GUILTY SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMM really irritates me...of course I don't know him personally but I think of the remaining family he is the most like AM...going up to him in my opinion is really inappropriate and good for Mallory's father. He knows first hand the workings of the Murdaugh clan and it must have been good to be able to see the dynasty end in that courtroom.
'bout sums it up! I love knowing Mr. Beach was present for sentencing. He saw justice served for his lovely daughter, Mallory.

I gave JMM the benefit of the doubt while on the witness stand. Paul wanted to manage Moselle one day. He was 22yo Paul's boss at his retail farm equipment store (wonder if business has dropped off?). JMM helped Paul get out of trouble for the truck-in-a-ditch accident which kept the youngest son from being arrested DUI. I think he loved Paul in the way that a Murdaugh loves anyone. It appears the Murdaugh family member needed a fixer and JMM obliged.

It was when noticing the staging at Moselle, that could have only be done by JMM since he's property manager, that it was suspected he carried the bad seed gene, too. I didn't mind seeing Maggie's bicycle. It showed that she once lived at Moselle, at least, part time. Bubba's chicken toy was in poor taste but didn't offend.

It was the man's shirt hanging in the window that pushed the red alert button. JMM was flagrantly displaying for the benefit to the jury AMs shirt that SLED never asked AM for - the shirt AM was wearing in the bent tree video where Paul's heard laughing.

(If that was not AM's ghostly shirt (as someone called it) from June 8, my apologies for the error.) JMOO

Not to belabor the point, BUT, The trial never went into where he was able to obtain 50k of oxy a week, how he got them, from whom, if they were being filled by pharmacies (impossible) or black market, etc. Here's my thought...NO ONE WANTED TO GO THERE. Drug cartels have infiltrated every edge of society, government, LE, schools, etc. Payoffs of people are made for silence. Could these murders have been done by drug runners as a warning to AM? Pay us..you are behind...Pay LE, they are closing in on us? They didnt kill AM, he was their best customer or whatever his role was? The real story here is the drugs. Just my opinion. DID AM kill his wife and son? Probably...however, no fingerprints, DNA, blood, unsecured murder scene....Perhaps AM couldnt say he thought the crimes were committed by drug runners and blamed the case against Paul and the boat wreck as a revenge killing? Yeah, he was at the kennels...he lied....If he wasnt the shooter, he has a damn good idea who it was IMO and he and the prosecution and the defense never ever went to the drug connection as a motive..dangerous water to stick their toes in....Totally my imagination here but worthy of consideration...You dont spend millions on drugs and no one asks where he got them? Preposterous...MOO
To everything there is a season..and a time for every purpose..IMO this trial was not the time to bring out any in depth drug related issues. IMO that time is coming. Your questions and theories are valid and hopefully will be answered to everyone's satisfaction when the trial on these charges happens Alex Murdaugh charged in money laundering and drug scheme . There may be something arising in that trial that exonerates AM and may be not, we'll all just have to wait and see.
MOO

I do think he's the typical antisocial type, though. He knows how to barter his legal services and how to get some men to see themselves as "under him." He is superficially charming and knows how to be affable. He will have as much commissary money as the place allows (they should limit him, IMO).

Has anyone been Dahmered at Kirkland, I wonder? Seems to me as if they'd be set up to keep Alec in his own cell and have him in the exercise yard with a small number of other at risk prisoners. He'd still be able to talk to others in nearby cells in most prisons (complete solitary is considered inhumane unless the prisoner is repeatedly a danger to others - unless that's how he wants it, I suppose).

Dahmer had severe mental health problems, putting him at risk both for knowing when to avoid/back down from others and for doing any number of things (saying/doing) that others would find intolerable.

Alec is an affable Southern gentleman with years and years of conning others and using his façade. I'm not too worried about him. He probably wants to be part of a prison gang, IMO.

All opinion.

I don't know, prison is a different place. AM better adjust himself to the lifestyle. He will need to find his "group" right away. And not act like he is better than anyone else, or he won't find a "group". And if you don't get in your group, you are out of luck.

My personal opinion is that he will have a lot of lessons to learn. I think that up to this point, he thought he would beat this. Even here on WS, we weren't sure about the verdict.

AM better watch himself. No one has much use for an attorney who couldn't get himself off. JMO.

@turaj Where was it reported that Maggie’s sister doesn’t think AM murdered them? Would love to see that source. TIA.
I have read so much...I can't quote a site where I read it. From my impressions of her on the stand I can see her struggle. She wants to remain in BM's life and she said not a word about AM. But at this point I assume she realizes he did it. Sorry I can't quote a source. I think right after this her family was on team Alex and it took time if they have changed. I think her sister knows much more about their relationship...just a feeling I get.

Appeals are usually not handled by the trial lawyers. You want a fresh set of eyes to handle it and there is always the (remote) possibility that you can argue ineffective assistance of counsel. JMO.

I thought the defense team strongly implied that they would be handling the appeal.

Where I live, it's common enough for the original private attorney to handle appeals. Really rich people do hire specialized appeals firms. I worked for 20 years at a law firm that handled all its client appeals in-house. And won several big ones. Not a criminal law firm, though (for the most part). I suspect that Alec insisted on part of his retainer ($2.2M?) included appeals. It'll likely be one of the most detailed appeals filings we'll see this decade.

IMO.

I don't know, prison is a different place. AM better adjust himself to the lifestyle. He will need to find his "group" right away. And not act like he is better than anyone else, or he won't find a "group". And if you don't get in your group, you are out of luck.

My personal opinion is that he will have a lot of lessons to learn. I think that up to this point, he thought he would beat this. Even here on WS, we weren't sure about the verdict.

AM better watch himself. No one has much use for an attorney who couldn't get himself off. JMO.
somehow I think he had a better chance not taking the stand. I did hear that the jury selection process which was quite quick for such a major case did not involve each side questioning the jury. That would have happened if they went for DP. All this would have taken is one juror that maybe went in sympathetic or even connected with the family to vote ng and this would be over. The jury was the right one for the state but I think much of that was luck. We don't know about all of the alternates that got sick etc. Justice was served.

From the most recent interview with the 2nd juror to speak, I think we see a strong base to deny an appeal on saying the 404 info was prejudicial:

James said that the prosecution's argument that there was a "perfect storm" gathering, and Murdaugh was on cusp of a devastating financial reckoning was a good theme – but wasn't a persuasive motive.

"I don't think I'd ever be able to answer why somebody would do something like that," he said. "But I know that there are people in the world that don't make sense, and they do things without making it make sense. So I don't know that there is an answer other than that it happened and that it shouldn't have."

He noted that prosecutors didn't have to prove motive – and it was the actual evidence that sealed Murdaugh's fate.

Same! And with our petrol average at $4.99/gal - easy peasy credible.

We have that same weirdness going on right in my home town - that's street level dealer stuff.

I was recently told by a LEO (friend) that all of the people near my house who stand with cardboard signs and beg on the median strips at stoplights are working for drugs. He told me specifically how to look for the actual middle man, who would be parked nearby, watching. They keep track of how much the "beggars" get and as soon as it's enough for a purchase, the beggar knows to go find the dealer amidst other cars in a big parking lot, to get their fix.

These middle men actually know which intersections are most "profitable" (people are the most kind and generous) and have the signs already to go.

IME.

I would be very uncomfortable to be in a room with this man. His eyes display some aspect of...pride? And the mild-seeming smile is jarring next to those eyes.

Waters did talk about how Alex would try to stare him down in the courtroom when he walked by, letting him see "the real Alex Murdaugh."

I thought the defense team strongly implied that they would be handling the appeal.

Where I live, it's common enough for the original private attorney to handle appeals. Really rich people do hire specialized appeals firms. I worked for 20 years at a law firm that handled all its client appeals in-house. And won several big ones. Not a criminal law firm, though (for the most part). I suspect that Alec insisted on part of his retainer ($2.2M?) included appeals. It'll likely be one of the most detailed appeals filings we'll see this decade.

IMO.
yes I heard defense atty clearly indicate he would be handling the appeal...probably JG too although he looked like he was done with this case.

Last edited:
From the most recent interview with the 2nd juror to speak, I think we see a strong base to deny an appeal on saying the 404 info was prejudicial:

James said that the prosecution's argument that there was a "perfect storm" gathering, and Murdaugh was on cusp of a devastating financial reckoning was a good theme – but wasn't a persuasive motive.

"I don't think I'd ever be able to answer why somebody would do something like that," he said. "But I know that there are people in the world that don't make sense, and they do things without making it make sense. So I don't know that there is an answer other than that it happened and that it shouldn't have."

He noted that prosecutors didn't have to prove motive – and it was the actual evidence that sealed Murdaugh's fate.

Prosecution is allowed to present a motive even if jurors don't find it convincing.

QUESTION....APART from the one juror early on have any more come forward? I am sure media has been trying and I find it interesting to know that so many of them came for the verdict. I know I would after all of that. It is relatively easy for them to speak as they reflected what seems to be the will of the community they live in...but would understand having some fears of the remnants of the Murdaugh Machine in that area.

If OP means 'so many [jurors] came for the sentencing,' A/G Wilson confirmed in one of his interviews that every juror returned to the courthouse on Friday to witness AM being sentenced.

This was revealed when A/G Wilson asked whether or not he had spoken to the jurors.

somehow I think he had a better chance not taking the stand. I did hear that the jury selection process which was quite quick for such a major case did not involve each side questioning the jury. That would have happened if they went for DP. All this would have taken is one juror that maybe went in sympathetic or even connected with the family to vote ng and this would be over. The jury was the right one for the state but I think much of that was luck. We don't know about all of the alternates that got sick etc. Justice was served.

There seems to have been a lot of rumblings about the juror who was replaced on the last day, that she was possibly a hold out for AM, and all it would have taken for a mistrial was one juror.

I see that as a possible opportunity for appeal.

Good for him, the attempted manipulating of witnesses, the refusal to acknowledge Pauls roll in her death, the running theme of never being accountable, I would not have anything to say either, well not anything nice. He handled it perfectly moo
Yes, and no doubt the memory of Alex and Maggie crossing the police crime scene tape at the boating accident scene, while police held the Beach family back, probably made Mr. Beach feel vindicated. Alex can never cross crime scene tape again.

Nothing, in death or in prison, can replace his beautiful child, Mallory. Perhaps if the Murdaugh's had not given Paul carte blanche over illegally consuming beers from the stocked frig at Moselle, or consuming underage drinking while cruising or fishing on AMs boat, then PM would have acted more cautiously that fateful night. Alex detested what became of Paul's reputation in local society following the boating crash.

There seems to have been a lot of rumblings about the juror who was replaced on the last day, that she was possibly a hold out for AM, and all it would have taken for a mistrial was one juror.

I see that as a possible opportunity for appeal.

and other "rumblings" that she indicated to multiple people they were "all on the same page" so no way to really know. It definitely does not sound like there was any interpersonal conflicts....ie got along for the most part. In an interview I think it was <mod note - his name is Harpootlian> that indicated they would be digging into any chance of juror misconduct. I think they know chance of any success with an appeal are slim unless they can uncover juror misconduct. I hope that does not get ugly but I won't rule out anything here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and no doubt the memory of Alex and Maggie crossing the police crime scene tape at the boating accident scene, while police held the Beach family back, probably made Mr. Beach feel vindicated. Alex can never cross crime scene tape again.

Nothing, in death or in prison, can replace his beautiful child, Mallory. Perhaps if the Murdaugh's had not given Paul carte blanche over illegally consuming beers from the stocked frig at Moselle, or consuming underage drinking while cruising or fishing on AMs boat, then PM would have acted more cautiously that fateful night. Alex detested what became of Paul's reputation in local society following the boating crash.
i think that boat crash was a major component in AM's world collapsing around him. His attempts to connect that to these murders was really another low point in his miserable life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heypig06