Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
March 25th...

I'll be there 3 days after my surgery...

I'm going to find out if the hospital has wifi, so the Huz can bring me my laptop - so I can "talk" with you guys!! If not, I'll be back here on the following Saturday!

Nore - I just finished reading Esther Williams' biography - Million Dollar Mermaid - interesting life she had!

Hi YesorNo - I "see" you are the only one here! :wave:

----------
Niner, I'll be thinking of you. just take it easy afterwards. Yes Esther Williams was one of the greats of that time. Have yoy ever seen Sonja Heinie
ice skate? She was in Sun Valley Serenade with John Payne. Oh she was fantastic!! Also the Glenn Miller Story is very good. I remember when his plane went down in the English Channel. We were all upset. his music was so good. Tex Beneke took over the band. The Charlie Chan movies were good, Tyrone Power. I could not stand her after that! Good movie or what? I wrote I saw Blood and Sand with Rita Hayworth and Tyrone Power, it vanished from my page!! She was so mean in that movie. Ronald Coleman was another good one. Can you tell I am older tha dirt? :floorlaugh: If I try to write this over I'll no doubt lose the whole page~ good luck reading!:loveyou:

Where isssss everyone??????

BOBBY VINTON - Mr. Lonely [ 60's Video in NEW STEREO ] - YouTube

Anyway:

TCM is having their 30 Days Of Oscar this month and I have been reveted to the TV because there are so many good movies to watch. This afternoon I watched Leave Her To Heaven with the two most gorgeous women, Gene Tierney and Jean Craine, and Cornell Wilde and Vincent Price.

This is one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen- filmed in Technicolor.
One scene in "Leave Her to Heaven" is quite memorable- The one where Ellen rides her horse through a western wilderness, ceremonially scattering the ashes of her beloved father and finally flinging the empty urn away. And Gene Tierney- has any woman ever looked more awfully gorgeous than when Tierney casts her father’s ashes across her chest in that luridly empurpled and incestuous consecration in Technicolor? (see 15.05 in the YTube- althought the color is not great in this) The look of the film is difficult to describe other than to say that every blue in the film matches Gene Tierney's eyes and every red matches her lipstick and that is not an exaggeration.

Ellen Berent, one of cinema’s most chilling psychopaths, makes life hell for those close to her. “It’s just that she loves too much,” Ellen’s mother offers as explanation to her daughter’s new husband, Richard, whom Ellen wants to possess fully. ( No one is capable of loving too much in these dreary, homogenized movies now, IMO). Ruled by pathological jealousy, Ellen simply stares as Richard’s beloved kid brother drowns and throws herself down the stairs to get rid of the “little beast” growing inside her and drags down everyone along with her. I won't reveal the ending- just in case someone wants to watch this fim. Ellen's vindictive and vile machinations seem to spring almost out of nowhere, and are frighteningly accepted with a casual, distrustful air by her comparatively well-adjusted family.

She picks a husband because of his resemblance to Daddy, and is then gripped by a mounting jealousy which inclines her to dispose violently of anyone else laying claim to his affection. Ellen is a beautiful female sociopath who manipulates, schemes, and much worse. Ellen is not dangerous because she's different; she is dangerous because she's evil, likes to hurt people, and has disdain for anything that does not put her front and center. She is cruel and narcissistic- she has a belief that unlike her, other mortals were there just to be laughed at. She’ll drain you, defeat you, and pack you away like so much storage.

When I watched the movie today, Ellen reminded me of The Killer :jail:- who, IMO, is also a psychopath. Although Ellen does not kill her husband- who she wants to swallow whole, she does kill. I just hope I can get The Killer :jail: out of my mind the next time I watch this wonderful movie and it has not been spoiled for me now that I see the resemblance of Ellen and The Killer :jail:
The movie followed the book almost exactly.( I have the book- another one of my "treasures" :facepalm:).

---------------------------------
Shakespeare's Hamlet.
In Act I, Scene V, the Ghost urges Hamlet not to seek vengeance against Queen Gertrude, but rather to "leave her to heaven, and to those thorns that in her bosom lodge to prick and sting her."

"Let not the royal bed of Denmark be
A couch for luxury and damned incest.
But, howsoever thou pursuest this act,
Taint not thy mind, nor let thy soul contrive
Againt thy mother aught ; leave her to heaven,
And to those thorns that in her bosom lodge,
To prick and sting her."

Hamlet's mother is a treacherous woman, just as Ellen is and both Hamlet's mother and Ellen will pay for their crimes when their time comes- leave her to heaven to be judged- just as I hope The Killer :jail: will pay for murdering Travis.

"Well, of all the seven deadly sins, jealousy is the most deadly," says one of the characters in the movie (I forget who now).

You really should watch this movie and judge for yourself.

Thanks for reading. :seeya:

Leave Her to Heaven Full Movie - YouTube

picture.php

picture.php

-------------------

When I first joined WS, my avatar was going to be mrsmuir from Gene Tierney's excellent movie, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, but I was so impressed by JM that I chose Y/N instead. Now, in hindsight, I wish I stuck with mrsmuir. Wonder if I could change my avatar. Anyone know??

Yes, you can change your Avitar YESorNO. Just go up top to CP user click on it and then go down to edit Avitar. I believe you can do it there.

Have you guys heard of Melissa Devault? I'm watching JVM tonight for the first time in ages. Just now hearing about this case. JVM is comparing her interrogation tapes to JA's interrogation tapes.

Have you guys heard of Melissa Devault? I'm watching JVM tonight for the first time in ages. Just now hearing about this case. JVM is comparing her interrogation tapes to JA's interrogation tapes.

Isn't she the gal who killed her husband with a hammer and said it was self defense, she was supposedly, according to her abused? And wasn't she in jail with JA. I don't know much about that case but I heard that JA could of taken bits and pieces from Devaults stories. I think I am thinking of the same gal. I am pretty sure we have members here who have been following that case. They may be able to give lots more info.

Yes, you can change your Avitar YESorNO. Just go up top to CP user click on it and then go down to edit Avitar. I believe you can do it there.

I meant my User name (not avatar). :doh:

Neesaki-
You have found out that Fredrick March is one of the greatest actors that no one knows about.
I just loved him in A Star IS Born and The Best Years Of Our Lives. My son wrote a paper for high school on The Best Years Of Our Lives about soldiers coming home after war. He was very impressed that this movie is sort of timeless and could be a movie about today's soldiers.

I think I fell in love with him in A Star Is Born when he said "Mind if I take just one more look?" (about 35 in YTube and everything from 1:39:07 'til the end of the movie):

(1937) William Wellman - 'A Star Is Born' starring Janet Gaynor - YouTube

The Best Years of Our Lives - The Homecoming - YouTube

------------------------------------------------------

It's about 53 degrees and the sun is shining!

Can I have a Hallelujah everyone? (I'll take today's weather

for as long as it wants to stay :drumroll:)

http://www.villagegeek.com/downloads/webwavs/hallelujah.wav

Both of these movies were new to me. It's wonderful that your son can appreciate them. My husband watched The Best Years of Our Lives with me. And guess what, we turned right around and watched it again the following night, two nights in a row, lol. I am being honest when I say that it really has to be something special for my DH to watch an old movie two consecutive nights. A true masterpiece, imo.

Oh, YorN, that quote "Mind if I just take one more look?" just gave me the chills when I read it. I just finished A Star Is Born last night, and want to cry. How sad. And yes, I'm in love with him too. :loveyou:

Anyway:

TCM is having their 30 Days Of Oscar this month and I have been reveted to the TV because there are so many good movies to watch. This afternoon I watched Leave Her To Heaven with the two most gorgeous women, Gene Tierney and Jean Craine, and Cornell Wilde and Vincent Price.

One scene in "Leave Her to Heaven" is quite memorable- The one where Ellen rides her horse through a western wilderness, ceremonially scattering the ashes of her beloved father and finally flinging the empty urn away. And Gene Tierney- has any woman ever looked more awfully gorgeous than when Tierney casts her father’s ashes across her chest in that luridly empurpled and incestuous consecration in Technicolor? (see 15.05 in the YTube- althought the color is not great in this) The look of the film is difficult to describe other than to say that every blue in the film matches Gene Tierney's eyes and every red matches her lipstick and that is not an exaggeration.

Ellen Berent, one of cinema’s most chilling psychopaths, makes life hell for those close to her. “It’s just that she loves too much,” Ellen’s mother offers as explanation to her daughter’s new husband, Richard, whom Ellen wants to possess fully. ( No one is capable of loving too much in these dreary, homogenized movies now, IMO). Ruled by pathological jealousy, Ellen simply stares as Richard’s beloved kid brother drowns and throws herself down the stairs to get rid of the “little beast” growing inside her and drags down everyone along with her. I won't reveal the ending- just in case someone wants to watch this fim. Ellen's vindictive and vile machinations seem to spring almost out of nowhere, and are frighteningly accepted with a casual, distrustful air by her comparatively well-adjusted family.

She picks a husband because of his resemblance to Daddy, and is then gripped by a mounting jealousy which inclines her to dispose violently of anyone else laying claim to his affection. Ellen is a beautiful female sociopath who manipulates, schemes, and much worse. Ellen is not dangerous because she's different; she is dangerous because she's evil, likes to hurt people, and has disdain for anything that does not put her front and center. She is cruel and narcissistic- she has a belief that unlike her, other mortals were there just to be laughed at. She’ll drain you, defeat you, and pack you away like so much storage.

When I watched the movie today, Ellen reminded me of The Killer :jail:- who, IMO, is also a psychopath. Although Ellen does not kill her husband- who she wants to swallow whole, she does kill. I just hope I can get The Killer :jail: out of my mind the next time I watch this wonderful movie and it has not been spoiled for me now that I see the resemblance of Ellen and The Killer :jail:
The movie followed the book almost exactly.( I have the book- another one of my "treasures" :facepalm:).

Shakespeare's Hamlet.
In Act I, Scene V, the Ghost urges Hamlet not to seek vengeance against Queen Gertrude, but rather to "leave her to heaven, and to those thorns that in her bosom lodge to prick and sting her."

To prick and sting her."

Hamlet's mother is a treacherous woman, just as Ellen is and both Hamlet's mother and Ellen will pay for their crimes when their time comes- leave her to heaven to be judged- just as I hope The Killer :jail: will pay for murdering Travis.

"Well, of all the seven deadly sins, jealousy is the most deadly," says one of the characters in the movie (I forget who now).

picture.php

picture.php

-------------------

When I first joined WS, my avatar was going to be mrsmuir from Gene Tierney's excellent movie, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, but I was so impressed by JM that I chose Y/N instead. Now, in hindsight, I wish I stuck with mrsmuir. Wonder if I could change my avatar. Anyone know??

Yes, you can.

But probably not your username (i.e., YESorNO) without re-registering.

What, no Hope Lange?

$_35.JPG

Let us know if you need help stepping through an avatar change.

He was good in Inherit The Wind with Spencer Tracy too.

I'm watching movies in sixties. Have you ever seen The Loved One? It was considered racy for the time.

Robert Morse, John Gielgud, Milton Berle, Rod Steiger, Jonathan Winters and.....Liberace as the casket salesman.

The Loved One (1965) 1/9 - YouTube

The Loved One (1965) 2/9 - YouTube

The Loved One (1965) 3/9 - YouTube

The Loved One (1965) 4/9 - YouTube

The Loved One (1965) 5/9 - YouTube

The Loved One (1965) 6/9 - YouTube

The Loved One (1965) 7/9 - YouTube

The Loved One (1965) 8/9 - YouTube

The Loved One (1965) 9/9 - YouTube

and Paul Williams is the boy who would grow up to write the lyrics to A Star is Born with Barbara Streisand. Small world at times isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L7AIBlzCluc

Next is It's a Mad Mad Mad World, again with , Jonathan Winters,Milton Berle, Spencer Tracy and Sid Caesar, who died last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lEeR8jxbhi0

Our peach and pear trees are trying to bloom.

