Suspect: Randy Allen Taylor -- Background

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not that well written but well worth the read:
http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/groups...rs-dna-solve-a-fairfax-rape-and-mor84c9a34d12

This 2011 article speaks about the use of familial DNA. I will be really surprised if this case is not related to the MH suspect and Alexis' case.

I truly believe that the unknown sample in that case was run against RAT's.
TA, & or linked to SC, and then his attorney might say something about his client not being able to get a fair trial in this county. But if is true and there is a DNA link won't that become public knowledge pretty quickly?

Right now the Commonwealth announced they found a familial match in a case that links several cases. But, at this time they are not releasing the name of that suspect. They went even further to say that the suspect is awaiting trial.

So they are hush hush in RAT's hearing and they are hush hush over the Familial DNA hit with an unknown sample. The silence in both cases just seems a little too coincidental, especially given the timing, to be unrelated, IMO.

Right now the Commonwealth announced they found a familial match in a case that links several cases. But, at this time they are not releasing the name of that suspect. They went even further to say that the suspect is awaiting trial.

So they are hush hush in RAT's hearing and they are hush hush over the Familial DNA hit with an unknown sample. The silence in both cases just seems a little to coincidental, especially given the timing, to be unrelated, IMO.

"several cases", Wow, stunning and chilling.

So they are hush hush in RAT's hearing and they are hush hush over the Familial DNA hit with an unknown sample. The silence in both cases just seems a little to coincidental, especially given the timing, to be unrelated, IMO.

I tend to agree with you. As more information is being reported about today's hearing it isn't too far out there to think the two might be related.

About 10 minutes of the proceedings were closed while county Commonwealth’s Attorney Anthony Martin presented what he said would be evidence from affidavits and search warrants sealed under an Aug. 7 judge’s order.

“Things are going to be revealed that are going to jeopardize the right to a fair trial later on,” Martin said.

He called the case “sensitive and unusual” and said the media coverage was “unprecedented for this area.”

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/n...a0c-0ba0-11e3-ba8b-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=jqm

Thought I'd link in the information JustK is referencing. It was also published Tuesday in the Richmond Times-Dispatch
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/state-regional/state-confirms-arrest-resulting-from-familial-dna-search/article_65c19914-6b03-55b5-b686-73cbaf141ab5.html

"Without specifying the type of crimes, Brad Jenkins, program manager of the department’s forensic biology section, said last week that there were several cases linked together by DNA that appeared to have been the work of the same unknown suspect. We conducted a familial search and came up with a possible relative … of the perpetrator. Police did their investigation and we did additional DNA (testing) and a person was arrested,” said Jenkins, who added that the trial is pending.

...and who was taken into custody last week?

The guy is 48 years old. He likely has gotten away with many crimes. He's not that unlucky. He has chosen his path. IMO, he does not deserve empathy. He is the equivalent of his deeds. I have a hard time believing he is really 48 years old.

Many drug users arent really their physical age inside. There have been numerous studies about arrested development and drugs. Physically they may age but on the inside they retain the maturity level of a teen or young adult until much later in life. This is so prevalent that its even routinely portrayed in movies and television shows and is partially responsible for the "slacker" meme portrayed by Bill and Ted, Wayne's World, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, Friday, etc.

Incidentally, the use of "weed" inhibits the production of testosterone. Some of you may have noticed how older hippie types can come across a little "feminine" in their mannerisms, lack of facial hair and appearance. The guy from Tosh.O or Paulie Shore immediately comes to mind.

Many drug users arent really their physical age inside. There have been numerous studies about arrested development and drugs. Physically they may age but on the inside they retain the maturity level of a teen or young adult until much later in life. This is so prevalent that its even routinely portrayed in movies and television shows and is partially responsible for the "slacker" meme portrayed by Bill and Ted, Wayne's World, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, Friday, etc.

Incidentally, the use of "weed" inhibits the production of testosterone. Some of you may have noticed how older hippie types can come across a little "feminine" in their mannerisms, lack of facial hair and appearance. The guy from Tosh.O or Paulie Shore immediately comes to mind.

Actually, I was thinking that he looks much older than 48. I think he has been living under an alias and this guy could actually be in his late 50s. I know some drugs age people but the wrinkles in his neck are very deep and look like he's closer to 60+.

Thought I'd link in the information JustK is referencing. It was also published Tuesday in the Richmond Times-Dispatch
http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/s...cle_65c19914-6b03-55b5-b686-73cbaf141ab5.html

"Without specifying the type of crimes, Brad Jenkins, program manager of the department’s forensic biology section, said last week that there were several cases linked together by DNA that appeared to have been the work of the same unknown suspect. We conducted a familial search and came up with a possible relative … of the perpetrator. Police did their investigation and we did additional DNA (testing) and a person was arrested,” said Jenkins, who added that the trial is pending.

...and who was taken into custody last week?

Good question! :seeya:

They must have RAT's DNA. So if they found DNA that is a familial match to someone they recently got in custody that would mean that it is not RAT who is linked to those crimes, but his child, sibling or parent. If RATs DNA matched to other crimes, they would say the DNA of someone we have in custody has been linked to other crimes.

I also suspect that the DNA in question will link to unsolved rapes not murders and not missing girls. While it is possible that murders leave DNA behind at a crime scene, say of they used a knife and cut themselves, the most likely source of DNA being at multiple crime scenes is in semen.

I doubt this familial DNA match has anything to do with RAT. They should have his actual DNA now, and not need a family member to link him to a crime.

