with his client. He would not be a good spokesperson for this defense. AM trusts JG. JG is actually the slimier of the 2 major defense attorneys. DH is over the top for his clients and is unafraid to challenge. JG plays an emotion card and seems to believe that AM is innocent even when facts go against him.

He showed his @SS today in my opinion. He came off as a petulant child and I really think they told him to just sit there the rest of the day and keep his mouth shut. He was practically absent the rest of the day after his little tantrum. I've said it before and I'll say it again...the days of guys like him are rapidly coming to a close as more and more locals sell out to Northern progressives who are moving down here in droves. People are tired of the white privilege and entitlement. It's an ugly look and frankly his episode today was an embarrassment.

If the jury is hung both sides usually extensively interview the jurors to see what arguments didn't resonate and which ones succeeded. As a trial lawyer myself, I've been thinking it would be hung because too much time was spent on financial crimes when the murders are really what it's about. I thought AM was an effective witness for himself which is usually not the case. His mantra is I lied, cheated and stole but I didn't kill my precious Mags and Pau-pau. He is an astoundingly effective liar which pretty much enforces everything that's been said about him being a malignant sociopathic narcissist .
Why should anyone think the jury will believe he is not lying to them about murdering his wife and son?? Isn't a jury charge that if the jury knows/thinks he lied about something they can assume he lied about one or more things... or words similar???

I agree! I’ve read she had many friends and was warm, smart, funny and could be feisty too! I’ll try to find the article I read awhile back when trying to learn more about her and link it. I feel so sad for her, and Paul too —- but Maggie …ugh

I’m still looking for the older article I read about Maggie but here’s her obit while I’m looking

Sorry if I've worded that in a confusing way.
:oops:

Just what it says ... wondering what Buster is thinking these days ?
Sometimes people will try to put themselves into another's shoes to imagine why they act the way they do.
Thus far, Buster seems to still be on AM's side.
Does some part of him hope his dad is innocent ?
I truly don't know.
I may be wrong but based on my observations of them in court LMG, Bu$, and JMM still seem solidly behind AM. Not sure about RM. I find this stunning. If nothing else, who had the means, motive, and opportunity? There seems to be some serious denial and enabling going on with this group but I guess that shouldn't surprise us. OMO.

Thanks! Did you see that I did an edit and added that the article stated that Maggie had named her sister as executor of her estate. Her name was crossed out, and Alex‘s fathers name was hand written in. MP was unaware that she was executor or that the change had taken place. They asked her to sign documents making John Marvin the executor. I can understand her agreeing to that because of the lawsuits, but certainly seems unsavory to do it without asking her. Moo

Actually, what MP signed would be an affidavit that she was renouncing being named as the MM's personal representative freely and not receiving any money for relinquishing the duty. The probate court would then appoint a personal rep, not MP. I don't understand MM naming her sister without ever having asked her first. JMO

ETA: Given MM bequeathed her entire estate to AM, I don't find it odd that she did not name him as her personal rep. She probably thought he'd be too busy mourning her.

Last edited:
I agree! I’ve read she had many friends and was warm, smart, funny and could be feisty too! I’ll try to find the article I read awhile back when trying to learn more about her and link it. I feel so sad for her, and Paul too —- but Maggie …ugh

I wonder how many people would not want to testify or get anywhere near AM as he and the family are radioactive. Most likely, the people who were her friend's spouses were business partners of AMs at the firm or adjacent business ventures. None of her friends would want to be ripped apart by the defense or have to answer questions about their spouses business dealings. Staying away is a smart move.

Ok…y’all …it’s the NY Post, so take it with a grain of salt, but here’s one of the articles I remember reading while trying to understand who Maggie was when she was alive

[…]

John T. Lay, a court-appointed attorney overseeing and liquidating Murdaugh’s assets and putting them into a trust for victims, told Realtor.com that more than $2 million of the $3.9 million sale will go toward paying off the lien from the mortgage company, Palmetto State Bank, and about $500,000 will go to Buster as part of his inheritance from his mother’s estate.

Lay said that an additional $600,000 will be distributed to the family of Mallory Beach, the 19-year-old who was killed in a 2019 boating collision in a boat driven by Paul Murdaugh. The younger Murdaugh was indicted by a grand jury on three felony charges, including boating under the influence causing death and boating under the influence causing injury.

After Beach’s parents sued over their daughter’s death, Paul Murdaugh’s attorneys told them that he couldn’t afford a settlement. That’s when Beach’s family requested a court order for the younger Murdaugh to disclose his bank records. A hearing had been scheduled for June 10, 2021, but the charges were dropped after Paul Murdaugh’s death, WCBD in Charleston reported.

The sale of Moselle is expected to be finalized March 8, Lay told Realtor.com — meaning Murdaugh could be acquitted or convicted of murder by the time the new owner comes into possession of the property.

Suspected drug smuggler? Since he is dead maybe that can of worms won't ever get opened.......
Someone knows. AM did not operate in a vacuum. He was a chameleon who could travel in various circles with all kinds of connections. Eddie Smith for instance, who would pair him up with a Murdaugh? I hope there will be further investigations and indictments for GS and SS.

I think when you marry into this family that is your world. I don't think the dysfunction was only within the AM family but across many branches of the tree. That said, I believe that after the boat accident, any connections she had outside of the family and those who worked for the family (at the homes or in the office) were lost. The town turned on them (rightfully so) as AM and his father applied pressure and split the area between the rich M family and those with less power --- as seen in accounts on the Netflix series. They also did things with her family. I would love to know what more of them are thinking because I have a feeling that they are Team Maggie and not Team Murdaugh in this trial. It is really sad to think that a family with an involved set of parents with lots of opportunities to do good evolved/devolved into what we saw starting at the boat accident. So many good people with power and money use their power for good.
Referring to the Netflix documentary, which has been linked many times upthread, I was wondering if anyone caught this in the 2nd episode. At 23:33 in the second episode, when MT was showing the phone records of AM, at 9:59 AM on 2-24-2019 AM made a phone call to CS.

Just wondering

JMO

Speaking of real estate, this is from October 2022

A Beaufort County island co-owned by disgraced and disbarred South Carolina attorney Richard “Alex” Murdaugh and a deceased drug-smuggling suspect is up for sale, pending court approval.

Jailed in Richland County and facing more than 90 criminal charges and 11 lawsuits, Murdaugh has had his assets placed under the control of court-appointed attorneys known as receivers who are tasked with identifying assets and potentially liquidating them to create a settlement fund for alleged victims.

Amy Hill, attorney for co-receivers Peter McCoy Jr. and John Lay Jr., filed a “motion for court consideration and approval of the sale of real estate" on Sept. 20 before Judge Daniel Hall in Hampton County Court of Common Pleas.

This property that's for sale, known as “Island A,” is a 22-acre island that is the largest in the three Cherry Knoll Hill Islands, also called the “Williams Islands,” located off the coast of Beaufort, according to the court filing.

It's accessible only by boat and only during certain tides. It has a dock that suffered hurricane damage long before the approach of Ian that's not considered useable.

Islands co-owned by Murdaugh and deceased drug-smuggling suspect​

The island for sale is 50% owned by Murdaugh through Murdaugh Holdings and 50% owned by the Estate of Barrett Boulware, according to the court filing.

According to another filing on Sept. 1 by the co-receivers in Hampton County Court of Common Pleas, Murdaugh owns at least seven islands in and around Beaufort County ranging in size from 20.05 acres to .08 acres — all either directly as a co-owner with Boulware or as co-owner through an entity or joint venture.

[…]

What makes this worse is I believe this is the same property that AM had a minority interest in and when others fell out, he took up for them when he couldn't even afford his own investment. Nonetheless, he was now 50% owner with the now deceased 50% alleged drug smuggler owner. Location, location? Seems to me, AM desperately wanted this property for illegal reasons. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay