State Motion to recover Investigative Costs

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The same happened to 2 little girls in Deltona (Volusia county) in Sept, 2008

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0809/19/ng.01.html

GRACE: I want to go back to Mark Williams at WNDB Newstalk 1150.

Mark, what can you tell me about an alleged Caylee sighting?

MARK WILLIAMS, NEWS DIRECTOR, WNDB NEWSTALK 1150: We`ve had two Caylee sightings within the past -- just over the past couple days. The first one was in Deltona in Volusia County. And both sightings took place there. One at a gas station, somebody thought they saw Caylee, they jotted down the license number, called police.

Police went to the house. They talked to the parents. The parents produced a birth certificate. Took a couple pictures. It was not Caylee. Close, but no cigar.

A second one, deputies surrounding a house late one night after they -- somebody called the sheriff`s office, telling them that they thought they saw Caylee. They knocked on the door, went into the house, woke up the little girl. This girl was 5 years old. Her name was Caylee, but her name began with a K instead of a C.

Again, case closed on that one"

http://www.wftv.com/news/17507311/detail.html
Caylee Look-Alike Leads Deputies To Swarm Central Florida Home
Ya know...that's the one I remember...and confused the circumstances of the other.
In all these cases LE was involved and as much as the DT would like us to believe resources were used (at an expense) to follow up on these sightings.

I believe JBP has to decide a cut off date for reimbursement of investigating costs.Is it 7/17/08 when they knew KC was lying,or 9/30/08 when John Allen said that LE was no longer looking for an "alive Caylee",or should he decide that she owes for the entire cost of everything from day one till the end?I'd like to hear other members ideas.Thanks.

CM mentioned RK's initial calls in early August. I wonder if there are any laws on the books that will help or hinder HHBP's final decision on costs, in regards to RC being terminated for dereliction of duty due to his performance in response to RK's alleged sighting of a skull in August?
Had the deputy been a little more assertive with RK, asking him to show him exactly where the skull he reported was, then, there would have been no further searching necessary, if indeed that was where Caylee's remains actually were in early August.

It will be interesting to see if HHBP even considers this in his making his overall decision.

CM mentioned RK's initial calls in early August. I wonder if there are any laws on the books that will help or hinder HHBP's final decision on costs, in regards to RC being terminated for dereliction of duty due to his performance in response to RK's alleged sighting of a skull in August?
Had the deputy been a little more assertive with RK, asking him to show him exactly where the skull he reported was, then, there would have been no further searching necessary, if indeed that was where Caylee's remains actually were in early August.

It will be interesting to see if HHBP even considers this in his making his overall decision.

Interesting TDA. Hadn't thought of it that way.
In other words, had LE done their duty and been more diligent at the time RK first made the discovery, it might be contended that there would have been no further wastage of resources and that LE more or less brought it upon themselves.

Interesting TDA. Hadn't thought of it that way.
In other words, had LE done their duty and been more diligent at the time RK first made the discovery, it might be contended that there would have been no further wastage of resources and that LE more or less brought it upon themselves.

True, but that does not take away the malice and deceit perpetrated by Casey Marie Anthony in her quest to escape punishment for the awful way she handled the situation.

Sure, one dumb cop dropped the ball that day, but that is nothing compared to the dishonesty and deceit of Casey Anthony.

True, but that does not take away the malice and deceit perpetrated by Casey Marie Anthony in her quest to escape punishment for the awful way she handled the situation.

Sure, one dumb cop dropped the ball that day, but that is nothing compared to the dishonesty and deceit of Casey Anthony.

More likely a lazy cop or one who did not fancy to wade into swamp water in Fla.' considering all the nasty critters in there. Probably no gators but possibly water moccasins. Still somebody had to read the incident report back at the Fort. Always curious how that was written up that it did not merit further investigation apparently. And that spot was so logical. Bet DT is going to try to get a hold of that report.
During the "a la fantasia" drowning story, DT was very careful not to disclose anything on how Caylee ended up in the swamp. I guess we pretty well deduced within reasonable doubt how that occurred unless you are one of the Pinellas 12.
I am very curious therefor what HHJP will use as a cut off date. The date they stopped looking for a life Caylee or the date when her little body was discovered.
I do not think he will go beyond the December 2008 date.

Far years, as long as I could ever remember.....you were told never, ever pull a fire alarm if there is no fire......it means BIG TROUBLE. Same standard should apply to lying to LE. There is no difference. jmo

I agree with you. I don't think that the parents of a child that lies and costs LE a lot of money in searches, etc, should have to pay for what their child did. There should be a way to punish the child but not the parents. If they didn't know that their child lied and caused a loss of money to LE then I don't see how they can be held accountable. The child learns nothing if the parents receive the punishment that the child should actually receive.

The way I see it she should pay for the whole caboodle. The trial, the investigative costs, everything. The fact of the matter is, she could've ended this a looooooong time ago by admitting her version of the truth. But no, she made everyone go through the expense of a trial and housing her in jail to what??? to prove some kind of sick point. She couldve ended this all at anytime she wanted. By telling people the truth. The lies she told permeated every facet of this case. The lies her parents told poisoned this case. The lies the DT told poisoned justice. She should have to pay for everything that we the taxpayers of this state were forced to pay for, A pack of lies! All imo!

It's funny/strange that you mention this, I personally thought CM's comment(s) were totally unnecessary...even childish. It really was nasty and served no purpose. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...the reality is that there was only ONE person who could have/should have done things differently. LDB didn't take the bait...but I will...
**CM(!!) maybe if your client didn't throw her child away as trash we wouldn't be having this conversation!!!!!**

Thanks TDA for letting me bounce off your post. oxoxox

I wonder if JBP can find out how much she paid. Sounds like she did reimburse them for at least part of the search. Snipped from the article:

"Yes, Wilbanks probably owes America a heartfelt apology and a "thanks for thinking of me" speech, but an out-of-court agreement of partial payback, community service, and therapy (which she has already agreed to enter), should be enough to wipe the egg off of our collective faces and move on."

IMO

..i would love it if judgeP tacked on some community service as well!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8884303...rts/t/runaway-bride-mowing-lawns-court-order/

Runaway bride Jennifer Wilbanks mowed the lawn of a government building Tuesday as part of her court-ordered community service for lying to police...

In all, she was ordered to do 120 hours of service. Wilbanks had already completed 16 hours of her sentence by cleaning probation offices and washing public vehicles. Department of Corrections spokeswoman Peggy Chapman said Wilbanks planned to work off eight more hours Tuesday, also picking up trash.

She also was sentenced to two years of probation and ordered to pay $2,550 in restitution to the sheriff's office that helped with the search for her.
The nearby city of Duluth, Georgia, where Wilbanks had lived with her fiance, spent nearly $43,000 to search for her; Wilbanks has repaid $13,249.

I agree with you. I don't think that the parents of a child that lies and costs LE a lot of money in searches, etc, should have to pay for what their child did. There should be a way to punish the child but not the parents. If they didn't know that their child lied and caused a loss of money to LE then I don't see how they can be held accountable. The child learns nothing if the parents receive the punishment that the child should actually receive.
I think it depends on whether you're talking about a minor child or a child who is an adult and should be responsible for their own actions. In this case, we have an "adult" child who lied and then we also have a set of parents who came up with additional lies to cover for their "adult" child's lies. How do you separate the lies and punish accordingly?

The same happened to 2 little girls in Deltona (Volusia county) in Sept, 2008

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0809/19/ng.01.html

GRACE: I want to go back to Mark Williams at WNDB Newstalk 1150.

Mark, what can you tell me about an alleged Caylee sighting?

MARK WILLIAMS, NEWS DIRECTOR, WNDB NEWSTALK 1150: We`ve had two Caylee sightings within the past -- just over the past couple days. The first one was in Deltona in Volusia County. And both sightings took place there. One at a gas station, somebody thought they saw Caylee, they jotted down the license number, called police.

Police went to the house. They talked to the parents. The parents produced a birth certificate. Took a couple pictures. It was not Caylee. Close, but no cigar.

A second one, deputies surrounding a house late one night after they -- somebody called the sheriff`s office, telling them that they thought they saw Caylee. They knocked on the door, went into the house, woke up the little girl. This girl was 5 years old. Her name was Caylee, but her name began with a K instead of a C.

Again, case closed on that one"

http://www.wftv.com/news/17507311/detail.html
Caylee Look-Alike Leads Deputies To Swarm Central Florida Home

They should ADD on the time/$$$$ these police officers spent following up all these other leads. :maddening:

But isn't it up to the parents to move an appropriate amount of lesson learning onto the child once the parents have been held responsible?

I think we would see a different kind of parenting emerge if parents were held accountable for the actions of their "dependent" children - after all - they are wholly responsible for that child in all other aspects.

I think it depends on whether you're talking about a minor child or a child who is an adult and should be responsible for their own actions. In this case, we have an "adult" child who lied and then we also have a set of parents who came up with additional lies to cover for their "adult" child's lies. How do you separate the lies and punish accordingly?

In my eyes there are no "adult" children. Once a child has attained "their majority" that is of age, no parent can be held responsible for that adult's actions. So each should be held responsible for their own actions. The fact they are "interdependent" need not be taken into consideration.

In other words, it is not okay to lie or break laws in order to save your relative from facing the repercussions of their illegal actions.

They should ADD on the time/$$$$ these police officers spent following up all these other leads. :maddening:
I'm hoping the item by item accounting shows all of the different "sightings" and the manpower used to investigate each and every one. If Offender Anthony hadn't come up with all of those imaginary people and the imaginary kidnapping in the first place, there would have been NONE of the searches or the so-called "sightings".. She needs to pay for ALL of them.

In other words, it is not okay to lie or break laws in order to save your relative from facing the repercussions of their illegal actions.
Best post of the entire forum!!!!!:clap::clap::clap::goodpost:

Ya know...that's the one I remember...and confused the circumstances of the other.
In all these cases LE was involved and as much as the DT would like us to believe resources were used (at an expense) to follow up on these sightings.

Exactly....valuable state funds and valuable time spent following up on leads...all false leads because Casey knew all along Caylee was dead.

:twocents:

The way I see it she should pay for the whole caboodle. The trial, the investigative costs, everything. The fact of the matter is, she could've ended this a looooooong time ago by admitting her version of the truth. But no, she made everyone go through the expense of a trial and housing her in jail to what??? to prove some kind of sick point. She couldve ended this all at anytime she wanted. By telling people the truth. The lies she told permeated every facet of this case. The lies her parents told poisoned this case. The lies the DT told poisoned justice. She should have to pay for everything that we the taxpayers of this state were forced to pay for, A pack of lies! All imo!

bbm
:clap:
I agree.

Thank you to everyone for pulling these old articles out. I needed a reminder to just how crazy it was at that time, the money poured into this case for all the sightings, investigation costs, man power, all the hard work from LE and beyond. All of this could have been avoided if FCA hadn't lied and continued her lies. I believe she should be help responsible for each and every dime up until December 2008. You can't get back the valuable hours used by LE, but you bet they can make her pay for it. I love the community service idea! If she can't "afford" to pay the $$ back, this would be a terrific idea for her to give back, might actually be a lesson learned. Probably not, but one can dream.

I believe JBP has to decide a cut off date for reimbursement of investigating costs.Is it 7/17/08 when they knew KC was lying,or 9/30/08 when John Allen said that LE was no longer looking for an "alive Caylee",or should he decide that she owes for the entire cost of everything from day one till the end?I'd like to hear other members ideas.Thanks.

Whatever he decides I expect it to be logical with something to back up his decision.

It won't be the entire case. I don't think anyone is asking for that ,are they ?
The parallel investigation stopped at some point and only the murder investigation remained.

Too bad they don't charge for every investigation that results in a conviction. It's the same premiss in a way. One's actions created the need to investigate ,charge and try the case. If you're found guilty you work while in prison to repay those expenses.

Whatever charges FCA will be held responsible for, I hope that there is a stipulation that the charges will remain open on the books until they have been paid. If that takes ten years or fifty years, so be it. I would also like to see a requirement that FCA is to submit a signed mothly statement of all earnings, freebies, etc. If she lies, back to jail.

The defense would never agree to enter into that sort of stipulation.

But that's okay.

The statute on which LDB's motion is based, in fact does set out guidelines that tell us if the debt will poof at any point.

The court shall require the defendant to pay the costs within a specified period or in specified installments.
(b) The end of such period or the last such installment shall not be later than:
1. The end of the period of probation or community control, if probation or community control is ordered;
2. Five years after the end of the term of imprisonment imposed, if the court does not order probation or community control; or
3. Five years after the date of sentencing in any other case.
However, in no event shall the obligation to pay any unpaid amounts expire if not paid in full within the period specified in this paragraph.(c) If not otherwise provided by the court under this section, costs shall be paid immediately.
(3) If a defendant is placed on probation or community control, payment of any costs under this section shall be a condition of such probation or community control. The court may revoke probation or community control if the defendant fails to pay these costs.

So the amount ordered will become a condition of probation. Nonpayment can be a basis to do a violation of probation and impose sentence....
If she finishes probation and the debt is unpaid, the debt continues.
Interesting to see what the Judge does with this.
Thought that would :fireworks: be good news......

:wolf:eek:pinion

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back