State rests rebuttal case- thread #166

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most seem to think that all testimony will be done and over with today. I hope so!

Thanks rose! Hope so. Doubt it though. :facepalm: It will take the DT half the day to run through Geffner's credentials. Then another half day to ask him questions. Then JM asks questions tonight. I'm wondering when this Dr. Hayes is scheduled to testify, maybe at 3 in the morning? :facepalm:

Okay, getting this day rolling so I can be back here for the start time...oh wait. I don't have to speed, do I? ;) I can't risk the usual delay.... that would be my luck. See you all later!

Good morning all :seeya:

3. Many of the jurors express they now have PTSD.... I never even considered that this may happen to them. Some said that they still have nightmares, flashbacks, and even psychical pain since the trial. Its crazy to me that the same thing JA is CLAIMING to have, is the exact thing that she is giving the jurors.... and not just them, but anyone directly involved. The families, friends, etc. I hope that once this is done that the jurors are able to move on from this and be able to let go and know that they served Justice to Travis' family. He didn't ask for this, and neither did his family.

4. They were SHOCKED when they saw the amount of coverage from the media and the general public the day the verdict was read. *I don't remember if they were sequestered or not* but I can imagine the jury of this trial will be as well.

My point - is that we may be happy about JA getting what WE think she deserves, but for the jury, this is not an easy choice. They are deciding whether or not to take another human life, knowing what she did to Travis. Now mind you, I don't think that they will have problems agreeing that she is guilty. In the SP book, even the most religious juror who didn't believe in the DP thought he deserved nothing more than that. But this is not a celebrating moment.... and that was a smack in the face to me, because I considered it to be just as everyone else. We should not be HAPPY if they choose to give her death and take her life. We should be thankful that Justice was served for Travis and his family. We should pray for JA's soul (even though we are pretty sure she doesn't have one) and we should pray for the family of all connected... even JA's family, as they are going to lose someone they love as well.
Snipped by me.

For sure. I pray for the jury and their family daily. If you've not read this article by one of Wendi Andriano it's very telling:

http://www.nlada.org/DMS/Documents/1106668066.47/0124deathjurors24.html

A few extracts:

One juror felt his knees shaking as he sat down to decide if an Ahwatukee Foothills woman should live or die.

Another says she spent the evening before the death penalty deliberations eating saltines and vomiting.

A third says she flashes back to the case, which featured a murder inside an apartment, every time she drives past an apartment complex.
advertisement

The first couple of weeks, it was kind of interesting," said juror Tanner Catalano, 27, of Gilbert.

"After it started to set in that you had to make a decision like this, it became overwhelmingly stressful."

Catalano and some of his peers on the jury argued that it is fairer for 12 everyday people to decide a death sentence than one judge. "A lot of things in life are hard. This is your duty," he said.

Catalano played ice hockey to relieve the tension but said a rule that bars jurors from discussing a case with others forced him to keep his emotions private.

"I'd walk around in a daze and people would say, 'What's wrong with you?' You can't tell them why," he said.

And then there's this:

That 78 percent rate contrasts sharply with the sentences of Maricopa County Superior Court judges, who imposed death in 15 percent of cases from 1995 to 1999, according to 2002 report by the state Capital Case Commission.

Different parts of the case resonated with jurors. Some said they were moved by Andriano's plea for life during the mitigation phase on Dec. 16, just before the final deliberations, while others considered it an Academy Award acting job.

"I just thought, 'What an act you're putting on, honey,' " Fobes said. "She was such a liar. How could you believe anything she told you?"

The jury delivered the death penalty verdict Dec. 22.

"Walking in there with that verdict, I was shaking like a leaf," Erke said, the daunting power of deciding if someone lives or dies overwhelming him. "It's 'Oh, my God, it's really happened.' "

Most are still mulling over their decision, but only one juror, a young nurse, expressed doubts.

"Sometimes, I think I'm too hard-hearted," Fobes said. "But she didn't feel any sympathy for him (the husband)."

Percy said a telling look from Andriano was reassuring after a clerk read the verdict.

"She gave us a look like, 'How dare you?' " Percy said. "I thought, 'I made the right decision.' "

Sorry. I disagree with the guy.

1. Hair dye change
2. Rental car (rented 90 miles aways)
3. THREE gas cans, and several proven lies to the Jury
4. Grandpa's .25 stolen a week previous
5. Cell phone turned off to be 'off the grid'
6. License plate turned upside down (detection purposes)
7. (For me) suntan lotion purchase at WalMart shows me MOTIVE.

I only concentrate on what happens before a crime. We are taught that after a crime, we just don't care what a person does to try to be innocent. People can do anything afterwards to try and save their own skin, but we focus on the before and during in order to get a clear picture of the crime itself - and the intent.

(Snipped for space) .

Add:
Taping sex call I feel was for blackmail
Having his passwords shows she could IM, email, and txt from his email accounts
Calling Ryan to say on her way there, knowing she was going to see Travis
Lying about not having car charger
Suspicious - was going to take pictures of Darryl's sisters baby for portfolio yet not having a confirmed appt or a professional camera - never went?
Her previous patterns

my luck my daughter will go into labor on verdict day...NOOOOOOO this cannot happen!!
Morning all!

Some kids are just so selfish! Anything for attention.

:floorlaugh:

JK Good luck Grandma. Hope all goes well.:rockon:

“I think the prosecutor did a terrible job,” he said. “They never had premeditation in the bag.”

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...#ixzz2S2feThTD

WTF trial has this guy been watching? He appears to suffer fognesia, what a stupid comment!

IMO it's the media games. If they wrote articles about the truth, people wouldn't be reading and commenting (much) because they already know what the article says. Where's the publicity in that for them? Sadly not so much.

BBM
i just don't understand how a compromise verdict would be necessary. i can't believe there will be a juror who wants to go easy on her. why?? what possible reason could there be to not see this the same as we ALL see it----she planned it, she did it, she lied about it, and is STILL lying about it. evidence of abuse? none, except from her. evidence of pedophilia? none, except from her. evidence that gun was his? zero, except from her. evidence she 'fogged up' and doesn't remember? none. she doesn't fit the criteria for PTSD.

the ONLY way this comes out 2nd degree is if someone on that jury believes some of what she says, and i just don't see how that's possible.

if we can't get first degree for THIS crime, then i think it really may be time to look into professional jurors because it will mean people are too stupid or too cowardly (see CA) to analyze evidence and reach the correct decision.

RE: BBM ^ While this may not be popular opinion here, unfortunately I can see how it would be possible for one person on that jury to believe Jodi - or at least enough of her story to feel that 2nd degree murder would be appropriate in this case. The question is, will that juror stubbornly hold out (mistrial...) or be able to sway other jurors? I am hopeful that there will be enough jurors who agree with a 1st degree murder charge and will be able to persuade the 2nd degree proponent to come around to first. :please:

As far as the second part of the comment I bolded... IMO, I'm not sure that that's fair to say. We have to remember that this jury does not know everything we know about Jodi. :banghead:

'Morning all :seeya:

JSS said the surrebuttal with Geffner will start and end today.

Now the PT has a Dr. Hayes coming in as a witness to rebut Geffner's bs.

Any chance this testimony will last 2 days now instead of the 1?

JM will only need about 10 minutes for both witnesses it's the DT that wants to stall

Snipped by me.

For sure. I pray for the jury and their family daily. If you've not read this article by one of Wendi Andriano it's very telling:

A few extracts:

One juror felt his knees shaking as he sat down to decide if an Ahwatukee Foothills woman should live or die.

Another says she spent the evening before the death penalty deliberations eating saltines and vomiting.

A third says she flashes back to the case, which featured a murder inside an apartment, every time she drives past an apartment complex.
advertisement

The first couple of weeks, it was kind of interesting," said juror Tanner Catalano, 27, of Gilbert.

"After it started to set in that you had to make a decision like this, it became overwhelmingly stressful."

Catalano and some of his peers on the jury argued that it is fairer for 12 everyday people to decide a death sentence than one judge. "A lot of things in life are hard. This is your duty," he said.

Catalano played ice hockey to relieve the tension but said a rule that bars jurors from discussing a case with others forced him to keep his emotions private.

"I'd walk around in a daze and people would say, 'What's wrong with you?' You can't tell them why," he said.

And then there's this:

That 78 percent rate contrasts sharply with the sentences of Maricopa County Superior Court judges, who imposed death in 15 percent of cases from 1995 to 1999, according to 2002 report by the state Capital Case Commission.

Different parts of the case resonated with jurors. Some said they were moved by Andriano's plea for life during the mitigation phase on Dec. 16, just before the final deliberations, while others considered it an Academy Award acting job.

"I just thought, 'What an act you're putting on, honey,' " Fobes said. "She was such a liar. How could you believe anything she told you?"

The jury delivered the death penalty verdict Dec. 22.

"Walking in there with that verdict, I was shaking like a leaf," Erke said, the daunting power of deciding if someone lives or dies overwhelming him. "It's 'Oh, my God, it's really happened.' "

Most are still mulling over their decision, but only one juror, a young nurse, expressed doubts.

"Sometimes, I think I'm too hard-hearted," Fobes said. "But she didn't feel any sympathy for him (the husband)."

Percy said a telling look from Andriano was reassuring after a clerk read the verdict.

"She gave us a look like, 'How dare you?' " Percy said. "I thought, 'I made the right decision.' "

I have read that, but thank you for posting it again. It is a reality check for sure and a GREAT read.

I think for *ME* mostly, Ive always been the type that can put my knowledge of the trial aside and think about only the things that they jury knows and make a decision from that, try to think like the jurors. But I never even THOUGHT about just how difficult it would/will be for these people in these types of trials to make these decisions. Was just a real wake up moment for me. :blushing:

I don't care if she gets LWOP or the DP. As long as its forever ...I'm good:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM

RE: BBM ^ While this may not be popular opinion here, unfortunately I can see how it would be possible for one person on that jury to believe Jodi - or at least enough of her story to feel that 2nd degree murder would be appropriate in this case. The question is, will that juror stubbornly hold out (mistrial...) or be able to sway other jurors? I am hopeful that there will be enough jurors who agree with a 1st degree murder charge and will be able to persuade the 2nd degree proponent to come around to first. :please:

As far as the second part of the comment I bolded... IMO, I'm not sure that that's fair to say. We have to remember that this jury does not know everything we know about Jodi. :banghead:

I feel it will come down to UNDERSTANDING. They may all feel she clearly planned it, but if the DT can blur it that when she got there she went back to just 'being' with Travis because after all she could have killed him right away if that was her plan.

If they can then make it look like in the time she was there a fight between them created an argument that led to the eventual cause of what they claim to be self-defense/heat of passion they could make the jury consider their version.

JM IS GOING TO HAVE TO REALLY BE CLEAR THAT JUST BECAUSE SHE STAYED A FEW EXTRA HOURS DOES NOT ELIMINATE PREMEDITATION FROM THE SCENARIO, the DT will blur the state has to PROVE it lines with reasonable, and it is beyond reasonable she planned this

Good morning all :seeya:

I am SO excited for today! Let's get this show on the road!

So, the other day I ordered the book "We, the Jury" written by 7 of the jurors of the Scott Peterson trial. It's VERY good and I am only like 35 pages in.
BUT
I realized something as I was reading this.

1. SP's jury REALLY took their duty seriously and a HOPE AND PRAY that this jury is the same.

2. In the book they talk about how they were NOT happy about having to make the decision to take another persons life, even knowing what he had done to Laci and Connor. There were fights, tears, and everything in between, but not one person expressed "happiness" or even an small expression such as a smile when they all agreed with a verdict.

3. Many of the jurors express they now have PTSD.... I never even considered that this may happen to them. Some said that they still have nightmares, flashbacks, and even psychical pain since the trial. Its crazy to me that the same thing JA is CLAIMING to have, is the exact thing that she is giving the jurors.... and not just them, but anyone directly involved. The families, friends, etc. I hope that once this is done that the jurors are able to move on from this and be able to let go and know that they served Justice to Travis' family. He didn't ask for this, and neither did his family.

4. They were SHOCKED when they saw the amount of coverage from the media and the general public the day the verdict was read. *I don't remember if they were sequestered or not* but I can imagine the jury of this trial will be as well.

My point - is that we may be happy about JA getting what WE think she deserves, but for the jury, this is not an easy choice. They are deciding whether or not to take another human life, knowing what she did to Travis. Now mind you, I don't think that they will have problems agreeing that she is guilty. In the SP book, even the most religious juror who didn't believe in the DP thought he deserved nothing more than that. But this is not a celebrating moment.... and that was a smack in the face to me, because I considered it to be just as everyone else. We should not be HAPPY if they choose to give her death and take her life. We should be thankful that Justice was served for Travis and his family. We should pray for JA's soul (even though we are pretty sure she doesn't have one) and we should pray for the family of all connected... even JA's family, as they are going to lose someone they love as well.

Saying all that, I have not in the least changed my mind that she is guilty and deserves death. BUT, it has made me realize that this is not a happy, not a partying moment. We ALL deserve a drink, yes, and and a HUGE sigh of relief, but ultimately, this is a time to be grateful its over. For everyone involved.

Just my opinion.

-- And on another note... My husband received a Jury Summons in the mail yesterday.... he looked and me and rolled his eyes. LMAO - He supports my addiction to trials, he HATES it, but he supports it. And Im pretty sure hes REALLY dreading having to possible serve jury duty. I secretly hope he does, but knowing the county its in, its not going to be anything big.

Snoopy,

Gaunlet posted this article the other day:

I am watching her testimony again on the stand and I have to say it all looks contrived. The way she answers questions.. tells her story.. Uses the words "obviously," I thought... "CRAP".. when he was coming at her..

Really?? Crap?

She is obviously spinning a tale. IT is obvious for anyone who has ever had a child/teen lie to them. The fake tears she is trying to whip up..

I can not wait until Juan's closing.

I feel it will come down to UNDERSTANDING. They may all feel she clearly planned it, but if the DT can blur it that when she got there she went back to just 'being' with Travis because after all she could have killed him right away if that was her plan.

If they can then make it look like in the time she was there a fight between them created an argument that led to the eventual cause of what they claim to be self-defense/heat of passion they could make the jury consider their version.

JM IS GOING TO HAVE TO REALLY BE CLEAR THAT JUST BECAUSE SHE STAYED A FEW EXTRA HOURS DOES NOT ELIMINATE PREMEDITATION FROM THE SCENARIO, the DT will blur the state has to PROVE it lines with reasonable, and it is beyond reasonable she planned this

she completely planned this trip to cover up ever being in AZ. the evidence of that is crystal clear. what she did when she got there, how long she stayed before doing it, etc., to me just show more clearly how obsessed she was with him. but she was STILL going to kill him before that day ended. she went prepared to do it----gun--check. gas---check. cellphone off---check. alibi (ryan)---check. destroying evidence---check.

how can the DT 'blur' that? i don't see how they can except to keep repeating TA was abusive and she was afraid, and there is NO EVIDENCE OF THAT except from her lying mouth. ANGER does not equal ABUSE and that's all they can show.

Hopefully he can clear this up with illustrating her necessity of the roommates absence in order to commit the crime.

She stuck around and toyed with her victim before she slaughtered him, make no doubt about it.

IMO

Wednesday!!!!!! FINALLY!!! Can I get a :woot: and a :woot: and a :woot: :woot:!!??!!

:seeya:

Good Morrow, Sleuthers! I have a feeling we'll be smelling smoke soon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJ_Mz8ftqI"]Carly Simon - Anticipation - 1971 - YouTube[/ame]

I am watching her testimony again on the stand and I have to say it all looks contrived. The way she answers questions.. tells her story.. Uses the words "obviously," I thought... "CRAP".. when he was coming at her..

Really?? Crap?

She is obviously spinning a tale. IT is obvious for anyone who has ever had a child/teen lie to them. The fake tears she is trying to whip up..

I can not wait until Juan's closing.

I'm watching it, too. It's very telling how much her demeanor changed from her wilting rosebud act during direct with Nurmi to the defiant smartass during JM's cross.

I'm sure the jury noticed!

Morning Everyone!

Seems like it has been an exciting weekend on the boards. I don't watch HLN or even Nancy Grace much. I feel badly for the Hughes though. I am not sure what I would personally do in their situation regarding TA and JA. Honestly, though, I do not find their conversation with TA in behind closed doors rude, but I do find eavesdropping rude, not once but twice.

I am not sure how to feel about the news about surrebutal, but am glad that Juan is getting the chance to bring someone in to again dispute the dt witness. I am sure that Juan has a reason to need another witness.

Disappointed that someone posted a lesser charge of manslaughter will be given in jury instructions. The murder/overkill seems so much more than manslaughter and seem like it shouldn't even be a part of the instructions.

However, I do think the Judge is making sure that there are no grounds for appeal and the jury's verdict will stand whatever it is. I am with others in hoping that if it is not M1 it is a hung jury. It just doesn't seem right to be anything less and if need be a second trial to make sure that happens.

I have been rewatching snippets of the trail, especially the part about the magazines someone posted the links to upthread. I remember thinking at the time of orginial viewing that she is just crazy to think anyone would believe that she had nothing to do with the words in them, but of course they were her's. Everyone is out to get poor Jodi, aka..the victim. Its how she wants to portray herself and it just DOES NOT WORK. And she doesn't realize it. Honestly, she thinks she is doing great.

I can't imagine that this new dr for the DT will help them. There are a lot of things in life that are possible...but most of them are not probable.

From the jury questions we have heard...I just don't believe that they don't have a lot of common sense among them to know that. And to know that the defense has not proven self defense in order to receive the lighter sentence. I do believe that JM has done a great job and honestly have faith that closing arguments will be really really interesting.

I am off Friday so hoping to see JM final say before it is turned over to the jury. I am also hoping for a short but fruitful deliberations.

I will be back this evening after work. Thanks to all for keeping us all updated throughout the threads!

K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member