SIDEBAR #59 - Travis Alexander forum

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a rough few days...as most of you know my son is a raging alcoholic. Seems he drank almost 2 fifths of vodka in a 24 hour period and had alcoholic poisoning, on top of that he is a diabetic (very severe) and his blood sugar levels were in the 900's. He went into a diabetic coma. It's been touch and go. They don't give him much of a chance of recovering. It has damaged his heart and he will need heart surgery as soon as they think he can survive the surgery.

coffeej, I am so very sorry, and also sad. My adult son is also an alcoholic. It is so heartbreaking to have to sit back while they destroy their lives and health. I send Jingles and love and much support to you and your family. :grouphug:

I am always here if you need a PM pal.

CJ, I am so sorry to hear this. Keep us updated and know we're all here for you.

Been a rough few days...as most of you know my son is a raging alcoholic. Seems he drank almost 2 fifths of vodka in a 24 hour period and had alcoholic poisoning, on top of that he is a diabetic (very severe) and his blood sugar levels were in the 900's. He went into a diabetic coma. It's been touch and go. They don't give him much of a chance of recovering. It has damaged his heart and he will need heart surgery as soon as they think he can survive the surgery.

So sorry to hear. From reading other's comments it seems a lot of us have dealt with or are still dealing with similar issues with family members or friends. I also have a close relative who is a bad alcoholic and we have gone through very tough times with this person.

It is very tough and I know all too well the frustration and feelings of hopelessness with trying to be of any help.

Very sorry to hear that things have gotten really bad. Unfortunately health issues begin to happen when they elect to destroy their bodies with alcohol or drugs or both as in my relative. Sometimes all we can do is pray for the person. We here on SB will keep him and you and your family in our prayers.

Thank you so very much :grouphug: I came home late last night, I needed the rest. Will go back this afternoon some time. I'm exhausted!

I am a Mother and this tearing me apart. I try so hard staying strong for the others, but, I've about reached the end of my rope. I want to scream, rant, shout, kick something....

I am a Mother and this tearing me apart. I try so hard staying strong for the others, but, I've about reached the end of my rope. I want to scream, rant, shout, kick something....
CJ I am sorry and will pray for you. Everyone is right...watching a loved one in this shape is horrible. Please take care of you first. Hugs.

:therethere: sweet CF

I know objectivity goes out the window in matters of addiction when it’s your own son because you love him no matter what. You/we have to learn to accept your/our own feelings of helplessness in addictions of any kind and the aftermath of those addictions.

Have you gone to Alanon to get help for yourself and your family?

Love yourself for being a good parent (and there is no doubt in my mind that you are). Parents truly do the best they can, but should not hold themselves accountable for the poor choices of their adult children. Once you become a parent, that role has no end point. However, the responsibilities of that role definitely shift over time as a child matures. They lessen, not expand. Loving yourself and accepting your limits will keep you from spiraling down as a result of your child's choices.

Of course, with the situation the way it is now with your son being very sick, all you can do now is leave it in the hands of whatever higher being you believe in and just pray for him. :sigh:

But I know I cannot help you in any way now- I will stop talking- my prayers are with you and your family.

May God bless you all in your darkest hours.

:blowkiss:

:hug:

Oh CJ, I am keeping you and your son in my prayers. Please know that you are allowed to scream, rant, shout, kick something (maybe a pillow?), and let all of the range of emotions you are feeling out. There's no handbook on how to react or feel in this situation. You are a wonderful mother and i am praying hard.

--------
Go ahead CJ. rant rave kick, scream. I did. Mine wasn't alcoholic but laid for 3 1/2 years unable to move anything but his eyes. He "spoke" with his eyes. Who says young people cant have a major stroke? Feb. 24th is the anniversary of his death.I hate this month. I still cry and hard! The only thing I asked God for in my youth, a family. He took them both back. Scream all you want,It's your right! My mom was alcoholic also. I could not cry when she passed, she was with Dad and happy at last. BUT a child is so different...(((hugs))).

CJ, I am so sorry for you, your family and your son. There are no adequate words to express my thoughts to you, especially as a mother. I feel your pain, despair, anger and utter helplessness. I hope your son can come through this, be strong enough to have the surgery, and never touch another drop of alcohol for the rest of his life.

Sending you hugs, jingles and prayers for you and yours. Hoping and praying for the best outcome for your son. Xo

--------
Go ahead CJ. rant rave kick, scream. I did. Mine wasn't alcoholic but laid for 3 1/2 years unable to move anything but his eyes. He "spoke" with his eyes. Who says young people cant have a major stroke? Feb. 24th is the anniversary of his death.I hate this month. I still cry and hard! The only thing I asked God for in my youth, a family. He took them both back. Scream all you want,It's your right! My mom was alcoholic also. I could not cry when she passed, she was with Dad and happy at last. BUT a child is so different...(((hugs))).
I'm so sorry Nore. I lost a 44 year old friend Monday. I always thought I'd see him again. I can't even imagine that from the perspective of a mother. Hugs to you too.

hello-smiley.gif
everyone!

YESorNO said:
snipped by me...
Death Penalty - The Only Justice for Killers?

"...The compelling question is: if justice is served by putting a murderer to death, in what way is it served? As you will see, both sides offer strong arguments. With which do you agree?.."

ya-smiley.gif
That would be a yes...

YESorNO said:
snipped by me...
"...Used bookstores, with their quintessential quirkiness, eclectic inventory and cheap prices, find themselves in the catbird seat as the pendulum eases back toward print. In many cities, that’s a de facto position: They’re the only book outlets left..."

We still have a little book store in town here! :happydance: When I thought we were moving to Latvia, I gathered all my books and took them down there - they bought a few of them, and the rest I took to a Thrift shop. The Huz would NOT let me take my books, but I did keep a couple of them, that I don't recall reading! :lol:

YESorNO said:
snipped by me...
After 82 years, woman meets daughter she had to give up (with clip)

"(CNN)Some adopted children spend years looking for their birth parents.

It took Betty Morrell decades -- five, to be exact. But she was recently reunited with the woman who gave birth to her 82 years ago, according to CNN affiliate WBNG.

The mother and daughter met for the first time in more than eight decades last month in the lobby of the Greater Binghamton Airport in Binghamton, New York.

"It seems like it's unbelievable," Morrell's birth mother, Lena Pierce, told WBNG.

I saw this on the news the other day... I too got lucky - with "closed" records, I still found my daughter!

I sent the article on Windows 10 to the Huz, to see if he has to do anything to my laptop...

YESorNO said:
snipped by me...
I pre-ordered it in July and I'm waiting, waiting :waiting: :waiting:

Hope it doesn't take weeks to get it when it's finally issued. :(
:juanettes: :juanettes: :juanettas: :juanettes:

Well - I believe you have 12 more days to wait... :waiting:

okay - you made go look to see if Jeffrey Toobin's book "Run of His Life" was in my library... it is... guess I'll read it! :) :book: I watched this whole thing on TV at the time too. So "what" is the "new" discoveries in this movie? Can you tell us?!! :D

YESorNO said:
Guess I'm talking to myself tonight :facepalm:

No you're not! Some of us just come in later... Like me! :skip: I believe we ALL appreciate all your posts and articles you post for us!!

coffeejunkie said:

Oh coffeejunkie! :hug: Sending a LOT of prayers your way! And JINGLES!! to your son for recovery.... Please take care of yourself, too! another :hug: for you!

Nore said:

:grouphug: Nore!

Sorry - another long post...

bye-smiley.gif

Happy-Birthday-Mrs.-Parks.jpg

Link: http://www.rosaparks.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Happy-Birthday-Mrs.-Parks.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosa Parks’ journey as a civil rights icon

"On the occasion of Rosa Park’s birthday, Constitution Daily looks at her journey from a childhood in the segregated south to her enduring status as a civil rights icon...."

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2016/02/rosa-parks-journey-as-a-civil-rights-icon/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3fa7d40980d5024075f7a1eb81e8ed67.jpg

Link: http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/3f/a7/d4/3fa7d40980d5024075f7a1eb81e8ed67.jpg
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1390706425.jpg

Link: http://sierrasrosaparks.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/3/4/24346193/1390706425.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:bdsong:

Niner

Here are the rest of the upcoming episodes of the OJ movie:

2 Feb 9 "The Run of His Life"
3 Feb 16 "The Dream Team"
4 Feb 23 "100% Not Guilty"
5 Mar 1 "The Race Card"
6 Mar 8 "Marcia, Marcia, Marcia"
7 Mar 15 "TBA"
8 Mar 22 "TBA"
9 Mar 29 "TBA"
10 Apr 5 "TBA"
========================================================

I had to refresh my memory of the OJ trial. If you reread my previous post about the movie, :slap: , the one thing I didn't know was that OJ threatened to kill himself in one of the Kardasian's bedroom. :bang:

Something I had forgotten/never knew???:thinking::

"...Evidence not presented to the jury

Former NFL player and pastor Rosey Grier visited Simpson at the Los Angeles County Jail in the days following the murders. A jailhouse guard, Jeff Stuart, testified to Judge Ito that at one point Simpson yelled to Grier that he "didn't mean to do it", after which Grier had urged Simpson to come clean.[5] Ito ruled that the evidence was hearsay and could not be allowed in court.[5]...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._J._Simpson_murder_case
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been trying to get rid of my books- so far only 6 are slotted to go to the hospice thrift store (but I bought 2 more- JM's and KN's- :sheesh:). Only 100 or so more to go.:sigh:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another article about Windows 10 for your DH: :pcguru:

Automatic Windows 10 installs begin but how easy are they to stop?

"From Monday this week Windows 10 will automatically begin installing on many home machines running Windows 7 and 8.1. :scared:

Windows users will be able to stop the installation, as they will need to confirm they want the free upgrade to Windows 10 to continue.

But while it can be refused, the upgrade may repeatedly try to install itself on Windows 7 and 8.1 machines.

This marks the start of a new phase in the rollout of Windows 10: Microsoft has changed the status of the upgrade to that of a "recommended" update, which consumer Windows 7 and 8.1 machines typically attempt to install automatically on a regular basis.

When asked whether a Windows 7 and 8.1 machine will attempt to begin the install again after it's been declined, a Microsoft spokesman did not answer the question directly - stating only that users will be able to stop Windows 10 from installing by changing their Windows Update settings..."

http://www.techrepublic.com/article...installs-begin-but-how-easy-are-they-to-stop/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is your DH feeling?

CJ, I am so sorry you're going through such a hard time.

I can only reiterate what others here have stated: You have our undying love, empathy and support. I hope you can draw some measure of strength from that knowledge. :praying:

Y/N ... thank you for the list of the OJ dates for the series.

We have found it very difficult to find a good home for many of our books. Some have gone to resale shops, some to a school counsellor, some to library sales. Hubby's war histories and books about planes/ships/tanks are too good to just toss, so we are always looking for a guy who has a similar interest. Many of those did sell at our yard sale. We still have at least six or seven huge bookcases filled. I would like to get it down to one .... fat chance.

That ink blot looked like two guys in front of an airplane.

It's amazing how our kids can affect us. I always hate when my kids hurt--i hurt as well. You are in.my prayers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member