Severe Weather 2013 Spring, Summer and Fall

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reporting in from UK, bloody freezing still. My magnolia tree is usually in blossom by now but is just in bud. It has been a long, hard winter. 20oC here this weekend, will believe it when I see it

Not sure if it qualifies as "severe", but what the hell, it's sleeting here. :waiting:

We (our house) got hit by lightning on the 10th. Wiped out our cable and everything attached to it. Phones, modem, router, my computer (the rest are wireless) Mikkis Dad's big screen HD tv (his 'other' woman :) ), the little tv upstairs, our blue ray player and our Wii. Not severe compared to some others but pretty scary to see.

Note to self - don't leave laundry piled on the couch. It looks bad when the firefighters come in...

Climate Change-Drought Connection Not 'Significant' In 2012 U.S. Dry Spell, NOAA Reports

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/11/climate-change-drought-2012_n_3064801.html

WASHINGTON -- Last year's huge drought was a freak of nature that wasn't caused by man-made global warming, a new federal science study finds.

Scientists say the lack of moisture usually pushed up from the Gulf of Mexico was the main reason for the drought in the nation's midsection.

Thursday's report by dozens of scientists from five different federal agencies looked into why forecasters didn't see the drought coming. The researchers concluded that it was so unusual and unpredictable that it couldn't have been forecast.

BUT

Nor did the study look at the how global warming exacerbated the high pressure system that kept the jet stream north and the rainfall away, he said.

"This was natural variability exacerbated by global warming," Trenberth said in an email. "That is true of all such events from the Russian heat wave of 2010, to the drought and heat waves in Australia."

--------

Unprecedented Flood Threat Prompts New Forecasting Plan

http://www.wunderground.com/news/new-flood-forecasting-plan-red-river-20130417

FARGO, N.D. (AP) — The National Weather Service is unveiling a new flood forecasting system to address what it calls an unprecedented situation in the southern Red River Valley............

Hubby and I had seen Fargo preparing for the flood by sandbagging the last few weeks. Seems it floods almost every other year. The people of Fargo are well organized with flood control preparations, though the preparations don't always work. Good luck to the people of Fargo.

As for us, most of the storms went all the way around us. No hail and only an inch of rain. Wish Fargo could send us their excess water, we still need it.

Some dicey weather here last night - storms and such, lightning, tremendous thunder, heavy rain. Nothing out of the usual, really, in a midwestern spring except for the fact that we've been in a drought for so long and these kinds of storms have been so rare that they almost seem brand new.

Crests approaching in several towns in Midwest

http://www.inforum.com/event/apArticle/id/DA5PP4B00/

Dire flooding situations dotted at least six Midwestern states following torrential rains this past week that dumped up to 7 inches in some locations. Record flooding was possible in some places as dozens of rivers overflowed their banks.

The floods and flash floods forced evacuations, closed roads, swamped hundreds of thousands of acres of farmland and shut down much of the upper Mississippi River to barge traffic. Even two Mississippi River bridges were closed.

Several Mississippi River towns north of St. Louis were expected to see crests sometime Sunday, including hard-hit Clarksville, Mo.

Volunteers in the tiny community have worked endlessly since Wednesday to build a makeshift sandbag levee that seemed to be holding as the crest_ expected to be 11 feet above flood stage _ approached. Even prisoners from far-away Jefferson City were brought in to help.

It's not severe weather, but Australia has had its first snow for the season (2 months before the ski season officially begins, so the first snow is right on time).

Pea size sleet today with SNOW to follow! Ridiculous.

Argghhh! If the weather continues like this we will go from winter to summer and totally skip spring.

SNOW!

It's the first week of May and Achilles is set to dump inches of snow on parts of the USA. We will break a 100 year old plus record if it does. Unfreakingbelievable! Cover your plants....dig out the coats and boots.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/winter-storm-achilles-20130430

Parts of Minnesota, western Wisconsin, Iowa, far southeast South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas are most likely to see this, but flakes could also fly in Missouri, where accumulating snow is extremely rare in May. Even northern and western Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle are in play for some potential light snow!

Only rain predicted here in NE OK, but we will see a temperature dip of about fifty degrees in the next 24 hours.

Prayers for the victims in TX. Here we await second anniverary of Joplin EF5 which killed 158 directly. It's 22 May.

i'm watching storm chasers,(i keep it in the background always, earthquakes too) theres a glut of chasers in Kansas, tornado warnings just came up in in northern Kansas,and Nebraska, -tornado warnings now stretching south in in Kansas

http://www.tornadovideos.net/pages/full_screen/

The link has an excellent weather map, plus links to live stream chasers
The map -if you open the severe- it can map probability of rotating storms etc-also tomorrows probable storms. Its very accurate, with upto the minute reports of flooding ,wall clouds and such.
An excellent tool for you all that live there --stay safe

i'm watching storm chasers,(i keep it in the background always, earthquakes too) theres a glut of chasers in Kansas, tornado warnings just came up in in northern Kansas,and Nebraska, -tornado warnings now stretching south in in Kansas

http://www.tornadovideos.net/pages/full_screen/

The link has an excellent weather map, plus links to live stream chasers
The map -if you open the severe- it can map probability of rotating storms etc-also tomorrows probable storms. Its very accurate, with upto the minute reports of flooding ,wall clouds and such.
An excellent tool for you all that live there --stay safe

I was just looking at a local tv station's map of all the chasers out there in western Kansas.....even a team from Denmark is out there right now.

was just popping in to post link to torcon but I see Show Me is all over it.

Be safe Kansas and Oklahoma folk. Looks mighty scary over your way.

We will be under threat of severe possibly tornado producing storms on Monday but at least our rating is only 3. 7 for Kansas today and Oklahoma tomorrow :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member