State Motion to recover Investigative Costs

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@bobkealing
bob kealing
#CaseyAnthony defense files new brief asking that court cost be limited to efforts expended on crimes for which she was actually convicted.
2 hours ago

To me that sounds like they just shot themselves in the foot -
Doesn't that mean than rather than just asking for all those costs reimbursed the State should go ahead and file charges.....

Yes, the primary lie being - "The Nanny - er Zanny, kidnapped Caylee and I can't find her. I've been looking on my own..."

I believe that is exactly what the state is going for...the costs involved for investigations undertaken based on Casey's lies. The main lie was that Caylee was a missing child. From that, teams of investigators were assigned various tasks including, but not limited to: Looking for the missing child. Looking for a babysitter named as the last person seen with the child. Looking into the possibility of cell records and investigating those.

...and so on...

I believe that is exactly what the state is going for...the costs involved for investigations undertaken based on Casey's lies. The main lie was that Caylee was a missing child. From that, teams of investigators were assigned various tasks including, but not limited to: Looking for the missing child. Looking for a babysitter named as the last person seen with the child. Looking into the possibility of cell records and investigating those.

...and so on...

Exactly! And so what's with the Defense's new :bigfight: ?: They were at the hearing - they have the States lists of charges... I wonder who did this brief - and I guess they just decided to :ignore: .....

@bobkealing
bob kealing
#CaseyAnthony defense files new brief asking that court cost be limited to efforts expended on crimes for which she was actually convicted.
2 hours ago

Don't the lions in Africa need to be fed or something?! :sick:

Thanks for posting this strawberry - I saw you in the tweet thread.

My question is - isn't this what the State is already doing?:waitasec:

Guess the Defense isn't feeling too confident about what HHJP's ruling is going to say....:woot:

I thought it is what the State was asking for...and I don't see any articles about this or the actual motion. :waitasec:

Guess the Defense isn't feeling too confident about what HHJP's ruling is going to say....:woot:
There sure was a heck of a lot of lies to follow up on.

Exactly! And so what's with the Defense's new :bigfight: ?: They were at the hearing - they have the States lists of charges... I wonder who did this brief - and I guess they just decided to :ignore: .....

IMO, the defense wants to clog up the courts. They know that whatever they throw out there has to be dealt with even if it is frivolous. It's all about delays. Decisions can have more or less impact depending on when they are issued. Remember their motion made to the appeals court to reconsider their opinion on the probation issue--the one that pointed out to the appeals court that their decision was wrong because the court had "misapprehended" the facts? That too was a delay tactic, IMO. The only thing that the defense had not counted on was their motion being denied approximately one minute after it was filed.

----------------
Hi, I hope they (court) go after all they can. KC. should have thought of that before she spewed all her lies! The defense seems to feel they can do anything they want because they "won" this case.KC needs to learn a lesson, I or should I say we hope the court socks it to her!! :maddening:

My take. For every action there's a reaction. She started "it" with her lies and now she's facing the repercussions. The state is only asking for recovery cost on the investigations on missing persons and cost obtained due to her lies of work saw grass apts. She MUST pay back.

This will always follow her for future earnings but my guess is that unethical Baez will set up any earnings in a foreign company so Florida and the IRS can not get to it. Baez better be careful fooling around with government!

My take. For every action there's a reaction. She started "it" with her lies and now she's facing the repercussions. The state is only asking for recovery cost on the investigations on missing persons and cost obtained due to her lies of work saw grass apts. She MUST pay back.

This will always follow her for future earnings but my guess is that unethical Baez will set up any earnings in a foreign company so Florida and the IRS can not get to it. Baez better be careful fooling around with government!

In jurisdictions where it is becoming more common to go after costs, it is due to public outcry. People nationwide were up in arms over the balloon boy hoax and the costs involved with attempts to recover a little boy in peril...

People nationwide were up in arms over the runaway bride...

In my state a college girl faked her own abduction. She was "rescued" and continued to lie about what happened to her at the hands of a crazed criminal. Eventually, the truth came out and she admitted that it was all a set-up.

There needs to be accountablility for these kinds of cases. Costs of investigations can be staggering not only in money spent but in search and rescue personnel being put in harm's way. When it is all due to LIES, I see nothing wrong with the liars being forced to ante up.

..news thread--"everyoneneedsavoice":

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-anthony-costs-brief-20110912,0,3525120.story
Casey Anthony: Defense team says Casey should not pay $500,000 in prosecution and investigative costs
The six-page brief filed by defense attorney Lisabeth Fryer cites the legislative intent of the statute that permits the assessment of costs for investigation. She wrote that the Legislature "clearly states that uniformity in costs is a goal."

The court, Fryer said, can "either ignore the essential requirements of the law and tax the defendant for every expense without any necessary evidence that the expenses were 'reasonably necessary to prove the charges for which (the defendant) was convicted,' or find that this lack of evidence entitles the state to the statutory minimum."

Her defense wants to limit the costs of prosecution to $50 per conviction and the cost of investigation up to Sept. 30, 2008, after the initial reports that Caylee went missing.

"The state should not be able to boot-strap its efforts in proving first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse and aggravated manslaughter of a child to the four misdemeanor convictions," Fryer wrote.

...ms.fryer seems to get a little more 'mouthy' and smart-*advertiser censored** with every new thing she files....i guess she truly is learning directly from cheney..

..if i were her i wouldn't be telling judgeP what he can or cannot "ignore"..

Possible, but not that easy any more. The Treasury Department (with and apart from the IRS) is actively seeking out money squirreled away in other countries by US Nationals and residents. Failure to report foreign bank accounts or trusts can result in huge penalties, enormous. US citizens are taxed on their world-wide income with some possible exclusions of foreign income earned and for some foreign taxes paid. However, if you have money in a foreign country over 10K, Uncle Sam has got all kinds of programs to find you and make sure you're fully paid up!

Ummmm - hmmmm -:waitasec:

Casey Anthony: Defense team says Casey should not pay $500,000 in prosecution and investigative costs
1:14 p.m. EDT, September 12, 2011

Casey Anthony's defense team has filed a new legal brief, supporting its position that Anthony should not be made to pay more than $500,000 in prosecution and investigative costs.

The six-page brief filed by defense attorney Lisabeth Fryer cites the legislative intent of the statute that permits the assessment of costs for investigation. She wrote that the Legislature "clearly states that uniformity in costs is a goal."

But the prosecution has argued that the overall investigation into the child's disappearance amounted to a tremendous use of resources and manpower and that the costs attributed to Anthony should not be so limited.

They have cited roughly $517,000 in prosecution and investigation costs.

Chief Judge Belvin Perry is supposed to make a decision on the cost issue before Sept. 22.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-anthony-costs-brief-20110912,0,3525120.story

So, are they saying OFC has $500,000 to pay them, but not a penny more? Is that what the Defense is saying?? :innocent:

I think the State is going to be happy to hear that - as will the IRS...

I'm just being silly as is Ms Fryer suggesting OCA pay $50 per conviction. And that will cover the cost of what?

OMG, the defense has LOST THEIR MINDS. 50 bucks a conviction? So a total of 200 bucks for the entire investigation spawned by Casey's lies? Are they freaking insane?!?!?!!? Oh I bet HHJP is getting a good laugh or cry out of this...

to bad the State didn't inquire the same when they were paying her bills for defense

OMG, the defense has LOST THEIR MINDS. 50 bucks a conviction? So a total of 200 bucks for the entire investigation spawned by Casey's lies? Are they freaking insane?!?!?!!? Oh I bet HHJP is getting a good laugh or cry out of this...

I hope HHJP is neither - I hope he has a look at his own Budget woes, including going for extra money to try this case, and ends up being as mad as an ole wet hen. And rules accordingly. Such lies that end up in massive spendings searching for a child the defendant consistently lied as to her whereabouts, only to spout complete nonsense three years later by saying the mother knew all along she was dead, should no go unpenalized.

Citizens need to have more respect for the tax money used to enforce their laws. All IMO of course.

I hope HHJP is neither - I hope he has a look at his own Budget woes, including going for extra money to try this case, and ends up being as mad as an ole wet hen. And rules accordingly. Such lies that end up in massive spendings searching for a child the defendant consistently lied as to her whereabouts, only to spout complete nonsense three years later by saying the mother knew all along she was dead, should no go unpenalized.

Citizens need to have more respect for the tax money used to enforce their laws. All IMO of course.

You're right. He's going to have steam coming out of his head at this motion. Oh boy.

IIRC At the hearing for costs, towards the end of the hearing, HHBP told the PT and the DT that if they had any legal briefs they wanted to turn in, for him to consider, they needed to get them turned in by Friday the 9th. The article doesn't state when LF turned in this legal brief, so this may have been done on friday, or the dt is late with the brief, and HHBP may not consider it.

IIRC At the hearing for costs, towards the end of the hearing, HHBP told the PT and the DT that if they had any legal briefs they wanted to turn in, for him to consider, they needed to get them turned in by Friday the 9th. The article doesn't state when LF turned in this legal brief, so this may have been done on friday, or the dt is late with the brief, and HHBP may not consider it.

It could have been filed at 4:54pm on Friday. Isn't that the usual....unless thwarted by traffic that is?

...and so on...

How do they expect to recover any money? She's been given special dispensation by probation and she is not even required to work. Notiariety and all that. I am betting that notiariety is going to be her excuse for the rest of her life of not working, etc.

She's long spent any money she received from selling her Caylee pics. She's got nothing left.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back