Steven Powell arrested in Washington State

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know Washington law but that's probably a bit of an overstatement. If I set up a surveillance camera in my home, even in my bedroom, and my wife is caught on it, fully clothed, doing nothing out of the ordinary...it's not voyeurism (legally speaking), regardless of whether she had an "expectation of privacy".

That concept really came from 4th Amendment law. 4th Amendment doesn't apply to private persons.

Still, it depends on local law.

You're correct. I am dealing with a situation that involves these charges (or lack of them being filed). In the same county, with the same prosecutors as the Powell case. Upskirt photographs were taken of a seven year old. Then she started posing for other photos, not knowing every shot...more than a dozen...were featuring her panties. Even though the upskirt photos came first, they won't charge--in this same prosecutor's office--on voyeurism, because the seven year old knew there was a camera in the room, if you can believe that. (Then again, this case involves the molestation of another child, caught clearly on audio tape, and the perp is walking free--because you can't admit the tape).

Appears Josh inherited the creepy genes from his father. There is an Axis I going on here for sure in both of them.

Respectfully snipped....

What a very unusual signature he has.

any pop handwriting experts here? I studied it for 10 minutes in college, lol.

Take this with a grain of salt, please-IIRC

His siggy doesnt touch the signature line, which indicates that he is not grounded in reality at this moment....perhaps he is in shock that he was arrested and charged.

It interests me that he obscures his names with writing one on top of the other.

On the surface he seems pretty full of himself, given the size of the first letters of his name, but if you look at the tiny letters following the initial one, he has a teeeny tiny sense of self in his "ego" line...his day to day person.

He thinks he is all that intellectually, BUT, on the inside he is almost invisible.

This is all from what I remember from almost 29 years ago, lol. :truce:

Which means I could be completely wrong. :)

He works for the Washington State Prison System in sales.

What's he selling to the prisons...insanity? I don't understand how the children got to stay with the father. The first time I looked at him, I could tell he was missing dots off his dominoes.

Childrens' Services all over this country is a disgrace. This is what happens when you depend on the Government to protect children. They awarded OJ Simpson his kids too..Shame on them!

They have not revealed this information yet if they did find any. Also, they are still looking through pictures to identify children. There were so many photos, they have not made it through all of them yet.

Anne Bremner on HLN stated LE has only gone through about 5% of all the pics, videos, etc.

Oh my gosh! I'm not on my normal schedule, and just saw this news on here. I'm going back to catch up reading now but just had to post. I'm glad things are moving at such a good pace right now. I hope Susan is found very soon now.

kalekona -- thanks for posting the statute. Looks like Lera213 was right (and I was wrong).

yes and no- expectation of privacy is the key- I can take a picture of you in your house and it isn't a crime but if I take one of you in the bath tub that is a crime..

kalekona -- thanks for posting the statute. Looks like Lera213 was right (and I was wrong).

I think that law recently came into effect because of some creepy pedophile here in WA that was in the streets taking pictures up little girls skirts et. al. I don't know if someone can refresh my memory of his name but he also traveled to OR and maybe even Cali... I think he moved OR for a short time too before getting busted for it. He was taunting and flaunting his crimes.

You're correct. I am dealing with a situation that involves these charges (or lack of them being filed). In the same county, with the same prosecutors as the Powell case. Upskirt photographs were taken of a seven year old. Then she started posing for other photos, not knowing every shot...more than a dozen...were featuring her panties. Even though the upskirt photos came first, they won't charge--in this same prosecutor's office--on voyeurism, because the seven year old knew there was a camera in the room, if you can believe that. (Then again, this case involves the molestation of another child, caught clearly on audio tape, and the perp is walking free--because you can't admit the tape).

That's disgusting. Sometimes I get really sick of the evidentiary rules. That said, I do understand the slippery slope issues. There's a fine line there somewhere, and I can understand DA's not wanting to waste time on "close cases."

LOL not countries, counties. As in county. I think all the US counties have extradition agreements with each other.

They must be allowing him to travel to the counties where his employment takes him.

I think people on this forum have gone way too far in putting down Josh Powell as a "mouth breather" and a failure at college/real estate. He might be, but IMHO, you are also putting down Susan for marrying him. All those insults make me wonder why Susan could not marry anybody better. She must have found something attractive in Josh to marry and have two of his kids.

Thanks for posting!

I'll say this. I've followed this closer than any other crime in my lifetime. There are lots of reasons it's resonated with me: I am LDS; I live in Utah (other side of SLC from where Susan lived, but close enough); I am a little older, but close to the same age as Josh and Susan; I have two young children; I've gotten to know some of the related parties a little; and other stuff.

To make a long story short, I feel emotionally invested in this.

In addition, I've never seen a situation where someone has been treated worse than has Susan. I won't go through every level of it, because many here have followed it as closely as I - they know the score. But this poor woman can't defend herself. She can't protect what I have no doubt was her greatest asset, her boys. She can't defend her honor and reputation. She has been victimized over and over and over.

The Powells are innocent until proven guilty, and all of that. But, come on. The audacity these people have to continue slandering this poor woman is shocking and cowardly. And then there's Chuck Cox. He's either a masterful manipulator who is an artist at public relations; or he is a decent, kind-hearted, soft spoken man going through an unthinkable tragedy.

Throw in the fact that for almost two years, we've had tantalizing tastes of potential resolution to this. We've gotten our hopes up time and time again, only to have them dashed.

I'll admit. All of that has made me think really negatively of all things Powell.

I don’t think you really believe that criticizing Josh reflects negatively on Susan, do you? If that was the case, every person who had ever been abused or murdered by a spouse must have somehow deserved it, right? I mean, they did marry someone who turned out to be a bad person, right? Surely, their spouse’s evil must have been lurking deep down inside when they were married. So, logically, they sort of got what they asked for?

Like I said, I don’t think you really believe that.

Sorry for the long post.

On page 6 of his affidavit, Chuck Cox states he believes an arrest of JP is eminent - he just doesn't know if the arrest will be in UT or WA. Is LE telling him that? I wonder why he so plainly said that? Clearly, it makes his position stronger, but I just wonder why he said that. Did someone suggest to him that should pursue custody based on that reason (rather than the reason that SP was arrested)?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/66078482/Chuck-Cox-Affidavit

IMO, you know.

Josh Powell's declaration.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/66061781/Josh-Powell-Declaration

I am SO glad he lost the case today and that her journals will NEVER again be published. Talk about invasion of privacy. Oh - that is what we have been talking about all day - SP loves invasion of privacy!

Also, isn't it considered voyeurism if he takes pics of a person's private parts even if they are clothed? I will have to go back and read the post that defines this. I think it is still an invasion of privacy if a person takes photos or videos and purposely focuses on a person's private areas!

DomCasual - that post says quite a bit. Thanks.

:goodpost: :goodpost:

IMO

What's he selling to the prisons...insanity? I don't understand how the children got to stay with the father. The first time I looked at him, I could tell he was missing dots off his dominoes.

Childrens' Services all over this country is a disgrace. This is what happens when you depend on the Government to protect children. They awarded OJ Simpson his kids too..Shame on them!

BBM
:floorlaugh: Love this phrase! May I borrow it? I'm a writer in my other life...

Josh Powell's declaration.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/66061781/Josh-Powell-Declaration

I am SO glad he lost the case today and that her journals will NEVER again be published. Talk about invasion of privacy. Oh - that is what we have been talking about all day - SP loves invasion of privacy!

Also, isn't it considered voyeurism if he takes pics of a person's private parts even if they are clothed? I will have to go back and read the post that defines this. I think it is still an invasion of privacy if a person takes photos or videos and purposely focuses on a person's private areas!

Ironic how JP and SP were so gung-ho about getting her journals 'out there', yet so miffed at the invasion of privacy and embarrassment of LE taking the computers/files/etc.

Steven Powell was fired Friday from his job at the Washington State Department of Corrections, KIRO 7 Reporter Chris Legeros confirmed.
News of his dismissal came after Powell was arrested Thursday night on charges of voyeurism and child *advertiser censored*. <modsnip>

School Rep: Powell Didn't Interact With Kids
<modsnip>

http://www.kirotv.com/news/29283968/detail.html

Mod Note: Read more at the link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics