So sad: Man, 70 puts ad in paper, just wants a friend

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I speak to Dennis by telephone often, as do others here. I am convinced he is a 70 year old man, and possibly looking for a date, as well. His voice does not sound young, but not really old either. His factual accounts of historical things witnessed during his lifetime lead me to believe he is definitely 70, and also the reporter would not have run the original story had he been younger and said he was older, if it were not true.

It has come to light now that possibly his short term memory is not working too well, anymore.

He may have found your card and not even realized who he was replying to.
Try and overlook this one, if you can. He is so sad and lonely, and I know the cards and calls have helped a lot to cheer him up, even if he cannot remember who they are from.

God bless you DuckFeet, Lanie

WasBlind said:
I speak to Dennis by telephone often, as do others here. I am convinced he is a 70 year old man, and possibly looking for a date, as well. His voice does not sound young, but not really old either. His factual accounts of historical things witnessed during his lifetime lead me to believe he is definitely 70, and also the reporter would not have run the original story had he been younger and said he was older, if it were not true.

It has come to light now that possibly his short term memory is not working too well, anymore.

Try and overlook this one, if you can. He is so sad and lonely, and I know the cards and calls have helped a lot to cheer him up, even if he cannot remember who they are from.

Lanie is right with her entire post. I think his memory is lacking. I've spoken to him many times and had plans last week to go see him but we got hammered with snow so I wasn't able to do so. Now I've hurt my back and am not moving around to well. I just spoke to him last night and he ask me to tell everyone he loves the cards so he knows he's out here online. I think he gets confused at times.

Duckfeet,
can you tell me where the post mark is on the envelope? How do you know the reply is from Dennis?

alpharee said:
Lanie is right with her entire post. I think his memory is lacking. I've spoken to him many times and had plans last week to go see him but we got hammered with snow so I wasn't able to do so. Now I've hurt my back and am not moving around to well. I just spoke to him last night and he ask me to tell everyone he loves the cards so he knows he's out here online. I think he gets confused at times.

Duckfeet,
can you tell me where the post mark is on the envelope? How do you know the reply is from Dennis?

The return address is the address I wrote to. The name listed is "Dennis Sprouse". The Postmark says Cleveland, Ohio, March 24. The handwriting IS shakey like an elderly person. He signed it "Your Friend, Dennis". Seems to me, it's from "our Dennis". He was very clear that he was 47, white, male, not married or currently involved, and wanting me to respond with details of my life. Maybe he is 70, but this is a little weird. Others can respond to him. I'm bowing out of this communication.

DuckFeet said:
The return address is the address I wrote to. The name listed is "Dennis Sprouse". The Postmark says Cleveland, Ohio, March 24. The handwriting IS shakey like an elderly person. He signed it "Your Friend, Dennis". Seems to me, it's from "our Dennis". He was very clear that he was 47, white, male, not married or currently involved, and wanting me to respond with details of my life. Maybe he is 70, but this is a little weird. Others can respond to him. I'm bowing out of this communication.

I do not blame you at all. I know he's a confused man for sure but this letter is too weird. I'm sorry. I thought we were all doing a wonderful thing for a lonely man who had no friends. Looks like he's living in another world and using his new pen pals to try and hit on women. And the age geez, why would he say he's 47. It would be obvious once you met him he's not.
I do know he's elderly. My friend who delivered the mail to him said he was elderly and very confused. Maybe when he wrote he was thinking he was 47, who knows....I'm scared to visit now.

WasBlind said:
I've got the address and the home phone, my friend lives nearby and is co-founder of an assisted living center. I will do what I can for him, bless his heart!!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, alpharee. Maybe my buddy can get him a P.O.Box, or accept his mail and then deliver it to him. I know we can come up with something.

xoxoxox to all, Lanie

hi wb, just read his story and it's wonderful how loving and helpfull eveyone is. maybe i can help. i am getting a new computer and would like to donate my current computer to this fellow. works great just doesn't have the memory i need. he can e-mail people all over the world like we do and won't be nearly as lonely. plus you can go round the world over and over again on the internet without leaving your chair!
if you think it's a good idea i need an address and name to send it to and somebody at his end to set it up. maybe your buddy? i can even donate a few dollars a month to help for dsl ( the only way to go). thanks

I don't doubt the word of any of you on this forum or doubt that Dennis is an elderly man. But, what if he has some health attendant, nutty neighbor, or some man who responded to his ad, visited, stole some of his mail and sent the letter to duckfeet? The person could be taking advantage and trying to go thru Dennis' mail looking for cash or checks from goodhearted people. I am so mistrusting and always suspicious but this is odd and I hope that some jerk isn't using a confused elderly man to operate some scam.

There are a lot of lonely people out there but too ashamed to admit it.We should slow down and just say "HI" to the next person you see.

txsvicki said:
I don't doubt the word of any of you on this forum or doubt that Dennis is an elderly man. But, what if he has some health attendant, nutty neighbor, or some man who responded to his ad, visited, stole some of his mail and sent the letter to duckfeet? The person could be taking advantage and trying to go thru Dennis' mail looking for cash or checks from goodhearted people. I am so mistrusting and always suspicious but this is odd and I hope that some jerk isn't using a confused elderly man to operate some scam.

Dennis and I write and speak on the phone fairly often these days.
I have no doubt he's an elderly man.
He say's he rarely if ever leaves his apartment and that some neighbor brings him his groceries.
He should have his webtv by now and hopefully he had help setting it up.

I think I'll go give him a call in a minute. Sometimes he's confused is all.
My gut says he's on the up & up.

Well, I've tried to call Dennis.
It seems that his phone has been disconnected!!!! :(

I know he was telling people to call him collect!! I hope not many did that!! :doh:

Unless I get another letter I'm not sure whats next.

I do know he can't use the webtv without phone service.

Oh well.........................

Rainie

I made up a package with paper, envelopes, and stamps and included a letter.

I really didn't expect an answer - just wanted him to know someone out here cares. I used Lorann as my name but did put my return address. I did get an answer from him, says he hurt his legs and takes therapy twice a week to get legs working again and "everything looks good so far". Likes letter writing, does paint by numbers, excused his handwriting, he smokes a menthal cigarette, and smokes too much. He didn't say he was on oxygen. Doesn't drink any more but keeps beer on hand for friends. All of this is confusing.

The same day I mailed this package, I mailed another one (at some expense) to another internet related person. The lady at the post office started telling me horror stories. I thought maybe I would just sit back for a little while and see what experiences you all had. If he gets confused or has memory lapses, that does not bother me. Needing someone to communicate with is not too much to ask.

If someone here is visiting him and giving him some attention, that's a good thing. Learning the internet might be hard for him with these problems, but who knows, may be good for him. I am glad this was brought up again -

Please keep us informed.

Edited to add - His return address was written in an older person's handwriting however, above it written very nicely and in different color ink was "Dennis Sprouse" - and my name and address were in a different handwriting -?????

WasBlind said:

Lanie.

Have you heard from Dennis lately? His phone has been disconnected and I have not gotten a letter in 2 weeks. ????????????

Has Dennis been taken a packet of letters lately that have been sent to the Po box? I know the person took the first batch, but just wonder if anyone has taken any lately to be able to tell if he is still confused, has his Webtv, etc.

I have recently heard from Dennis, in writing. He sounded well in his letter.
Will try and call again tomorrow. Have not have any problems getting through, so far. I know his telephone service is poor....I think the apts he lives in are poorly maintained as well. It's entirely possible this phone problem is a result of collect calls. I would never in a million years call him collect, but I guess maybe someone could have, and reamed his phone account.

Blessings to all who still write to Dennis.
Is he confused? Maybe. Elderly? Not in my mind, but he has had a hard life. If my hand hurts, I sometimes have my roommate fill out my envelopes. I have carpal tunnel, so who knows. I do not judge people, ever....but certainly not this sweet dear man....whom I now regard as family. He served our country, and was wounded. He was disabled in a wreck, and we (myself and my veteran friends, etc.) are trying to get him the help he needs. I think the VA hosp there is not up to snuff. I am making a lot of phone calls on his behalf. Will keep you posted as I know more. Do not know when I will post again, as I am currently caring for someone who is very ill. My pc time is quite limited nowadays.

We love because He first loved us. 1 John 4:19

For all who prayed and are praying, thank you. Will send another mailing once I can. xo
In Christ, Lanie

:eek:

Since I posted and read other posts, I let things rest on my part. I had received a letter and hadn't answered it - but couldn't quite ignore it. I was confused about things going on and then decided, if I have been wrong about this man, then shame on me. What effort does it take to write and send a letter? So I wrote to him again, just a rambling letter about my yard, the weather, things in the news... I really didn't ask any questions that required an answer.

It sounds like he needs an advocate who can see that he is in better housing, perhaps where he can join others at meal times, make sure his physical needs are being met. Does anyone know if the VFW in that area is active and helpful? If receiving mail helps his mental needs, we can all do that - just a silly card or heck, I have seen jokes or stories on here that I have copied and saved for myself - maybe if he got something like this...

From here, all I can do is send cards and notes and books to read. His letter to me was confusing as it did not jive with what I had been told. If he just gets confused, if going back to his younger days, that's ok too. Sometimes I wish I could go back to younger days.

I am still getting letters from Dennis consistently portraying himself as a much younger man -- taking Real Estate Classes to expand his horizens and income, decorating his apartment, dating, looking for a partner... Because I do not feel comfortable with his CONSISTENT inaccuracies, I have not responded. That only increases my mail from him. I am now writing "Refused-Return to Sender" on the envelopes and sending them back. He is not making inconsistent, forgetful- type, statements. They are a consistent and elaborate story that does not jive with what the rest of you are getting from him/relaying about him. This situation seems really odd to me.

That's pretty strange Duckfeet!! Do you ever approach him with the inconsistencies?

haven't only a few gotten letters from Dennis, and then the others have talked on the phone to him. Those who've talked to him on the phone seem to have noticed some confusion, and the person who delivered the batch of letters to Dennis noted some confusion. I think that the person writing the letters to duckfeet must be some other person who got into Dennis' mail or letters. Duckfeet, did these new letters actually claim to be Dennis or still the friend who got your address and promised not to tell who from?

txsvicki said:
Duckfeet, did these new letters actually claim to be Dennis or still the friend who got your address and promised not to tell who from?

ALL the letters I have received have been signed "Your friend, Dennis". They are all in the same shakey handwriting and have the same return address as I first mailed to. DENNIS SAID that he got my address from a "mutual friend"
and did not want to reveal who is was. Dennis and I live in far distant states. We have NO mutual friends. The only way Dennis got my address was from the one and only card I sent to him. He is consistently leading me on about his age, health, financial status, occupation etc. The letters make fairly good sense and the "story" carries from one letter to the next.
I really don't know what to think.

LP Moderator said:
That's pretty strange Duckfeet!! Do you ever approach him with the inconsistencies?

Except for the original card I sent, I have not replied. I am a little unnerved to.

Hi Duckfeet,

I never received a reply from him at all... I sent him a nice card & letter in February. It is funny how some he replies to with truthful statements, some, like yourself with odd statements, and to me not at all!

Well at least he knows people cared enough to contact him and converse ~ he was really not alone in the world after all.

Do you think you will write him back? :confused:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btc121296
Back