SoCal fires continue thread 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Temecula is just north of the Rice Fire (Fallbrook). They are probably getting a lot of smoke. There may have been a smaller fire that started there. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that's what I can recall from the last couple of days. :)

The winds have died down, and around noon today, they will be back to normal with a WSW heading. The people inland are going to have a lot of smoke, and smog.

Indeed. We saw our first wisps of smoke this morning, which helped immensely with my "survivor guilt" (we've had perfect, sunny days while the rest of SoCal burned). But the town is full of evacuees and I'm sure they're not happy the smoke has caught up with them.

I heard briefly Temecula mentioned on the news last night (didnt get the story). Anyone know what is going on there? Best friends daughter lives there.
As smoke blankets Temecula, officials snuff out evacuation rumors

Temecula Mayor Chuck Washington said the panic level rose Wednesday morning, when smoke cast a pall over hillsides and buildings.

"We spent all morning countering that," he said.

Tensions began to rise in Temecula's Redhawk neighborhood when some residents received phone messages telling them to evacuate. On Wednesday, police said a suspected scammer in an orange vest has been reported going door-to-door claiming there is a mandatory fire evacuation order for the neighborhood.

Sgt. Dwayne Neuenswander said the activity is likely some kind of scam, perhaps to lure residents from their homes to burglarize them. As of early Wednesday night, police had not found the man.

The city is using its Web site, cable channels and the public meeting Wednesday at Great Oak High School to reassure residents

Bush has just arrived in San Diego.

The air here in southern Orange County is just awful.

Good morning :) Nice to see all of you again this fine morning ;)

Actually, it's kind of a mixed bag here. It's great that the temps are cooler and there was actually a little bit of moisture in the air this morning. However, I think the moisture is making the smoke, soot, smog and various other nasty particles, hang heavy over the area this morning. I would say that the air qualtity is worse today than it has been. My house, car and office smell horrible. Still, the cooler temps, much lower winds and the moisture hopefully means that the firefighters will have a better day today.

I agree KrisNine, the air is just horrible today.. I can't see a thing out my office window. All I see his SMOKE.. This has to be the worst day yet as far as that goes. I'm even getting a headache from it all... we may close our office today..

I still saw the fire this morning from my house but it looks like it's not spreading, which is a good thing. The weather is cooler and no winds.. I'm still praying for rain though.. :)

As smoke blankets Temecula, officials snuff out evacuation rumors

Temecula Mayor Chuck Washington said the panic level rose Wednesday morning, when smoke cast a pall over hillsides and buildings.

"We spent all morning countering that," he said.

Tensions began to rise in Temecula's Redhawk neighborhood when some residents received phone messages telling them to evacuate. On Wednesday, police said a suspected scammer in an orange vest has been reported going door-to-door claiming there is a mandatory fire evacuation order for the neighborhood.

Sgt. Dwayne Neuenswander said the activity is likely some kind of scam, perhaps to lure residents from their homes to burglarize them. As of early Wednesday night, police had not found the man.

The city is using its Web site, cable channels and the public meeting Wednesday at Great Oak High School to reassure residents
Disasters usually bring out the best in people, but there are always a few that try to use the situation to capitalize on other's misfortunes for their own benefit. They need to put a special law on the books to place very harsh penalties on the few people who are low enough to do these things.

Sounds like you are getting a break from the fires spreading but with no wind there is no where for the air to go.I just can't imagine. I remember I lived in San Diego when Mt. St. Helen's erupted and all the way down there we had some bad air. it was kinda hazy,orangish,so this right in your back yard has to be awful.
I'd like to say,stay inside,but it sounds like even there you are getting crap through the ventilation.

I agree KrisNine, the air is just horrible today.. I can't see a thing out my office window. All I see his SMOKE.. This has to be the worst day yet as far as that goes. I'm even getting a headache from it all... we may close our office today..

I still saw the fire this morning from my house but it looks like it's not spreading, which is a good thing. The weather is cooler and no winds.. I'm still praying for rain though.. :)

It's really nasty. I woke up at 4 this morning because of the smell in my house. Fear and awareness of smoke must be an instinct of ours. I woke up out of what I thought was a dead sleep to the smell of the smoke settling in our house. I looked outside and didn't see any flames so I went back to bed.

I wish we would close, but I do work for slavedrivers!

I agree with the other posters who said today is the worst air quality day so far. (at least it is in Foothill Ranch, south Orange County).

While I don't see any flames nearby, the smoke is so thick and grey that we can't see 100 yards in any direction. There is absolutely no wind so all that bad air is just hanging around us - even the inside of our building seems smoky (although it could be my eyes and headache playing tricks on me).

We closed the office (200+ employees), sent everyone home. I am here with one other person simply to set up a few air purifiers, and do a safety check, then I'm headed home.

My thoughts are now with all those who have lost so much. I feel very fortunate in comparison to others who are still experiencing far worse. I finally believe both my home and office are no longer in immediate danger.

Bush has just arrived in San Diego....

As if the air isn't bad enough!

(Yeah, yeah, I know. TO me, ban me, if you must, but somebody had to say it!)

you go Nova :clap:

On the other hand, our Governor Schwartzenegger has been getting high praise for working long hours and taking decisive action. Maybe he learned a lesson from the p.r. disaster following Katrina, or maybe he's just a decent guy. Either way, well done, Arnold!

On the other hand, our Governor Schwartzenegger has been getting high praise for working long hours and taking decisive action. Maybe he learned a lesson from the p.r. disaster following Katrina, or maybe he's just a decent guy. Either way, well done, Arnold!

Yeah, can't help but like Arnie. But after all, he is the Terminator. This is nothing compared to those vats of molten lava. OT, but I heard Maria has resigned from NBC, citing the Anna Nicole coverage. Hang in there Californians. I hope we do better than we did in NO.

Eve

Yeah, can't help but like Arnie. But after all, he is the Terminator. This is nothing compared to those vats of molten lava. OT, but I heard Maria has resigned from NBC, citing the Anna Nicole coverage. Hang in there Californians. I hope we do better than we did in NO.

Eve

This is a broad generalization, but a big difference between California fires and a N.O. hurricane is that it is generally wealthier areas (i.e., closer to mountains and vegetation) that burn out here. That isn't to say that everyone who has lost his home is a millionaire or that the victims aren't suffering or don't deserve our compassion and assistance. They certainly do.

But on the whole, the victims (and their friends and family) here have more political clout than a lot of those who were submerged in New Orleans.

This is a broad generalization, but a big difference between California fires and a N.O. hurricane is that it is generally wealthier areas (i.e., closer to mountains and vegetation) that burn out here. That isn't to say that everyone who has lost his home is a millionaire or that the victims aren't suffering or don't deserve our compassion and assistance. They certainly do.

But on the whole, the victims (and their friends and family) here have more political clout than a lot of those who were submerged in New Orleans.

Very good point, Nova. Also, no doubt it is being handled better by the local government out there, too.

Eve

Very good point, Nova. Also, no doubt it is being handled better by the local government out there, too.

Eve

I'm on the other side of the mountain, but it certainly seems like they are doing a great job!

The biggest problem with the Bush arrival is that ALL air traffic in the area
has been grounded between the hours of 9 am and 3 pm PDT.

That means the big airplanes to fight the fires, are grounded.

The biggest problem with the Bush arrival is that ALL air traffic in the area
has been grounded between the hours of 9 am and 3 pm PDT.

That means the big airplanes to fight the fires, are grounded.

WHAT????

Priorities, priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members