State v Bradley Cooper 4/14/11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kurtz seems a little deflated this afternoon....

Cummings is driving me insane. He began ok....now he's slow and seems to not be able to recall even what he's asking.

Any time Cummings asks an "important" question, he just waits a bit, and lets the answer just hang there. Zell does the same thing. It's a common procedure, and effective. Kind of like drawing a line under it.

I don't think this Daniels is the type who gets rattled on the stand -- I think he will be pretty cool on cross. We'll see....

I like to think of these as pregnant pauses

I am not getting how someone from another Country has rights?? Miranda I get, but not your constitutional rights

When you go back and read the Constitution, take note that nowhere in the Bill of Rights is the word "citizen" used. Typically, the noun is "person" or "people".

1st: ... right of the people to assemble

2nd: ...right of the people to keep and bear arms.

4th: ...right of the people to be secure

5th: No person shall...

6th: The accused...

Every person in the United States, irrespective of legality or nationality, is entitled to the rights and liberties guaranteed under the US Constitution.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Ramsey case.

fran

JonBenet R. the child found in their basement, stangled and raped..Sorry OT just thought I would clearify for ya

I thought he was there on a work visa

Plenty of discussion on the net about this, if you look.

http://www.visaservices.duke.edu/ConstitutionalRights.html#q2

2.As an alien, not a citizen or national of the U.S., do I have Constitutional Rights?

The Constitution refers to three kinds of people to whom the Constitution applies: citizens, persons, and the people. Those distinctions mean that aliens have some rights, but not all. In looking at Constitutional Rights, note first to whom the discussion applies. But remember also that legal scholars often disagree on exactly how and to whom the Constitution applies.

3.What are some of the rights I have as an alien?

The most common ones discussed by immigration and civil rights attorneys are:

First Amendment – freedom of expression
Fourth Amendment – protection from unreasonable search and seizure
Fifth Amendment – protection against self-incrimination
Fourteenth Amendment – guarantee of "due process" or "equal protection" under the law
If you are an alien who has been admitted to the U.S., then generally you have these rights. If you entered the U.S. illegally and were, therefore, not properly "admitted," then some of the protections do not apply to you.

Brad's desire for cleanliness and mopped floors will be well appreciated in the years to come by his fellow residents.

Haha! Michael Peterson was on "mop duty" when he first got to Nash Correctional. He complained it was aggravating his knee and got moved to some other work duty. Maybe the library.

<modsnip> the constitution is, and who it protects. It is a document of rights afforded to EVERY person in the United States, citizen or not. <modsnip>. The only rights you must be a citizen to exercise are the right to vote, and become President. But there is nothing that can take the rights of the Bill of Rights from a person standing on American soil, no matter their country of origin.

Wasn't that the same reasoning used when the Boulder prosecutors tried to railroad the Ramsey parents?

If completely innocent... what would be A reason for not letting LE look thru your home? Just wondering.

I know the main details, but I never followed it.

It was a very sad case and the entire community, including LE, thought her parents were involved. Subsequent DNA proved that they did not--and since, the mother has died of ovarian cancer at a young age. It was never solved.

wral WRAL NEWS in NC
The trial is breaking for the day. It will resume tomorrow for a full day of testimony #coopertrial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot!