SIDEBAR #26- Arias/Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't the next hearing scheduled for Wednesday? I thought I read that a few days ago. Does anyone know what the hearing is about? Will it be the last hearing before September 8th? Has CNN said anymore about the cameras being live? I read there would be a 15 minute delay but then I read none of it would be aired until after the trial. I think after it is over we will all lose interest. I like to see things as they happen or maybe the next day would be okay. I really want to see the murderer question the potential jurors. I can't imagine me sitting there being questioned by someone who savagely took a life and me being on my best manners. Judge would kick me out when I told JA what I think of her defense. Won't this make it hard to find jurors? Gosh, I can imagine so many scenarios and none of them good.

-----------
Hi Rose, We should ask AZ.Lawyer about this. I believe I read eons ago the DP. is not entirely up to any family. I believe JM. also wants DP.. Arias does deserve it, like you I would be satisfied (at this point) to go for LWOP. I also think many are afraid of her someday getting out. I know I am. :loveyou:

Whether to seek the DP is not the decision of the family, but most prosecutors consider the family's wishes. In this case, I think there is a 99.5% chance the DP would be dropped if the Alexander family requested that it be dropped.

Isn't the next hearing scheduled for Wednesday? I thought I read that a few days ago. Does anyone know what the hearing is about? Will it be the last hearing before September 8th? Has CNN said anymore about the cameras being live? I read there would be a 15 minute delay but then I read none of it would be aired until after the trial. I think after it is over we will all lose interest. I like to see things as they happen or maybe the next day would be okay. I really want to see the murderer question the potential jurors. I can't imagine me sitting there being questioned by someone who savagely took a life and me being on my best manners. Judge would kick me out when I told JA what I think of her defense. Won't this make it hard to find jurors? Gosh, I can imagine so many scenarios and none of them good.

I think the next hearing is just a status conference, but in this case that could mean any number of issues will be discussed.

The order re: cameras says nothing from the retrial may be aired until after the verdict is reached. It also says there will be a 15 minute delay if the judge changes her mind and allows airing of anything before then.

Jury selection will no doubt be difficult.

Thanks AZlawyer. So JSS can allow us to view the trial with a 15 minute delay if she so chooses. But does she have only until trial start date to change her mind? I can't see why she would change in the middle of the trial.

Isn't it probable the selection of jurors will be a problem and all the rumors and innuendo throughout the trial will be a nightmare if JSS closes the courtroom to live coverage? I don't understand why there can't be transparency, nor why the Judge chose not to allow cameras. I heard it was at the request of the defense but do we know that? Do you know why?

The only trial I have seen where everyone played to the live cameras was the OJ Simpson trial. That seemed to be a mockery of the justice system, or maybe people weren't accustomed to being on camera.

Are you willing to make an educated guess as to how this penalty phase will go and whether it might be covered live and what sentence JA will receive?

My simple mind believes that JM is fighting so hard for the death penalty because of the severe slaughter of Travis and because Jodi has lied and denied so much and shows no remorse. He knows far more than we know and I think he knows she was planning to kill again. (planning another road trip with a gun and knives). To me, it appears she has pushed the court, the prosecutors, the detectives, and the Alexander family so hard, that no one will back down now. Jmo

"Michael K. Jeanes, Clerk of Court
*** Electronically Filed ***
08/08/2014 8:00 AM (8/4 minutes)

"IT IS FURTHER ORDERED affirming Capital Case Management Conference on
8/13/14 at 8:30 a.m. in this division."

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/082014/m6427527.pdf

Thank you YorN. I would not know how to access those records. I appreciate you doing the leg work and posting this. :)

I always thought Snapped was for those women who lost it at the moment. Jodi didn't snap. She planned and obsessed and premeditated. Then after the fact she planned to kill again. She shouldn't be featured on Snapped where a potential juror might see it. She should be featured on show of probable serial killers. I don't doubt she killed before and that's why some are afraid of her. Jmo.

