SoCal fires continue thread 2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was beautiful here last night and early this morning. The air smelled a bit smoky, but it was clear and I could see stars up above. But around 10 a.m. the haze began to settle again, and now it's once again orangy-brown with thick, stinky smoke.

Here in San Diego County, the news on tv is all about Jamul in the southeast part of the county and Camp Pendleton.

Just heard on the news that the price tag for this disaster in San Diego County alone is going to top Katrina. Already at $1 billion+.

I hope all of you know that you do have prayers from all over the country coming your way. I know that doesn't help much physically. But emotionally maybe.

OMG, over 1 million people in SD County alone have been displaced by the fires.

Well, since my last posting a few minutes ago, I checked outside and there are 3 distinct separate billows of black smoke. As I sit here and keep watching, a helicopter (with an elephant trunk thing) has flown past my window and I saw 2 water dumping aircraft (sorry, don't know exactly what kind, the air is so smoky, everything is blurry) heading into the black smoke.

Hurray, looks like they are going to knock these out this time. I hope, I hope.

Thanks for all the prayers and wishes. You guys are the best!

That sucks. I also saw some news guy on in Jamul(don'y know where that is). He was showing a gated community with very expensive homes. i guess they are having to leave.
Good luck,stay safe.

Hockeymom,
Jumul...............inland and Southeast of the I-94 near the border of Mexico. Fire has been bad there.......Very expensive homes is right.

If the truth be known, everything is expensive in CA!

Plain old Head lettuce, which I like but has absolutely nothing nutritous in it....was selling for $2.30 a head at Von's yesterday! I swear I walk though that store talking to myself looking that prices! ! Ay corumba!

xxxxxxooooo
mama
:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

I am so sorry for you....The air here is so thick I can only imagine what it is like there.

Bean........I went into this thread this morning and 5 pages had been added.
Tomorrow........I will be most of the day at my dughter's baby delivery so am happy you and everyone here posting is keeping me in touch.

Daughter in law's house in Spring Valley......is again being threatened by more flames. That the one overlooking Spring Valley Resovoir!
It ain't over til it's over.

Hope you stay safe, the smoke up there must be awful. It is honestly clear where I am and hoping it stay's that way!

Glad you didn't get arrested! Hey...you're a cutie, you pulled it off! heheheheheheheh.

QUESTION. Do you, does anything think that I-5 north will be open the Camp Pendelton tomorrow. ????

My youngest has an important meeting tomorrow morning.

xxoooooooo
mama

It was beautiful here last night and early this morning. The air smelled a bit smoky, but it was clear and I could see stars up above. But around 10 a.m. the haze began to settle again, and now it's once again orangy-brown with thick, stinky smoke.

Here in San Diego County, the news on tv is all about Jamul in the southeast part of the county and Camp Pendleton.

Calikid............I used to be a Real Estate appraiser in Jamul.......Did at least 10 to 12 appraisals there years ago. Used to be a quiet little town, only one bar. Very hot there .........I bet I wouldn't recognize it anymore but I'll bet there's still acres and acres of dry brush there!

xxxxxxxxoooo
mama

IS there any Live feeds on the net covering this Mess?

Just heard 33% of the avocado crop is gone. No guacamole for awhile.
I did hear an economist on just now and even though the cost of total damage is going to be worse than katrina,he claims recovery will not be as big a problem due to the size of the state and how many other resources California has.I don't know ,it seems pretty dire to me.

Well, we did end up losing two animals at the Wild Animal Park. A Kiang and a Clapper Rail. Poor things. Thanks to the hard work and conservation efforts of the staff at the Wild Animal Park, all of the other animals were safe as of this morning.

Cin. news is saying that FBI is launching an arson investigation.

Cin. news is saying that FBI is launching an arson investigation.

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-ocfire,0,6364450.story?coll=ktla-promo-layout
O.C.'s Santiago Fire Rages, FBI Searches Home
Matt Apuzzo,

October 24, 2007, 12:59 PM PDT

California authorities and FBI agents searched a home Wednesday as part of an arson investigation into one of the wildfires devastating Southern California.

The search was conducted in Orange County by the Orange County Sheriff's Office and the FBI, the official said. The official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was continuing, would not say what was taken.

Full Coverage on the SoCal Fires

"FBI Los Angeles is assisting Orange County fire officials and sheriff's office in an ongoing investigation into the source of some of the fires," FBI spokesman Richard Kolko said. He referred all other questions to local authorities.

The fires, now in their fourth day, have destroyed 1,500 homes and caused at least a half-million people to flee, in what has become the largest evacuation in state history. At least 1,200 damaged homes were in San Diego County, which is just south of Orange County, and officials believe that number will rise.

More At Link

I've been watching this closely and have not heard from my friends in San Diego yet as to how they are doing.

I was also wondering, since someone brought up the Petersons, about the Van Dams and if they were still in Poway as well as the convicted man's brother-in-law who went by Cletus. I've lost touch with several posters from back in days of the David Westerfield case (where I met our Dear Love Mama) who had just bought a place in Rancho Bernardo. Just in case you read any forums, hope you are OK Miss and Mister.

Just heard on CNN that they are suspending any air drops over the Lake Arrowhead fire as the smoke is so thick,its dangerous to fly into it. That is not good.

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-ocfire,0,6364450.story?coll=ktla-promo-layout
O.C.'s Santiago Fire Rages, FBI Searches Home
Matt Apuzzo,

October 24, 2007, 12:59 PM PDT

California authorities and FBI agents searched a home Wednesday as part of an arson investigation into one of the wildfires devastating Southern California.

The search was conducted in Orange County by the Orange County Sheriff's Office and the FBI, the official said. The official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation was continuing, would not say what was taken.

Full Coverage on the SoCal Fires

"FBI Los Angeles is assisting Orange County fire officials and sheriff's office in an ongoing investigation into the source of some of the fires," FBI spokesman Richard Kolko said. He referred all other questions to local authorities.

The fires, now in their fourth day, have destroyed 1,500 homes and caused at least a half-million people to flee, in what has become the largest evacuation in state history. At least 1,200 damaged homes were in San Diego County, which is just south of Orange County, and officials believe that number will rise.

More At Link

Wow!! They mean business. I hope this is a good lead and it will lead to the arrest of the spineless monsters that did this.

[FONT=times new roman,times,serif]San Onofre now threatened by the Horno Fire on Camp Pendleton
California-wildfires-1.jpg
[/FONT]
Like yesterday, I'm still sequestered, only worse, because I-5 North -- the main artery out of San Diego -- is closed, because it runs right by the Horno fire.
Every major highway out of San Diego has been closed at some point in the past 50 hours.
I-5 South, just a few feet west of I-5 North, is open somehow. Obviously, they're playing it very close, they are NOT taking an "abundance of caution" to close this main artery, "just in case."
Since I-5 is the main artery, I can't say I blame them for that. They can always close it if the winds change, right? Right now, winds are below the speed that cars drive (less than about 75 to 80 miles an hour in that stretch of highway most days, and boy am I going to get Californians in trouble for that comment!). The ridge runs East of, and usually (and currently) upwind from, and along, the highway

http://mwcnews.net/content/view/17610&Itemid=1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member