SIDEBAR #23- Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NYMERIA, thanks for the recipe (sounds delicious!) and the link. :eek:fftobed:

That is not sleepy time crickets.

That is loud lost in the house giving me a headache want to smash it now cricket sound.

Not that I would ever smash a cricket, except those jumpy flesh colored ones that make no sound that live here. They really jump! Still never smashed one, just ran around like it was a rodent, got a jar or cup, and let it out when it got near me. (Camel Cricket)
Like this:

05camel-cricket1.jpg

---------
Hi merc7, I love thee sound of crickets! especially at night when I am lying in bed. Thats the only problem wiith A/C but I must have it for breathing..:loveyou:

Welcs Spellbound, hope you like it!
G'night :seeya:

Sure I can share!
One thing though, the recipe has a "recipe" for the seasoning, I have never made it because we actually buy the seasoning itself when we go to Frankenmuth. It can best be described as a salty, chicken-y type seasoning, lol.
So, if possible you might want to try to pick that up (you can order it from The Bavarian Inn website), or hell, just go for it with the substitute recipe, I dunno!
The seasoning is also really good on chicken, btw.

Here goes-
BUTTERED NOODLES LIKE ZENDER'S, FRANKENMUTH, MI. (Gloria Pitzer)

1 lb. medium wide egg noodles, cooked al dente, drained
1/3-1/2 c. melted butter
1 1/2 c. club crackers, crushed
1 t. dry, minced parsley
1/4 t. ground poultry seasoning
1/2 t. Frankenmuth chicken seasoning (recipe follows)
1 can (14 oz.) clear chicken broth, to dilute noodles later, if necessary

Set cooked noodles aside. Combine above ingredients, except canned broth, to make topping. Place cooked noodles in a buttered or Pam-sprayed (3 quart) baking dish and sprinkle club cracker mixture over top.
(serves 6-8)

CHICKEN SEASONING LIKE FRANKENMUTH'S:

1/4 c. Betty Crocker instant potato buds, no substitute
3 T. chicken bouillon powder
1 t. poultry seasoning
1 t. rubbed sage
1 t. black pepper
1 small packet Ranch dressing mix

Place above ingredients in a blender and pulse til finely powdered. Use as a seasoning for chicken or other dishes. Store at room temperature, tightly capped, for several months.
(makes 1/2 cup)

Link to the site (it is a cool site, has lots of copycat recipes)-
http://www.askyourneighbor.com/recipes/509.htm

PS- If you ever get to eat at Frankenmuth, you will know they use a certain kind of noodle that is not easy to find. They are almost like a very thick fettuccine noodle. What I am saying is once you have them there, you will want to try to duplicate them EXACTLY...they are that good!
-------------
Could they be Mrs. Weiss Kluski noodles? they are very good. I loved the Christmas shoppe at Frankenmuth. :loveyou:

-------------
Could they be Mrs. Weiss Kluski noodles? they are very good. I loved the Christmas shoppe at Frankenmuth. :loveyou:

They actually use a long fat egg noodle, but Mrs. Weiss Kluski would work pretty darn well, I would think!
I love Mrs. G Kluskis, they were close to what my Grammas homemade noodles were like. I finally learned to make them myself not long ago, she died before I could learn them from her (I was young), so I am glad I finally figured out how to make them :)

Goodnight. :seeya:

I'll leave you with my older son's favorite story. When this book first came out- years ago, I gave it to everyone.

My last birthday, my older son gave it to me as my present. :heartbeat:

Love You Forever - YouTube

:seeya:

This book is doubly special to me. I bought it for my son when he was little and it was one of his favourites. I didn't realize just how much it meant to him, however, until last year when he told me the following story.

When he was a teenager, he was the babysitter for a colleague's little boy. The boy always loved bedtime stories and one night chose Love You Forever. My son told me that as he was reading it to him he started to choke up. He even had to frequently pause and wipe his eyes.

He says he looks forward to giving a copy of it to his future child/children!

Rats! As usual, when I log on no one is here.

I guess I'll just natter on to myself.

Right now I'm making soup--I'm a soup-junky during the winter. It's a roasted cauliflower soup with a mild curry flavour. I don't even like cauliflower that much because I don't like its smell as it cooks. But, when it's roasted slowly in the oven, the natural sugars are brought out, making the flavour heavenly. I don't know why (I'm no Alton Brown), but roasting cauliflower rather than boiling or steaming it doesn't stink up my house.

It's so easy to make:

Break up a head of cauliflower into bite-size florets (and chop up the main stem--mustn't waste!).

Place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Optional: add one or two cardamom pods. With clean hands, scoop and stir the cauliflower pieces to make sure they are all coated.

Spread on a cookie sheet and roast in a 375 degree oven for about 20 to 40 minutes, or until the edges of the cauliflower pieces are nicely browned. It's important to let them brown slowly. After they are roasted, set aside some of the florets to add to the soup after it is cooked and pureed.

While the cauliflower is roasting, melt some butter in a stock pot or dutch oven, and add either half an onion or a whole onion--diced. Slowly saute on low heat until the diced onion is transparent, but not browned.

Still on low heat, add one to two teaspoons of curry powder (or maybe more if you like curry) and cook for about one to two minutes, stirring constantly (you might need to add a teensy bit more butter if the diced onion has soaked up most of it). Add the cauliflower pieces and stir.

Immediately add some stock--enough to cover the cauliflower. It can be either vegetable stock or chicken stock. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.

Allow the soup to cool and then, in batches, puree in a blender.

To serve, reheat on low, place about five of the reserved florets in each bowl and ladle in the soup.

The key to success is slow cooking on low heat. That way the natural sugars of the cauliflower are released and the curry is definitely present but not overpowering.

Yummy, healthy, cheap, and easy to make!

The Queen woke me up @ 4:00 this morning- barking and fussing. :scared:
I let her out- to bark and fuss- and when she was through, I tried to fall asleep again. I couldn't :(, so I did my daily AM routine and also watched I Love Lucy.

They had on an episode where the gang is traveling through Ohio, on their way to Hollywood, and they stop at a diner and motel run by a man who takes advantage of them. It was so funny. :lol:
I managed to find a part of the episode and thought someone might like it:

the first stop bed scene - YouTube

Anyone watch? Their new season started last Tuesday on TLC @10:00.
This is the only "reality" program that I watch now. I use to watch The NY/NJ Housewives, but quickly found that they were garbage TV.
This couple are so real and there's real love and respect in their marriage.
I just really admire them and what they have accomplished- it really strengthens my idea that anyone can do almost anything, if they really want it.

They have a happy little 3 year old son, Will. What a treasure they have in him when they adopted him. He has dwarfism also, but you wouldn't know it- he's just the most wonderful little boy- smart as a whip, too. he's a blessing.

Now, Zoey is a different story. She's a 2 year old little baby from India. I think she might be a handful and I'm interested to see how Jennifer and Bill Arnold will handle the situation.
----------------------

"After 16 months of waiting and a grueling adoption process The Little Couple of Bill Klein and Jennifer Arnold on Tuesday night's episode finally met their new daughter.

Jen and Bill, who both have dwarfism, already battled to adopt a son Will from China but were stymied by bureaucracy when attempting to bring their second child, baby Zoey, back from India.

Complicated further when Jen suffered a life-threatening cancer scare, it was heartwarming to watch the couple 'finally complete their family'."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...young-son-shows-instant-affection-sister.html
--
This article has a very nice picture of Zoey and her new parents:

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20788362,00.html

That soup sounds really good Becky.
Thanks for the recipe!

The turkey tenderloin came out good. I didn't use the crock pot: I roasted it in the oven with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and butter for about 45-55 min.
Served it with buttered noodles, glazed carrots, and gravy.
My son kept coming in the kitchen (because the tenderloin smelled so good) :floorlaugh:

I made a marble layer cake with chocolate frosting for dessert (that should be gone in 2 days :facepalm:).
After that dinner, I wanted to sleep (must be the turkey).
We have leftover turkey, so I'll make turkey soup tomorrow.

Cats Playing Patty-cake, what they were saying... - YouTube

Now you're making me want roast turkey YorN. The tenderloin is a good idea, faster, and, I hate dealing with whole turkeys. Besides they're too big and we don't really care for the dark meat.

All these good foods you guys are posting is making me hungry, and I'm on a diet... I'm so excited! :D :skip:.... NOT :banghead:. Also, I never have known exactly why, but I just can't do butter, it makes me sick to my stomach. I assume I must be lactose / dairy intolerant. I can eat a little margarine, or use that in place of butter for baking when I bake (rarely), but for most of my cooking I just use olive oil and I use a lot of garlic in almost everything, I don't mean in cookies and such, lol.

But I'm for sure going to do the turkey tenderloin loin when we get back home, we're out of town right now. I also liked the roasted cauliflower idea that Becky posted. Thanks for that Becky, :wave: it sounds tasty and will be great for my, GRRRRRR, low carb diet, :cursing:

Now you're making me want roast turkey YorN. The tenderloin is a good idea, faster, and, I hate dealing with whole turkeys. Besides they're too big and we don't really care for the dark meat.

All these good foods you guys are posting is making me hungry, and I'm on a diet... I'm so excited! :D :skip:.... NOT :banghead:. Also, I never have known exactly why, but I just can't do butter, it makes me sick to my stomach. I assume I must be lactose / dairy intolerant. I can eat a little margarine, or use that in place of butter for baking when I bake (rarely), but for most of my cooking I just use olive oil and I use a lot of garlic in almost everything, I don't mean in cookies and such, lol.

But I'm for sure going to do the turkey tenderloin loin when we get back home, we're out of town right now. I also liked the roasted cauliflower idea that Becky posted. Thanks for that Becky, :wave: it sounds tasty and will be great for my, GRRRRRR, low carb diet, :cursing:

Hi Neesaki,

If you like garlic (and I sure do!), just include as many cloves as you like with the cauliflower pieces when you roast them. I sooo love roasted garlic--it gets all amazingly sweet and gooey soft, and the roasting minimizes its strong, pongy smell. Roasted garlic is so scrumptious spread on a piece of crunchy Italian or French bread.

