Spartanburg, SC Sheriff to women...ARM YOURSELVES...

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He sounds like he tells it like it is. I think that offering a gun safety course might be a good idea. But really, nobody can protect you as well as you can. I don't like that the world is like this but it is.

I think he is a man who is fed up with catching violent criminals and putting them in jail, only to have the back out and committing crimes again. Sometimes very soon after he catches them. I think he is fed up with the 'system' and the laws and the judges. He is saying our system is broke and it is coming to the point where he can't be everywhere, he can't save everyone, he can't 'protect' anyone and he even feels that his ability to punish anyone is limited.

Have trouble understanding how he is thinking? If you've read in the current news forums I'm sure you've come across at least one case where the perp got off with a very light sentence, and you have questioned how that happened. I know I have. And to think that the sherriff lives and works within the same system every day, I'm sure it is much more frustrating for him.

How many times on here have you asked why they don't give out more info on suspects, why they can't just arrest someone, why LE does what they do and have the answer told that it is because of the suspect's rights. Yeah, they do have a lot of rights. Usually more rights than their victims do.

he sounds incredibly frustrated ... maybe he needs a nice, long vacation or to retire

I feel for him b/c I believe law enforcement to be the toughest job there is

I can't really judge b/c I live in another country but I will say that I don't know anyone who owns a gun, except some buddies of my brother who have old hunting guns that they never use

I shot a pellet gun once when I was a kid - that's the extent of my experience

we just don't do guns here & the majority of crimes don't involve guns

BBM Something for you to be very grateful for. I've never known anyone with a personal firearm either. I don't understand where the gun culture in our country comes from. But yeah, I agree, he sounds like he needs a leave of absence or retirement....

...Yeah, they do have a lot of rights. Usually more rights than their victims do.

Again, what does that mean? A defendant has the same rights as the victim, until the defendant is convicted, at which point he usually has far fewer rights.

Again, the forcible rape rate in South Carolina is only half what it was 20 years ago. Why is it suddenly necessary for every woman in SC to arm herself?

BBM Something for you to be very grateful for. I've never known anyone with a personal firearm either. I don't understand where the gun culture in our country comes from. But yeah, I agree, he sounds like he needs a leave of absence or retirement....

Our gun culture comes from (a) the fact that many of the Europeans who settled here were soldiers and/or criminals; (b) we spent the first 400 years of European settlement at virtual war with the aboriginal inhabitants and an armed population of settlers was the front line of that war; and (c) settlements moved west faster than formal government could keep up, so "frontier justice" filled in while settlers waited for sheriffs, jails, courts, etc.

If I was told by someone in my local LE to arm myself, I would be pissed! I shouldn't have to arm myself. He needs to worry about doing his job, rather than inciting panic.

This sheriff said "it's too bad someone with a concealed weapons permit didn't walk by", and I heartily second that!

It was my first thought on reading the thread here about the people who stood helpless and stunned in a Walmart and watched a 74 year old man get beat to DEATH by a baseball bat wielding sicko.

I cannot fathom the helplessness of those people. This makes them ALL victims. And what if the perp had finished off the elder man then turned on one of them? What? Everyone just stand around watching serial murders until a LE agent arrives? In my very small town, that could be awhile, long enough for quite a few deaths. And if the bat had been a gun instead? Wholescale massacre.

I once lived in a town that had ONE police officer on duty at a time, total of two part time officers. On Tuesdays, both of them were off, no LE on duty at all. That's the day the teenagers would drag race down Main Street, lol. Thankfully nothing worse happened. But it could have. The whole town could have been systematically murdered if everyone there thought the way gun opponents do, except the criminals of course.

There is just no getting around the FACT that when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

The sheriff knows that only too well. To blame LE for not having a personal officer posted by the side of each individual citizen as they go about their everyday life is either denial, delusional, or narcissistic, IMO. In any case, it is sheer outright unrealistic.

If I was told by someone in my local LE to arm myself, I would be pissed! I shouldn't have to arm myself. He needs to worry about doing his job, rather than inciting panic.

I really really don't believe he is intending to incite panic at ALL. I believe he is intending to help you PROTECT yourself by informing you of the reality of life as it is.

I believe the people who might just now be feeling a sense of panic BECAUSE of what the sheriff said are doing so because they are just now starting to UNDERSTAND the reality.

FEAR : IT IS THERE FOR A REASON. IT IS MEANT TO INSPIRE YOU TO PROTECT YOURSELF.

Once you know you are protected, you will not be in fear. You cannot depend on others to protect you.

Our gun culture comes from (a) the fact that many of the Europeans who settled here were soldiers and/or criminals; (b) we spent the first 400 years of European settlement at virtual war with the aboriginal inhabitants and an armed population of settlers was the front line of that war; and (c) settlements moved west faster than formal government could keep up, so "frontier justice" filled in while settlers waited for sheriffs, jails, courts, etc.

"So frontier justice filled in while settlers waited for sheriffs, jails, courts, etc. "

This is so true, and yet the jails only hold people AFTER they have committed their crimes.

And today, with the jail overcrowding, etc., many many of the already-proven and convicted violent and repeat offenders are STILL on the street and in places that you and your loved ones frequent daily.

This is exactly the scenario that frustrated the sheriff enough to prompt him to warn his people to PROTECT themselves.

I really really don't believe he is intending to incite panic at ALL. I believe he is intending to help you PROTECT yourself by informing you of the reality of life as it is.

I believe the people who might just now be feeling a sense of panic BECAUSE of what the sheriff said are doing so because they are just now starting to UNDERSTAND the reality.

FEAR : IT IS THERE FOR A REASON. IT IS MEANT TO INSPIRE YOU TO PROTECT YOURSELF.

Once you know you are protected, you will not be in fear. You cannot depend on others to protect you.

One can be cautious and alert without being fearful. The "reality" is that, as a whole, society is safer than it used to be. Look at the brutality in the past. I refuse to ascribe to reactionary fear, simply because of our advances in technology, we are able to hear about more crime, and hear about it quicker than we used it.

My bf keeps a gun, but it's hidden very well, so I would have no idea where to get it in order to use it. Thankfully, he is always around to protect us.

Even though I got rid of it, I've had a gun in the past and I did feel protected, maybe empowered.
However, I have to live with a double edged sword. While I am normal right now and have been for a long time, every few years I will get hit with a bout of severe depression that makes me feel like I want to die. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use a gun on myself were I to get that sad again, I just feel more comfortable knowing that the option isn't there period. I'm pretty content with just wasp spray or mace.

Both my wife and I have concealed carry permits ... and we do. In my opinion, the more concealed carry permits issued, the more non-criminal, trained citizens there will be to protect themselves and the public. I wish everyone in my neighborhood, city, and state qualified for and used a concealed carry permit. Of course, the criminals would have to move somewhere else.

Russell

One can be cautious and alert without being fearful. The "reality" is that, as a whole, society is safer than it used to be. Look at the brutality in the past. I refuse to ascribe to reactionary fear, simply because of our advances in technology, we are able to hear about more crime, and hear about it quicker than we used it.

Exactly Ana Teresa. It's all smoke and mirrors on the part of the unbelievably powerful gun lobby in this country. I believe they've capitalized on fears being stoked in the nation today in general related to the economy. I hope that all of these gun toting "law abiding" citizens are able to exercise restraint in the face of stress or fear and don't wind up getting some poor little kid killed somewhere. We'd be much better off getting rid of the guns and working on the societal issues which create criminals in the first place. I know I certainly don't feel any safer now that I know that in my state any yahoo with 50 bucks and a Chuck Norris complex can walk around with a gun in public. As for the sheriff, I wish he would've spent a little time during his tirade talking about how people should be protecting their children from access to these weapons now that Mommy is supposed to be packing heat during carpool. :furious::banghead::banghead:

My bf keeps a gun, but it's hidden very well, so I would have no idea where to get it in order to use it. Thankfully, he is always around to protect us.

Even though I got rid of it, I've had a gun in the past and I did feel protected, maybe empowered.
However, I have to live with a double edged sword. While I am normal right now and have been for a long time, every few years I will get hit with a bout of severe depression that makes me feel like I want to die. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use a gun on myself were I to get that sad again, I just feel more comfortable knowing that the option isn't there period. I'm pretty content with just wasp spray or mace.

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew there was a gun in the house with my son. It's just not worth the tragic consequences.....

I live in a city of 90,000 people. We have had 55 murders this year. 55. There are two months left to go before the end of the year. Some of these are gang related, some are children, and some are home invasions. The way I see it, if I am out in public, I will give you the benefit of the doubt. That's why I carry a knife in public, even though I have the permit to carry a concealed firearm. It's possible that I could, potentially misunderstand someone's intentions if I am outside of my home, or that I could shoot a bystander even if I had a reason to shoot. I wouldn't want that. At least in public, I have a chance of someone coming to my aid, be it a civilian or law enforcement.

In my home, that is a different story. If you enter my home without my permission, and do not heed a verbal warning, I will shoot. Period. There is no need to try to figure out someone's intentions, if they are in my home and I don't want them there. As far as hitting a bystander, I know that it could still happen, and it could be a member of my own family. But, at that point, my family is already in danger.

It's always a risk having a weapon in a house with children, but in my case, the kids would have to locate the gun safe, which is concealed, they would then have to locate the lock box with the ammo. They would then have to somehow get both boxes open, which means figuring out two combinations, and get the weapon put together in order to shoot themselves. I can do it in 43 seconds, (Yeah, I drill myself). My kids can't do it, and they don't get a chance, there is a lock on my bedroom door and they are not allowed in that room. My kids are not allowed toy guns or shooting games because I have taught them that guns are bad for kids, dangerous, not toys, they will hurt you, so on and so forth. It's possible to safely own a gun, even with kids.

HOWEVER, at the end of that little soapbox statement, I do have questions. Why should only women arm themselves? Are men never attacked in SC? I'm glad that the sheriff has the guts to say what he thinks, but it does disturb me a bit that the sheriff seems to be inciting a bit of a panic, by making the statements that women need to arm themselves. He's creating an "us against them" mindset, IMO. If it's what he really believes, why not suggest tht those that are able, regardless of gender, might want to consider arming themselves, to protect themselves, their families, and their vulnerable neighbors. And he should probably add on there something about gun safety and training, since those things should always go hand in hand with gun ownership.

Except it isn't.

What do you mean it isn't? Women aren't being raped in their own homes while they sleep at night? Women aren't being attacked in streets and left for dead? Homes aren't being broken into and people's personal property being stolen? Convenience store workers aren't being robbed at gunpoint? Children aren't being molested by pedofiles?

I can't name one of these situations where I wouldn't be glad I had a gun to protect myself or my loved ones. I'd rather deal with the fact that I killed/hurt the man who broke into my home and tried to attack me than deal with being attacked and living with both physical and emotional scars for the rest of my life.

Many of these situations happen and the criminal is never found or convicited or they serve a minimal jail sentence and are released back into society to look for their next victim.

I do not believe anyone has a right to take from me what I do not give them.

I don't think the sheriff is trying to cause mass hysteria - I think he's just pointing out the reality of the world we live in. If this causes people to panic then good - it's time they come out of their cloud and see what is happening around them. If he's saying this stuff to be re-elected he'd certainly have my vote if I lived in that town.

I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I knew there was a gun in the house with my son. It's just not worth the tragic consequences.....

I will go one further.
When we were children, my mom and stepdad went out of town and left us with a babysitter in our home. Step dad had a lot of guns.
We were all playing Hide and Seek one Saturday afternoon. I got up in the closet in mine and my sister's room, so she went to mom's room. Our babysitter's brother was helping her climb up to the top of the closet and found a gun. He took it down, flipped it around in his hand for minute and was going to put it my mom's drawer. Before that could happen, the gun when off and my seven year old sister was shot. It went through her arm and then through her back over towards the side. The bullet missed her heart by less than an 1/8th of an inch.
We didn't even have a phone back then, so all I remember is my sister screaming , "I'm shot, I'm shot!" and we all ran out the door to a neighbors house to call an ambulance. Mom was out of town in a cabin in the mountains(unreachable) and Dad was in the midst of boarding a plane to go to my uncles funeral in another state.
They ended up having to pull him off the plane to get emergency permission for surgery. We were very lucky, but that's another reason I don't want a gun in my home with kids around.

I will go one further.
When we were children, my mom and stepdad went out of town and left us with a babysitter in our home. Step dad had a lot of guns.
We were all playing Hide and Seek one Saturday afternoon. I got up in the closet in mine and my sister's room, so she went to mom's room. Our babysitter's brother was helping her climb up to the top of the closet and found a gun. He took it down, flipped it around in his hand for minute and was going to put it my mom's drawer. Before that could happen, the gun when off and my seven year old sister was shot. It went through her arm and then through her back over towards the side. The bullet missed her heart by less than an 1/8th of an inch.
We didn't even have a phone back then, so all I remember is my sister screaming , "I'm shot, I'm shot!" and we all ran out the door to a neighbors house to call an ambulance. Mom was out of town in a cabin in the mountains(unreachable) and Dad was in the midst of boarding a plane to go to my uncles funeral in another state.
They ended up having to pull him off the plane to get emergency permission for surgery. We were very lucky, but that's another reason I don't want a gun in my home with kids around.

I was discussing this topic with my mother and she told me that when she was around 6 years old she remembers snooping in her parent's closet for Xmas presents. She dragged a chair over and reached way in the back of the top shelf and dragged out a box. There was a handgun in the box. She vividly remembers sitting on her parents bed playing with this gun, pretending to point it at herself in the mirror, twirling it around her finger. When she was done playing she hid it away again and never told her parents. Now the memory of having done that makes her sick. Gun carrying criminals have the element of surprise on their side. Once someone becomes aware that they are being threatened, it's too late to pull a gun if the offender already has one. You lose. If you pull a gun and it turns out the offender never had a gun in the first place, well, then, you really didn't need a gun to begin with. Unless you sleep with a gun under your pillow which you shouldn't be doing, there is no way you'd have time to get to your gun before the offender does what he/she came to do. If the gun is locked in a gun safe, you don't have time to say, "Excuse me a minute", go to the safe, open it with a combination that you're trying to remember as adrenaline is flooding your system, retrieve the gun, aim it and fire without killing an innocent party in your vicinity. You're much better off calling 911 at the first sign of trouble. If you actually live in a crime infested environment where you truly feel in order to survive your day that you need to have a gun strapped to your person, then you need to MOVE. Guns are never going to be the answer but they do provide a false sense of security.

Again, what does that mean? A defendant has the same rights as the victim, until the defendant is convicted, at which point he usually has far fewer rights.
Again, the forcible rape rate in South Carolina is only half what it was 20 years ago. Why is it suddenly necessary for every woman in SC to arm herself?

BBM

A defendent has the right to choose their life determination. They can choose to plead guilty or not guilty. They can choose to plead to a lesser sentence. The victim however wasn't given the right to say yes or no to sexual assault or murder. A defendent has the right to privacy. Very seldom will you see their medical or mental health history in media before a conviction. Yet a victim will often see their medical, mental health and even their sexual history's in media long before any trial. Even after conviction much of the convict's history is censored due to his "right to privacy."

A defendant has many more rights than a victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper