SIDEBAR #22- Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Zoey :seeya:

You live in Seattle?
My son, who wanted to eventually retire to Upstate NY, has decided that when he is old, he might not retire here because of the cold.
I suggested Washington state.
How's the weather in Washington?

If you like rain ~~ actually depends on where you settle. We don't get a lot of cold weather butwe do get rain.

There was no hearing on the 28th.

JM requested a delay:

"At the request of the State,
IT IS ORDERED vacating Oral Argument set this date and resetting same on 02/19/2014 at 9:30 a.m. before this division."

I am assuming in America it's oil to run heating systems? Had no idea...its gas or electric over here

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I am assuming in America it's oil to run heating systems? Had no idea...its gas or electric over here

I think it is mostly gas and electric here in the States also Josie.
Oil heating seems to be an east coast thing (I could be wrong, basing it on what areas I have heard of using it). At least I had never really known anyone who used it until I met someone who lived near Philadelphia.

I live in Michigan, everyone I know has natural gas heating.

I've never heard of oil heating either, I imagine that would be very expensive...

wow do you think it was arson do to having a rehab house in the neighborhood? Not unheard of...

I'm definitely re-thinking that - "arson" - as 2 more houses burned the next night!!!! :scared: So, I would "think" the Fire Chief will be back here and checking out the rehab house where the fire actually started!

Niner, I am so glad you are okay and your house was not damaged. I feel so sorry for your neighbors and I hope they were able to retrieve photos and valuables. Your husband was smart to get the hose out as he could have sprayed your side of the house that was exposed to embers. I saw people doing that in California and they were successful in saving their homes by dousing their roofs and exteriors.

Did the soot or smoke smell permeate your house?

No, thankfully, the wind was blowing the other way - so no soot or smoke here!!

Gas & Electric here in California; some may be propane!

Good Luck, Ricki!!!

:wave:

Nymeria is correct about oil being used mostly in the eastern states.

"While almost 85% of households in the United States heat with natural gas or electricity, more than 10% rely on heating oil or propane...

Over 80% of homes that rely on heating oil for space heating are located in the Northeast. Also, heating oil is most commonly used in older homes, as about one-half of all homes that currently use heating oil were built before 1950. Generally, homes built since 1980 are not heated with heating oil, except in the Northeast...."

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=4070
-----------------------------------------------------------

Some rural areas in NYS don't have gas heat because they don't have gas lines and don't want them in their backyards. There has been a bitter debate going on for years where I live about gas leases and the environmental problems that come from the drilling- Fracking:

"Geologists have known about the gas for more than a century. It is held in an enormous rock formation known as the Marcellus Shale, formed some 385 million years ago in the bed of a shallow inland sea that once stretched from south of Albany down to West Virginia, from the Hudson Valley into the middle of Ohio. Over time, the sediment-rich sea was buried, as tectonic collisions pushed the Appalachians into existence and the Catskill Mountains, a result of a single collision event, rose up in the north. The old seabed, meantime, came to rest almost two miles below the Earth’s surface. Along the way, it was subjected to increasing temperatures and compression, changing the sediment first to a waxy material from which oil can be extracted, then into natural gas and shale stone.

According to Dr. Gary Lash, a geologist at SUNY Fredonia who studies the Marcellus, it holds possibly the largest reservoir of natural gas ever discovered in America—five times larger than the previous granddaddy, the Barnett Shale, which was first identified beneath Fort Worth, Texas, in 1981 and is now in full production. There are 500 trillion cubic feet of gas in the Marcellus, enough recoverable fuel to meet all of the nation’s needs for two full years. So much is bubbling below the mid-Atlantic hills, in fact, that in the otherwise unremarkable town of Windsor, it sprays from bathroom faucets...

..the Marcellus gas is tightly trapped in the pore spaces of the stone. But a new drilling technique known as horizontal hydraulic fracturing (Fracking) allows extractors to slam chemically treated water into the stone, breaking it up and pushing the gas into pockets for easy recovery. That, combined with a tripling in gas prices over a decade, has made the Marcellus an obsession for gas companies.
the process of extracting natural gas turns out to pose serious environmental risks. Of immediate concern is the drilling process. Some of the impact is temporary, as Glassmire said. Large crews work around the clock under a canopy of lamps that can make country lanes look more like a scene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. And the drilling is noisy, says Bruce Baizel, an attorney for the Oil & Gas Accountability Project, a Colorado nonprofit. “Drilling rigs run up to 100 decibels,” he says. “That’s higher than a jet plane.”...

But the greater concern is the horizontal hydraulic fracturing process—known as “fracing”—which rattles the ground like earthquakes. Out West, where fracing began in 2003, neighbors complained that the process spoiled their drinking-water wells and damaged their foundations. The water for blasting open the shale and freeing the gas is treated with chemicals, to help break up the stone, and mixed with sand, to hold open the newly created fissures. Exactly which chemicals are used is not publicly known. The recipe was pioneered by Halliburton. The company considers the formula to be a trade secret and guards it like Kentucky Fried Chicken guards its batter recipe. One large independent study of fraced wells in the West, by the environmental scientist Theo Colborn, identified over 400 chemical toxins in contaminated groundwater and soil, including the carcinogens ethylbenzene, chromium, and arsenic..."

http://nymag.com/news/features/50502/

I know- more than anyone wanted to know, but I don't know how to explain why we don't use gas heat (besides not having more gas lines in upstate NY).
People, at least where I live, have been fighting to stop the gas leasing of land here and I don't blame them. I like my clean water and I hope that the residents where I live keep my water clean and don't sign up for the gas leases- even tho' they might lose the monetary gain from leasing their land.
There has been an ongoing debate in Albany, too, about fracking.

Here's some videos about some problems with fracking in Pa.:

Light Your Water On Fire from Gas Drilling, Fracking - YouTube

Water on Fire - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 1 - Fracking - YouTube

Rant over :tmi: :shutup:

Hi Everyone,
I got the job and now I will tell you what it is. I am training to be an Investigative Analyst for pre-employment screening and it is going to be very interesting. It is part time, 25 hours a week. It could eventually lead to full time, I hope. It is an industry that is becoming more and more in demand because of the events that have been going on in this world.

:drumroll::clap::takeabow::skip::skip::thewave: :winkkiss: :party:

Way to go Ricki

Nymeria is correct about oil being used mostly in the eastern states.

"While almost 85% of households in the United States heat with natural gas or electricity, more than 10% rely on heating oil or propane...

Over 80% of homes that rely on heating oil for space heating are located in the Northeast. Also, heating oil is most commonly used in older homes, as about one-half of all homes that currently use heating oil were built before 1950. Generally, homes built since 1980 are not heated with heating oil, except in the Northeast...."

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=4070

Some rural areas in NYS don't have gas heat because they don't have gas lines and don't want them in their backyards. There has been a bitter debate going on for years where I live about gas leases and the environmental problems that come from the drilling- Fracking:

"Geologists have known about the gas for more than a century. It is held in an enormous rock formation known as the Marcellus Shale, formed some 385 million years ago in the bed of a shallow inland sea that once stretched from south of Albany down to West Virginia, from the Hudson Valley into the middle of Ohio. Over time, the sediment-rich sea was buried, as tectonic collisions pushed the Appalachians into existence and the Catskill Mountains, a result of a single collision event, rose up in the north. The old seabed, meantime, came to rest almost two miles below the Earth’s surface. Along the way, it was subjected to increasing temperatures and compression, changing the sediment first to a waxy material from which oil can be extracted, then into natural gas and shale stone.

According to Dr. Gary Lash, a geologist at SUNY Fredonia who studies the Marcellus, it holds possibly the largest reservoir of natural gas ever discovered in America—five times larger than the previous granddaddy, the Barnett Shale, which was first identified beneath Fort Worth, Texas, in 1981 and is now in full production. There are 500 trillion cubic feet of gas in the Marcellus, enough recoverable fuel to meet all of the nation’s needs for two full years. So much is bubbling below the mid-Atlantic hills, in fact, that in the otherwise unremarkable town of Windsor, it sprays from bathroom faucets...

..the Marcellus gas is tightly trapped in the pore spaces of the stone. But a new drilling technique known as horizontal hydraulic fracturing (Fracking) allows extractors to slam chemically treated water into the stone, breaking it up and pushing the gas into pockets for easy recovery. That, combined with a tripling in gas prices over a decade, has made the Marcellus an obsession for gas companies.
the process of extracting natural gas turns out to pose serious environmental risks. Of immediate concern is the drilling process. Some of the impact is temporary, as Glassmire said. Large crews work around the clock under a canopy of lamps that can make country lanes look more like a scene from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. And the drilling is noisy, says Bruce Baizel, an attorney for the Oil & Gas Accountability Project, a Colorado nonprofit. “Drilling rigs run up to 100 decibels,” he says. “That’s higher than a jet plane.”...

But the greater concern is the horizontal hydraulic fracturing process—known as “fracing”—which rattles the ground like earthquakes. Out West, where fracing began in 2003, neighbors complained that the process spoiled their drinking-water wells and damaged their foundations. The water for blasting open the shale and freeing the gas is treated with chemicals, to help break up the stone, and mixed with sand, to hold open the newly created fissures. Exactly which chemicals are used is not publicly known. The recipe was pioneered by Halliburton. The company considers the formula to be a trade secret and guards it like Kentucky Fried Chicken guards its batter recipe. One large independent study of fraced wells in the West, by the environmental scientist Theo Colborn, identified over 400 chemical toxins in contaminated groundwater and soil, including the carcinogens ethylbenzene, chromium, and arsenic..."

http://nymag.com/news/features/50502/

I know- more than anyone wanted to know, but I don't know how to explain why we don't use gas heat (besides not having more gas lines in upstate NY).
People, at least where I live, have been fighting to stop the gas leasing of land here and I don't blame them. I like my clean water and I hope that the residents where I live keep my water clean and don't sign up for the gas leases- even tho' they might lose the monetary gain from leasing their land.
There has been an ongoing debate in Albany, too, about fracking.

Here's some videos about some problems with fracking in Pa.:

Light Your Water On Fire from Gas Drilling, Fracking - YouTube

Water on Fire - Marcellus Shale Reality Tour Part 1 - Fracking - YouTube

Rant over :tmi: :shutup:

No wonder you use so much bandwidth! :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Hi Everyone,
I got the job and now I will tell you what it is. I am training to be an Investigative Analyst for per-employment screening and it is going to be very interesting. It is part time, 25 hours a week. It could eventually lead to full time, I hope. It is an industry that is becoming more and more in demand because of the events that have been going on in this world.

YAY Congratulations!!

:loveyou:

Thanks guys. I haven't worked in almost 2 years. It has been a long search and after this first day, I am pooped out. I am sure after I get accustomed to working again, I will adjust and be fine.
Boy, talk about security, this place is definitely secure. There are cameras all over the place and you need a coded card to get around from room to room and in an out.

Congratulations Ricki and good luck.

:toastred:

:juanettes::juanettes::juanettes::juanettes: :juanettes::juanettes:

Thanks guys. I haven't worked in almost 2 years. It has been a long search and after this first day, I am pooped out. I am sure after I get accustomed to working again, I will adjust and be fine.
Boy, talk about security, this place is definitely secure. There are cameras all over the place and you need a coded card to get around from room to room and in an out.

Congratulations, Ricki! :thewave:

Sure, it will take a week or two, but be cautious of your health in a new place..Good Luck!! :woot:

CONGRATULATIONS RICKI!!!!

So happy for you, and I think you will just love it!

Oil heat is expensive, for any wondering.

I rented half of a duplex once with oil heat. That means it really was an apartment, but with a bit of yard. I kept the heat on 58 during a relatively mild winter. I was cold. One month of oil was $500. I left because I don't make that kind of money, since it was my ex-hubby's family, they were fine as we had no lease. That month of oil was not the full tank, as there was oil already in the tank. You get oil year round, but in the summer it may only be $100 as you are only using it to heat water. My ex-hubby has paid up to $1000 a month in the winter months to keep his small house at 65.

Conversion does depend on the neighborhood as YesorNo found in the article above, so if you live anywhere near an area that uses oil heat, find out before you buy a house if it has oil heat and if you don't want it, if you can convert BEFORE buying or moving in.

----------
Ricki, so happy for you :loveyou: my thanks button is working part time~:floorlaugh: :seeya:

Congratulations Ricki!!!! When is your celebration party????

Yea Ricki!!

:cheers:

:skip:

:thewave:

:wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors