Steven Powell arrested in Washington State

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope not. SP is not indigent. I bet he has a nice retirement fund. Cars. Possessions he could sell. I hate to see someone who owns a house and things be able to get free representation at the taxpayer's expense. Heck, he could sell all his high-end peeping paraphernalia and get a few hours of representation on that alone!

Except right now it is probably confiscated evidence...lol

Yeah but you have to think

HH expenses
five unemployed adults
2 housepayments with rent coming in for one home
legal expenses
bond
legal custody battle for grandkids

Lots and lots of expenses.

True. Lots of expenses. But that is not my problem.

His unemployed ADULT children are not the taxpayer's problem.
His house payment and his ADULT son's house payment is not the taxpayer's problem.

He can walk away from or short sell both of those houses and get a small studio apartment with his unemployment benefits.

He can sell his car. He can sell his excess furnishings. He can liquidate his retirement fund. He is nearly old enough to start collecting social security.

Just because his expenses exceed his income, that does not make him indigent. That just makes him a poor planner.

He should kick those full grown birdies from the nest and let them figure out how to fly on their own. And he can pay his own damn lawyer.

Josh Powell always struck me as bullied and abused by his father. I think SP is responsible for this situation and is the instigator that pushed things into motion or even did the deed himself with Josh's help (possibly against his will).
Who knows what footage he has and may have threatened Josh with it. Sad dysfunctional family.

Just jumping off your post x_fles. Can SP be required to get a psyche evaluation? Judge? Anyone know? TIA I think most people have some attribute of dysfunction in their family, but not necessarily leading to this type of control and certainly not sexual interest in children. I keep coming back to the issue of intimacy (not sexual) and trust in relationships. I don't think it's there...I can only envision control and at the same time see no indivdual personal growth.

It's going to be interesting to see what the remaining children now do.

If Josh brother was taking lithium for his bipolar that would cause decreased thyroid function and she would be extremely cold. Oh wow, the scenario going through my head right now.

Curious why this would cause your last statement, because TBH I don't understand. ? If you really don't want to expand on it...it's ok.

Someone asked earlier how much money Steven Powell makes. The salaries of Washington State employees are a matter of public record:

Name Agency Job Title 2010 Total Compensation*
Steven Craig Powell Department of Corrections Ind Spec 2 $53,468

Something doesn't add up. His son with mental problems might be getting a small amount of disability or whatever money, but what other income do we know about? Josh Powell is getting rent from his Utah house, but I would be surprised if that does much more than cover the mortgage and property taxes.

My opinion/theory is that he was selling his "photography" to others online. That's a LOT of pictures to have, and this guy loves to brag about his imaginary exploits, I'm sure he was bragging about the real ones somewhere as well.

True. Lots of expenses. But that is not my problem.

His unemployed ADULT children are not the taxpayer's problem.
His house payment and his ADULT son's house payment is not the taxpayer's problem.

He can walk away from or short sell both of those houses and get a small studio apartment with his unemployment benefits.

He can sell his car. He can sell his excess furnishings. He can liquidate his retirement fund. He is nearly old enough to start collecting social security.

Just because his expenses exceed his income, that does not make him indigent. That just makes him a poor planner.

He should kick those full grown birdies from the nest and let them figure out how to fly on their own. And he can pay his own damn lawyer.

I'm pretty sure you can't get unemployment benefits if you get fired like he did...

I'm pretty sure you can't get unemployment benefits if you get fired like he did...

Wow. You may be right. Yikes!

I think a couple of the adult kids living with him are ex-military and may get GI money while they attend college. That plus the disability is mighty slim. Since SP is 61, shortly to be 62, he will be eligible for SS in about 3 months. He may just take his retirement now and have a steady income. It ought to at least cover the bills.

Someone asked earlier how much money Steven Powell makes. The salaries of Washington State employees are a matter of public record:

Something doesn't add up. His son with mental problems might be getting a small amount of disability or whatever money, but what other income do we know about? Josh Powell is getting rent from his Utah house, but I would be surprised if that does much more than cover the mortgage and property taxes.

My opinion/theory is that he was selling his "photography" to others online. That's a LOT of pictures to have, and this guy loves to brag about his imaginary exploits, I'm sure he was bragging about the real ones somewhere as well.

I hope LE checks out his paypal account. That would be an easy way to accept payments from fellow pedos.

I hope LE checks out his paypal account. That would be an easy way to accept payments from fellow pedos.

I would imagine most pedos use more secretive payment methods, but Steven Powell has shown he's not the brightest criminal ever.

The detectives will get to the bottom of it either way, I'm sure they are also trying to figure out how Steven Powell is supporting a bunch of freeloading adult children and an expensive hobby.

