SC - Paul Murdaugh & mom Margaret Found Shot To Death - Alex Murdaugh Accused - Islandton *Guilty* #43

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the money didn't go entirely.to drugs - but I contend it WAS primarily lifestyle. A massive hunting property, the beach house, boat, law school and all associated living expenses for Buster, multiple high-end vehicles, travel via private jet and on and on and on.
i've said this before, but I believe a lot of the money was lost in bad business deals. There have been some hints that AM was doing a lot of real estate investing just prior to the 2008-9 recession which wiped out a lot of highly leveraged speculators. Alex was stealing even before the financial crisis, but from what I've been able to piece together it sure seemed like the theft and fraud ramped up in the aftermath.

I was looking forward to the financial crimes trial as it would shed some light on what exactly happened, but I guess we may never know now.

Last edited:
No one should be surprised by today’s plea deal for #AlexMurdaugh’s on the financial crimes.

1- He already pleaded to the same crimes in federal court.

2- because of this, and his admission that he stole the money, going through a trial is unnecessary and a waste of tax $$ (cont)

3- He was clearly guilty of the financial crimes and admitted to them during the murder trial- although that testimony couldn’t be used against him in the $$$ cases

4- AM has been cooperating with the feds for some time- from what we have heard (cont)

5- if you look at it from AM’s vantage point- fighting for a new murder trial is the bigger fight

6-for the state, AM tells them what he did and how he did it. (Could more $$$ be recovered? Just a thought)

7- another thought: one of the cases involved allegations of drug trafficking. What does #AlexMurdaugh know about that in SC, and is he handing over valuable info about the drug trade?

7:14 PM · Nov 17, 2023

“Attorneys Eric Bland and Ronnie Richter, who represent some of Murdaugh’s victims, issued a statement that called Murdaugh a “monster” and said in part, “Justice was served in this case. Sentencing for this play of guilt will be in the near future. Alex’s victims will get a chance to look Alex Murdaugh in the eye and his lawyers and tell them how they feel about him, how he manipulated them, and the damage that they have done to them in their lives.”

27 years for that? Wow…… with 100 possible? I think I agree with pleas for a ‘thumbs down’ emoji on this forum.

And as others posited, revealing where all the money went and is should be part of any deal. Sort of like a convicted killer leading investigators to the body (or bodies) of their victims.

Makes one wonder if that disclosure is not part of the agreement, might some not want others to know where it is or all went?
MOO
As it seems others of you are wondering about this, too, I don’t understand the state’s agreeing to 27 yrs when AM pleaded to crimes that amounted to potentially hundreds of years.

Wasn’t part of the state’s goal to make sure he had a length of sentences on the financial crimes that would prevent him from ever leaving jail should he somehow get out of the life sentences through a successful appeal?

Over the last six months, I kept hearing he was going to get another life sentence for the financial crimes.

Just ask’n.

As it seems others of you are wondering about this, too, I don’t understand the state’s agreeing to 27 yrs when AM pleaded to crimes that amounted to potentially hundreds of years.

Wasn’t part of the state’s goal to make sure he had a length of sentences on the financial crimes that would prevent him from ever leaving jail should he somehow get out of the life sentences through a successful appeal?

Over the last six months, I kept hearing he was going to get another life sentence for the financial crimes.

Just ask’n.
27 years is a life sentence because it takes him to age 81, but I see your point.

Plea deals always involve give and take. For example:

Prosecution:
"You give us something and spare us a trial and we will give you something in return."

Defense:
"Our defendant will change his plea from not guilty to guilty." "Now what is your offer to us?"

Prosecution:
"27 years instead of another life sentence."

Defense:
"Ok, we won't go to trial, please send us the papers for our defendant to sign stating your deal."

You see Alex had no incentive to change his plea to guilty without getting something in return. It always works this way. Another thing, Alex gives up his right to appeal by pleading guilty. That gives finality to the case.

Plea bargains are agreements between defendants and prosecutors in which defendants agree to plead guilty to some or all of the charges against them in exchange for concessions from the prosecutors.

27 years is a life sentence because it takes him to age 81, but I see your point.

Plea deals always involve give and take. For example:

Prosecution:
"You give us something and spare us a trial and we will give you something in return."

Defense:
"Our defendant will change his plea from not guilty to guilty." "Now what is your offer to us?"

Prosecution:
"27 years instead of another life sentence."

Defense:
"Ok, we won't go to trial, please send us the papers for our defendant to sign stating your deal."

You see Alex had no incentive to change his plea to guilty without getting something in return. It always works this way. Another thing, Alex gives up his right to appeal by pleading guilty. That gives finality to the case.

Plea bargains are agreements between defendants and prosecutors in which defendants agree to plead guilty to some or all of the charges against them in exchange for concessions from the prosecutors.

@Cool Cats, thanks for all this. This makes me uncomfortable since it seems like too a huge concession (especially because if life terms got overturned, he only has to serve 85% of 27), but I trust the AG’s office to know what they are doing.

@Cool Cats, thanks for all this. This makes me uncomfortable since it seems like too a huge concession (especially because if life terms got overturned, he only has to serve 85% of 27), but I trust the AG’s office to know what they are doing.

No prob LS

Are there reasons his sentences might be overturned on appeal? This extremely rarely happens and he wasn't wrongfully convicted, like the innocence project sometimes uncovers.

He got good counsel and there were no court errors by the judge.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

#AlexMurdaugh was convicted.

Was he convicted because jurors were worried about smoke breaks or because some may have heard the clerk say something derogatory of AM's credibility?

That all still has to play out but I think not. Many watched that trial.

Many heard him on #Paul's cell recording minutes before the murders yet, AM said he hadn't seen Paul or Maggie since supper earlier that night.

He used the same guns and ammunition the family owned...

He hid them.

He asked Shelly, the caregiver, to say he was with her for longer than he was to help provide an alibi.

He changed his clothes for heaven's sake.

Everything he told investigators was a lie.

He is a Family Annihilator whose whole world was crashing in and he was going to take them down with him.

Yes, AM is taking responsible for his financial crimes.

A shame he won't honor Paul and Maggie and take responsibility for their murders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member