SIDEBAR #57 - Travis Alexander forum

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be, or could be that as well, but TA's outrage and sense of betrayal seemed to hit him on a very personal level, and he seemed to think she was truly morally bankrupt after this. I'm not sure he would have reacted like that just to credit card fraud given his forgiving nature.

Clue? Travis says in the chat- why did you try to cover it up after I told you I knew what you had done?

Definitely suggesting that at least part of what she'd done was done online (they did not text between May 22-25).

Well, I thank you both Hope4More and Spellbound. I have now followed Spellbound's advice for stopping the upgrade and if that is not successful given I have already downloaded it, I will try Hope's suggestions for uninstalling and reverting back to Windows 7.

I may do this 10 upgrade at some point but decided to wait and see how it works for others who have upgraded from Windows 7. So far I have only found upgrades from 8 and since 8 was such a problem for most, the upgrade has been for the most part positive. I run Windows 7 Home Premium and like it a lot so I see no reason to upgrade. I may not have a choice for long and if that turns out to be the case I can do the free upgrade through July of 2016. By then hopefully I can get some feedback on what to expect before I actually have to work with a new system.

:)

I am finally using my Windows 8 machine all the time now since my Vista (LOL) machine finally wore out my hard drive after many years or so of good use.

I think I have successfully turned off windows auto updates on my Windows 8 machine and I may keep it that way. I haven't quite decided yet whether I will ever accept an update or not because I did this method before and eventually it causes trouble.

With my Vista machine when I first got it, right out of the box, I immediately turned off the "Auto Update" feature from Windows and I did not install 1 single update through all those years. LOL

That approach worked fine for me for awhile but what eventually happened was Websites started using new features that my machine had trouble on. So certain websites I could not use. I just avoided them and finally installed a different browswer and the other browser would work for the most part when IE failed.

For this machine Win 8, I also turned off the Auto-Update feature and I may just keep it that way although I may run into the same trouble with this approach as I had before with certain websites or new features on websites not working.

My theory is that since they sold me the operating system with the Win 8 machine it must be pretty solid and I don't need no stinkin updates...LOL

Some claim the updates are for security things they find that they fix but I just make sure I have my Anti-Virus software up to date and have never had a Virus. Ever. I am knocking on wood as I speak...LOL
I use Norton and I love it because it has never failed me yet.

These broken quotes are so confusing lol. They seem to be just on the Side Bar and I am wondering if there is something wrong with this thread when we quote another post. Alas, I get confused pretty easily. Has anyone else had trouble following?

ETA: I sure sound smart in the above post, which is attributed to me, but was written by Steve44. That is good for me, but poor Steve44 if he gets my posts attributed to him lol.

If there's a quoted post in the message you're quoting the software is inserting a string of quote delimiters at the beginning of you're message and attributing the text improperly to the last delimiter. Just delete all the quote delimiters except the first one to correct it. It's some kind of bug.

If there's a quoted post in the message you're quoting the software is inserting a string of quote delimiters at the beginning of you're message and attributing the text improperly to the last delimiter. Just delete all the quote delimiters except the first one to correct it. It's some kind of bug.

Wow. I didn't understand that, but I'm impressed with your grasp of computer-speak. :D

Could you break this down to a fifth grade level please? You lost me at delimiters lol. I don't know what a delimiter is. And can you change your post so it looks like I wrote it? :D

Could you break this down to a fifth grade level please? You lost me at delimiters lol. I don't know what a delimiter is. And can you change your post so it looks like I wrote it? :D

You're on a roll this morning... :skip::thewave:

I am finally using my Windows 8 machine all the time now since my Vista (LOL) machine finally wore out my hard drive after many years or so of good use.

I think I have successfully turned off windows auto updates on my Windows 8 machine and I may keep it that way. I haven't quite decided yet whether I will ever accept an update or not because I did this method before and eventually it causes trouble.

With my Vista machine when I first got it, right out of the box, I immediately turned off the "Auto Update" feature from Windows and I did not install 1 single update through all those years. LOL

That approach worked fine for me for awhile but what eventually happened was Websites started using new features that my machine had trouble on. So certain websites I could not use. I just avoided them and finally installed a different browswer and the other browser would work for the most part when IE failed.

For this machine Win 8, I also turned off the Auto-Update feature and I may just keep it that way although I may run into the same trouble with this approach as I had before with certain websites or new features on websites not working.

My theory is that since they sold me the operating system with the Win 8 machine it must be pretty solid and I don't need no stinkin updates...LOL

Some claim the updates are for security things they find that they fix but I just make sure I have my Anti-Virus software up to date and have never had a Virus. Ever. I am knocking on wood as I speak...LOL
I use Norton and I love it because it has never failed me yet.
I have Win 7 Ultimate and so far haven't been nagged. I'm not accepting any free upgrade to Win 10. Apparently Win 10 is heavy on data mining that will be used as a significant source of income for MS. It's possible to opt out in Win 10 but it must be done deliberately. You're opted in by default.

If I ever upgrade to Win 10 I will opt out.

When you quote a message, at the very top there is a string of characters like this (except with square brackets):

"{QUOTE=Zuri;12231933}" which marks the beginning of the quoted text. The quoted text follows and this is put at the end:

"{/QUOTE}"

Together, they are quote delimiters, they surround the quoted part of your message and cause it to appear in an off-color box in your message. The bug is that when you quote a message with previous quotes in it, the software is putting multiple quote delimiters at the beginning of your message, whereas you only want the first one, which belongs to the person you're actually quoting, so just delete all the ones after the first. The {/QUOTE} at the end can remain the same.

The above message should be attributed to Zuri. She's a genius, but very modest.

When you quote a message, at the very top there is a string of characters like this (except with square brackets):

"{QUOTE=Zuri;12231933}" which marks the beginning of the quoted text. The quoted text follows and this is put at the end:

"{/QUOTE}"

Together, they are quote delimiters, they surround the quoted part of your message and cause it to appear in an off-color box in your message. The bug is that when you quote a message with previous quotes in it, the software is putting multiple quote delimiters at the beginning of your message, whereas you only want the first one, which belongs to the person you're actually quoting, so just delete all the ones after the first. The {/QUOTE} at the end can remain the same.

The above message should be attributed to Zuri. She's a genius, but very modest.

Steve.....brilliant. :)

BTW, if you read back a page or so....KRK may still need knowledgeable assistance with making Window 10 go away on her PC.

I heard a rumor she's offering to overnight brownies to anyone who can prevent MS from forcing win 10 on her. :D

BTW, if you read back a page or so....KRK may still need knowledgeable assistance with making Window 10 go away on her PC.

I heard a rumor she's offering to overnight brownies to anyone who can prevent MS from forcing win 10 on her. :D

I haven't looked into that mess yet, and probably won't until it gets personal. There's probably nothing I could provide that's not already better explained elsewhere on the web already. I mentioned in a previous post MS's apparent motivation for pushing Win 10: data mining. I suggest all user's willing or unwilling google how to opt out.

[video=youtube;Avm3rPgvuLM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avm3rPgvuLM[/video]

"{/QUOTE}"

This is a great explanation. Thanks.

I had to learn to do this and fix certain replies by trial and error a long time ago when I noticed a certain reply did not highlight the original post properly. It happens to me every now and then.

Something surely to get oneself kicked out of WS would be to fake someone's original quote and purposely make it mean, and then reply under it with something like "I cant believe you would say that. How mean of you". :floorlaugh:

This is a great explanation. Thanks.

I had to learn to do this and fix certain replies by trial and error a long time ago when I noticed a certain reply did not highlight the original post properly. It happens to me every now and then.

Something surely to get oneself kicked out of WS would be to fake someone's original quote and purposely make it mean, and then reply under it with something like "I cant believe you would say that. How mean of you". :floorlaugh:
The mods would probably be able to see that there was no such original message, and apply appropriate Karma.

I found this link that seems to describe the Windows 10 being forced on people issue. It has some solutions that may be helpful.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/11/m...ou-dont-want-to-upgrade-heres-how-to-stop-it/

5681b4ebdda630509ae1287606174ebc.jpg

Link: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/56/81/b4/5681b4ebdda630509ae1287606174ebc.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Georgia Man Set to Die for Killing of Mother's Friend

"A Georgia death row inmate is set to be executed in the killing of a close friend of his mother, but his lawyers say he's innocent and that prosecutors used false and misleading testimony to convict him.

Brian Keith Terrell, 47, is scheduled for execution on Tuesday at 7 p.m. at the state prison in Jackson. He was convicted of stealing checks from and then killing John Watson, a good friend of his mother, in 1992..."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/georgia-man-set-die-killing-mothers-friend-35596651

Brian Keith Terrell

"Classification: Murderer
Characteristics: Robbery
Number of victims: 1
Date of murder: June 22, 1992
Date of arrest: Same day
Date of birth: 1968
Victim profile: John Henry Watson, 70
Method of murder: Shooting

http://murderpedia.org/male.T/t/terrell-bryan-keith.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authorities investigate after western Nebraska farmer finds man's body sealed inside a barrel

"..."It's obvious that it was not a suicide, or an accident," he said.

Sheriff Milo Cardenas said there were no signs of trauma on the body, and it appears the man had been dead for only a couple days.
Cardenas said there are no missing people reported in the area..."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/0...estern-nebraska-farmer-finds-man-body-sealed/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man hugged girl, 7, at soccer practice, then killed her :(

"Emma Watson Nowling took a quick break from soccer practice Thursday night to greet a man walking by the sidelines.

"Little Emma went up and gave the guy a hug," Emma's soccer coach, Mario Scicluna, said.

Later that night, that man, Timothy Nelson Obeshaw, shot 7-year-old Emma and her mother, 37-year-old Sharon Elizabeth Watson, in the parking lot of the Taylor Sportsplex before turning his 9mm pistol on himself, according to Taylor police. Authorities described Obeshaw as a family friend..."

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...2/04/child-shot-sports-complex-dies/76791192/
-------------------------------------------------------

'We feel ashamed,' say Pakistani relatives of California shooter

"Estranged relatives of a Pakistani woman involved in a mass shooting in California spoke Sunday of their shame at her crimes, as former classmates and teachers painted a picture of a quiet, religiously conservative student....

http://news.yahoo.com/feel-ashamed-pakistani-relatives-california-shooter-162250501.html

WS thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ardino-Mass-Shooting-2-December-2015-4/page22
------------------------------------------------------------------------

A touching video of what it's like to rejoin the world after 44 years in prison

"After 44 years in prison, Otis Johnson was released at the age of 69 in August 2014 — rejoining a world that now seems almost alien to him..."

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/12/6/9855044/prison-reintegration-otis-johnson
-----------------------------------------------------------

BCSO looking for ‘violent’ felon accidentally released in July

"The Bexar County Sheriff’s Office is looking for a man convicted of aggravated robbery who was accidentally released from a private facility in July.

Arturo Hernandez was sentenced to 18 years in the Texas Department of Corrections for aggravated robbery before he was inadvertently released by GEO-Central Texas Detention Facilities officials on July 15. He is currently wanted for three felony aggravated robbery warrants...."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...elon-accidentally-released-in-july/ar-AAg2fb2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board denies parole to 'San Francisco witch killer'

"SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — One of two so-called "San Francisco witch killers" was denied parole Wednesday, state prison officials said.

A California parole board found Suzan Carson, 73, unfit for early release and scheduled her next parole consideration for 2030, California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation spokesman Luis Patino said.

Carson and her husband were convicted of killing three in Northern California in the 1980s during a drug-fueled religious quest to rid the world of witches. They were each sentenced to 75 years to life..."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/board-denies-parole-to-san-francisco-witch-killer/ar-AAfVKXe
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

State inmates in solitary confinement surpass 4,000 despite vows to limit use

"...And prison advocates say there’s been an increase since this summer, due in large part to backlash from correction officers after the June escape of Richard Matt and David Sweat from the Clinton Correctional Facility upstate.

In response to a federal lawsuit, state correction officials announced in February that they would reduce the use of solitary confinement for pregnant inmates and prisoners under 18. The reforms also included limiting the punishment to 30 days for convicts with developmental disabilities...."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...n=Feed:+NydnRss+(Top+Stories+-+NY+Daily+News)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crime-scene DNA errors spark complex legal questions

"PHOENIX -- Recent admissions by the FBI involving data errors in calculating DNA probabilities are challenging the infallibility of DNA evidence, a science with a longstanding reputation as the forensic gold standard.

Prosecutors and bureau officials say the mistakes will have a minimal effect on criminal cases, but the real impact of the revelations in courtrooms across the country remains to be seen..."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...me-scene-dna-errors-legal-questions/29119501/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gmail Ending? Google Starts Migrating Users

"Something rather interesting is happening at the Gmail.com domain right now. Google has started notifying users of its experimental ‘Inbox By Gmail’ service that this has replaced their Gmail account…

The pop-up appears when Inbox users login and states “Thanks for trying Inbox! To make it easier we’ve updated Gmail to redirect you here”. In plain URL terms this means the standalone inbox.google.com address for the beta service disappears and Inbox instead resides at gmail.com..."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...gmail/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The United States Postal Service will now email you your mail

"The US Postal Service is testing a “notification” service that emails customers images of the envelopes of their letter-size mail.

The service, called Informed Delivery, will send out an email to customers each morning with that day’s mailbox contents. The images are only of the exterior front side, and the mail will not be opened.

Informed Delivery has been live in seven Northern Virginia zip codes since 2014 and is now expanding to the New York City metro area, with more coverage planned in 2016. The service is free, but customers have to sign up online. It is not available to businesses and will not apply to packages, though the agency said it may include scans of catalogs and magazines in the future...."

http://qz.com/566668/the-united-states-postal-service-will-now-email-you-your-mail/?utm_source=YPL
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Santa Isn't Dead! Newspaper Says Sorry For Fake Obituary
Saint Nick passed at the age of 226, according to the announcement in Norway's Aftenposten

"Don't worry, kids, Santa isn't dead!

But a newspaper in Norway is sure to be on this year's naughty list after it accidentally published a fake obituary for Father Christmas.

The hoax announcement in Aftenposten claimed Saint Nick died at the age of 226 in the country's most northern point of Nordkapp on Dec. 3, the BBC reported.

It also revealed his funeral would be held at the North Pole Chapel on Dec. 28, according to the Evening Standard.

His birthdate was given as Dec. 12, 1788 -- but no cause of death was stated..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/santa-claus-dead-father-christmas_56629047e4b079b2818ee268
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this link that seems to describe the Windows 10 being forced on people issue. It has some solutions that may be helpful.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/11/m...ou-dont-want-to-upgrade-heres-how-to-stop-it/

It sounds reasonable to want to make it easier for users to upgrade, but the key phrase is they want "a billion users within 2 or 3 years." That's because date mining is integral to the Win 10 business model, and that requires a large enough database of user information to be available within that time frame, and that's why they are pushing it.

Mark Your Calendar: Five Astronomical Events You Won't Want to Miss This Winter

"...You don't need to be a professional astronomer, or even have a telescope, to catch all of these celestial events...."

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-northern-lights-comet-lunar-eclipse/53923698
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hungarian Holocaust diarist to be named ‘Righteous Among the Nations’

"A Hungarian doctor, whose account of sheltering Jews during World War II is at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, will be named “Righteous Among the Nations,” by Yad Vashem, Israel’s Holocaust remembrance authority, her grandson said.

Maria Kiss Madi, who hid a Jewish friend and the friend’s nephew in her apartment as the Nazis took over Hungary, will receive the honor within the next few months, according to a letter Stephen Walton said he recently got from Yad Vashem.

Yad Vashem honors as “Righteous Among the Nations” non-Jews who risked their lives to save Jews during the Holocaust..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...5347c8-9aa6-11e5-b499-76cbec161973_story.html
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

William McIlvanney, novelist - obituary

"William McIlvanney, who has died a few days after his 79th birthday, was the finest Scottish novelist of his generation.

In his later years he became known as “The Father of Tartan Noir”, and undoubtedly the flowering of Scottish crime fiction over the last quarter-century owes much to the influence of his three novels featuring a Glasgow policeman, Jack Laidlaw (Laidlaw, 1977, The Papers of Tony Veitch, 1983, and Strange Loyalties, 1991). McIlvanney himself was not altogether happy with the accolade. He was concerned with morality, with how people behave and should behave to each other, not with sensation..."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/12035855/William-McIlvanney-novelist-obituary.html

william-mcilvanney.jpg

Link: http://jennybrownassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/william-mcilvanney.jpg

laid_3519380e.jpg

RIP :candle:

(Hey Niner- have you read any of his books?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mojojojo