Inherit the Wind? I'll for sure be watching for that one. I love Spencer Tracy too. He was so good in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I look for movies starring Tracy, and now also for movies with Frederick March. :heart: Thanks for the heads up.
I haven't seen The Loved One, but will be on the look out. :seeya:

I meant my User name (not avatar). :doh:

Noooo! You can't change your user name on me, YESorNO, i am just beginning to recognize people here. And I am still confused by the size of this board. You can only change if it has the component "formerly known as YESorNO".

:twocents:

Neesaki, I watch a lot of them also. Have you seen East Of Eden? with James Dean, Julie Harris. That is an excellent movie. Of course I had a crush on James Dean, oh how I cried through the movie! It hit a bit close to home. There are some good cornball war movies also. Sunday Dinner for a Soldier, Since You Went Away, Mrs. Miniver, Miracle In The Rain. Fredrick March was in a lot of good movies. So was Joseph Cotten, Robert Walker ( he and Jennifer Jones were married). Shirley Temple in a few though I must say her acting wasn't too good. Oh I used to go to movies a lot. I knew of all of the stars. No TV!! The musicals were good too, Esther Williams swimming was something to see. Ethel Smith at the organ. OMG! I dont go anymore. they do not make good movies. There is more to life than sex and swearing. Oh Red Skelton was in a lot of Esthers' movies..:seeya:

I haven't seen East of Eden, but have it recorded on DVR. Will watch it soon. I just loved Red Skelton. :loveyou: Ah yes, the good old days. At least Hollywood has that....

Anyway:

Shakespeare's Hamlet.

To prick and sting her."

picture.php

picture.php

-------------------

Oh, Leave Her To Heaven , I saw a piece of that a while back, so have it recorded and am going to watch that in full tonight.

Sorry for all these posts, guys... :blushing: Maybe we should have a movie thread, lol.

Both of these movies were new to me. It's wonderful that your son can appreciate them. My husband watched The Best Years of Our Lives with me. And guess what, we turned right around and watched it again the following night, two nights in a row, lol. I am being honest when I say that it really has to be something special for my DH to watch an old movie two consecutive nights. A true masterpiece, imo.

Oh, YorN, that quote "Mind if I just take one more look?" just gave me the chills when I read it. I just finished A Star Is Born last night, and want to cry. How sad. And yes, I'm in love with him too. :loveyou:

It was a sad movie, but I love that movie. I could watch it hundreds of times (in fact I did when I couldn't afford satellite for a few months some years ago. I have it on VHS).

Of Human Bondage is on right now on TCM with Betti Davis- another great movie. She is the greatest, IMO.

Yes, you can.

But probably not your username (i.e., YESorNO) without re-registering.

What, no Hope Lange?

$_35.JPG

Let us know if you need help stepping through an avatar change.

I'd have to re-register???? How would I do that and would all my old info go away? :scared: I could be a new person. :floorlaugh:

I do know how to change my avatar, tho', but thanks for the offer. :seeya:

Oh, Leave Her To Heaven , I saw a piece of that a while back, so have it recorded and am going to watch that in full tonight.

Sorry for all these posts, guys... :blushing: Maybe we should have a movie thread, lol.

BBM What for.

No one is posting these days, anyway, IMO. :sigh:

I'd have to re-register???? How would I do that and would all my old info go away? :scared: I could be a new person. :floorlaugh:

I do know how to change my avatar, tho', but thanks for the offer. :seeya:

It can be done technically, but almost certainly not by a user (one of us). Your data (comments, etc.) would exist if you re-registered. If you used a separate email address you would have two websleuths accounts and could log into one or both of them.

It would likely require the manipulation of database indices, etc.; i.e., not something comment boards usually offer to users.

But if it's any consolation, you'll always be Mrs. Muir to me.

We'd keep it all straight somehow... :juggle:

BBM What for.

No one is posting these days, anyway, IMO. :sigh:

[Now feeling a lot like "no one". :slap:]

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt"

I guess I could always revoke consent...

[Now feeling a lot like "no one". :slap:]

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt"

I guess I could always revoke consent...

Oh. You know what I mean. :hiding: :princes:

Not many people are coming to the Sidebar anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member