They must have RAT's DNA. So if they found DNA that is a familial match to someone they recently got in custody that would mean that it is not RAT who is linked to those crimes, but his child, sibling or parent. If RATs DNA matched to other crimes, they would say the DNA of someone we have in custody has been linked to other crimes.

I also suspect that the DNA in question will link to unsolved rapes not murders and not missing girls. While it is possible that murders leave DNA behind at a crime scene, say of they used a knife and cut themselves, the most likely source of DNA being at multiple crime scenes is in semen.

I doubt this familial DNA match has anything to do with RAT. They should have his actual DNA now, and not need a family member to link him to a crime.

I don't think it could be his child unless he has more than one. His child is a minor. (Not that I don't believe minors can't be guilty of crimes, but he's minor enough I don't find it plausible...just don't want to give an age range due to the minor's privacy)

Also, I think it's quite possible there may be more than just RAT involved here. His DNA could possibly be a familial link to previously submitted DNA.

In fact, while I don't believe his child is linked to the crimes, his child's DNA very well may be a familial match. What I've found myself wondering for a while now is if there is a match within the child's maternal side of the family.

I would imagine they have his DNA now but was it in the database before his arrest on 8/11/13? His felony convictions were long ago so I'm not certain his DNA would have been collected before his current incarceration. The fact the person was arrested after the familial DNA was run is where there could be a link to RAT.

It is difficult to say exactly how this recent familial DNA news plays into this current case. Possibly not at all. Interesting nonetheless.

There was mention at one point about RAT having a brother. Was that ever confirmed? If he doesn't have siblings, that wold mean the familial match would have been made through his son? Either he voluntarily submitted DNA (seems unlikely since he seems to have a good relationship with RAT) our he was arrested and compelled to give DNA. Does anyone know if minors are subjected to the same rules about being compelled to submit DNA?

I am just having trouble figuring out who the familial member would be.

It seems like there is a general belief that RAT's DNA must have previously been obtained, identified, tested and the result entered into the Virginia and national databases. But, if it was only officially requested and obtained after Alexis' disappearance, his name may have only been on a list of many possible contributors/relatives whose unknown DNA matched a known sample.

But, unless LE had evidence or suspicion of a crime, they can't just go arrest someone or demand a clean DNA sample. Just because that person's name comes up as a possible contributor of the unknown sample...simply because they popped up as a relative through familial DNA. LE can't just arrest that person.

LE had to have probable cause to obtain DNA on RAT. The video from the Liberty, showing RAT near Alexis, may have provided the probable cause to request a search warrant and then to arrest RAT. Once arrested, under a violent felony charge, the commonwealth was able to collect a direct sample from RAT which, IMO, is the exact match to the one previously labeled unknown.

If LE got a familial hit before obtaining, securing, transporting, testing and entering RAT's and before he was arrested on the 11th. That may have been the reason, they swooped down on him so quickly.

The way it works is the unknown sample is entered into the database. When run against every other submitted sample, there may be a familial hit or hits. If there is a link, LE must then track down the known contributor and rely on basic investigative skills and on that person telling LE who their relatives are and how to find them.

It is not a simple process. It also true that even if RAT did have occasion to submit a DNA sample, that sample may not have been entered into a database until there was an actual conviction. If there was no conviction because the charges were dismissed or nollie'd, then RAT could have formally requested his sample and data be expunged.

So, until we know when this Familial Match occurred and when the potential suspect was questioned, arrested and gave his DNA sample, I will leave open that the possibility that RAT was on a list of possible suspects and LE just needed probable cause to arrest him.

Randy A Taylor was born in Florida correct?
DOB 1965
He attended Oak Harbor High School (OHHS) in 1983. Did he graduate?
Did he enlist straight into the Navy?
His address shows he lived at Olympic Drive in Oak Harbor (by the High School) but does not have a date when he lived there.
Did anyone dig up his employment or records from OHHS or Oak Harbor yet?

I am from Seattle, Washington and lived on Whidbey Island. I am very familiar with this area.
Oak Harbor is a military town mostly Navy. Many families transfer into Oak Harbor from West Virginia, Virginia, Florida, California, North Carolina etc...
All his addresses match up with military towns.

Here is what we think we know:
RAT appears on LE radar in SC in the late 80's.
By 1986/87 he was convicted in SC and served no more than six years under a YOA, rule.
By 1990, he is in The Tidewater area.
Then in Virgina Beach by 1992 he is arrested.
In 1993, he is convicted (VA BEACH) and serves time until September 1996.

Bill Thomas found some possible RAT addresses in the Norfolk/Newport News area, from 1990 up until possibly 1999.

1532 Wyoming Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23502-1546 (Jan. 1990 - Dec. 1992)

1503 Wyoming Avenue, Norfolk, VA 23502-1545 (Feb. 1997)

210 Sunset Avenue, Virginia Beach, VA 23456 (Jun. 1999)

There is no information, that WS members have found, to explain where RAT was before 1986 or from 1999- til 2002 when he is arrested in C-Ville for Arson.

A "friend" was interviewed and said that RAT once lived in New Jersey but left because LE harassed him. That has yet to be verified information.

Here is something else to consider. If he grew up in Washington, then he was very aware of the Green River Killer. Did that influence him? Maybe the way to find these girls is to look where Ridgway would have gone.

Not to mention Robert Yates (serial killer) is from Oak Harbor and lived there the same time he did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cecilgoodroe
Back