Small Details that are interesting in the Cooper Harris case, #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooo, you can bet David Diamond will be called as an expert to testify. He was just in Australia...

"Professor David Diamond was called as an expert witness in the trial and says these cases are more common than people might think."

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2014/s4053707.htm

All posts are MOO

Yeah, Dr. Diamond is pretty much the goto guy in these cases. He's been doing it for about 10 years – I believe Lyn Balfour was his first case.

And sure enough, JP was found not guilty.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ten-in-a-hot-car/story-fni0fee2-1227000198424

In this case the mom went to pick up takeout food with her baby and 6-year-old son. The son was sitting in the front seat for the first time and she claimed she thought the the baby was home sleeping in her bedroom. That's it. That's all it took to convince a jury that she didn't mean to forget, it just happened.

A concern I have is that Dr. Diamond is gradually shifting from researcher to paid expert defense witness. In the Balfour case there were many things at play when she forgot her baby. Not so much in this case. That tells me he's not beyond tailoring his theory to fit the facts when he's on the witness stand.

:moo:

I'm going to amend my previous statement to add that a single expert witness won't convince a jury that a parent who leaves their baby in a hot car simply forgot. The investigators are crucial to the case as are the actions and reactions of the parent.

It's the sum total of all the information and observations that tells the story. That's what makes RH's case so unusual and suspicious: so far the parts are adding up to tell a very sinister story. Unless there's exculpatory evidence that we don't yet know about I just can't see a happy ending for him.

Pretty sure this one was deliberate. "She'll be okay. We'll just be there a few" type of thing.

sorry for the Off Topic but it's STILL happening?!?! What does it take? how many stories do people have to read before it sinks in??

http://abc7.com/news/fullerton-couple-left-daughter-3-in-hot-van-/224462/

That poor girl could have been #19 for this year :maddening: Bad luck that the child has 2 parents that stupid, all because they wanted something at the mall but couldn't be bothered to bring her in with them. I guess it didn't occur to them for one to wait in a running, air conditioned car while the other ran into the mall? :gaah:

It sure was nice to see that picture with both of them handcuffed.

Justin Ross Harris did not call 911. Is there a recording of his voice in the background during the 911 call that was made?

Bryce Balfour was forgotten by his mother, Lyn, in the hot car. Contrast Lyn's on-scene reaction to JRH's.

"I wound up putting her on the stand in a different way," he [Balfour's lawyer, Zwerling] says, "so people could see the real Lyn -- vulnerable, with no guile, no posturing."

What Zwerling did was play two audiotapes for the jury. One was Balfour's interrogation by police in the hospital about an hour after Bryce's death; her answers are immeasurably sad, almost unintelligible, half sob, half whisper: "I killed my baby," she says tremulously. "Oh, God, I'm so sorry."

The second tape was a call to 911 made by a passerby, in those first few seconds after Balfour discovered the body and beseeched a stranger to summon help. It was seconds later that the passerby called 911.

The tape is unendurable. Mostly, you hear a woman's voice, tense but precise, explaining to a police dispatcher what she is seeing. Initially, there's nothing in the background. Then Balfour howls at the top of her lungs, "OH, MY GOD, NOOOO!"

Then, for a few seconds, nothing. Then a deafening shriek: "NO, NO, PLEASE, NO!!!" Three more seconds, then: "PLEASE, GOD, NO, PLEASE!!!"

What is happening is that Balfour is administering CPR. At that moment, she recalls, she felt like two people occupying one body: Lyn, the crisply efficient certified combat lifesaver, and Lyn, the incompetent mother who would never again know happiness. Breathe, compress, breathe, compress. Each time that she came up for air, she lost it. Then, back to the patient.

After hearing this tape, the jury deliberated for all of 90 minutes, including time for lunch. The not-guilty verdict was unanimous.

http://www.pulitzer.org/works/2010-Feature-Writing

Sleep deprivation won't be believed in RH's case because he laid in bed watching cartoons before leisurely moving on over to breakfast and then the office at 9:30.

JMO

And if he did suffer from sleep deprivation, it certainly did not curtail his sexting. Maybe it only curtails your **primary** responsibilities in life?

And if he did suffer from sleep deprivation, it certainly did not curtail his sexting. Maybe it only curtails your **primary** responsibilities in life?

Sleep deprivation? :naughty:

Soul deprivation? :discuss:

Guess it's not that uncommon for both parents to forget......In case you didn't see this one: CNN Legal Analyst Sunny Hostin describes the time she forgot her child in her car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSpQwIjy60A

Um, I don't think I'd call that uncommon. That's two cases, if we multiply that by 1,000, that's still not COMMON, based on the number of couples who go in to public with their infants/toddlers.

Um, I don't think I'd call that uncommon. That's two cases, if we multiply that by 1,000, that's still not COMMON, based on the number of couples who go in to public with their infants/toddlers.

I was being facetious................................:slap:

Pretty sure this one was deliberate. "She'll be okay. We'll just be there a few" type of thing.

My personal feeling is that most of these cases are deliberate. And if not doing it to intentionally cause death, the parents are certainly INTENTIONALLY leaving their kids in the car while they shop. So they deserve prosecution. But since parents are not held responsible for hot car cooking, parents like these will try to use this as a defense over and over.

Maybe some parents need to hang a "Baby On Board" sign on their rear view mirror facing them so that it helps them to remember (or like I posted on another thread, put a clothes pin on their nose or a Halloween clown nose on 'cause I'm sure they wouldn't forget to exit the car sporting that---and perhaps it will remind them of their precious child).

Heck, whatever it takes! :scared:

moo

Quoting myself here. So out of the 18 deaths listed this year, there was a 3, two 4 year olds and two 5 year olds. None of them were forgotten baby syndrome, they were all kids that climbed into cars while unattended, and died before they were found, with the exception of the 3 year old, who died at the hospital later. It seems like the heat takes over, the kids get tired, disoriented and then either vomit, have seizures or pass out... These are all unbuckled kids, old enough to unlock and open doors, honk the horn, etc, sadly, the heat gets to them before they can do anything about the situation they're in. One child did have autism and one had Down's syndrome.

I do recall reading a story about a hot car death and "forgotten baby syndrome," where a dad thought he dropped his child off at the child care provider. He heard his car alarm go off several times and from his office window he deactivated it with his key clicker, only to go out after work to find his child dead in the vehicle.

How are 3- 4-and 5- year olds left to their own devices long enough to climb into an unattended vehicle NOT victims of at the very least, neglect?

If children could care for themselves, parents would not be necessary. But surprise! They NEED parents. It's your job as a parent to be aware of your children at all times. Sorry if Farmville or CandyCrush are more funner, but FFS, you have CHILDREN.

PLEASE, parent those children.

ETA: not directed at HippieMom, whom I really like. Just a general observation regarding absolution of negligence.

My personal feeling is that most of these cases are deliberate. And if not doing it to intentionally cause death, the parents are certainly INTENTIONALLY leaving their kids in the car while they shop. So they deserve prosecution. But since parents are not held responsible for hot car cooking, parents like these will try to use this as a defense over and over.

Are the parent(s) mastermind criminals or is LE in all those cases just incompetent? Are they do not doing any sort of investigation? I don't think it is that easy to intentionally murder your child and convince LE it was an accident. If you think that LE will easily buy your story, how likely are you to put much effort into the coverup? Look at how Ross didn't worry about his cell phone records, camera footage, search history, etc.

How are 3- 4-and 5- year olds left to their own devices long enough to climb into an unattended vehicle NOT victims of at the very least, neglect?

If children could care for themselves, parents would not be necessary. But surprise! They NEED parents. It's your job as a parent to be aware of your children at all times. Sorry if Farmville or CandyCrush are more funner, but FFS, you have CHILDREN.

PLEASE, parent those children.

A million times this ^^^^^

:tyou: EvilSoup! It's so sad to me that you even have to type those words. Sadly, these cases are happening more and more frequently. Parents were just arrested in Brea after leaving their three year old in a hot car, while they shopped in an air conditioned mall. :thud:

Emergency workers responded and were able to talk her through unlocking the doors to safety. Thank God she's going to be ok! I can't get past the fact that one of them could have stayed with her, with the AC on, or that they could have taken her with them! Instead they left her behind in over 100+ temps - and this was for less than an hour....

http://ktla.com/2014/07/27/parents-...-hot-car-while-they-went-to-mall-brea-police/

In my mind, I kept thinking of Cooper, who suffered for hours until he died! :cry:

It's just SO. WRONG!

:tantrum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members