Teen sues parents after being ‘kicked out,’ wants money

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
more on the Facebook post:

The NY Post has slightly different quotes from the screed: they imply that Rachel re-edited the page and took out all the first person pronouns, making it third person to distance herself from it.

“We have been stunned by the financial greed of modern parents who are more concerned with retiring into some fantasy world rather than provide for their children’s college and young adult years,” the tirade continued. “In today’s economy there are no more meaningful jobs and without family help it’s usually military or bust.”

Read more: http://pix11.com/2014/03/07/nj-teen-suing-parents-goes-on-facebook-rant/#ixzz2vJIzh5bm

One hour before that post, Rachel also wrote:

In New Jersey (as in most states) parents are required to support their kids through high school unless legally emancipated, which I'm not. This means that they can NOT put conditions on me being at home, which they did. They can't get out of this. The fact that they cut my tuition was also clear bad faith, and a breach of contract with the school. What did they expect me to do, drop out? I am absolutely amazed at some of the cruel (and legally ignorant) comments I'm reading here.

http://gothamist.com/2014/03/07/nj_teen_suing_parents_thinks_baby_b.php

The NY Post has slightly different quotes from the screed: they imply that Rachel re-edited the page and took out all the first person pronouns, making it third person to distance herself from it.

“We have been stunned by the financial greed of modern parents who are more concerned with retiring into some fantasy world rather than provide for their children’s college and young adult years,” the tirade continued. “In today’s economy there are no more meaningful jobs and without family help it’s usually military or bust.”

Read more: http://pix11.com/2014/03/07/nj-teen-suing-parents-goes-on-facebook-rant/#ixzz2vJIzh5bm

In New Jersey (as in most states) parents are required to support their kids through high school unless legally emancipated, which I'm not. This means that they can NOT put conditions on me being at home, which they did. They can't get out of this. The fact that they cut my tuition was also clear bad faith, and a breach of contract with the school. What did they expect me to do, drop out? I am absolutely amazed at some of the cruel (and legally ignorant) comments I'm reading here.

What world is she living in. Of course they can put conditions on her living there it is called PARENTING. This girl needs people to stop enabling her and to be really out on her own. The thing is now she thinks she is out on her own but she is living with her best friend. She needs some real reality.

I agree with a poster way back... the next people to be sued by this little twit will be the Iglesino's!

In today’s economy there are no more meaningful jobs and without family help it’s usually military or bust. I see parents like this every day, children were always an accessory to them and nothing more, once that accessory grew up and went out of fashion, much like a marriage that people allegedly commit to, the child becomes a throwaway, that’s just how it is.”

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/03/07/rachel-canning-slams-parents-greedy-suing-lawsuit/

S& BBM

Sounds like a plan!

girl-soldier-kiss.gif

Well you little brat that makes a bunch of us... cuz we are absolutely amazed at the cruel (and legally ignorant) comments you made to your parents!

Rachel posted a self-righteous Facebook rant (today) Friday slamming her parents’ generation — ironically enough — as greedy and entitled:

“Suburban baby boomer types are the spoiled lot, they make massive amount of money a year, they are used to flying to luxury destinations when they want, and buy things that they don't need, people should be inclined to see things my way,” Canning wrote in an early morning outburst on Friday.

The now-middle-aged parents prefer “retiring into some fantasy world rather than provide for their children's college and young adult years,” she said in the unexpected commentary, which expanded to making sweeping statements about the current state of the job market.

“In today's economy there are no more meaningful jobs and without family help it's usually military or bust,” read the rant.

“I see parents like this every day, children were always an accessory to them and nothing more, once that accessory grew up and went out of fashion, much like a marriage that people allegedly commit to, the child becomes a throwaway, that's just how it is,” Canning wrote on Friday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...facebook-rant-article-1.1714105#ixzz2vIVOJ9JQ

BBM: I'm thinking that it is too bad she can't be put into the military for a while after she graduates high school. Maybe a real, tough as nails drill sargent could make her rethink her opinion of her parents.

Here's the entire post.

“Suburban baby boomer types are the spoiled lot, they make massive amount of money a year, they are used to flying to luxury destinations when they want, and buy things that they don’t need, people should be inclined to see things my way.

I have been stunned by the financial greed of modern parents who are more concerned with retiring into some fantasy world rather than provide for their children’s college and young adult years.

In today’s economy there are no more meaningful jobs and without family help it’s usually military or bust. I see parents like this every day, children were always an accessory to them and nothing more, once that accessory grew up and went out of fashion, much like a marriage that people allegedly commit to, the child becomes a throwaway, that’s just how it is.”

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/03/07/rachel-canning-slams-parents-greedy-suing-lawsuit/

BBM - now that gave me a chuckle. For parents who are in their 50's (me and DH) we do not have the luxury or the means to send our DS off to some uni for a 4 year degree. Now back in the day we were able to save about 10K in a college fund for him. He knows it's there, and it's to be used for tuition and books only. He's already talked about moving out at 18 - which is fine with me. He needs to be independent, and is in no way considered a throwaway. I left the nest at 17. My brother went to the military. My other brother went to college, and my sister became a SAHM. Our parents didn't give us two pennies to rub together.

We've already talked about him going to a community college for 2 years to get his 60 credits for a State college. At which time, he'll take out his own student loans. He'll probably want to stay in San Diego, but me and DH are gonna go retire in a cheaper state. Should be interesting.

MOO

Mel

I'm holding out a tiny sliver of hope that she's just emotionally immature to the tenth power.....and she's not a psychopath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If she created a profile on a dating site in her father's name that swings from emotionally immature into the evil column.

Jmo this girl is dangerous. Look at all she has gotten away with. Hopefully the judge will order treatment for her. Jmo I would not bring her back into my house.

ciao

This girl is out of her ever-lovin' mind. Can't wait for the judge to read this. She is sharpening the blade for her own execution. What an idiot. I doubt she would even make it through college, partying the way she already does and she wanted, what... $654.00 PER WEEK from them.

Get a job and pay for community college.

I wouldn't give her one red cent unless and until she completed two years of community college- with good grades- then I would send her to whatever University she chose- after that, and only after she had proven herself changed, reliable and responsible.
That's well over $2,000/month!!! Without doing the math. As a family of 3, we try to exist on one income on $2,000/month! What does that little brat need that kind of money for???:banghead::banghead::banghead:

If she created a profile on a dating site in her father's name that swings from emotionally immature into the evil column.

Jmo this girl is dangerous. Look at all she has gotten away with. Hopefully the judge will order treatment for her. Jmo I would not bring her back into my house.

ciao

Oh dear - she did! And I heard in court that she left a pretty vulgar message to her mom. Yup - I'm going the psychopath route on this one!

MOO

Mel

BBM - now that gave me a chuckle. For parents who are in their 50's (me and DH) we do not have the luxury or the means to send our DS off to some uni for a 4 year degree. Now back in the day we were able to save about 10K in a college fund for him. He knows it's there, and it's to be used for tuition and books only. He's already talked about moving out at 18 - which is fine with me. He needs to be independent, and is in no way considered a throwaway. I left the nest at 17. My brother went to the military. My other brother went to college, and my sister became a SAHM. Our parents didn't give us two pennies to rub together.

We've already talked about him going to a community college for 2 years to get his 60 credits for a State college. At which time, he'll take out his own student loans. He'll probably want to stay in San Diego, but me and DH are gonna go retire in a cheaper state. Should be interesting.

MOO

Mel
You & me both. I'm a baby boomer in my 50's and hubby is in his 60's and we will be lucky if we can afford to send DD to a 4-year college without help. She's going to be applying for scholarships as soon as she is old enough. We did start a 529 plan for her years ago, but haven't been able to add to it.

Honestly, can you imagine what most of the country thinks of this entire situation?

People that have devoted their lives to a company, worked hard, have done well at their job, and have been loyal to a company and are worried about being laid off or worse yet- have been.

People who have worked hard and done what's right and have lost their jobs and homes anyway.

People, who in their wildest dreams, couldn't imagine having an extra $300 to leave behind for their kids for "incidentals", while a refrigerator is stocked and the house has cable, computers, games and god knows what else, while they fly off for five days to vegas at a luxury hotel while half the local police force drive by their house to make sure their kids are safe and aren't throwing parties?

People that would give anything for their kid to go to a half way decent and SAFE public school, let alone a private one.

Families who have good kids, with sharp minds who are respectful, kind and help others who cannot even dream of being able to afford a 4 year college- let alone a community one.

This girl represents everything that is wrong with this country on a much bigger scale. The people who have the world at their feet and yet throw it away when there are good people who would give anything to have 1/4 of the opportunity given to them.

I'd slap that girl myself if I had the opportunity and I'd tell her parents to get home and change everything they've been doing for the sake of possibly saving the other two daughters left at home and to get their own ridiculous **** together in the meantime.

This is reprehensible, when many good people are wondering where their next meal is coming from and weather or not they can pay the electric bill.

These people are in la-la land, the whole lot of them.

Oh dear - she did! And I heard in court that she left a pretty vulgar message to her mom. Yup - I'm going the psychopath route on this one!

MOO

Mel

Here's the link talks about trying to open profile in father's name. Look at last paragraph.

Just the thought that now your own child can ruin you on the internet. Something for all parents to think about. Jmo

Teen sues parents after being ‘kicked out,’ wants money - Page 8 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

ciao

lol. this is one of the wackiest cases i have ever come across. it is literally insanity. it is the stuff D listed movies on lifetime are made of......usually completely unbelievable.

I wouldnt be surprised if life time movie network makes a movie out of it:hills:

You know I am a big believer in the fact that it is a parents job to parent until a child attains legal majority. And in that post listed by the gothamist the girl made a good point that the parents should be parenting. (Just wait and keep reading.)

As parents they should be legally obligated to support her. Standard child laws exist and should be applied. I wonder if she can live on standard child support?

As parents they also have an obligation to protect her from bad influences. Obviously she has put herself in a vulnurable position through her poor decisions and exposed herself to some poor influences who may be taking advantage of her.

As parents they should try to reduce those influences. Since most of those influences seem to be connected to the school somehow...... the school has got to go. They should formally withdraw her from private school (parents can do that.) And immediately enroll her in public school. If any refunds are due back from the private school, dispensation can be made to the person who paid the fee in the first place. The girl should be immediately and legally advised of her change of school and that failure to attend will be noted and will result in legal charges (truency, incorrigible or whatever applies.) Or better yet at age 18 and not attending school, wouldn't she be considered emancipated?

As far as college fees go standard law should apply. Does standard law say the child has to go to the most expensive school? Do they apply a grade standard?

If parents can afford it I would advise them to hire a private detective and find out just exactly what this little girl is up to. I also believe there is more going on.

Honestly, can you imagine what most of the country thinks of this entire situation?

People that have devoted their lives to a company, worked hard, have done well at their job, and have been loyal to a company and are worried about being laid off or worse yet- have been.

People who have worked hard and done what's right and have lost their jobs and homes anyway.

People, who in their wildest dreams, couldn't imagine having an extra $300 to leave behind for their kids for "incidentals", while a refrigerator is stocked and the house has cable, computers, games and god knows what else, while they fly off for five days to vegas at a luxury hotel while half the local police force drive by their house to make sure their kids are safe and aren't throwing parties?

People that would give anything for their kid to go to a half way decent and SAFE public school, let alone a private one.

Families who have good kids, with sharp minds who are respectful, kind and help others who cannot even dream of being able to afford a 4 year college- let alone a community one.

This girl represents everything that is wrong with this country on a much bigger scale. The people who have the world at their feet and yet throw it away when there are good people who would give anything to have 1/4 of the opportunity given to them.

I'd slap that girl myself if I had the opportunity and I'd tell her parents to get home and change everything they've been doing for the sake of possibly saving the other two daughters left at home and to get their own ridiculous **** together in the meantime.

This is reprehensible, when many good people are wondering where their next meal is coming from and weather or not they can pay the electric bill.

These people are in la-la land, the whole lot of them.
Yeah, my DD goes to a "safe" public middle school, yet I had a scare yesterday when there were 2 fire engines, 2 ambulances, 2 police cars, and a helicopter there yesterday at pickup! Turns out a kid fell and hit his head during the last period of PE and was airlifted to a hospital to be checked out, but my fear was a gun....

You know I am a big believer in the fact that it is a parents job to parent until a child attains legal majority. And in that post listed by the gothamist the girl made a good point that the parents should be parenting. (Just wait and keep reading.)

As parents they should be legally obligated to support her. Standard child laws exist and should be applied. I wonder if she can live on standard child support?

As parents they also have an obligation to protect her from bad influences. Obviously she has put herself in a vulnurable position through her poor decisions and exposed herself to some poor influences who may be taking advantage of her.

As parents they should try to reduce those influences. Since most of those influences seem to be connected to the school somehow...... the school has got to go. They should formally withdraw her from private school (parents can do that.) And immediately enroll her in public school. If any refunds are due back from the private school, dispensation can be made to the person who paid the fee in the first place. The girl should be immediately and legally advised of her change of school and that failure to attend will be noted and will result in legal charges (truency, incorrigible or whatever applies.) Or better yet at age 18 and not attending school, wouldn't she be considered emancipated?

As far as college fees go standard law should apply. Does standard law say the child has to go to the most expensive school? Do they apply a grade standard?

If parents can afford it I would advise them to hire a private detective and find out just exactly what this little girl is up to. I also believe there is more going on.
She does deserve a high school education, but nowhere does it say it has to be a private school. Public school is good enough for most of us! And if she is at home, how is it that the parents can't put conditions on her???

LinasK! Oh my gosh, you must have been terrified. I hope the kid is ok. That must have been one heck of a fall or head bump!

She does deserve a high school education, but nowhere does it say it has to be a private school. Public school is good enough for most of us! And if she is at home, how is it that the parents can't put conditions on her???

She is 18. State law offers to educate her, but actually she isn't legally required to be educated I don't think. For instance she can quit at any time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back