Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am new to this site and have been obsessively reading the Lyon sister threads to catch up. I worked with Dick Welch at the Heidi Bakery in the early 1980's. Heidi bakery supplied Giant Food with their bread/bakery items. Dick, or RAW as he is referred to here, came there to work job with sanitation at the bakery after being a security guard for several years. Dick often talked about when he was a security guard and various Giant stores that he worked at. This included the Wheaton store. There was also a Pants Corral store at Wheaton Plaza. Pants Corral was owned by the same company as Giant and the security guards were often dispatched to various stores to cover shifts. I believe Dick once told me that he worked as a security guard for another company before coming to Giant and that he had a German Shepherd guard dog. I have shared this information with the police and they seemed very interested. They said they have had a very difficult time locating people that worked with Dick in the early 70's and employment records that far back are not available.

Also, I have not seen anything on this site about a relative of Dick's named James Welch from Bedford. Not sure the relationship or where I read it but I think a Roanoke T.V. station or newspaper had something about Dick possibly transporting the girls in a vehicle associated with James. I think James may be dead as if this is him:

http://www.roanoke.com/obituaries/w...cle_9c0ab493-8bee-523b-9925-c1685c62aa7b.html

Please provide a link to support what you are saying about a vehicle being associated with James. He was Dick's nephew.

Please provide a link to support what you are saying about a vehicle being associated with James. He was Dick's nephew.

I was the one who said the vehicle (ford station wagon) was mentioned by LLWjr. It was in the affadavit of Connie Ackers.

Hope it is ok to bring Ws. Richard's post over from media links thread.
rbbm.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Links-**NO-DISCUSSION**&p=1450132#post1450132

"Richard is offline Registered User"

"The Tan Station Wagon story from a California Newspaper 8 April 1975

Here is the text of a UPI feed story which was picked up and printed by a California newspaper on 8 April 1975. It provides some details about the story of the Beige or Tan Ford Station Wagon which was reported by an IBM executive to police as possibly containing the Lyon Sisters and their abductor.

Of interest is that news of the LYON sisters disappearance seems to have been spread through out the country. Although it was major news in the Washington DC metropolitan area for weeks.

------------------------------------------
The Daily Review
Hayward, California
Tuesday, April 8, 1975

MISSING GIRLS MAY BE ALIVE

Fairfax VA, (UPI) The sighting of a car monday carrying two girls, reportedly bound and gagged, has raised hopes that two young Maryland sisters who disappeared two weeks ago may still be alive, law enforcement officials said today.

Maryland and Virginia authorities began the search for the elusive beige station wagon, a 1968 Ford with 1975 Maryland plates, early Monday, after a Manassas Virginia citizen reported seeing two blonde haired girls, both tied in the rear of the car. It was subsequently spotted by citizens in several Northern Virginia towns, but disappeared early Monday evening south of Falls Church.

The girls reportedly resembled Sheila Lyon, 13, and her 11-year-old sister, Katherine, of Kensington MD, who were last seen on March 25 in a shopping center at Wheaton MD. A massive ground, air, and water search had failed to turn up any clues to the whereabouts of the two girls.

Authorities said they were told by the Manassas citizen that the driver of the car, a white-haired man in his fifties, resembled a composite sketch last week of a man believed to have talked to the girls shortly before they disappeared. The witness said when he tried to get a closer look, the car sped off through a red light."

and Lloyd's cousin.

This was the leading story on the 11 PM news on WUSA9, but I don't see a link to it online.

The search was in Severn MD, in a "trailer park."

The daughter, Amy, had no comment.

No information on what if anything was found or what they were looking for.

Only speculation from the TV reporter that the police were applying pressure to Richard.

and Lloyd's cousin.

This was the leading story on the 11 PM news on WUSA9, but I don't see a link to it online.

The search was in Severn MD, in a "trailer park."

The daughter, Amy, had no comment.

No information on what if anything was found or what they were looking for.

Only speculation from the TV reporter that the police were applying pressure to Richard.

A trailer park???? No way!

A trailer park???? No way!

I am nearly certain that the TV broadcast described it as a trailer park. In the TV broadcast , the reporter speculated that the police were trying to pressure Richard.

Neither of these two points made it in the text version, likely because there were not that important. It does not matter if it's a trailer park or some reporters speculation.

Channel 9 did sent a news crew to the area, and they reported outside in front of a city or subdivision or trailer park sign, but they did NOT show pictures of the actual house being searched. Perhaps the news crew was not allowed into a private subdivision or trailer park.

At least Channel 9 sent someone to the scene (it's a good half-hour drive from DC). One other station just read the report over 40 year-old file footage.

This story adds that items were seized without saying what they are.

The items seized could be something or they could be nothing.

I guess nobody can be sued for reporting "item's seized."

Not too long ago, reporters would get (often bad) information from low-level cops at the scene, and report it. But since they did it to Richard Jewell, the FBI's top but wrong suspect of an Olympics bombing, and the media was successfully sued, the media is much more careful about reporting rumors or theories that could ruin someone's reputation.

(Modsnip)

She is actually RAW1's granddaughter, as I initially thought. She was not even alive in 1975 and obviously had nothing to do with the initial case. However, maybe LE thought she was holding / hiding items for her grandparents, RAW and PJW, or secretly communicating on their behalf to others regarding the case. She was at PJW's perjury court appearance, looking like she was ready to kick some reporter's butt. btw, the news said they were reporting the search near the Severn mobile trailer park; not that it really matters anyway.

She is actually RAW1's granddaughter, as I initially thought. She was not even alive in 1975 and obviously had nothing to do with the initial case. However, maybe LE thought she was holding / hiding items for her grandparents, RAW and PJW, or secretly communicating on their behalf to others regarding the case.

Just from being the daughter or granddaughter, she would naturally have plenty of items that her parents or grandparents have given her. (I was somewhat confused if she was Ann or Amy)

I have my dad's old electric lawnmower and some of his automotive tools from the 70s. LE did serve a search warrant on Richard's house to recover a box of old tools. I have dozens of other items from my parents, and a few from my grandparents. If police can't find the car which carried the two bloody duffel bags, finding some tool that was also in the blood-stained trunk might be the next best thing.

It's possible she kept a diary or electronic blog, and wrote something slightly incriminating about family rumors years ago, but I sort of doubt that parents or grandparents would this late in the game put their child at legal risk - and contrary to any legal advice.

Is she the daughter of Tom or Thomas (the 10 year old in 1975) who may have been at the plaza with Lloyd and Richard??

Phone and computer seized in the search.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/201...puter-in-lyon-sisters-investigation/30857371/

SEVERN, Md (WUSA9) -- Police have seized a computer and a cell phone from an Anne Arundel County woman suspected of knowing more than she's saying about the murder of the Lyon sisters.

The search warrant target was Amy Welch, the granddaughter of a person of interest in the girls' murder.

Sheila and Katherine Lyon, 10 and 12, disappeared from a Montgomery County mall 40 years ago. Grand jurors just indicted twice convicted child molester Lloyd Welch in the abduction, rape and murder.

Is she the daughter of Tom or Thomas (the 10 year old in 1975) who may have been at the plaza with Lloyd and Richard??

From the WUSA9 story, Amy is the daughter of a Patty Ann Welch who was 8 at the time of the Lyon sisters disappearance. I am assuming Patty Ann is Richard and Patricia Welch's daughter.

Phone and computer seized in the search.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/201...puter-in-lyon-sisters-investigation/30857371/

SEVERN, Md (WUSA9) -- Police have seized a computer and a cell phone from an Anne Arundel County woman suspected of knowing more than she's saying about the murder of the Lyon sisters.

The search warrant target was Amy Welch, the granddaughter of a person of interest in the girls' murder.

Sheila and Katherine Lyon, 10 and 12, disappeared from a Montgomery County mall 40 years ago. Grand jurors just indicted twice convicted child molester Lloyd Welch in the abduction, rape and murder.

Just for the record...the mountain is not in Bedford. It is in Bedford COUNTY.

Just from being the daughter or granddaughter, she would naturally have plenty of items that her parents or grandparents have given her. (I was somewhat confused if she was Ann or Amy)

I have my dad's old electric lawnmower and some of his automotive tools from the 70s. LE did serve a search warrant on Richard's house to recover a box of old tools. I have dozens of other items from my parents, and a few from my grandparents. If police can't find the car which carried the two bloody duffel bags, finding some tool that was also in the blood-stained trunk might be the next best thing.

It's possible she kept a diary or electronic blog, and wrote something slightly incriminating about family rumors years ago, but I sort of doubt that parents or grandparents would this late in the game put their child at legal risk - and contrary to any legal advice.

Amy Welch is the granddaughter of RAW and his wife, Patricia Welch. Her mother, Patty Ann Welch, was a child in 1975 and she was not born yet. She is not the daughter of Thomas T. Welch, the 11 yr old who has been mentioned as possibly being in the vehicle on the day the Lyon sisters' were abducted from Wheaton Plaza. He would be her cousin. Police seized cell phone and computer in this search.

From the WUSA9 story, Amy is the daughter of a Patty Ann Welch who was 8 at the time of the Lyon sisters disappearance. I am assuming Patty Ann is Richard and Patricia Welch's daughter.

While were on the subject of historical age at a point in time; if we do the math and go back a few years prior for some perspective, an interesting picture develops. Roughly around the time of September 1966, a 21 year old grown man impregnated a 16 year old young girl. Almost forty-nine years later they've defied the statistics as they are still together; at least for the time being. It is possible that one of them could be relocated to receive free room and board at a government facility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back