All I know is that I saw in an old media article that JP went back to the home to get it ready to try to sell it. And in the court custody docs the home is mentioned too, something about JP trying to sell it. (No the Cox's aren't trying to contest that or trying to recover Susan's share of it. Though IMO he probably should for the boys sake.)

I remember Kiirsi talking about Josh using her computer and her husband helping JP draw up a rental agreement when he was there to do maintenance and pick up his car. I honestly don't see how he could sell the house without Susan's signature. Many with real estate knowledge stated they wouldn't touch listing a house in the situation. (Same problem in the Palmgren case now. She's missing, yet he's trying to the sell the home) Wish we had knowledge on what the legal proceedings are (normally??) in selling a home owned..or partly owned by a missing person; but agree, if it can be sold, Susan's interests should go to the boys. The outstanding mortgage could be higher than what the house could be sold for...at this time. imo Any chance they had mortage insurance?

Ed Troyer gave interviews on the Dori Monson show at noon today and the Ron and Don show at 3:00, both can be downloaded as podcasts from mynorthwest.com.

A few highlights, some haven't been mentioned in this thread...

- There could definitely be more charges filed against Steven Powell. They just filed these to get him off the streets so that he couldn't victimize anyone else.
- Some of the photos were from parks and other public places in the neighborhood where children congregate.
- Troyer implied that Powell was able to take pictures through the cracks in blinds.
- Very high end camera equipment and lots of computers.
- They are investigating whether or not he shared these pictures online.
- They have hundreds of pages of the Steven Powell investigation that won't be made public until the trial.
- Troyer was VERY careful with his words when asked if this case would be used to leverage information about the Susan Powell disappearance.

Other highlights from Dori's show
- They had speculated in the past that Steven Powell's
- A listener reported that Steven Powell attended her Zumba class and she thought it super creepy at the time. It was mostly women in the class, some brought their kids.
- Dori pointed out that this development makes Steven's creepy song lyrics that much creepier...

http://stevechantrey.com/

"I'm Missing You"

I can love you in a secret way.
I can love you each and every day.
There is nothing I can't see.
There is nothing you can't be.
It's not perfect, but I'm missing you!

There's a picture in my heart of you.
There's a place for every part of you.
I'm surviving without you.
Such a life will never do.
I'm missing you.

"Mi Muñequita"

You're pretty as a little doll
And I would like to play with all
The things that make a little doll so nice.
And you could dance and you could sing,
And you could do most anything,
And I could taste your sugar and your spice.

Chorus:
Mi muñequita,
My beautiful doll.
Mi muñequita,
Es fundamentál
Que eres todo lo que necesito
Para hacerme tan completo.
You are my little doll, mi muñequita.

I'd like to hold you close to me
And that's how it's supposed to be:
I'd pick you up and hold you to my heart.
My little doll will be my friend,
I hope it's more than just pretend,
And you and I will never be apart.

And we could find a little place,
A doll house with a little space
To have some little dolls like you and me.
And we'd be together night and day
With lots of time to laugh and play.
And that's how we would live so happily.

"I Love It When You Dance for Me"

When you do Zumba
With its Mambo and Rhumba
You can heat up the room
And make a fool of me.
¡Santa caramba!
Do the Salsa and Samba
With your excellent body
Moving endlessly.

Chorus (after each verse):
¡I love it when you dance for me!
You really shake it, ¡and how!
You do it all so easily.
¡Do it again for me now!
They’ll never find a way to stop it.
Zumba, there’s no way to top it.
I love it when you dance for me.
Zumba there’s no way to top it.
Keep it going, never stop it.
I love it when you dance for me.
I love it when you Zumba me.

Ed Troyer gave interviews on the Dori Monson show at noon today and the Ron and Don show at 3:00, both can be downloaded as podcasts from mynorthwest.com.

A few highlights, some haven't been mentioned in this thread...

- There could definitely be more charges filed against Steven Powell. They just filed these to get him off the streets so that he couldn't victimize anyone else.
- Some of the photos were from parks and other public places in the neighborhood where children congregate.
- Troyer implied that Powell was able to take pictures through the cracks in blinds.
- Very high end camera equipment and lots of computers.
- They are investigating whether or not he shared these pictures online.
- They have hundreds of pages of the Steven Powell investigation that won't be made public until the trial.
- Troyer was VERY careful with his words when asked if this case would be used to leverage information about the Susan Powell disappearance.

Other highlights from Dori's show
- They had speculated in the past that Steven Powell's
- A listener reported that Steven Powell attended her Zumba class and she thought it super creepy at the time. It was mostly women in the class, some brought their kids.
- Dori pointed out that this development makes Steven's creepy song lyrics that much creepier...

RSBM

That really makes me nauseous. It gives me the most terrible feeling about what he is capable of and what he has possibly been doing.

I hope and pray they keep this man off the streets. He is a real danger to our children and to women.

Every neighbor he has ever had should make sure that LE has pictures of their children so they can compare them to the pictures taken from SP.

He is disgusting and deranged!

I'm really curious to know how Josh will support himself. No job means he was prolly on unemployment insurance, which has surely run out by now. I was on it and rec'd the max (99 weeks). So that leaves him with the rental income, which probably covers the mortgage and taxes.

Papa Powell wasn't making a lot of money (58 a year), and was no doubt paying for his adult birds.

So now what? What are those unemployed house rats gonna do with papa in jail? Will the house go into foreclosure? How on earth is anyone going to be able to pay for an attorney (forget about bail dude).

Not that I care about what happens to Josh, et al, but I worry about the boys and the possibility of them going back to JP. I certainly hope the courts see that he can't raise the boys on his own and they go immediately to the Cox's.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

MOO

Mel

Yeah but you have to think

HH expenses
five unemployed adults
2 housepayments with rent coming in for one home
legal expenses
bond
legal custody battle for grandkids

Lots and lots of expenses.

I don't think the court will allow SP to count grown children as dependents or the grandchildren since the father is there too. The legal battle for the children is up to JP and SP only has one house payment.

He is unemployed but probably has a 401K and possibly stocks he can tap into. Other legal expenses will be counted as JP's.

moo

I'm really curious to know how Josh will support himself. No job means he was prolly on unemployment insurance, which has surely run out by now. I was on it and rec'd the max (99 weeks). So that leaves him with the rental income, which probably covers the mortgage and taxes.

Papa Powell wasn't making a lot of money (58 a year), and was no doubt paying for his adult birds.

So now what? What are those unemployed house rats gonna do with papa in jail? Will the house go into foreclosure? How on earth is anyone going to be able to pay for an attorney (forget about bail dude).

Not that I care about what happens to Josh, et al, but I worry about the boys and the possibility of them going back to JP. I certainly hope the courts see that he can't raise the boys on his own and they go immediately to the Cox's.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

MOO

Mel

The court would have to look at JP's financial situation. Can he provide for the boys as well as the environment they are in. I don't think he can get them back unless he finds a job.

I gotta tell you I've watched Ed Troyer for a lot of years, he's had some pretty intense high profile things to deal with and he has always done so with calm and dignity (including the murder of 5 LE Officers & the Tacoma Police Chief gunning down his wife in a parking lot in front of their children) I have mass respect for him. He really is one of the good ones.

I got that impression also. Remember posters from that area posting here about those officers. Unreal and so tragic.

JP could file for divorce in Court or Civil Court. Susan would be listed as a defendant in the case and, because she is missing, a legal notice would have to run in the newspaper for 30 days in an effort to notify her, if she doesn't answer that notice then JP would win by default and he could sell it.

He also can sell it but if the there was a buyer and Susan happened to show up, that buyer would not own the house and lose any money he put into it.

I have wondered about Steven Powell in Lindsey Baum and Nancy Moyer and other cases for a long time.
All of this information only strengthens my thoughts on that.

I can only HOPE that he photographs everything he does... and that if he had anything to do with any missing women, that he has photographs of them.

I am also really wondering if LE do believe that he was producing and/or distributing images??

If they DO believe that then they might freeze his assets.

If they believe he got his money through illegal activity... they might freeze it all.
Which will eliminate any funds he would have for an attorney... or anything else. :crazy:

You took the words right out of my mouth, or else there would have been a paper trail. I'm still thinking someone was hired and both knew what was going to go down. jmo

If true, why wouldn't Josh have been in Washington with Dad to have a better alibi??
Have the kids stay with his sister, since it would be obvious to everyone that Susan wouldn't want them in Washington without her.
He could have really thrown suspicion OFF of himself by being out of the state and being able to prove it.

JP could file for divorce in Court or Civil Court. Susan would be listed as a defendant in the case and, because she is missing, a legal notice would have to run in the newspaper for 30 days in an effort to notify her, if she doesn't answer that notice then JP would win by default and he could sell it.

He also can sell it but if the there was a buyer and Susan happened to show up, that buyer would not own the house and lose any money he put into it.

I don't believe it is that easy for the divorce. Desertion or abandonment has to be proven and because there was a missing person's report filed and an investigation, we don't know if she is dead or alive.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Enoch+Arden+Doctrine

On the sale of the house, that's what was found in the Palmgren case also and prolly why many realtors wouldn't touch the sale. The realtor stated they would discuss all options...so maybe a rental possiblity??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth