SIDEBAR #40 - Arias/Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW. Surprised the Supreme Court did this. I was following this news after the 1 botched one. The state of OK did use the same cocktail for another prisoner not too long ago and it worked fine this time. I think the main issue with the botched one was they had trouble getting IV into veins.

That state was getting very close to executing quite a few more people. I was surprised at how many the state of OK was planning. Wonder if they are having a competition to be like Texas lately.

This is an interesting issue because without letting states use the new combo of drugs then states have to resort to other means.

I wonder why states cant just use what we do for animals in euthenasia. Never have understood why those drugs wont work.

And I have never understood why states cant just give huge amounts of valium or something first just to knock a person out totally before the other drugs that stop the heart.

This seems so easy and yet it is so hard. I dont understand

Here's the low down on the pharmaceuticals used in the DP cocktail:

Manufacturers in this country won't supply them for fear of a boycott by anti-DP consumers. Canadian companies won't budge because they don't support the Death Penalty. And then you have European companies that are connected to US Pharma corporations, and so on, and so on, etc, etc. The last execution using a firing squad was Gary Gilmore in Utah (if that's inaccurate, someone correct me).

If you put your dog down, it runs the gamut of $45-125. Horses $150+. I've had a huge problem with euthanasia but it's all on me, I have had 2nd thoughts as the drugs kicked in ("no, wait, stop, don't do this") and it was a horrible feeling that would nag at me for weeks. For however "tough" I want to believe I am, the few times that I DID use a vet and euthanasia, it tore me up one side and down the other. The last 25 years, I've put them down myself with the caliber that would do the job, returning to the semi farm/ranch childhood way of life I had. If it was an animal I had not dealt with before, I studied and read everything I could so I would not make a mistake. Haven't made a mistake, no suffering, instantaneous, and when I get to the point of picking up a gun, I've thought it out completely. (unless it's an extreme emergency and then I just do what I got to do)

If we can put innocent animals down, who have unconditional love for us, because they're in pain and/or have no hope of recovery, I don't see what the big issue is about taking out an evil human being, who's taken someone's life, by any means possible. Rabid dog, murderer, there's only one thing to do with them. (REAL mental illness the exception, and then only specific illnesses.)

Everyone (exception for the mentally ill or developmentally disabled) in our society knows that killing another human being for profit, during an illegal act, or for the sheer thrill of it, is morally and legally wrong. Anyone who crosses that moral line should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, the exceptions should be institutionalized.

......IMO............

*snip, snip, snip*

Gonna go a little off track here:
I was looking into giving my body to science after I die by way of a anatomical gift program at one of the medical colleges in Albany, NY. I thought it would be a good way to give back and save money for funerals and such for my sons. Well, I think that funerals are a big waste of money- even tho' I know that they are for the family's comfort. Put my body in a plain pine box with my favorite comforter and dress me in a nightgown and slippers and I'm all set to go- maybe all of $200 or so instead of $8000 that was spent on my mother's funeral. Or better yet, go to Aruba instead and mourn me :) .

*snippitysnip*

Now that I think of it, all this fuss for a dead body just pales in comparison to the DP, with someone who is alive- even tho' that person probably shouldn't be allowed to be in the general population anymore. Are these people better off dead? I don't know, but I know they are people, even if they are very evil people, IMO.

Just some thoughts.

*Snipped all over the place by me!*

I came to the conclusion that when I'm dead, I don't care what happens to my body, I'm dead. Whoever is interested can do whatever they want, Viking funeral on the pond, put under a tree on the rez...........I do abhor the whole casket in the concrete box, but whoever has dibs on this carcass can do and spend whatever they want, just don't expect me to have money set aside for them to do it. Don't want a funeral, viewing, graveside service, don't even care about an obit.
I came, I saw, and eventually I'll leave.........hopefully in my sleep or VERY quickly!

I came to the conclusion that when I'm dead, I don't care what happens to my body, I'm dead. Whoever is interested can do whatever they want, Viking funeral on the pond, put under a tree on the rez...........I do abhor the whole casket in the concrete box, but whoever has dibs on this carcass can do and spend whatever they want, just don't expect me to have money set aside for them to do it. Don't want a funeral, viewing, graveside service, don't even care about an obit.
I came, I saw, and eventually I'll leave.........hopefully in my sleep or VERY quickly!

me, too! or cremate me and toss me in my flower gardens..... they could just bury me there and save on the cost, but I don't want LE to hassle them.

My son started school again today and I had the best day.
Had a little nap, posted some tweets on jury selection in the Boston Bombing, read some, had a lunch of crackers and
hot chocolate, watch some crime movies on TCM, posted some here, it was 40 degrees today :) , watched the birds and squirrels eat the seeds I put out for them,
prayed for Det, Flores and his family (funeral was today?).

All-in-all a nice quiet day. :)

(I know. I'm boring :facepalm: )

Glad you had such a nice day Y/N.

I really concentrated at work today and trying to figure out how to fix my mistakes from focusing on this retrial instead of work.

BBM

ITA! My Dad used to joke that he wanted them to sharpen his feet like a fencepost and drive him into the ground. Lord knows he built/repaired enough of them in his lifetime. Ultimately he was cremated. I still miss him terribly.

I think I'd rather spend my money (small though that amount is ) on living rather than on an elaborate funeral.

Jodi Arias: Magic underwear, jury questions, and star State witness sink defense

"It's been another roller coaster week in Maricopa County Superior Court out of Phoenix, Arizona for the retrial of the sentencing phase of the Jodi Arias trial. In a nutshell, after Dr. Geffner and his seemingly four month filibuster of paper shuffling, State zipped through three witnesses in a few hours. And they were good witnesses. Prosecutor for the State Juan Martinez came into the rebuttal phase with his trump card, the beloved Deanna Reid. Before the angels sang hallulujah to the baby Jesus when the defense rested however, it was a process getting there..."

http://www.examiner.com/article/jod...questions-and-star-state-witness-sink-defense
-------------

Did I post this one already- I'm getting so confused with all the articles :scared: :facepalm:

Prosecution begins rebuttal in Jodi Arias retrial

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts-in-jodi-arias-sentencing-retrial/22452161/

I feel like I have to cut and paste bits from all these blogs and news articles to find out what really happened. :-/

Here's the low down on the pharmaceuticals used in the DP cocktail:

Manufacturers in this country won't supply them for fear of a boycott by anti-DP consumers. Canadian companies won't budge because they don't support the Death Penalty. And then you have European companies that are connected to US Pharma corporations, and so on, and so on, etc, etc. The last execution using a firing squad was Gary Gilmore in Utah (if that's inaccurate, someone correct me).

If you put your dog down, it runs the gamut of $45-125. Horses $150+. I've had a huge problem with euthanasia but it's all on me, I have had 2nd thoughts as the drugs kicked in ("no, wait, stop, don't do this") and it was a horrible feeling that would nag at me for weeks. For however "tough" I want to believe I am, the few times that I DID use a vet and euthanasia, it tore me up one side and down the other. The last 25 years, I've put them down myself with the caliber that would do the job, returning to the semi farm/ranch childhood way of life I had. If it was an animal I had not dealt with before, I studied and read everything I could so I would not make a mistake. Haven't made a mistake, no suffering, instantaneous, and when I get to the point of picking up a gun, I've thought it out completely. (unless it's an extreme emergency and then I just do what I got to do)

If we can put innocent animals down, who have unconditional love for us, because they're in pain and/or have no hope of recovery, I don't see what the big issue is about taking out an evil human being, who's taken someone's life, by any means possible. Rabid dog, murderer, there's only one thing to do with them. (REAL mental illness the exception, and then only specific illnesses.)

Everyone (exception for the mentally ill or developmentally disabled) in our society knows that killing another human being for profit, during an illegal act, or for the sheer thrill of it, is morally and legally wrong. Anyone who crosses that moral line should be punished to the fullest extent of the law, the exceptions should be institutionalized.

......IMO............

I'm on my phone so having trouble deleting and bolding what I want.

Re: Gary Gilmour

Talk about ineffective counsel! I recall the song Gary Gilmour's Eyes but I was only ten at the time and I've never followed up on it until now.

Two day trial! Crikey!

And unlike CMJA once the verdict came in he didn't want to fart arse around. Thing is, as he was cremated there's no way to delve deeper in this case.

I hope his attorney got fired. Quit your whinging CMJA! Nurmi is ruddy Ghandi compared to his defence!

Burt Bacharach's pieces performed by Dionne Warwick:

[video=youtube;pLjvcfOVn7A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLjvcfOVn7A&index=1&list=PL1oNiHOnLdyBzhAe CULi7mfi5mt1k7R9P[/video]

You are right Bernina, but also if Nurmi or Willnotshutup starts badgering the Bishop with repeated questions over and over again, he can step in and say asked and answered, which Juan should have done. This attorney will not let them treat the Bishop in this disrespectful way. I have been in court when the Judge has stepped in and told the prosecutor to move on when the clueless public defender just sat there. Judge Stephens is worthless. I wish all the witnesses for Travis had an attorney with them. Juan just doesn't protect his witnesses from this abuse and he should.

I'm sure JM has his reasons for not loudly demanding respect. Mitigation has gone out the window because the defense witnesses and the defense team just keep shooting themselves in the foot by their behavior. DR is basically giving the same testimony as she did before; she probably has an agreement with JM that she'll be fine repeating all that. It will boomerang disastrously: I'm sure their intrusiveness made the DT look nasty and vicious to the jury because they will see that DR is so lovely by contrast and doesn't at all deserve to be humiliated.

Letter to Ryan Burns....

Hhahaha! JA was "somber, calm, and resolute" when she was booked. What novel did she crib this from? Must've been set in the 19th century. "Gone with the Wind"? "Little Women"? "Madame Bovary"? Dickens? An epistolary novel, where the histrionic heroine writes to a dear, dear friend about bidding adieu to her handsome officer? A female prisoner falsely charged with a crime? Someone describing a close call at the gallows? Wouldn't that be ironic!

Now that I read that letter to the end, it's just full of Victorian hilarities like this one!

good-morning-coffee.gif

Link: http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu91/carmmam/Dividers and Spacers/good-morning-coffee.gif
-------------------------------------------

Just this today:

The ****** Arias Penalty Phase Re-Trial – The Superbowl Stopped the Wheels of Justice From Turning

http://reallybigmeandog.com/2015/01...l-stopped-the-wheels-of-justice-from-turning/

--------------------------------

B4sT3MmCYAAJ4ug.jpg

Link: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4sT3MmCYAAJ4ug.jpg

Dr. G's refusal to let the PTSD test be seen has really bugged me. I found this interesting article governmental report describing the difference when using the PTSD test within the forensic context of civil and criminal litigation or for a clinical diagnosis. In clinical diagnosis, the patient is assumed to be honest; not so for a forensic evaluation.

These are just a few snippets from the article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2993515/Post

Traumatic Stress Disorder Within the Forensic Arena.

"The main source of difficulty lies in the clinician's failure to recognize that there are significant differences between clinical and forensic concerns"

"Thus, the relationship in this [forensic] context is quite different: The person is not interviewed as a patient, and there is no assumption on the part of the physician that the interviewee is entirely honest or forthcoming when providing information"

"we believe that a serious attempt to verify the existence of the traumatic event is warranted"

"We know, based on good science, that neither a person's level of confidence in his or her memory nor the level of detail he or she provides when reporting such memories are reliable indicators of truth or accuracy. Thus, at present we recommend mental health professionals and experts refrain from commenting on the ‘accuracy' of memory and refrain from using memories as evidence for objective facts. Unless the reported memories can be paired with valid, corroborative, objective evidence, it is unwise to consider traumatic memories as reliable or valid indicators of external events."

Letter to Ryan Burns....

Hhahaha! JA was "somber, calm, and resolute" when she was booked. What novel did she crib this from? Must've been set in the 19th century. "Gone with the Wind"? "Little Women"? "Madame Bovary"? Dickens? An epistolary novel, where the histrionic heroine writes to a dear, dear friend about bidding adieu to her handsome officer? A female prisoner falsely charged with a crime? Someone describing a close call at the gallows? Wouldn't that be ironic!

Now that I read that letter to the end, it's just full of Victorian hilarities like this one!

.......the "scarlet letter".........:giggle:

Dr. G's refusal to let the PTSD test be seen has really bugged me. I found this interesting article governmental report describing the difference when using the PTSD test within the forensic context of civil and criminal litigation or for a clinical diagnosis. In clinical diagnosis, the patient is assumed to be honest; not so for a forensic evaluation.

These are just a few snippets from the article.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2993515/Post

Traumatic Stress Disorder Within the Forensic Arena.

"The main source of difficulty lies in the clinician's failure to recognize that there are significant differences between clinical and forensic concerns"

"Thus, the relationship in this [forensic] context is quite different: The person is not interviewed as a patient, and there is no assumption on the part of the physician that the interviewee is entirely honest or forthcoming when providing information"

"we believe that a serious attempt to verify the existence of the traumatic event is warranted"

"We know, based on good science, that neither a person's level of confidence in his or her memory nor the level of detail he or she provides when reporting such memories are reliable indicators of truth or accuracy. Thus, at present we recommend mental health professionals and experts refrain from commenting on the ‘accuracy' of memory and refrain from using memories as evidence for objective facts. Unless the reported memories can be paired with valid, corroborative, objective evidence, it is unwise to consider traumatic memories as reliable or valid indicators of external events."

I seriously wish there was a "double thank" button option on here. Maybe someone should send a copy of this to Geffener et.al. for them to refer to if they are ever asked again to testify in criminal court.

Do you all want me to keep posting snippets from Jane Velez-Mitchell's book??

Please let me know on your "Thanks" button, otherwise I won't. Have a few more to post after reading last night!!

Have to make a quick run to the grocery store this morning, so I can watch Novak vs Stan - go Stan!!!

See ya! :seeya:

Do you all want me to keep posting snippets from Jane Velez-Mitchell's book??

Please let me know on your "Thanks" button, otherwise I won't. Have a few more to post after reading last night!!

Have to make a quick run to the grocery store this morning, so I can watch Novak vs Stan - go Stan!!!

See ya! :seeya:

OK by me, if you find interesting snippets. Tho I must say I have found a few "mistakes" or exaggerations in what she wrote that did not quite match transcripts of chats between TA and JA. I have not read her book, so I like comparing it to what I have heard.

Was always kind of wondering if any IT person had checked the log ins on TA's FB, and MS. There's a security setting that let's you see where your account was accessed from. FB has changed it's format, don't know about MS, but it looks like this:

login.jpg

I know I could check my FB accounts from 2005 on. I used the "ambiguous" location, (ie. Phoenix) instead of my actual town, but I know the IP address of the log in could be tracked by FB, and anybody who knows a bit more than general computer skills. You can also end "log in" sessions by clicking the particular session. I could run up 17-18 "active" sessions where I had logged in over several days and even weeks.

"Do you all want me to keep posting snippets from Jane Velez-Mitchell's book??"

I read this.. Thought it was a pretty good book but, I really liked Shanna Hogan's Book *Picture Perfect* The Jodi Arias Story much better. I think just the style of writing was easier to read and maybe more factual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mkmatti