Searching for Anna - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/20/DDGMJG9I221.DTL

After 30 years as the muckraker of West Marin, Dave Mitchell has passed the torch -- the Light

Jesse Hamlin, Chronicle Staff Writer

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Another article can be read at this link http://www.marinij.com/marin/ci_3613088

Article Launched: 03/17/2006 08:51:00 AM PST
New editor, old editor feuding in Point Reyes
Nancy Isles Nation
The Pulitzer Prize-winning former editor and publisher of the Point Reyes Light has been slapped with a temporary restraining order by the ex-prosecutor who replaced him at the weekly West Marin newspaper.

The order bars David Mitchell, the muckraking journalist who published the Point Reyes Light for 30 years, from the newspaper office where he used to hang his hat. The order also compels him to stay away from the new publisher, Robert Plotkin, 35, a former Monterey County deputy district attorney who bought the Light from Mitchell and has dreams of turning it into "the New York Times of West Marin." Plotkin petitioned for the temporary restraining order on Feb. 17, a day after he said Mitchell grabbed him by the neck and tried to run him down with his car.

more at the above link

It looks like Mr. Mitchell is having some problems. I guess that explains why he didn't return my phone call.

Dr. Doogie said:
Lastly, I have requested that the Detective compare the age-progression of Anna to the DMV picture of the relative of Margaret Kukoda to see if enough of a resemblence to warrant further investigation into her as possibly being Anna.

A long journey is done by taking one step at a time...

Okay, I am desperately trying to refrain from jumping to conclusions here, but....

GB thought Anna was the reincarnation of Margaret, although Anna had been born prior to Margaret's death....:waitasec:

Is it possible GB thought that giving Anna to someone in the Kukoda family was, in effect, replacing Margaret in the family after her death?

Dear Lord, I can not believe I just typed that! :slap:

It looks like Mr. Mitchell is having some problems. I guess that explains why he didn't return my phone call.
LOL! I'd say he's staying real busy between trying to run people down with his car and choking them! Perhaps now that he's barred from the newspaper office he'll have time to return a few phone calls.

Has anyone ever tried to buy a copy of the book that Mitchell wrote re Synanon? If someone has Paypal, you can buy a copy of the book for 83 cents on Ebay, with $2.99 shipping. If you need to write a check or pay in some other method, the best price I saw was $2.99 for the book and $3.49 for shipping. Here's the url for the one that's 83 cents in case someone's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Light-on-Synanon-How-a-country-weekly-exposed-a_W0QQitemZ4616684502QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And here's the url for the copy of the book that's $2.99... this auction has a run-down of each chapter which might be helpful in determining if buying the book is worthwhile:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Light-on-Synanon-1980-1st-Pulitzer-Alcoholics-Anonymous_W0QQitemZ4639172911QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just bought the book on ebay. Maybe there are some pictures in it.

HeartofTexas said:
Doogie, does that mean you've seen the DMV picture of Margaret's relative yourself, or just that you want the San Mateo Sheriff to access the DMV picture via his resources?
I have not. I did do some "drive-by" surviellence of the house and caught a glimpse of the woman in question, but it was too quick and she was in the garage in the shadows, so I do not know if she resembles the age-progressed photo. (It is a fine line between investigation and stalking!)

My hope is that the detective can access the picture through his resources and do a quick comparison. This would be the most effecient means of obtaining that info - we could spend weeks trying to nail this down, where he should be able to access it in a matter of minutes. We will see if he is willing to do this.

One other interesting occured during my discussion with the detective: he mentioned that a copy of the case files had been obtained in the mid 1970's by a woman private investigator (I missed the name and am going to email the detective this morning for that info). I assumed at the time that this was someone that Annasmom and family had hired to look into the case, but when I asked Annasmom about it, she had no idea who this person was! The family did hire a private investigator about this time, but it was a man - maybe this woman was an associate of his and everything is on the up and up. But another possibility is that since files can only be released with a family member's permission, this woman was working for George Waters! If this is the case, either he didn't know what happened to Anna and was doing more than we ever thought to find her, or (more likely) he was trying to find out what info LE had on him. I will let you know what I find.

mfmangel1 said:
Okay, I am desperately trying to refrain from jumping to conclusions here, but....

GB thought Anna was the reincarnation of Margaret, although Anna had been born prior to Margaret's death....:waitasec:

Is it possible GB thought that giving Anna to someone in the Kukoda family was, in effect, replacing Margaret in the family after her death?

Dear Lord, I can not believe I just typed that! :slap:
I hope it doesn't sound too crazy, but that is exactly my working hypothesis. One correction though (and I am the source of the incorrect information), Margaret died August 3, 1967 and Anna was born September 25, 1967 (a few weeks after Margaret's death). I had erroneously stated that Anna was born before Margaret's death.

HeartofTexas said:
... this auction has a run-down of each chapter which might be helpful in determining if buying the book is worthwhile...
With Mr. Mitchell's recent activities, perhaps "run-down" is a poor choice of words... :laugh:

Dr.Doogie,

I don't know if you saw my post but I bought the book that HoT found on Ebay. I'll post when I get it. Who knows there might some helpfull tidbit of information in it.

Shadow205 said:
Dr.Doogie,

I don't know if you saw my post but I bought the book that HoT found on Ebay. I'll post when I get it. Who knows there might some helpfull tidbit of information in it.
Thanks, Shadow. Let us know what you find.

Dr. Doogie said:
I have not. I did do some "drive-by" surviellence of the house and caught a glimpse of the woman in question, but it was too quick and she was in the garage in the shadows, so I do not know if she resembles the age-progressed photo. (It is a fine line between investigation and stalking!)

My hope is that the detective can access the picture through his resources and do a quick comparison. This would be the most effecient means of obtaining that info - we could spend weeks trying to nail this down, where he should be able to access it in a matter of minutes. We will see if he is willing to do this.

One other interesting occured during my discussion with the detective: he mentioned that a copy of the case files had been obtained in the mid 1970's by a woman private investigator (I missed the name and am going to email the detective this morning for that info). I assumed at the time that this was someone that Annasmom and family had hired to look into the case, but when I asked Annasmom about it, she had no idea who this person was! The family did hire a private investigator about this time, but it was a man - maybe this woman was an associate of his and everything is on the up and up. But another possibility is that since files can only be released with a family member's permission, this woman was working for George Waters! If this is the case, either he didn't know what happened to Anna and was doing more than we ever thought to find her, or (more likely) he was trying to find out what info LE had on him. I will let you know what I find.

that new info brings a new light to things and has to be looked into i find it strange that a women was looking into the info and annasmmom was not contacted about it kinda strange dont u think

I emailed the detective asking for the exact name and which family member authorized the release. Once I have the name, I will contact the PI that Annasmom originally hired (and who continues to assist us with the search) and see if she was an associate of his.

From everything I've read here, GW and GB were misers with money... would they really have spent money on a PI? Aren't PI's "expensive"?

Dr. Doogie said:
.... But another possibility is that since files can only be released with a family member's permission, this woman was working for George Waters! If this is the case, either he didn't know what happened to Anna and was doing more than we ever thought to find her, or (more likely) he was trying to find out what info LE had on him. I will let you know what I find.

MagicRose99 said:
From everything I've read here, GW and GB were misers with money... would they really have spent money on a PI? Aren't PI's "expensive"?
I believe that they were pretty tight with GW's money in general, but GW had spent money for attornies for both his draft case and his divorce, so he would spend money when he felt it necessary.

I received the following email from the detective:

"Mr. French,

I retrieved the information you requested and compared the color DMV photo print of (the Kukoda relative) to Anna's age progression photo. I also had others in my office compare the photos and ask if there was any way possible the two pictures might be the same individual. It is everyone's opinion that the photos are of two different people. Additionally, the eye color in the DMV photo is difficult to see clearly, but is listed as a color other than brown, which is the eye color listed for Anna.

The female we spoke of yesterday was named (MH - edited for TOS). The paperwork we have indicates she was a private investigator from Berkeley, California and she was retained by Mr. and Mrs. Ford (Annasmom and Joe Ford). The date on the letter requesting a copy of the report is May 16, 1974."

My next step is to contact the actual PI that the family hired and see if Ms. H was an associate. I will let you know.

The information concerning the relative of Margaret Kukoda pretty much excludes this woman as being Anna. It does not disprove the possibilty that Anna might have been raised by Margaret's family, but it does eliminate this woman as Anna.

Dr. Doogie said:
I hope it doesn't sound too crazy, but that is exactly my working hypothesis. One correction though (and I am the source of the incorrect information), Margaret died August 3, 1967 and Anna was born September 25, 1967 (a few weeks after Margaret's death). I had erroneously stated that Anna was born before Margaret's death.

Unfortunately, considering GW and GB....The hypothesis may be right on track.
Thanks for the corrected info. The fact that Anna was born so quickly after Margaret's death would surely reinforce GB's conviction that Margaret had been reincarnated and adding the name Eifee would tie Anna/Margaret to him.:(

Now I have to wonder if Margaret's name was numerically changed....

mfmangel1 said:

Now I have to wonder if Margaret's name was numerically changed....
According to census records, she was born Margaret Kukoda. I do not know about any middle name shenanigans that may have occured.

DrDoogie, while you have the detective's attention, have you ask him if he could find out who the phone # that you found in the BFH is listed for? I know we have searched with no results but him being in LE he may have a better chance on getting the info.

Dr. Doogie said:
I received the following email from the detective:

"Mr. French,

I retrieved the information you requested and compared the color DMV photo print of (the Kukoda relative) to Anna's age progression photo. I also had others in my office compare the photos and ask if there was any way possible the two pictures might be the same individual. It is everyone's opinion that the photos are of two different people. Additionally, the eye color in the DMV photo is difficult to see clearly, but is listed as a color other than brown, which is the eye color listed for Anna.

The female we spoke of yesterday was named (MH - edited for TOS). The paperwork we have indicates she was a private investigator from Berkeley, California and she was retained by Mr. and Mrs. Ford (Annasmom and Joe Ford). The date on the letter requesting a copy of the report is May 16, 1974."

My next step is to contact the actual PI that the family hired and see if Ms. H was an associate. I will let you know.

The information concerning the relative of Margaret Kukoda pretty much excludes this woman as being Anna. It does not disprove the possibilty that Anna might have been raised by Margaret's family, but it does eliminate this woman as Anna.
Allow for the possibility that I am having a senior moment regarding this investigator, but I'd think at least we would have some paperwork from her or some mention of her in my rather extensive files, and I have none. It is possible that she was working with T.

Annasmom said:
Allow for the possibility that I am having a senior moment regarding this investigator, but I'd think at least we would have some paperwork from her or some mention of her in my rather extensive files, and I have none. It is possible that she was working with T.
I have sent an email to T (the PI) asking if he recognises the name. A google search of the woman's name turns up primarily someone who gives lectures to business women concerning technology. I recall that T is one of a "new breed" of PI's that came from non-law enforcement backgrounds, and it is conceivable that MH came from and eventually returned to a business/technology career.

I know that T had a trial in GA that he was testifying in a couple of weeks ago and does have a trial upcomng here in Northern California very soon, so hopefully we will catch him in his office between testimonies and can get a response soon.

I did not see her name in either the BFH or your manuscript, so if she is an associate of T, then you may never have been aware of her. I think that you can set aside your fear of a nursing home for awhile...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drella444