I agree, since she didn't just "snap," but planned the entire thing, and might have wanted to kill others like the woman Travis was going on vacation with. I'd love to see a Deadly Woman episode with her, just to get Candice de Long's view about her. I think one reason the Alexander family wants the DP is that they are safer if she gets that sentence. If she gets life or LWOP, she might get another prisoner to do a hit on the family when they get out of prison. I agree that she's a potential serial killer, and should spend the rest of her life in a solitary cell such as what death row inmates get. :jail:

I agree, since she didn't just "snap," but planned the entire thing, and might have wanted to kill others like the woman Travis was going on vacation with. I'd love to see a Deadly Woman episode with her, just to get Candice de Long's view about her. I think one reason the Alexander family wants the DP is that they are safer if she gets that sentence. If she gets life or LWOP, she might get another prisoner to do a hit on the family when they get out of prison. I agree that she's a potential serial killer, and should spend the rest of her life in a solitary cell such as what death row inmates get. :jail:
I sure agree with everything you said.

Late last year, Nurmi filed a motion to preclude testimony from Dr. Cheryl Karp. What little we know of Karp's analysis from interviewing Arias is not helpful to her defense. What Arias divulged to this psychologist did not match what she told DeMarte or Samuels. I don't think Nurmi would be seeking to call Karp now, even though Arias might, in order to vindicate herself. We know she would fail but she is driven by a polemic urge.

I was actually all for the DP in this case (I have no problem being the one to inject the needle myself!) till I read about Katiecoolady's own experience. In any case, it's Travis' family that make the decision and we all support them. :) Maybe once Arias hears the words 'We the jury fix the punishment at death' she will realize the gravity of it all.

No, she will be yelling 'It's not fair, it's not fair. I am appealing immediately. I am an artist, contributor to charities and animal lover. It's not fair.' And then she will give the Alexander family the big stink eye and probably run her middle finger across her neck at them.
As she is led out the door in cuffs and shackles, she will look back at everyone and probably spit.

Personally, I think it would be a fine outcome, if the rest of the trial were called off, and she was immediately sentenced to LWOP, with no more fanfare. End of story. Lights out, over and done with.

Personally, I think it would be a fine outcome, if the rest of the trial were called off, and she was immediately sentenced to LWOP, with no more fanfare. End of story. Lights out, over and done with.

I don't know. It just doesn't seem enough.

No, she will be yelling 'It's not fair, it's not fair. I am appealing immediately. I am an artist, contributor to charities and animal lover. It's not fair.' And then she will give the Alexander family the big stink eye and probably run her middle finger across her neck at them.
As she is led out the door in cuffs and shackles, she will look back at everyone and probably spit.

O/T but Kensie, are those flowers in your garden or yard? That picture is so beautiful.

I don't know. It just doesn't seem enough.

The thing about LWOP is that it denies Arias the hope that she may get out of prison someday. That in and of itself is perhaps the worst punishment for her. On the other hand,
being sentenced to death means several opportunities for appeals etc.

BBM Kensie :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

You are too, too funny :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Will she look like this?

[video=youtube;IvSt4P5faEo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvSt4P5faEo[/video]

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

rotfl.gif

How about like this:

[video=youtube;u8E2QK-JfwA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8E2QK-JfwA[/video]

:groucho:

:floorlaugh:

:seeya:

The thing about LWOP is that it denies Arias the hope that she may get out of prison someday. That in and of itself is perhaps the worst punishment for her. On the other hand,
being sentenced to death means several opportunities for appeals etc.

Hi Rose,
i guess my thought is that she receive the harshest punishment. I am not saying to put her to death. But place her there, lock her up 23 hours a day, let her plan her appeals because they will not go forward because she has no grounds. She even admitted the slaughter. Let her grow old alone. She won't get out of prison either way. But in general population she will have her followers and get to draw her art, etc. Let her have hope of getting out...she won't though. She will be alone, surrounded only by persons condemned just as she is. Saddest thing I could ever think of! And I don't wish that on anyone but she is among the worst of the worst, right under the child molestors and killers.

Wondering why Jodi decided to represent herself, especially after she admitted she was “over her head” when she tried to do it before in 2011, I went back and looked at her handwritten motion to fire Nurmi that she filed in October 2013. It does have a hint or two about her thinking.

At first she complains that she hasn’t seen Nurmi in 5 months, he won’t take her phone calls, and he has said she is “not entitled to an attorney who will advocate for her.” She makes it clear she is PO’d about him telling the jury he doesn’t like her (she brings this up several times). Later in the motion, she admits that Nurmi DID visit her but she refused to see him because she “doesn’t trust his advice.” And apparently it’s supposed to bother the judge (or somebody) that she “is left feeling like crap about myself and my future every time I interact with him.”

She claims that Nurmi has a very poor memory (LOL) and that he has forgotten more about the case than he remembers. Here are her examples:

She claims that Nurmi said he did not remember any mention in any of the text messages that Travis had had sex with other people, although there was a communication between Travis and Chaitanya Lay about a rendezvous at his house for sex. Afterward he suggests that Ms. Lay must have been surprised at his skill in bed, to which she concedes.

She also writes that Nurmi “also ‘forgot’ to impeach three State’s witnesses at trial (I do not refer to the one who perjured himself, Esteban Flores, nor the one who changed his testimony from his real findings to fit the theory the State wished to get before the jury, Kevin Horn). Most prominently is Deanna Reid, who, in previous recorded statements, denied she ever had sex with Travis and claimed she believed he was a virgin at the time he died. Then under oath, she testified that she and Travis did have sexual relations (because for the State’s case, it was now important that she admit it, whereas before it was important that she deny it). Mr. Nurmi failed to impeach her credibility for lying on record. Whether this was in fact due to his poor memory or simply a poor strategical decision, I am left to guess because he refused to communicate with me as to why there was no impeachment.”

I think it’s interesting that she refers to things Deanna said “in previous recorded statements” and that Deanna lied “on record.” What are those statements? When and where were they made? What record is she referring to? Were they under oath? And those emails or texts between Travis and Chaitanya Lay – were these communications from accounts that Jodi supposedly hacked into? Assuming they exist at all.

The other interesting thing is her obvious paranoia about Juan Martinez. I’m sure the other inmates in jail encouraged her to believe the State routinely perjures itself and manufactures (or destroys) evidence. Unfortunately, I also believe her attorneys encouraged her belief, perhaps unintentionally, that JM is a diabolical trickster who will do anything to prevent her from getting a fair trial.

We are 243 days in the year, and we have 143 days left in the year.

1772 - Explosive eruption blows 4,000' off Papandayan Java, kills 3,000

1885 - $100,000 raised in US for pedestal for Statue of Liberty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xQdZTMjuKxU

1909 - The American ship Arapahoe became the first to ever use the SOS distress signal off the coast of Cape Hatteras, NC.

1924 - 1st newsreel pictures of US presidential candidates were taken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lASRuU25iyM

1949 - Summer Olympics opens in London

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=j9F4LkHb6_Q

1956 - Elvis Presley releases "Don't Be Cruel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=noE1u3Xu6Vg

1962 - Beach Boys release "Surfin' Safari"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sOg1MxozVPc

and

Neil Sedaka started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Breaking Up Is Hard To Do', his first US No.1 as an artist. It reached No.7 on the UK chart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tbad22CKlB4

1973 - - Paul McCartney's single "Live And Let Die" hit #2 in the U.S.

[video=youtube;KBX2dySWGew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KBX2dySWGew[/video]

1978 - Funeral of Pope Paul VI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J7kKBz2HtDs

1988 - Al Qaeda formed at a meeting in Peshawar, Pakistan.

1989 - Voyager 2 discovers two partial rings around Neptune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3_Ffe_z0WZ8

and

- Bruce Springsteen joined Ringo Starr on stage for four songs ("Get Back," "Long Tall Sally," "Photograph" and "With A Little Help From My Frieng"). John Candy also made an appearance on tambourine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=m5oZqLua884

1992 - - In Bloomington, MN the Mall of America opened. It was the largest shopping mall in the United States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=X-9JELPVirg

2009 - Eunice Kennedy Shriver, sister of President John F. Kennedy and founder of the Special Olympics, died at age 88.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wnMKxEjekMM

Wondering why Jodi decided to represent herself, especially after she admitted she was “over her head” when she tried to do it before in 2011, I went back and looked at her handwritten motion to fire Nurmi that she filed in October 2013. It does have a hint or two about her thinking.

At first she complains that she hasn’t seen Nurmi in 5 months, he won’t take her phone calls, and he has said she is “not entitled to an attorney who will advocate for her.” She makes it clear she is PO’d about him telling the jury he doesn’t like her (she brings this up several times). Later in the motion, she admits that Nurmi DID visit her but she refused to see him because she “doesn’t trust his advice.” And apparently it’s supposed to bother the judge (or somebody) that she “is left feeling like crap about myself and my future every time I interact with him.”

She claims that Nurmi has a very poor memory (LOL) and that he has forgotten more about the case than he remembers. Here are her examples:

She claims that Nurmi said he did not remember any mention in any of the text messages that Travis had had sex with other people, although there was a communication between Travis and Chaitanya Lay about a rendezvous at his house for sex. Afterward he suggests that Ms. Lay must have been surprised at his skill in bed, to which she concedes.

She also writes that Nurmi “also ‘forgot’ to impeach three State’s witnesses at trial (I do not refer to the one who perjured himself, Esteban Flores, nor the one who changed his testimony from his real findings to fit the theory the State wished to get before the jury, Kevin Horn). Most prominently is Deanna Reid, who, in previous recorded statements, denied she ever had sex with Travis and claimed she believed he was a virgin at the time he died. Then under oath, she testified that she and Travis did have sexual relations (because for the State’s case, it was now important that she admit it, whereas before it was important that she deny it). Mr. Nurmi failed to impeach her credibility for lying on record. Whether this was in fact due to his poor memory or simply a poor strategical decision, I am left to guess because he refused to communicate with me as to why there was no impeachment.”

I think it’s interesting that she refers to things Deanna said “in previous recorded statements” and that Deanna lied “on record.” What are those statements? When and where were they made? What record is she referring to? Were they under oath? And those emails or texts between Travis and Chaitanya Lay – were these communications from accounts that Jodi supposedly hacked into? Assuming they exist at all.

The other interesting thing is her obvious paranoia about Juan Martinez. I’m sure the other inmates in jail encouraged her to believe the State routinely perjures itself and manufactures (or destroys) evidence. Unfortunately, I also believe her attorneys encouraged her belief, perhaps unintentionally, that JM is a diabolical trickster who will do anything to prevent her from getting a fair trial.

I never did read Jodi's reasons for wanting to fire Nurmi. But it kind of makes me sick to read what you have quoted here. All she thought about was sex. Who Travis was having sex with, whether he lied, etc. whether it was recorded. None of that mattered to me during the trial. He was single. He could have sex with anyone he wished to. She made herself readily available, recorded their sex conversations, admittedly took naked pictures and then wanted to paint him as a deviate. Truth is, none of that matters one iota. She was never abused. She was just in a jealous rage because she thought she owned him. So she killed him. He didn't kill her. She is sick, twisted and demented. Dring the penalty phase, I don't think the defense (JA) should even be allowed to bring up the fact that Travis was a sexual person at all. It does not matter. IMO, it never did. It is all she has. She loves those memories. She loves to torment. And she would love to torment Deanna. Hopefully the a judge will not allow JA to torment anyone. Just get on with the sentencing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussyDog