State rests rebuttal case- thread #164

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the same, but the Expert testified on cross that the embedded information on the exif(?) part of the file cannot be changed, and recorded the device as the Helio. Even if the file were transferred.

Well, the expert to whom I believe you are referring was correct in the main, but remember the context.

He was testifying only about specific pictures recovered from a Helio phone.

EXIF data apply to digital images, and within his testimony the discussion was bounded by the JPEG compression image type.

EXIF data are embedded into captured images whose digital data are then written to files by devices such as scanners and digital cameras, including those contained within other devices; e.g., phones, laptops, tablet devices, etc.

See if you recall his testimony sounding a little like this:

"EXIF is short for Exchangeable Image File, a format that is a standard for storing interchange information in digital photography image files using JPEG compression. Almost all new digital cameras use the EXIF annotation, storing information on the image such as shutter speed, exposure compensation, F number, what metering system was used, if a flash was used, ISO number, date and time the image was taken, whitebalance, auxiliary lenses that were used and resolution. Some images may even store GPS information so you can easily see where the images were taken!"

Source: http://exifdata.com/

What he stated about digital data being unalterable is, of course, not true.

Digital data may be altered by anyone who has the wherewithal.

BBM: I really doubt she would change the plates out. If she reregistered the BMW in California it would come up in her name and as a BMW, not a Ford, if a cop stopped her. If she didn't reregister the BMW it would come up in Travis' name, but still a BMW. Try explaining that to a cop and not drawing attention to herself while the cop is checking for stolen BMWs or Fords.

I think she turned the plate upside in Utah so she WOULD get pulled over. Just another little bit of proof that she was in Utah, not Arizona. :twocents:

I completely agree with you on the plate flip, Dani. There is no way in HE-double hockey sticks her plate was upside down when she went through the Hoover dam check point. I don't know if I'm the only one that researched that check point or who has crossed into US/Canada check points that is reading here, but you would never make it acrossed one of these successfully with an upside down plate.

So, she either flipped the plate once in Utah or she didn't go through the Hoover dam check point. Only two scenarios regarding the upside down plate in my opinion.

Aha!

Yes, but maybe Jodi threatened to expose the sex tape, and Travis said "get rid of it". And, she did. It was "lost".

Seems risky to take the Helio 1 to Travis to blackmail him. If she played the tape for him he can just grab the phone and smash it, throw it in the toilet..etc.

I thought Gus testified to this?
It had insurance on it...
Jodi paid him back "somehow"???

Geez the testimony is ALL just melding together!

I think her 1st cell phone was a Motorola "RAZR"

ARIAS: Yes. In the, when I got, I got my Helios phone the day I moved to Arizona. The phone that I had was a Motorola Razor, and I put it in the drink cup holder in the truck, I went to sleep in the truck. And when I woke up, I realized that send in the bottom of the drink holder with whole bunch of hot chocolate that spilled the day before. And it basically soaked in hot chocolate all night. So, my phone didn`t work anymore. "

"I met up with Gus Steve (ph) in southern California. He had a free phone deal. And he let me have the Helios. I agreed to pay him for it. But, I don`t remember how that worked out. And so, as I had this phone, figuring out the features, and then I realized we can record on it and I told Travis"

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1302/18/ng.01.html

Most of the sex tape is on here as well...an interesting read
not having to listen to her! IMO

Thanks so much for that link! Even she said, "I got my Helios phone the day I moved to Arizona," making it sound like only one. (I think she meant "from." But, at this point, who the heck knows?!?) I never took replacement phone to mean replacement Helios, just because EVERYBODY seems to be referring to one specific phone.

I'm with you. It's all running together for me. :scared: She'd better hope there were two. Otherwise, Juan will nail her during closing.

I don't believe she had this cell phone insured. That's a "Jodi story." She couldn't afford this phone on her own. Gus gave it to her. IF she got a replacement, it wasn't a Helio. :twocents:

If Gus gave it to her after she dipped the last one in chocolate, I don't think it's a leap that he'd tell her free phone, but she'd better pay the $3-5 per month for the insurance he put on it.

Do you remember when or where you heard this? This is the first I have heard of this. (I feel like I'm in a fog of mud.:please::banghead:)

I only assumed the money came from DB because she deposited it shortly after leaving him, and he behaved so strangely and unnaturally on
....Paul stern maybe???.?.

Yes! That's the name! Paul Stern! He said she paid the $800 back when she returned from Utah so that doesn't preclude the possibility that she stole the money from TA to pay back the loan from PS.

:bump:

I think she changed the CA car rental plates with the AZ plates from the BMW in Pasadena.

When she changed back to her car rental CA plates (before the Hoover Dam), she put the back one upside down.

Having AZ plates in AZ would not be suspicious. There is no way she drove from Pasadena to Mesa with an upside down CA plate.
I've driven from Phoenix-Tucson and back and there are alot of highway patrol.

That seems like a lot of work, or maybe I am misunderstanding. When I quote someone and want to be in the spot I started - I merely quote the post. Then when it posts, to go back where you started just click on the little blue arrow next to the quoted persons name.

For example, when this post shows up it will show the quoted portion in blue by atthelake. Next to your name is a little blue arrow. I click on that and it takes me right back to your original post that I quoted. You should be able to do the same on Ipad or phone.

Hope that makes sense.

On My Ipad I don't use any app to watch live feeds, or to post. I just use it the same as my computer.

Testing...

I mentioned that to long ago when the speculation of where she had her hair dyed. I felt walmart was a contender.

It didn't even occur to me until I was typing the post, the WalMart down the street from where I lived in '08 also had a hair salon and a nail place inside it. Makes good sense, she gets her hair done, maybe nails too, buys the gas can, face wipes and bronzer, all at low WaMart prices (for the budget conscious maniac).

If she got pulled over in AZ with the BMW plates, she would of lied to the cop and said "the skaters" did that.

BBM: I really doubt she would change the plates out. If she reregistered the BMW in California it would come up in her name and as a BMW, not a Ford, if a cop stopped her. If she didn't reregister the BMW it would come up in Travis' name, but still a BMW. Try explaining that to a cop and not drawing attention to herself while the cop is checking for stolen BMWs or Fords.

I think she turned the plate upside in Utah so she WOULD get pulled over. Just another little bit of proof that she was in Utah, not Arizona. :twocents:

Thanks so much for that link! Even she said, "I got my Helios phone the day I moved to Arizona," making it sound like only one. (I think she meant "from." But, at this point, who the heck knows?!?) I never took replacement phone to mean replacement Helios, just because EVERYBODY seems to be referring to one specific phone.

I'm with you. It's all running together for me. :scared: She'd better hope there were two. Otherwise, Juan will nail her during closing.

Yes--this is referencing her UHaul truck so it's moving FROM AZ. Jodi loves to confuse things with too much information. It's how she lies and gets away with it. She tells such similar stories it's hard to sort them out.

Re: the $800 - Paul Somebody - the guy she knew from the Internet cafe said that he loaned it to her. He said she told him that TA was "seeing" other people and that she was frantic to get to Mesa. Does anyone else remember this or am I in a fog?

He was on one of the HLN shows talking about it. Either JVM, DD, or NG, or all of all them. I cannot remember. He did say she was FRANTIC and DESPERATE to get to Arizona. She told him that she would reimburse him. Yeah right, like that's gonna EVER HAPPEN. :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Yeah, but if she lost her phone, then the SIM card is probably lost with it, unless she removed her SIM card, in preparation for "losing" it, which is possible. If she dropped it in coffee, then the SIM card was probably water logged and she got rid of it without trying.

If these brown hair photos was on the same phone as the sex call, she's done. She said she recorded it and lost the phone before she could delete it then it mysteriously turned up two years later while she was in jail. If she was taking pics on her phone on her murder trip then she lied and never planned on deleting the tape and just pretended it was lost but she really had it with her the whole time.

She claimed during her testiphony that she archived her photos, contacts, and recordings and did so routinely.

I don't doubt that she archived anything she might want to use to extort TA or anyone else if it served her evilness.

Make no mistake.

She did take pics on that Helio phone on June 3 and she did lie. That is not in dispute.

Which is why Nurmi's cross-exam of Robert Brown was a miserable failure.

His client had lied not only to her counsel, but to the jury in open court.

Nurmi could not, can not fix it.

Thank Nhic, I have been asking about this for weeks, JA tells Det. Flores and testifies that they slept after she got there and awoke about 1:00 p.m., had sex, took pics, showered. Travis texted with Chris Hughes at 12:13 - lie exposed that they slept until 1:00, Travis never touched his phone after 12:13 even though lots of calls and messages were coming in.

I believe he was unable to use the phone after his noon-time text.

Does anyone know if EXIF data is found with thumbnail pictures? I believe Melendez said the nudie pics were all thumbnails and both Flores and the lady detective asked JA if she had taken all of the photos on the 4th, so obviously they were unsure of some of them.

BBM

I have been looking for this information and re-listened to Melendez to try to understand this. I could not figure this out, or why some pics had no date and time stamps. Was it because they were thumbnails or was this caused by some anomaly. Why were some photos thumbnails and some not?

Yes, I also counted three! I don't think she could have lost the Helio since it seems to be the one on the trip, if that is the one the photos are on. So, she must have hidden it after she got back to Yreka.

But, she claims to have made an insurance claim on or around May 18, right? I believe it was a fake claim, but what phone she get?

She easily could have had a prepaid "throw away" phone, but what phone did she have when arrested? Didn't a rep. from Sprint testify about her phone calls?

Surely it would be easy for LE to find out if the phone had been replaced in May, regardless of what she wrote in the liary.

That's what I'm thinking, but I don't know if the Sprint guy was for Travis' phone or not. I can't remember.

And I agree about the fake insurance claim. That's up her alley to get money. I assume a claim would render her the exact kind of phone and a new sim with her phone number. She couldn't use GUS' helio anymore to make calls, but she could use it for her crime evidence.

If Gus gave it to her after she dipped the last one in chocolate, I don't think it's a leap that he'd tell her free phone, but she'd better pay the $3-5 per month for the insurance he put on it.

It's a leap for me. She was broke and never paid for anything, so far as I can tell... :blushing:

I'm not even able to think about the facts in this case as we approach THE day. Oh man. I remember when the jury had reached a verdict in the KC case and Judge Perry received the verdict forms. He spent the longest looking at it again and again. Poor Judge. I don't think he believed what he was reading.

I hope we don't have any moments like that. Just a quick guilty of murder one verdict please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maym