GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, since I'm still getting used to WS...

What is going to be the best way to keep track of upcoming Murdaugh issues on WS, like the financial cases/drug cases/Gloria Satterfield? I see Stephen Smith has a thread, but nothing for GS or the others. Obviously they won't be posted on this thread as a continuation, but where do we think they will end up/how will we find them on here? I definitely don't want to miss them.

Another juror speaks. This one is 22 years old. I did find it striking, when the camera did pan by the jury for a second, how young the jury appeared compared to what I usually see.

His name is James and he sounds very sharp.

He says the kennel video was the main factor. Yes, how could anybody deny that it proves it!

Interesting that it says 11 of them went back for the sentencing.

Thanks for linking the words from the 22 yr old juror sharing his views with fox digital.

IMO, besides being the same age as one of the victims, I think he was able to bring very relatable insight to the panel, and for the rest of us, just one more example of the beauty of America's jurisprudence that provides for a defendant being judged by a jury of his peers.

In other words, I can't imagine this case being judged by a panel without any understanding of birdshot, hog hunting, random spent shells on the ground, or a gun room. JMO

There seems to have been a lot of rumblings about the juror who was replaced on the last day, that she was possibly a hold out for AM, and all it would have taken for a mistrial was one juror.

I see that as a possible opportunity for appeal.

We really don't know what she said or when she said it. Lots of people commented early in the trial that the prosecution trial seemed disjointed and they hadn't really pulled the various bits of evidence into a coherent narrative. That happened later, with the introduction of the OnStar evidence and the timeline docs. The juror may have just made a comment during the first few days of the trial that the prosecution hadn't proved its case yet.

And we do know that only 9 of the 12 jurors initially voted guilty, but the holdouts changed their minds after some discussion. There's really no reason to believe that whatever this juror's opinion would have been at the close of the trial, she wouldn't have also have been open-minded during deliberations.

In any case, if she did make comments about the trial to her friends, the judge had no choice but to remove her. I don't see how that could be considered reversible error. (I would say that leaving her on the jury would be more grounds for appeal than removing her.)

My impression of his evasion on that was that he was being technical -- maybe he lied to clients over the phone or by email/text so he didn't recall "looking anyone in the eye", or at least he could claim that in his mind. I really felt Waters should have modified his questions because of how Alex was answering. After the early litigation phase, communications with civil litigation clients are usually not in person. JMO.
IMO, Mr Waters did qualify this question over and over....and AM did eventually concede. "there are plenty of conversations where I looked people in the eye and I lied to them" but he cant recall one single client that he would remember sitting there with him and looking them in the eye....(all semantics for AM...phone meeting, but there were in person meetings and blah blah) Waters got what he wanted. these clients were dollar signs to him. (the question about these are real people, right?) then the disgusting statement he cared about the people he stole from..oh gawd.

he wont remember looking the jury in the eye either...just another con effort IMO

I don't know if others perceived this but Griffin seemed less excited about an appeal and in a way seemed beaten down and sort of over this whole AM debacle. I think he knew Paul and Maggie well and is devastated at their brutal murder. He knows there are no other suspects. I found <modsnip> comment "not our job" to find the real killer/s really sad. Of course it is not but as usual with this guy it could have been worded better. They also have the 99+ cases ahead for this guy. I mean seriously I don't think Griffin believes in his client and it shows..it showed in closing. He is getting very poor reviews on his performance at closing.
True as far as JG not being believable. But DH was not likeable. Neither defense argument would have worked anyway IMO.

Somehow I don't believe that AM's family is fully believing in his innocence and steadfast in their support. That sounds like typical defense attorney crapola to me. :rolleyes:

I have seen cases where families stood by in total support---and they took the stand in an effort to mitigate the penalty and to publicly show their loved one their total support.

I've seen grown kids who support their parents, even when that parent allegedly killed the other parent. And grandparents who have stood by their children, even when they are accused of killing the grandchild. And these family members who believe their loved ones are innocent will publicly proclaim that belief. JMO

"crapola..." -- *love* that word (and it's been a long time since I've seen -- or heard -- it, too)! When reading it in the context of "typical defense attorney crapola...", it's the BEST! :D

OT: Love that pic you have with the flag on a barn. Looks authentic (here in the Midwest we do have a lot of barns; just very few with flags painted on 'em)!

Yes, or why would they say for the town not to worry. Unless they said it just to make people feel safe, which would make me angry, as I'd want to be aware and on guard If there were a known danger nearby.

That bugged me for months. They were able to say that but then the brothers go on GMA a few days after the murders and say they have No enemies! Which was a dumb thing to say. It’s a natural thing for an attorney to have some people on the defence side that weren’t pleased and were disgruntled with a verdict. Doesn’t mean they want to murder the opposing counsel but some are angry.

I lean to Sled going off of what AM said in the beginning “it was targeted because of the boat accident, Paul was getting threats and bullied, etc”

IMO, Mr Waters did qualify this question over and over....and AM did eventually concede. "there are plenty of conversations where I looked people in the eye and I lied to them" but he cant recall one single client that he would remember sitting there with him and looking them in the eye....(all semantics for AM...phone meeting, but there were in person meetings and blah blah) Waters got what he wanted. these clients were dollar signs to him. (the question about these are real people, right?) then the disgusting statement he cared about the people he stole from..oh gawd.

he wont remember looking the jury in the eye either...just another con effort IMO
I personally thought Waters went on too long with it and wasn’t picking up on Alex’s word parsing quickly enough, but I had the luxury of sitting in my living room watching as opposed to being in the heat of battle like CW. I know other opinions may vary! And I have great admiration for CW. Overall he was superb IMO.

Thanks for linking the words from the 22 yr old juror sharing his views with fox digital.

IMO, besides being the same age as one of the victims, I think he was able to bring very relatable insight to the panel, and for the rest of us, just one more example of the beauty of America's jurisprudence that provides for a defendant being judged by a jury of his peers.

In other words, I can't imagine this case being judged by a panel without any understanding of birdshot, hog hunting, random spent shells on the ground, or a gun room. JMO

And yet Dick seemed to be clueless with a gun in his hands or talking about guns, someone else should have done that part.

Jmo

Yes, or why would they say for the town not to worry. Unless they said it just to make people feel safe, which would make me angry, as I'd want to be aware and on guard If there were a known danger nearby.
My guess is that it had all the earmarks of a targeted killing. Nothing missing..etc etc. They may have suspected AM but initially, it looked targeted (perps knew what they wanted to do and to whom) and therefore not a deranged serial killer looking for money and jewelry and taking the cars. However, could it have been someone looking for drugs? Hmmmmmm.....

I like Romans 12:20 (kindness heaps coals of fire upon the heads of the enemy).

Judge Newman seems like a truly kind person, which makes him so well-suited to his job as the last stop before prison for so many accused people.

IMO.
And for some, the last stop before meeting their maker.

Just as he offered Alex an opportunity at redemption through telling the truth, he's probably done the same for many others. I hope some relaxed the mask long enough to take him up on it.

I imagine if I were to meet Judge Newman, I'd be inclined to stand up a little straighter, take a good honest look at myself, and make a resolution to fix those parts that were slipping a bit.

That bugged me for months. They were able to say that but then the brothers go on GMA a few days after the murders and say they have No enemies! Which was a dumb thing to say. It’s a natural thing for an attorney to have some people on the defence side that weren’t pleased and were disgruntled with a verdict. Doesn’t mean they want to murder the opposing counsel but some are angry.

I lean to Sled going off of what AM said in the beginning “it was targeted because of the boat accident, Paul was getting threats and bullied, etc”
I agree!

My guess is that it had all the earmarks of a targeted killing. Nothing missing..etc etc. They may have suspected AM but initially, it looked targeted (perps knew what they wanted to do and to whom) and therefore not a deranged serial killer looking for money and jewelry and taking the cars. However, could it have been someone looking for drugs? Hmmmmmm.....
If it was just someone looking for drugs--- why didn't the dogs or hens alert to strangers near by, why did AM want Mushell Smith to lie about being with his mother for 40 minutes when it was about 19 minutes, and why lie month after month after month that he never went to the kennel??

I'll be surprised if they do because I think there's not enough money for it. But not because they were his lawyers already - I do believe they're the only people who could gather (quickly and cheaply) the various facts for the appeal (and the documents are needed within 30 days). I can think of 5-6 major ways that they will appeal (anyone can appeal and use any cause for appeal that they wish - defense attorneys yesterday signaled at least a few of them).

I think they're going to try and make a laundry list. None will ever make it past the SC Supreme Court, IMO. But I'm a betting person.

IMO.

The ten-day notice to file the intent to appeal is time sensitive, and it follows that AM's defense counsel make the statutory filing for the newly convicted, and proof of the court filing, served on all parties within 30 days.

In my experience, I have NEVER seen an appeal where an extension notice is not filed-- simply given the time it takes not only to procure a certified copy of the six-week trial transcript but also the time required to review a trial transcript of this magnitude!

Although I see DH handing the grunt work to the juniors in the backroom, there's still plenty of time for AM to engage new counsel for his appeal if required.

Also, I believe it was JG that was excited to also cite a federal case he believes is applicable here where they can exhaust all their state court appeals and still have another avenue remaining. MOO

SBM

Oh, I absolutely agree. I don’t know that I’d be a true peer.

It’s not as though people don’t have guns here in NYC, but those are the criminal element.

There is not a culture here of gun rooms, hunting feral hogs, or one family running the town. Sure, plenty of powerful people here, but too many of them and so the power is dispersed, not concentrated on one main family.

I would be lost on a jury trying to fathom this entire milieu. It’s like a foreign country to me. Even the mannerisms and the “Pau-Pau” stuff would drive me berserk.

I would have said he was guilty due to the kennel video, and the endless trail of lies AM had spouted, certainly; but all the rest of it would be fairly incomprehensible as it’s so unfamiliar.

I got the shakes when sitting on my couch as soon as DH started pointing that rifle around. Not used to seeing guns!

I would never have heard of a Murdaugh dynasty without this case, because they were big fish, yes, but in a small pond.

Now IMO for a REAL dynasty, like the Kennedys, I still think I could have served on William Kennedy Smith’s jury even though I’m certainly not in their mileu, either. But that case was a rape case, “he said, she said,” and I could have understood the evidence there.

Of course William Kennedy Smith was found not guilty in 75 minutes, though, and the case was notorious due to who he was. But fortunately, the victim was alive and at least had the opportunity to go to court against her (alleged) attacker.

Jmo

Last edited:
Initially I think yes...Owens was definitely onto AM but the feeling seemed to be that they were extending "professional courtesies" to AM based on past relationships....a high number of powerful attorneys at the crime scene etc. But they took their time really acting on it. Letting them all gather in the house which should have been sealed off etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member