GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Initially I think yes...Owens was definitely onto AM but the feeling seemed to be that they were extending "professional courtesies" to AM based on past relationships....a high number of powerful attorneys at the crime scene etc. But they took their time really acting on it. Letting them all gather in the house which should have been sealed off etc.

Just as the poll asks earlier and it got by me, I’d love to know his inner thoughts after his interviews. Not the thoughts that he had to have for his jobs sake but his true feelings.

I love this judge and I don't think he did anything wrong with his remarks. I think he was amazing, calm and measured and in full control of his court during the trial.

I did see some people in L and C chat complaining, saying it showed the judge was biased and unfair, and it hurt AM's chances for a fair trial. etc etc.....I disagree because I think the judge followed the legal precedents and was impartial in his rulings.

But some of the complaints were that the judge ,allowing in the prior bad acts , unfairly prejudiced the jury against the defendant.
Bravo.I think the judge spoke for the victims.

The one male juror that has been on the news said the kennel video was the deciding factor.
(not the stealing).

Moo

My guess is that it had all the earmarks of a targeted killing. Nothing missing..etc etc. They may have suspected AM but initially, it looked targeted (perps knew what they wanted to do and to whom) and therefore not a deranged serial killer looking for money and jewelry and taking the cars. However, could it have been someone looking for drugs? Hmmmmmm.....
i think the drug angle might have been a better road to go down...putting the squeeze on AM for non payment by killing family. I could have bought that more than the random vigilantes crap.

SBM

Oh, I absolutely agree. I don’t know that I’d be a true peer.

It’s not as though people don’t have guns here in NYC, but those are the criminal element.

There is not a culture here of gun rooms, hunting feral hogs, or one family running the town. Sure, plenty of powerful people here, but too many of them and so the power is dispersed, not concentrated on one main family.

I would be lost on a jury trying to fathom this entire milieu. It’s like a foreign country to me. Even the mannerisms and the “Pau-Pau” stuff would drive me berserk.

I would have said he was guilty due to the kennel video, and the endless trail of lies AM had spouted, certainly; but all the rest of it would be fairly incomprehensible as it’s so unfamiliar.

I got the shakes when sitting on my couch as soon as DH started pointing that rifle around. Not used to seeing guns!

I would never have heard of a Murdaugh dynasty without this case, because they were big fish, yes, but in a small pond.

Now IMO for a REAL dynasty, like the Kennedys, I still think I could have served on William Kennedy Smith’s jury even though I’m certainly not in their mileu, either. But that case was a rape case, “he said, she said,” and I could have understood the evidence there.

Of course William Kennedy Smith was found not guilty in 75 minutes, though, and the case was notorious due to who he was. But fortunately, the victim was alive and at least had the opportunity to go to court against her (alleged) attacker.

Jmo
From another NYC lifer, you really summed up what got me hooked on this case in the first place. We have our crime families for sure, but they didn't (don't) have this scope of power to own LE and the courts. I hope someone examines this family with a Godfather-like attention to detail.

It seems clear that within hours of that boat accident AM and machine were in full on mode to frame Connor for the death. Thankfully a careful analysis of positions in the boat and possible drivers led to conclusion that it was Paul. That fact added to so many others paint the picture of AM as such a vile human being. And he is right there saying he can help get Connor off. I don't think any parent could have made up that story. And remember this Murdaugh dynasty started way back with AM the great grandfather....we don't know 1/2 the stories but I bet many locals do.
As if in an admission of guilt, within the settlement arrangements for the sale of Moselle, Connor Cook receives $100,000. That's not a large settlement. In real life, CC, 19yo, was physically, and likely emotionally, injured in the boating crash. He suffered a large cut on his face and multiple jaw fractures and bears scars today. CC filed a lawsuit against the M's.
The link to the details on the sale was posted often in the last thread.

Alex Murdaugh Orchestrated Cover-Up, Tried to Blame Someone Else for Son's Deadly Boating Crash: Lawsuit

Alex Murdaugh Orchestrated Cover-Up, Tried to Blame Someone Else for Son’s Deadly Boating Crash: Lawsuit

Sep 22nd, 2021
The lawsuit alleges that the Murdaugh family — < > — knew that Paul Murdaugh “would often drink to the point of intoxication and was known to operate family vehicles, including boats, while under the influence of alcohol.”

