GUILTY SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Per Court TV: jury panel without alternates will have 7 women and 5 men. 6 Caucasian, 6 AA. They can work as late as they want, even to midnight, up to them. Closings will be about 1 hour each followed by jury instructions.

Doesn't surprise me that they're not calling any. How could they really refute the state's evidence. In closing the Defense will say someone else was driving the Impala, hoping beyond hope, one juror might hold out.

I don't think it will happen. I feel good about the State's case and the tons of evidence.

Thanks for all the updates everyone.

#Justice4Sami

That’s a really good point. In closing arguments the defense can spin whatever tale they want to without having to present any evidence to back it up. Pathetic, but allowed.

One of the chilling things I noticed on the videos tracking was that the female who got into a car just before Samantha tried to get into the silver car had almost gotten into the wrong car herself. She opened the door but apparently realized it was not her ride. Several guys were also seen going up to a car and apparently realizing it was not their ride.

One of the chilling things I noticed on the videos tracking was that the female who got into a car just before Samantha tried to get into the silver car had almost gotten into the wrong car herself. She opened the door but apparently realized it was not her ride. Several guys were also seen going up to a car and apparently realizing it was not their ride.
It's amazing how well lit and populated area was at that time, I'm sure Sami wasn't the least bit worried. It's a very busy and well known hang out spot among college students.

JUL 26, 2021
Samantha Josephson killing: Day 6 of trial of accused killer | wltx.com
[...]

Thomas Beaver, Forensic Pathologist

[...]

Beaver’s testimony went to the condition of Samantha Josephson’s body and his autopsy results. The doctor stated Josephson had around 120 stab wounds to her body. He was then given a series of autopsy photographs to describe to the jury before presenting them in evidence.

In order, the photographs show:
  • Body face up on table, close-up of left side of face, cheek shows abrasions/scratches suggests probably gotten when body was dragged
  • Close-up of right side of head right forehead, eye shows “defect,” something done to the skin that is not part of normal – defects on Josephson’s head showed bruising on brow and stabbing on eyes and brow, abrasion on corner of eye, right eye collapsed, bruising or black eye. According to Beaver, evidence of hemorrhaging indicates she was alive while receiving these wounds. Wounds in the hair – behind her ear there were multiple stab wounds.
  • Top of head, right shoulder show injuries to side of neck about 3.6 cm (about 1.5 inches) deep. The effect of the depth pf the wound entering the skull and brain would be life-threatening.
[...]

During Beaver’s testimony, Rowland is seen sitting calmly, taking notes on legal pad while Beaver is on the stand.

[...]

The majority of wounds were single stab wounds – causing Beaver to initially think that two weapons were used – but on the stand, Beaver showed the multi-tool can be pulled apart to create the single stab wounds found on Josephson’s body.

Beaver was then asked about how much blood is typically found in a human body. He said a typical body holds a gallon of blood. Beaver testifies he found about 20 ml (an eighth of a cup -- about two tablespoons) in Josephson’s body, indicating she bled out.

[...]

ON CROSS

Defense attorney asked Beaver about his autopsy report – dated March 31, 2019.

Josephson’s clothing is heavily blood stained, evidence of torn fingernails, wounds on her knuckles that indicate she may have tried to fight back or defend herself. The deepest wound on Josephson’s body was 7 cm (about 2.75 inches) to her thigh. The weapon described earlier on the stand, Beaver says some wounds would be consistent with the multi-tool open, some with the multi-tool closed.

[...]

Justin A. Martin, a body cam, surveillance and video analyst.

[...]

Around 2:05 a.m., the vehicle is seen reentering traffic toward Devine and Harden, turning left onto Harden.

Samantha Josephson is captured on video standing near the corner of Natural Vibrations around 2:05 a.m.

[...]

At this time, the cameras give the clearest view of the Impala and the driver’s side seat seems to be reclined significantly.

[...]

From a different angle, video from the Bird Dog shows the same series of events -- Josephson standing outside on the corner, the Impala turning right to pass behind her and into the parking lot, Josephson trying unsuccessfully trying to enter a silver vehicle, the Impala jumping the curb and into a handicapped parking spot, Josephson entering the vehicle, the Impala backing into traffic and before heading south onto Harden Street.

The Impala then heads towards Blossom on Harden and up the street, away from Five Points and toward Rosewood Drive. This video is the last one to show Samantha Josephson alive.

GPS data on Josephson’s phone showed the car went into the Rosewood neighborhood, down South Kilbourne to Live Oak Street around 2:18 a.m. The Impala is then picked up on video at South Beltline at the Rosewood Drive intersection. The camera at Checks Plus on South Beltline shows the Impala pulling a U-turn to head back south.

GPS on Josephson’s phone indicated at around 3:20 a.m. the phone was travelling toward Sumter on Garners Ferry/378. The Impala is picked up on cameras along Garners Ferry, confirming the eastbound movement.

[...]

While going through the video, Martin testified that he could not make out the identity of the driver of the Impala, he did not see Nathaniel Rowland.

[...]

Tuesday, July 27th:
*Trial continues (Day 6)-CLOSING ARGUMENTS (@ 9:30am ET) - SC - Samantha "Sami" Josephson (21) (last seen on video March 29, 2019 @ ~1:30am, Columbia, found Friday (3/29/21) afternoon in a rural area by turkey hunters in a field near a wooded area about 40 feet off a dirt road along Black Bottom Road close to the town of New Zion in Clarendon County) - *Nathaniel David Rowland (24/now 27) arrested & charged (3/30/19) & indicted (4/18/19) with murder, kidnapping, possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, refusal to stop for police command, & possession of 28g or less of marijuana. Plead not guilty. Bond denied.
Trial began 7/19/21 with jury selection & ended 7/20/21. Trial started on 7/20/21. Jury is 7 women & 5 men & Alternates: 3 women & 1 man. 10 women & 6 men (8 people are Black, 2 people are Hispanic, 1 person is Indian & 5 people are white).
Case & court info from 3/30/19 thru 4/20/21 & Jury selection (Day 1-2) 7/19-7/20/21 & Trial (Day 1-4) 7/20/21-7/23/21 reference post #778 here:
Found Deceased - SC - Samantha Josephson, 21, Columbia, thought she was getting into Uber, 29 Mar 2019 *Arrest* #2

7/26/21 Monday, Trial Day 5: Judge Clifton Newman hearing objection before jury enters from Rowland’s attorneys over some of the photos prosecution plans to show today.
State witnesses: Dr. Thomas Beaver, forensic pathologist & MUSC professor re Samantha's autopsy. Justin A. Martin, a body cam, surveillance & video analyst. Shown in courtroom: street surveillance videos of Rowland's vehicle driving to crime scene. Camera shows Samantha entering the vehicle. Video showed the Impala going down Rosewood Drive past the Publix grocery store, heading south on Kilbourne Road & later driving north on Beltline toward Devine Street before hanging U-turn back toward the Rosewood area. That was the last video Martin had of the Impala until it could be seen traveling east on Garners Ferry Road toward Sumter after 3 a.m. Samantha’s body was found later that day in the community of New Zion, east of Sumter.
State rests their case. Jury is out of the courtroom. Defense asked for directed verdict. Judge said there is an avalanche of direct & circumstantial evidence. Denied. Judge & attorneys going over stuff.
Rowland waives his right to testify. Defense has no witnesses closing arguments are starting soon. Judge just told the jury that defense rests. Jury will return to Richland County court Tuesday, 7/27/21 morning @ 9:30am to hear closing arguments, receive instructions & begin deliberating. The jury panel without alternates will have 7 women & 5 men. 6 Caucasian & 6 AA. They can work as late as they want, even to midnight, up to them. Closings will be about 1 hour each followed by jury instructions

Thinking about the chamber of horrors that back seat became...I wonder if the child locks also contributed to the brutality of the attack... Once he was back there, with a strong, determined woman fighting with every ounce of blood to survive, he was "trapped" as well.

This case brought awareness to ride share safety. I hope it also motivates an effort to design "safer" child safety locks so adults in peril have more than a fighting chance.
IMO

How long do you think the jurors will deliberate?

I'm hoping for a verdict by end of day.

#Justice4Sami

I'll say after they have a nice lunch - verdict!! Guilty, of course....
animated-smileys-occupations-079.gif

I think I was wrong yesterday when I said the defense could spin whatever story they wanted to in closing arguments.

this is from the American Bar Association website:

“The lawyers’ closing arguments or summations discuss the evidence and properly drawn inferences. The lawyers cannot talk about issues outside the case or about evidence that was not presented.”

I know that the defense gets to close last, but I guess I am surprised that the order was not : defense, prosecution,.defense rebuttal close. Sorry, I am completely unfamiliar with this South Carolina procedure that allows the d to go last.

Hoping the jury has clarity to convict .

Stephen Fastenau
@StephenFastenau

21m
Jury entering and closing statements set to begin in Nathaniel Rowland’s murder trial. Afterwards jury will be charged and begin deliberating

@StephenFastenau
15m
“Don’t be distracted from the facts of the case,” prosecutor Daniel Goldberg tells the jury. “...Nathaniel Rowland brutally murdered Samantha Josephson and Nathaniel Rowland left her to rot.”

I know that the defense gets to close last, but I guess I am surprised that the order was not : defense, prosecution,.defense rebuttal close. Sorry, I am completely unfamiliar with this South Carolina procedure that allows the d to go last.

Hoping the jury has clarity to convict .

I’m from SC and I have never heard of this. I thought the prosecution always had the last word because they had the burden of proof.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokkuyifyi
Back