SIDEBAR #59 - Travis Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hubble Spies Dying Star's Final 'Moments'
The view won't last forever!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...rs-final-moments_us_55bbc5b5e4b06363d5a228c3?

55bbc6a617000026005663d5.jpeg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Your Favorite Songs Can Tell You About The Way Your Brain Works
Are you an empathizer or a systemizer?

"Why do you love certain types of music and hate others? It may come down to the way your brain processes information.

Psychologists already know that music preferences are linked to personality, but a new study finds that your taste in music is also associated with the way you think...

"People’s musical choices seem to be a mirror of who they are," Greenberg said..."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/music-preferences-psychology_55afecf2e4b0a9b948536c02

RESEARCH ARTICLE (if anyone is interested)

Musical Preferences are Linked to Cognitive Styles

David M. Greenberg , Simon Baron-Cohen, David J. Stillwell, Michal Kosinski, Peter J. Rentfrow
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0131151
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25 common American customs that are considered offensive in other countries

"...we've rounded up some of the most common American customs that are seen as offensive elsewhere..."

http://www.businessinsider.com/american-customs-that-are-offensive-abroad-2015-8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Is Pig Pickin' Cake and Where Did it Come From? :thinking:

"Pig Pickin' Cake: The name of this dessert alone confuses most people who weren't born in the South. Is there pork inside of it? Is it savory? Is it meant for pigs?..."

http://www.eater.com/2015/11/8/9675350/what-is-pig-pickin-cake
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Empire State Building Plane Crash 1945

"A Mitchell bomber en route for Newark in fog crashed into the 78th and 79th storeys of the Empire State Building. Thirteen lives, including the crew were lost and many others received burns, injuries and shock."

[video=youtube;5YLWh8Rbp7o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YLWh8Rbp7o[/video]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hindenburg Disaster - real footage of the terrible crash 1937

[video=youtube;rWeO1q0gHJE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWeO1q0gHJE[/video]

Happy Sunday morning all! :wave:

YESorNO - I read yesterday that Jean Stapleton died... :rose:

:seeya:

(snipped)

She did die, but in 2013:

Jean Stapleton Dies at 90

BY STEPHEN M. SILVERMAN 06/01/2013 AT 05:00 PM EDT

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20705565,00.html

Maybe you mean Jean Simmons? :thinking: It was her birthday 1/31:

BORN ON THIS DAY: JEAN SIMMONS

http://greatentertainersarchives.bl...chive+(THE+GREAT+ENTERTAINMENT+MEDIA+ARCHIVE)

Jean-Simmons-in-1959-005.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, my first time in today. I don't feel good!!! wont bore you but honest I'm so tired of this!
My get up and go, got up and went!! Maybe check that one newer trial, might be what I need..
weather is on warm side but rain coming. I enjoy reading about your upcoming trip! Loveya all.
:loveyou:

Hello Nore,

So sorry you are not doing well. I do hope you can get better.

Just wanted to offer some hope and things to think about. Forgive me if I am way off base as I am not sure I understand your particular ailments and just trying to be helpful.

First off....I am really bad about going to a doctor so I am probably not even good person to talk about health issues but wanted to provide an example that happened to me.

I began having real migraines beginning in high school and all through college years. I went to MANY doctors over the years and not 1 doctor diagnosed or helped me right for them. I had seen some really good doctors too and not a one of them helped me.

After suffering with these real migrains for proably 12-15 years, I finally went to a Neurologist by a recommendation from someone and this 1 doctor diagnosed me with real migraines due to genetics and he prescribed me MAXALT medicine. I was at the appointment for 30 minutes, and that appointment saved me as the medicine was a MIRACLE for me. Any time I get a migraine now (still do about 1 migraine a week on average), I just take a maxalt and it knocks it completely out. No pain and no side affects whatsoever.

I still get the migraines but I at least have a way not to suffer as soon as they start.

I suppose what I had learned from that experience was a couple things. I learned that when dealing with a tough medical problem then LOTS of doctors may not give the right advice or the right help. I had to keep trying new doctors until 1 finally helped me. And it took 12-15 years of trying and I had given up many times over those years but finally found 1 by chance. I wasn't as aggressive as I could have been and gave up many times trying to get help for my condition which is understandable. I think back and how I wish I had by chance found that doctor FIRST instead of having to go 12-15 years of dealing with them.

I also learned that my problem is genetic born and wasn't ever going to really get cured but I finally found something that treats the symptoms and that is all I cared about. Just feeling better and getting rid of headache is all I needed.

Some doctors tried to talk me into sinus surgery and all sorts of other "mistakes" which I am glad to never have agreed with them.
I totally understand getting depressed about trying to find a doctor that can help with a certain ailment. It is very depressing when none of them seem to help.

I was so so happy when I at least found a doctor that helped my symptom and when I learned that I didn't have anything to be worried about as far as a brain tumor or anything like that then I am fine with just taking the medicine on an as needed basis. It was years of trial and error for me and I think back and that is exactly what the doctors were doing. They didn't know so they tried things and most never helped. It sure was frustrating and I honestly thought they would never be able to ever help me. I was lucky I suppose to have stumbled into that 1 30 minute appointment with the Neurologist. I had no idea that person would be the 1 to be actually able to help. b

I hope you can find the right doctor to give you some relief for whatever ails you. If they cannot find a specific problem or even if they do and it is not a curable thing then maybe at least they can provide you some medicine for some relief. Some medicine to help you at least feel better.
I wish you all the best.

Oh, and I had a similar experience with curing my Stomach "ulcer" type pains. I went years and years of suffering with stomach pain issues. When I finally stumbled into a store and picked up "Gaviscon" antacid chewables. They were the only thing in the world that cured my stomach issues I would get.

I had previously tried Zantac, Tums, and a multitude of other stomach medicines and Gaviscon was the 1 and only 1 medicine that would knock out my stomach pain.
Don't ask me why it worked. I have no idea and I didn't care why. Just glad I had found something. And this was after I had seen many doctors for that too and not a 1 of them helped me. Well, I take that back. 1 doctor did find something that worked but it knocked me out like a dead horse and I couldn't take it. LOL

Yes or No, I really appreciate all the links you post regarding Solitary Confinement.

I have come to see it as a truly barbaric practice which should be banned. There's got to be a better way of punishing the worst-of-the-worst. And sadly, it isn't used exclusively for those sorts; it's frequently used on run-of-the-mill criminals, often to nightmarish ends. I applaud the President for taking measures to curtail this practice. If extended stays in Solitary aren't "cruel and unusual," I don't know what is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...2471a4-c51d-11e5-b933-31c93021392a_story.html

Here is a story about Jack Powers. (He didn't start out being mentally ill, but he most certainly is now):

Jack Powers is an inmate in the federal Bureau of Prisons convicted of bank robbery and escaping from prison. He spent more than a decade in extreme isolation at the ADX where he amputated his fingers, earlobes, a testicle and his scrotum. He has tried several times to commit suicide. “The world outside is like another planet,” he wrote from ADX. “I feel like I am trapped within a disease.” Powers is a plaintiff in a civil rights lawsuit against the federal government regarding its use of longterm solitary confinement for the mentally ill. — S.G.

http://www.coloradoindependent.com/145073/finally-out-and-among-the-living

Jack Powers tried to escape prison and was put in solitary, which I think was warranted, but not for a decade. :scared: Too long, IMO.

Sometimes criminals need to be in solitary because they are too dangerous to be in the general population. Some criminals cannot be rehabilitated and are very dangerous to everyone, not only to other criminals in prison, but to the prison guards. What other recourse is there to keep others safe?

But, of course again, not for years.

Checked out this site and did a few different tweaks as they suggested and it seems be working ok for now. Thanks for the link, Spell :) No, no new language for me, hard enough time with English :giggle: I did a search on this myself and didn't come up with what you found :) You are good!

ETA: I did notice that I rest my hand on the mouse pad when I type and since I use a mouse instead of the pad, the pad is still active and my NUM LOCK key was on.

BBM I also use a mouse with my laptop and the pad is active; sometimes when I brush my hand/fingers across the pad, funny things happen to my computer. :scared:

I wish there was a way to deactivate the pad, but then if something goes wrong with the mouse, how would you use the laptop in the meantime? :thinking:

Jack Powers tried to escape prison and was put in solitary, which I think was warranted, but not for a decade. :scared: Too long, IMO.

Sometimes criminals need to be in solitary because they are too dangerous to be in the general population. Some criminals cannot be rehabilitated and are very dangerous to everyone, not only to other criminals in prison, but to the prison guards. What other recourse is there to keep others safe?

But, of course again, not for years.

I think sometimes we think of solitary as being in a dungeon type cell in the dark.

Some were probably like that years ago and maybe even some prisons have "the hole" like that even today. But for the most part I think I saw a documentary once that showed some at a certain prison and it really was just a wall of cells that were special.

They had no bars and a steel door where food would be passed through the front to them.
So it wasn't anything like I had thought. It was basically another cell except they had solid walls.

I guess that is bad enough being surrounded by walls only. I do think some prisoners have to be forced to be separated from others for safety reasons. Wondering why they cannot have bar type cells though since they would be by themselves. Maybe because they throw things threw the bars at the guards. I do know some of them do that as I saw that too on the documentary. 1 guy actually admitted he would throw stuff the first chance he got.

This is a hot button issue for me. No Pell Grants for Prisoners. Period. My father was the one who brought it to the attention of Senators Pell and Biden that Pell grants were being granted to prisoners. Senator Pell had no idea as that was not his intent in the late 80's and 90's. Why should prisoners be ENTITLED to a higher education when WE have to take out loans for our kids OR they take them out and are faced with years of payments. IMOO.
http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015...rants-for-prisoners-an-old-argument-revisited

BBM That's a thorn in my side also.

My younger son is not looking forward to paying for his loan for grad school.
He will graduate this Spring and then 6 months after, the payments start. :scared:
I'm hoping he will get a job soon after he graduates ('cause I don't have the money to help pay the bill- not that it's my responsibility, but because I feel bad that he
will have to start out with bills when he is so young and just starting out in life :( ).

:praying:

BBM I also use a mouse with my laptop and the pad is active; sometimes when I brush my hand/fingers across the pad, funny things happen to my computer. :scared:

I wish there was a way to deactivate the pad, but then if something goes wrong with the mouse, how would you use the laptop in the meantime? :thinking:

Good points.

Some laptops have a "Function Key" such as pressing Fn and F7 simultaneously but you have to remember how to turn it back on if needed.

Attached is a link describing exactly what you are describing. You are right that when typing the thing goes haywire sometimes as my hand brushes against the laptops internal mousepad and I don't intend to use since I use external mouse.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241048/how_to_disable_your_laptop_touchpad.html

Hello Nore,

So sorry you are not doing well. I do hope you can get better.

Just wanted to offer some hope and things to think about. Forgive me if I am way off base as I am not sure I understand your particular ailments and just trying to be helpful.

First off....I am really bad about going to a doctor so I am probably not even good person to talk about health issues but wanted to provide an example that happened to me.

I began having real migraines beginning in high school and all through college years. I went to MANY doctors over the years and not 1 doctor diagnosed or helped me right for them. I had seen some really good doctors too and not a one of them helped me.

After suffering with these real migrains for proably 12-15 years, I finally went to a Neurologist by a recommendation from someone and this 1 doctor diagnosed me with real migraines due to genetics and he prescribed me MAXALT medicine. I was at the appointment for 30 minutes, and that appointment saved me as the medicine was a MIRACLE for me. Any time I get a migraine now (still do about 1 migraine a week on average), I just take a maxalt and it knocks it completely out. No pain and no side affects whatsoever.

I still get the migraines but I at least have a way not to suffer as soon as they start.

I suppose what I had learned from that experience was a couple things. I learned that when dealing with a tough medical problem then LOTS of doctors may not give the right advice or the right help. I had to keep trying new doctors until 1 finally helped me. And it took 12-15 years of trying and I had given up many times over those years but finally found 1 by chance. I wasn't as aggressive as I could have been and gave up many times trying to get help for my condition which is understandable. I think back and how I wish I had by chance found that doctor FIRST instead of having to go 12-15 years of dealing with them.

I also learned that my problem is genetic born and wasn't ever going to really get cured but I finally found something that treats the symptoms and that is all I cared about. Just feeling better and getting rid of headache is all I needed.

Some doctors tried to talk me into sinus surgery and all sorts of other "mistakes" which I am glad to never have agreed with them.
I totally understand getting depressed about trying to find a doctor that can help with a certain ailment. It is very depressing when none of them seem to help.

I was so so happy when I at least found a doctor that helped my symptom and when I learned that I didn't have anything to be worried about as far as a brain tumor or anything like that then I am fine with just taking the medicine on an as needed basis. It was years of trial and error for me and I think back and that is exactly what the doctors were doing. They didn't know so they tried things and most never helped. It sure was frustrating and I honestly thought they would never be able to ever help me. I was lucky I suppose to have stumbled into that 1 30 minute appointment with the Neurologist. I had no idea that person would be the 1 to be actually able to help. b

I hope you can find the right doctor to give you some relief for whatever ails you. If they cannot find a specific problem or even if they do and it is not a curable thing then maybe at least they can provide you some medicine for some relief. Some medicine to help you at least feel better.
I wish you all the best.

Oh, and I had a similar experience with curing my Stomach "ulcer" type pains. I went years and years of suffering with stomach pain issues. When I finally stumbled into a store and picked up "Gaviscon" antacid chewables. They were the only thing in the world that cured my stomach issues I would get.

I had previously tried Zantac, Tums, and a multitude of other stomach medicines and Gaviscon was the 1 and only 1 medicine that would knock out my stomach pain.
Don't ask me why it worked. I have no idea and I didn't care why. Just glad I had found something. And this was after I had seen many doctors for that too and not a 1 of them helped me. Well, I take that back. 1 doctor did find something that worked but it knocked me out like a dead horse and I couldn't take it. LOL

On your stomach problems- did any of your Mds test you for H. pylori infection? It is the cause for many stomach problems.
Both my DH and I have had it and had to take an antibiotic to cure it.

H. pylori infection

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/h-pylori/basics/definition/con-20030903

Good points.

Some laptops have a "Function Key" such as pressing Fn and F7 simultaneously but you have to remember how to turn it back on if needed.

Attached is a link describing exactly what you are describing. You are right that when typing the thing goes haywire sometimes as my hand brushes against the laptops internal mousepad and I don't intend to use since I use external mouse.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/241048/how_to_disable_your_laptop_touchpad.html

Thanks for that article- I will have to see if it works. :)

On your stomach problems- did any of your Mds test you for H. pylori infection? It is the cause for many stomach problems.
Both my DH and I have had it and had to take an antibiotic to cure it.

H. pylori infection

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/h-pylori/basics/definition/con-20030903

No, I don't believe they ever tried me with antibiotics for that. I luckily don't get my stomach pains anymore that much. I will still occasionally get a mild stomach pain when I get too stressed out and then I just chew up a few Gaviscon antacid tablets which takes care of it. Which is why I think too much stomach acid for me was my main issue which ended up causing real sores on my stomach.

Back before I had found Gaviscon on my own some doctors thought for sure I had an ulcer which could have developed from having too much acid in my stomach. They even ran a scope down my throat to my stomach to look around and found sore spots on the lining of my stomach which made sense since that is what it felt like. Like knife sticking me in stomach. They were really bad at the time. I literally would bend over and had to stay in that position because it hurt too much to straighten out. So I would lay in a bed with knees pulled up to my chin to try to stop the pain. I would lay there for hours until the pain would somehow go away on its own.

Once I found the Antacid GAVISCON it was like a miracle cure for me as it neutralized the acidity in my stomach after about 30 minutes of taking it. But I would have to chew a lot of tablets. I would chew about 8 of them and it would cure it.

The really strange thing is no other Antacid tablets worked. It was so bizarre how other antacids did not help cure those pains. Something about Gaviscon was the only one that worked. Really bizarre as other types had similar ingredients. It didn't make a whole lot of sense but I wasn't asking any questions once I found something that worked.

I only get them now when I get really stressed out which makes sense because I think my stomach secretes more acid when under stress.

I luckily don't get them hardly at all anymore. Just mild ones every once in a while.

Also it was interesting that back then my Mom would tell me to drink milk and it would make it ten times worse. Which is how I finally learned I was also Lactose intolerant. The milk was the worse thing for my stomach pains as it made it worse. LOL

My mom was so frustrated as well as myself. She almost didn't believe me about the pains. I got them too often and no doctor was helping.

Hey! :wave:

Oh Niner you are so sweet!! Love the card :heartbeat:
Love the pic of your twin sisters and I even love ole One-eyed Jack. What great pics, thanks for sharing :loveyou:

ETA mark out clean the computer on the 8th...and replace it with my birthday :wink:
Cuz, I "aint cleanin" nothing :lol:

One-Eyed Jack got his name, as he only has one eye. He came in my Father's clinic as a kitty as his mother had punctured his eye when she had tried to pick him up. The lady didn't want him anymore, so my Father did the eye removal surgery and kept him.

(snipped)

She did die, but in 2013:

Jean Stapleton Dies at 90

BY STEPHEN M. SILVERMAN 06/01/2013 AT 05:00 PM EDT

I saw it on Facebook - must have been an old post brought up again from someone... Thanks for the info!

snipped by me...

Once I found the Antacid GAVISCON it was like a miracle cure for me as it neutralized the acidity in my stomach after about 30 minutes of taking it. But I would have to chew a lot of tablets. I would chew about 8 of them and it would cure it.

The really strange thing is no other Antacid tablets worked. It was so bizarre how other antacids did not help cure those pains. Something about Gaviscon was the only one that worked. Really bizarre as other types had similar ingredients. It didn't make a whole lot of sense but I wasn't asking any questions once I found something that worked.

Maybe you should read the ingredients and "see" if there is something in the Gaviscon that isn't in the other ones... Just an idea! :D

Signing off for the night! Going to watch "Bridge of Spies".

:seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member