> defendants in Cook’s civil lawsuit are < >“Alex” Murdaugh and Paul’s brother Richard Alexander Murdaugh, Jr. (Though he isn’t listed as such in the lawsuit, Murdaugh, Jr. goes by the nickname “Buster.”) Also named are GMP, Inc., < > store in Ridgeland, S.C., and Tajeeha Cohen,< >

i think that boat crash was a major component in AM's world collapsing around him. His attempts to connect that to these murders was really another low point in his miserable life.
Absolutely. IMO, AM didn't expect his greed to catch up to him so soon, and where drawing on millions for GS left him without appropriate, personal liability protection. The smartest dude in the room left himself wide open for "the tiger" Tinsley!

I can honestly see AM justifying ending PM's life not only because of the money PM would cost him but I don't think he saw a future for PM with a felony conviction. In his eyes, PM's life wouldn't be worth living.

And I loved that reference to Tinsley by Judge Newman. :)

We really don't know what she said or when she said it. Lots of people commented early in the trial that the prosecution trial seemed disjointed and they hadn't really pulled the various bits of evidence into a coherent narrative. That happened later, with the introduction of the OnStar evidence and the timeline docs. The juror may have just made a comment during the first few days of the trial that the prosecution hadn't proved its case yet.

And we do know that only 9 of the 12 jurors initially voted guilty, but the holdouts changed their minds after some discussion. There's really no reason to believe that whatever this juror's opinion would have been at the close of the trial, she wouldn't have also have been open-minded during deliberations.

In any case, if she did make comments about the trial to her friends, the judge had no choice but to remove her. I don't see how that could be considered reversible error. (I would say that leaving her on the jury would be more grounds for appeal than removing her.)
Credit to Gardenista who originally posted about this :) Also, as a sidenote, while my perception of L & C's commentary was that it was a little too "pro-defense no matter what", I was pleasantly suprised by FitsNews coverage. I thought it seemed less biased, less sensational and more informative than other L & C. (Probably, in no small part, due to FITS being based in S. Carolina with a history there.)
'Murdaugh Murders' Trial: Alex Murdaugh Guilty On All Counts - FITSNews

"She was dug in,” a source familiar with the deliberations confirmed, referring to the juror removed who was removed earlier in the day by S.C. circuit court judge Clifton Newman. “She said he was ‘not guilty’ and there was nothing anyone could do to change her mind.”

“She would have hung the jury,” another source confirmed.

As if in an admission of guilt, within the settlement arrangements for the sale of Moselle, Connor Cook receives $100,000. That's not a large settlement. In real life, CC, 19yo, was physically, and likely emotionally, injured in the boating crash. He suffered a large cut on his face and multiple jaw fractures and bears scars today. CC filed a lawsuit against the M's.
The link to the details on the sale was posted often in the last thread.

Alex Murdaugh Orchestrated Cover-Up, Tried to Blame Someone Else for Son's Deadly Boating Crash: Lawsuit

Alex Murdaugh Orchestrated Cover-Up, Tried to Blame Someone Else for Son’s Deadly Boating Crash: Lawsuit

Sep 22nd, 2021
The lawsuit alleges that the Murdaugh family — < > — knew that Paul Murdaugh “would often drink to the point of intoxication and was known to operate family vehicles, including boats, while under the influence of alcohol.”

> defendants in Cook’s civil lawsuit are < >“Alex” Murdaugh and Paul’s brother Richard Alexander Murdaugh, Jr. (Though he isn’t listed as such in the lawsuit, Murdaugh, Jr. goes by the nickname “Buster.”) Also named are GMP, Inc., < > store in Ridgeland, S.C., and Tajeeha Cohen,< >
I agree with you 100% about the size of that settlement. My gosh, that just seems so inadequate given those physical injuries and the emotional trauma of the whole experience.

It is interesting how jurors do come into the jury room with a varied background.

I agree.

I just wish so many people didn't receive their jury summons with a groan... it's an important duty for everyone. I feel everyone should, if at all possible, serve on a jury. Since the pay, food, parking costs, etc. are often poor, sub-par, and/or problematic, I think employers should compensate their employees if at all possible.

jmo

Absolutely. IMO, AM didn't expect his greed to catch up to him so soon, and where drawing on millions for GS left him without appropriate, personal liability protection. The smartest dude in the room left himself wide open for "the tiger" Tinsley!

I can honestly see AM justifying ending PM's life not only because of the money PM would cost him but I don't think he saw a future for PM with a felony conviction. In his eyes, PM's life wouldn't be worth living.

And I loved that reference to Tinsley by Judge Newman. :)
Judge Newman has AM's number from day one of the trial and I am sure prior. He has been around long enough to watch the dynasty and how they operate. I honestly don't think he bought one thing that AM said in that courtroom...something about the way he looked at him....some would say he was biased but would any other judge in that county been any less biased. You could not find a judge that has not had some dealings with the Murdaugh clan. AM on the stand and his dead son's video was all that was needed to close this out.

Credit to Gardenista who originally posted about this :) Also, as a sidenote, while my perception of L & C's commentary was that it was a little too "pro-defense no matter what", I was pleasantly suprised by FitsNews coverage. I thought it seemed less biased, less sensational and more informative than other L & C. (Probably, in no small part, due to FITS being based in S. Carolina with a history there.)
'Murdaugh Murders' Trial: Alex Murdaugh Guilty On All Counts - FITSNews

"She was dug in,” a source familiar with the deliberations confirmed, referring to the juror removed who was removed earlier in the day by S.C. circuit court judge Clifton Newman. “She said he was ‘not guilty’ and there was nothing anyone could do to change her mind.”

“She would have hung the jury,” another source confirmed.
boy if that is the case what a turn of events for the defense. Clearly DH was not happy. But any court would uphold the decision of Judge Newman to remove her. I wonder since she loves to talk so much if she will be doing some talking now?

I agree.

I just wish so many people didn't receive their jury summons with a groan... it's an important duty for everyone. I feel everyone should, if at all possible, serve on a jury. Since the pay, food, parking costs, etc. are often poor, sub-par, and/or problematic, I think employers should compensate their employees if at all possible.

jmo

Most employers do, you submit your nominal check for jury duty, and get your regular pay. Some employers don't even want the jury duty check.

My friend at work had a "grand jury" duty for a year. That seemed a bit excessive to me, because I ended up stuck picking up her work while she was doing jury duty. It was a bit much for an entire year.

I agree.

jmo
Yes the lack of compensation is awful. I have been called twice..once while workig and once when retired. Both experiences were really positive and while they both settled I learned so much about the process and one judge even invited us into chambers to explain and answer questions. I was so glad for the experience...but I too started out with a groan.

I don't believe it was as detrimental as that.

Newman said. "I'm not suggesting that you intentionally did anything wrong, but that in order to preserve the integrity of the process and in fairness to all the parties involved, we're going to replace you with one of the other jurors."

IMO, detrimental or not, I don't see Judge Newman expressing himself in any other manner. Newman's a smart dude, the result to remove her would be the same whether he handed her a scarlet letter or let her leave with her eggs and an ounce of dignity.

We know she expressed an opinion on evidence and it was of sufficient value for DH to fight her being removed from the panel for a clear violation of the oath she took! JMO

Most employers do, you submit your nominal check for jury duty, and get your regular pay. Some employers don't even want the jury duty check.

My friend at work had a "grand jury" duty for a year. That seemed a bit excessive to me, because I ended up stuck picking up her work while she was doing jury duty. It was a bit much for an entire year.
Mickey not sure where you live but my experience is many many employers don't pay and if they do not regular pay. I am glad to hear some do get paid. I got a portion and a pittance from the court (about enough for parking downtown).

IMO, detrimental or not, I don't see Judge Newman expressing himself in any other manner. Newman's a smart dude, the result to remove her would be the same whether he handed her a scarlet letter or let her leave with her eggs and an ounce of dignity.

We know she expressed an opinion on evidence and it was of sufficient value for DH to fight her being removed from the panel for a clear violation of the oath she took! JMO
I wondered on what grounds he would think she could stay. She talked and he liked what she said so she should stay????? He drove me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper