GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes I heard <mod note - his name is Harpootlian> clearly indicate he would be handling the appeal...probably JG too although he looked like he was done with this case.
I think what DH said was that they would be filing the Notice of Intent to Appeal, which has to be done within 10 days of the trial. And then there's more paperwork that needs to be filed within 30 days.

In any case, it would be a bad look if a defense attorney said they wouldn't be representing their client in the future during the post-trial press conference. Probably better just to make the usual statements of full-throated support: "The evidence wasn't sufficient to convict", "The judge made errors in his rulings", "We're taking this to the Supreme Court", and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
'bout sums it up! I love knowing Mr. Beach was present for sentencing. He saw justice served for his lovely daughter, Mallory.

I gave JMM the benefit of the doubt while on the witness stand. Paul wanted to manage Moselle one day. He was 22yo Paul's boss at his retail farm equipment store (wonder if business has dropped off?). JMM helped Paul get out of trouble for the truck-in-a-ditch accident which kept the youngest son from being arrested DUI. I think he loved Paul in the way that a Murdaugh loves anyone. It appears the Murdaugh family member needed a fixer and JMM obliged.

It was when noticing the staging at Moselle, that could have only be done by JMM since he's property manager, that it was suspected he carried the bad seed gene, too. I didn't mind seeing Maggie's bicycle. It showed that she once lived at Moselle, at least, part time. Bubba's chicken toy was in poor taste but didn't offend.

It was the man's shirt hanging in the window that pushed the red alert button. JMM was flagrantly displaying for the benefit to the jury AMs shirt that SLED never asked AM for - the shirt AM was wearing in the bent tree video where Paul's heard laughing.

(If that was not AM's ghostly shirt (as someone called it) from June 8, my apologies for the error.) JMOO

Oohhh, sounds like a true Southern Gothic ghost story!

Yes, and no doubt the memory of Alex and Maggie crossing the police crime scene tape at the boating accident scene, while police held the Beach family back, probably made Mr. Beach feel vindicated. Alex can never cross crime scene tape again.

Nothing, in death or in prison, can replace his beautiful child, Mallory. Perhaps if the Murdaugh's had not given Paul carte blanche over illegally consuming beers from the stocked frig at Moselle, or consuming underage drinking while cruising or fishing on AMs boat, then PM would have acted more cautiously that fateful night. Alex detested what became of Paul's reputation in local society following the boating crash.
bbm

I believe it was Alex's father and Maggie who crossed the crime scene tape. Not that it really matters. Any Murdaugh being allowed under the crime scene tape was justifiably offensive to the Beach family.

Last night JG said AM will do ‘real well’ in prison. I don’t know what his purpose was for saying that. He said “he’s a good attorney, he’s very friendly, makes friends with anyone easily and he’s a big guy.

Yikes.... a big guy??????? Is he saying he can fend off any amorous advances???? I dont think your size has any bearing on a "love" ambush or a wacko who wants to kill you in prison to make a name for himself....
ridiculous comment, right?....dahmer wasnt a little guy. he didnt make it..one attempt failed, second one he didnt make it. and many more not so 'infamous'.

I don't know, prison is a different place. AM better adjust himself to the lifestyle. He will need to find his "group" right away. And not act like he is better than anyone else, or he won't find a "group". And if you don't get in your group, you are out of luck.

My personal opinion is that he will have a lot of lessons to learn. I think that up to this point, he thought he would beat this. Even here on WS, we weren't sure about the verdict.

AM better watch himself. No one has much use for an attorney who couldn't get himself off. JMO.
I'm well aware that prisons are different from the outside world.

Yes, he will need to find his group (I guess I didn't state it well). The prison administration knows this too.

Of course he has lots of lessons to learn, but he'll still keep using the toolkit he's already built in his own head. There will not be big leaps in therapeutic restructuring of his personality - he will use his money and his lawyering to fixate on one group (it'll be interesting to see which one it is - probably possible to find out if one really wants to).

I disagree about prisoners having no use for a crooked attorney, even if he failed to get off on his own charges. The basic stuff that prisoners want to know and the reassurance and advice they seek from anyone who seems to have any knowledge about the law is pretty large. Both the pool of info seekers and the introductory nature of what they want to know are large.

Many prisoners do not have a high school diploma, much less a post-graduate degree. IME inside jails and prisons, prisoners will take (for their own purposes) information from nearly anyone and everyone is playing a hierarchically based game of one kind or another.

I'm just very curious about the conditions under which he'll interact with the rest of the population of that prison. It contains SC's Death Row, and the life without parole prisoners apparently are kept separately, but not too far away. It looks as if it has many ways to segregate exercise in the yard, by time and by space.

IMO.

I love this judge and I don't think he did anything wrong with his remarks. I think he was amazing, calm and measured and in full control of his court during the trial.

I did see some people in L and C chat complaining, saying it showed the judge was biased and unfair, and it hurt AM's chances for a fair trial. etc etc.....I disagree because I think the judge followed the legal precedents and was impartial in his rulings.

But some of the complaints were that the judge ,allowing in the prior bad acts , unfairly prejudiced the jury against the defendant.
Any prejudices the jury had about AM were totally confirmed by AM.

There seems to have been a lot of rumblings about the juror who was replaced on the last day, that she was possibly a hold out for AM, and all it would have taken for a mistrial was one juror.

I see that as a possible opportunity for appeal.

She clearly violated the rules by speaking to not one, not two, but three people about the trial. Somehow the other 11 jurors were able to follow the rules and keep their mouths shut. She is lucky she was let go so "gently" by Judge Newman, and not charged with contempt of court, especially considering how many jurors had already been lost. Her carelessness could have caused a mistrial.

I'm well aware that prisons are different from the outside world.

Yes, he will need to find his group (I guess I didn't state it well). The prison administration knows this too.

Of course he has lots of lessons to learn, but he'll still keep using the toolkit he's already built in his own head. There will not be big leaps in therapeutic restructuring of his personality - he will use his money and his lawyering to fixate on one group (it'll be interesting to see which one it is - probably possible to find out if one really wants to).

I disagree about prisoners having no use for a crooked attorney, even if he failed to get off on his own charges. The basic stuff that prisoners want to know and the reassurance and advice they seek from anyone who seems to have any knowledge about the law is pretty large. Both the pool of info seekers and the introductory nature of what they want to know are large.

Many prisoners do not have a high school diploma, much less a post-graduate degree. IME inside jails and prisons, prisoners will take (for their own purposes) information from nearly anyone and everyone is playing a hierarchically based game of one kind or another.

I'm just very curious about the conditions under which he'll interact with the rest of the population of that prison. It contains SC's Death Row, and the life without parole prisoners apparently are kept separately, but not too far away. It looks as if it has many ways to segregate exercise in the yard, by time and by space.

IMO.

If he stays at the Kirkland population itself then the case of Denver Simmons is a good quick look at life in there and just how violent some of the people are.

She clearly violated the rules by speaking to not one, not two, but three people about the trial. Somehow the other 11 jurors were able to follow the rules and keep their mouths shut. She is lucky she was let go so "gently" by Judge Newman, and not charged with contempt of court, especially considering how many jurors had already been lost. Her carelessness could have caused a mistrial.
I don't believe it was as detrimental as that.

Newman said. "I'm not suggesting that you intentionally did anything wrong, but that in order to preserve the integrity of the process and in fairness to all the parties involved, we're going to replace you with one of the other jurors."

I thought the defense team strongly implied that they would be handling the appeal.

Where I live, it's common enough for the original private attorney to handle appeals. Really rich people do hire specialized appeals firms. I worked for 20 years at a law firm that handled all its client appeals in-house. And won several big ones. Not a criminal law firm, though (for the most part). I suspect that Alec insisted on part of his retainer ($2.2M?) included appeals. It'll likely be one of the most detailed appeals filings we'll see this decade.

IMO.
I will be surprised if they do. But I definitely could be wrong!

If he stays at the Kirkland population itself then the case of Denver Simmons is a good quick look at life in there and just how violent some of the people are.

That's why it's interesting to think about whether he will be anywhere near the general population or ever allowed much time in the yard with anyone other than a handful of other, similar criminals (police officers, lawyers, other professionals who are in for life).

Simmons wanted the death penalty. And it's always possible to run into such a person. Simmons likely chose victims who otherwise made him angry (I almost typed an advertiser censored word). Alec needs to use those amazing personal skills his brother says he has. (Whole family seems deluded - and it wouldn't be the first time).

IMO. I'm not saying he's not at risk, I'm just saying that it's not typical for inmates to be killed for other inmates. It happens, it makes the news. There are what, 8000 prisoners in that complex?

imo

Question for anyone who knows a lot of details about this case.

Did any law enforcement search Alex's vehicle after the murders? Did any police conduct any tests for blood or hair residue in his vehicle at anytime, even months later when he was charged?

What Newman said felt like "I'm ashamed of you, son" in the most effective way.

That’s a tough thing for a grown man to hear but he deserved it. And he didn’t blink an eye. I thought we might see his eyes really watering but nothing.

It’s shocking to me that he said ‘Pau Pau’ in his last statement. If he only knew how the internet masses felt about that he may have said ‘Paul’ but no he lied and tried to con people in his final statement to the court.

Personally I would never use my child’s or spouse’s pet or nicknames in court even if I was trying to allude to a close family. It would be whatever is on their formal identification. It made AM look not only fake but also lacking in social awareness.

No other defence witness used it but it was comical to see Waters use it:

“Ok and then what did you and Pau Pau do next? That’s what you call him right, Pau Pau’???? Do I have that right???? Pau Pau?????

Waters emphasized it to show he wasn’t buying it. I’m paraphrasing but it was a marked CW moment.

DH said he knew Newman wasn’t going to be on the low end side of time served for AM because he is known for not being conservative in sentencing. DH said that was another reason he didn’t want the other crimes brought in because of Newmans strong punitive stance.
Excuses! Excuses!
The evidence pointing to AM being the one and only shooter was overwhelming and obvious, and imoo, insurmountable

Prosecution was allowed to delve into Alex's other crimes, financial, being one area, but not to prove motive, although it probably did, but to show AM's character as being a lying, thieving, betraying flim flam man.

Paul's video convicted Alex because of his big lie about not being present at the kennels at the time of the murders (TOD) along with having the means, motive and opportunity + his post-shooting behaviors.

The forensic evidence proved how horrendously evil the shooting deaths were for these two victims, unbeknownst to them at the time. Paul was standing midway in the 10' feed room when Alex shoved his shotgun, loaded with birdshot pellets, through the door. Blasted, ejected his son's brains onto the ceiling after the gunshot that left stippling.

Tracked a moving Maggie, as she sought her baby boy. Used an Assault Rifle, with a red laser dot attached, shooting first with non fatal yet agonizing, penetrating shots. All the while, Maggie knew Alex had just shot their youngest child in front of her own eyes in cold blood.

That's why this jury convicted Alexander Murdaugh, Senator Harpootlian. That's why Judge Newman imposed the stiffest punishments to run consecutively and that was the cherry on top for Lady Justice.

Little bird said Harpootlian's wife's appointed Ambassador to Slovenia by the President.

#MurdaughSentencedToLWOPX2 All jmhoo

I will be surprised if they do. But I definitely could be wrong!

I'll be surprised if they do because I think there's not enough money for it. But not because they were his lawyers already - I do believe they're the only people who could gather (quickly and cheaply) the various facts for the appeal (and the documents are needed within 30 days). I can think of 5-6 major ways that they will appeal (anyone can appeal and use any cause for appeal that they wish - defense attorneys yesterday signaled at least a few of them).

I think they're going to try and make a laundry list. None will ever make it past the SC Supreme Court, IMO. But I'm a betting person.

IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member