GUILTY SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@StephenFastenau
6m
Dove says after Josephson’s phone initially turned off in Rosewood area about 2:30 a.m., it turned back on in downtown area later that morning and traveled out to Monticello Road and later Leesburg Road. Store where the owner said Rowland tried to sell him phone is on Monticello.

Sounds odd, but I keep wondering what happened to that other earring. Is it still lodged somewhere in back seat of vehicle.? Is it covered in the ground somewhere near where Samantha was found? Will someone find it someday?
Maybe the baby ate it.

2 weeks before his iPhone called his Ocotel phone at 3 something in the morning?

Redirect clearing this up…some people call their other phone to check messages.

Done for the day, back at 9:30 tomorrow

Judge calls for a few minute "stretch break". Everyone stands and stretches in place. I love these.
I've never seen a "stretch break" in court before, but it's a great idea! How many of us -- probably not as jurors! -- have been in a meeting, in class, at church-temple-mosque,whatever -- have wanted to do just that -- stretch your legs, move your back or shoulders around a bit, take a deep breath, etc.
Small gestures can go a long way, can't they?!

I was just going to post this…

So am I hearing this correctly…at 4 something in the morning after NR supposedly murdered her, dumped her body out in the country, then came back and searched for the latest *advertiser censored*?
I once followed a UK case and the perp did the same thing after strangling his victim. He was into *advertiser censored* depicting strangulation. He'd also hired a sex worker during a recent trip to the US and she alleged he also wanted to choke her during sex.

ETA: I'm curious if this was violent *advertiser censored* he was watching?

Last edited:
I've been sidetracked today. What did we learn from all the cellphones in a nutshell?

This defendant certainly has family members who support his claims of innocence. If the motive was robbery, I wonder why he didn’t ask a family member if they could loan him money? How could anyone think he is innocent after seeing the evidence the state has?

I also think if he had not been caught, there would have been other victims. He appears to have no soul.

This defendant certainly has family members who support his claims of innocence. If the motive was robbery, I wonder why he didn’t ask a family member if they could loan him money? How could anyone think he is innocent after seeing the evidence the state has?

I also think if he had not been caught, there would have been other victims. He appears to have no soul.

Just as the girlfriend didn't turn him in, if somebody borrowed your car and returned it drenched in blood how would not not turn on them in a heartbeat? I don't understand a lifestyle that supports that mindset.

Just as the girlfriend didn't turn him in, if somebody borrowed your car and returned it drenched in blood how would not not turn on them in a heartbeat? I don't understand a lifestyle that supports that mindset.
I don't understand it, either. <shiver>
Maybe some of his friends were afraid of him...
Maybe he was just plain mean to everyone.

JUL 22, 2021
Samantha Josephson's DNA found in suspect's car, SLED testifies | wltx.com
[...]

One of the key people who testified was South Carolina Law Enforcement Division investigator Delilah Cirencione. She went through evidence recovered from Rowland's car as well as the trash from the home of Maria Howard. Howard is the friend of Rowland who said she saw him cleaning out his car at her house the day after the killing. She also said she saw blood in that vehicle.

[...]

Officers showed the jury a multi-tool was found in a the trashcan that SLED says they observed both suspected blood and hair on when they found it. The item has two sharp prongs on it.

A bed sheet was recovered from the trash can behind Howard's house that had both blood stains and cleaning stains, according to Cirencione. A matching pillow case was also found in the upstairs closet with blood stains.

[...]

Another piece of evidence showed a pair of children's shoes that were found in a closet inside the home. The pink shoes have what looks to be blood on the bottom. They're believed to be of Howard's daughter, who rode in Rowland's car less than a day after the killing.

[...]

JUL 22, 2021
Rowland Trial Day 3: Gruesome evidence from night Samantha Josephson died presented (wistv.com)
[...]

Investigator Dawn Claycomb stood up from the stand and pulled Josephson’s clothing out of a brown paper bag.

[...]

The investigator then pulled Josephson’s shirt out of the evidence bag and held it up. There was so much blood on the shirt the investigator said they could not tell its original color.

Claycomb also held up the wedge sandals Josephson was wearing that night, saying the shoes weren’t on her feet, only held on by the ankle strap. Those shoes were also soaked in blood.

[...]

SLED agent Delila Jazic testified that she obtained a search warrant for Maria Howard’s home. Howard was Rowland’s girlfriend at the time of the Josephson’s murder.

[...]

SLED agent Britt Dove also took the stand. He’s a phone expert who showed where Josephson’s phone pinged the night she disappeared. He also read off a few texts from Howard’s phone to Rowland.

She was texting him that her daughter’s shoe had blood on it after they both rode in his car on the day Josephson disappeared.

[...]

The state also called Jack Jamison to testify. He’s a handwriting expert who works with SLED.

... Investigators got a sample of the suspect’s handwriting from an employee application with FedEx.

On that list, Jamison said, was, “‘Duck’ tape, tape her whole body, gloves, all black, flip phone, gasoline, matches -- crossed out line of matches.”

[...]

Osharmar Williams, owner of Cellular City, also took the stand Thursday.

He testified that Rowland came into his shop the morning that Josephson was reported missing and tried to sell her cellphone.

[...]

Court adjourned for the night around 5:45 p.m. Testimony continues at 9:30 a.m. Friday.

That too is very odd to say the least. I would have exited that vehicle in no time flat.

I agree with the commentator on Court TV.
He said in his entire career as a defense lawyer, he has never seen so much evidence against a defendant ...and he wonders if it will only take the jury 20 -30 minutes to come back with a Guilty.

MOO

I cannot even understand why this went to trial. A plea deal would have served him better.
The doubters who say somebody took his car and committed the crime are deluding themselves. That would require us to believe the real killer returned NR’s car awash in blood and told him “I killed somebody in your car and drove them out to Clarendon County near where you grew up and left them there. Sorry about all the blood, guess you’ll need to clean that up but here’s her cell phone, maybe you can sell it and make a few bucks. Oh, and don’t tell anybody I did it, just take the fall for me in this capital murder case. Thanks! Bye! See ya!”
I just don’t see it.

Friday, July 23rd:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (@ 9:30am ET) - SC - Samantha "Sami" Josephson (21) (last seen on video March 29, 2019 @ ~1:30am, Columbia, found Friday (3/29/21) afternoon in a rural area by turkey hunters in a field near a wooded area about 40 feet off a dirt road along Black Bottom Road close to the town of New Zion in Clarendon County) - *Nathaniel David Rowland (24/now 27) arrested & charged (3/30/19) & indicted (4/18/19) with murder, kidnapping, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, refusal to stop for police command, & possession of 28g or less of marijuana. Plead not guilty. Bond denied.
Trial began 7/19/21 with jury selection & ended 7/20/21. Trial started on 7/20/21. Jury is 7 women & 5 men & Alternates: 3 women & 1 man. 10 women & 6 men (8 people are Black, 2 people are Hispanic, 1 person is Indian & 5 people are white).
Case & court info from 3/30/19 thru 4/20/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-2) 7/19-7/20/21 & Trial (Day 1-2) 7/20/21 -7/21/21 reference post #559 here:
Found Deceased - SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

7/22/21 Thursday, Trial Day 3: State witnesses: Lt. Todd Schenk with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) continued his testimony. Oshamar Williams, owner of Cellular City cell phone repair-Rowland tried to sell Samantha's cell phone. Surveillance video shown. SLED investigator Delilah Cirencione-processed crime scene; described finding bags of trash containing sheets & towels with what appeared to be blood in the trash can on the back porch of the apartment of Maria Howard, Rowland’s then-girlfriend. She also processed Rowland after his arrest & his black Impala. Also processed Maria Howard's duplex. Jack Jamieson, SLED, document examiner. Michael Moskall, SLED, trace evidence. Dawn Claycomb, currently at Duke Energy, was with SLED, crime scene investigator. Lt. Britt Dove, SLED investigator, in charge of computer crimes, digital forensics. He collected four phones to analyze. Trial continues at 9:30am on 7/23/21.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back