And speaking of bread . . . like you, I'm curbing my carbs. Or, er, I'm trying to. Probably like you, I loves me carbs!! Yesterday's posts about buttered noodles--and buttered THICK noodles!--had me practically slobbering: [said in a drooling Homer Simpson voice] "mmmmm, caaaarbs. Aaaaarrhh."

Give me a bowl of pasta slathered in a creamy sauce, or a plate of pan-fried new potatoes, or a heaping scoop of scalloped potatoes and I'm in seventh heaven!!!!

But I think that, of all the carbs, bread is truly my downfall. I love bread in all its forms and in all its magnificent variations! Years ago I used to bake my own bread but had to stop because I would scarf down pretty much a whole loaf once the just-baked loaves cooled. Needless to say, I began to look like the Pilsbury Doughboy!

My great grandfather was a baker. Although he was long dead before I was born, I did get to appreciate his knowledge and skills through my grandmother, his daughter. She was a rather grim woman--definitely not a "granny" or "grandma" sort of grandmother, yet a good woman in her own way--and I have fond memories of childhood summers when visiting her: every morning she made a loaf of bread and used any leftover dough to make a few cinnamon buns. Waking up to the pleasantly yeasty smell of rising bread and the fabulous aroma of just-about-to-be-baked cinnamon buns is something I now feel very nostalgic about. :seeya:

Hi Neesaki,

If you like garlic (and I sure do!), just include as many cloves as you like with the cauliflower pieces when you roast them. I sooo love roasted garlic--it gets all amazingly sweet and gooey soft, and the roasting minimizes its strong, pongy smell. Roasted garlic is so scrumptious spread on a piece of crunchy Italian or French bread.

And speaking of bread . . . like you, I'm curbing my carbs. Or, er, I'm trying to. Probably like you, I loves me carbs!! Yesterday's posts about buttered noodles--and buttered THICK noodles!--had me practically slobbering: [said in a drooling Homer Simpson voice] "mmmmm, caaaarbs. Aaaaarrhh."

Give me a bowl of pasta slathered in a creamy sauce, or a plate of pan-fried new potatoes, or a heaping scoop of scalloped potatoes and I'm in seventh heaven!!!!

But I think that, of all the carbs, bread is truly my downfall. I love bread in all its forms and in all its magnificent variations! Years ago I used to bake my own bread but had to stop because I would scarf down pretty much a whole loaf once the just-baked loaves cooled. Needless to say, I began to look like the Pilsbury Doughboy!

My great grandfather was a baker. Although he was long dead before I was born, I did get to appreciate his knowledge and skills through my grandmother, his daughter. She was a rather grim woman--definitely not a "granny" or "grandma" sort of grandmother, yet a good woman in her own way--and I have fond memories of childhood summers when visiting her: every morning she made a loaf of bread and used any leftover dough to make a few cinnamon buns. Waking up to the pleasantly yeasty smell of rising bread and the fabulous aroma of just-about-to-be-baked cinnamon buns is something I now feel very nostalgic about. :seeya:

Now you've gone and done it :takeabow: I'm drooling here :floorlaugh: I can actually smell fresh hot bread baking, and cinnamon. I. Want. Bread. And. Cinnamon Buns ! :tantrum:

Now you've gone and done it :takeabow: I'm drooling here :floorlaugh: I can actually smell fresh hot bread baking, and cinnamon. I. Want. Bread. And. Cinnamon Buns ! :tantrum:

Sorry!!!! And I soooo understand! :floorlaugh:

Not lactose intolerant but I don't like butter :blushing: just hate it!! Avoid it as much as I can.

Becky and Neesaki! :snooty:

Since you are both watching your weight, the only cinnamon rolls you are allowed are these (virtual ones). :floorlaugh:

picture.php

Hi Neesaki,

Bread is my downfall, also. I use to make all sorts of wonderful breads, rolls, and cakes, but don't anymore. :(

My mother was a great bread maker. She never made cakes, but she made the most delicious Sicilian pizzas, calzones, homemade pasta, and good Italian food. Her desserts were zeppoli, strufula, and Italian cookies. I was the cake/cookie baker.

This is what her breads looked like: (they were very crusty and fragrant)

picture.php

Her Sicilian pizzas:

picture.php

Her calzones: (stuffed with all sorts of yummys. I especially like the ones she stuffed with escarole, sauteed in garlic and oil- makes me drool just thing of them :yes:)

picture.php

Strufala: (dripping with honey)

picture.php

Zeppoli (fried dough, sprinkled with either powdered sugar or regular sugar)

picture.php

I miss my mother. :(

Good thing no pictures are showing up for me, but all this talk is making me smell fresh bread, cinna rolls, garlic pizza crusts, drooooool

I need to do a carb free diet, but that is definitely my downfall, too
Sigh......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads