Teen sues parents after being ‘kicked out,’ wants money

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
but he's not of record so I don't believe he belongs on that side of the wall in the courtroom. He can sit and lean over if he needs to talk. Just strikes me as why does he need to be there in the frey, is he coaching the lawyer??

She is probably his lawyer, so she would not work for the same firm as him. Even lawyers need lawyers to represent them.

BBm

Someone else probably already replied to this. For most issues you are correct. Except for FASFA. FASFA requires either the parents financial information or a court document stating the person requesting financial assistance has been legally emancipated. This is required until the person is 21.

So, she is not eligible for financial assistance. That doesn't mean that the parents are on the hook for it.

There's always *advertiser censored*....or stripping;)
She'll probably receive a call from Larry Flint by the end of next week!

I'm still a little surprised Casey Anthony turn down his offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging from her facial structure in her most recent images, I would guess that she has the body type that would frump out when puberty ends, so I doubt those options would be available to her for long.

She doesn't seem the type anyway.

You're right. Sorry. If I was his lawyer I wouldn't have let him do it, though. That had the potential to go way South.

eta: you practice family law, right. In that area of practice are the parties encouraged to talk to each other directly?

Settlement is always encouraged and you can be sanctioned for impeding settlement in California. Also, both parties in California family law custody cases must attend mediation, without their attorneys, prior to the hearing.

Gitana - do you have any feelings about the "no fault" " you gotta pay for this kid no matter what" and what Rachel's lawyer also said about the Canning parents make false statements? How is she going to prove that? Does it matter? Can she say whatever she wants in a hearing but have nothing to back it up?

I'm not sure what you mean by no fault. At emergency hearings, people don't usually present evidence. It's more "offers of proof" and argument. The lawyer is trying to frame the facts the way she wants to. The judge will look at everything at the next hearing and decide who's credible.

I'd like to see the emails from the mom to child and the declaration from the school official at Morris Catholic.

In any event, based on the legal argument of the parents, since RC voluntarily left and is living with other people, who are not communicating with the Cannings, she is outside the sphere of parental influence (for example, not like at a boarding school the parents sent her to or with a relative the parents asked to care for her temporarily), and so she is emancipated. And entitled to zip.

The law about college tuition seems to be that parents in a divorce type situation may be ordered to share college expenses based on ability to pay and within reason, and other factors. But this is not a divorce. Again, she told the parents to eff off and now wants them to be responsible without input from them.

However, she argues the law still applies to her despite no divorce. So here are the factors the court considers in such cases:

 Whether the parent, if still living with the child, would have contributed toward the costs of the requested higher education;
 The effect of the background values and goals of the parent on the reasonableness of the expectation of the child for higher education;
 The amount of the contribution sought by the child for the cost of higher education;
 The ability of the parent to pay that cost;
 The relationship of the requested contribution to the kind of school or course of study sought by the child;
 The financial resources of both parents;
 The commitment to and aptitude of the child for the requested education;
 The financial resources of the child, including assets owned individually or held in custodianship or trust;
 The ability of the child to earn income during the school year or on vacation;
 The availability of financial aid in the form of college grants and loans;
 The child's relationship to the paying parent, including mutual affection and shared goals as well as responsiveness
to parental advice and guidance; and
 The relationship of the education requested to any prior training and to the overall long-range goals of the child.

Look at the second to last one. Hmmm.

I hate to say this, but I feel a little sorry for Rachel looking at that FB page. Serious hate going on.

I feel doubly bad for Mom and Dad. But.... they still seem to think it's "other people" who are to blame for Rachel's behavior

In a different video I saw him sitting at the table with a chair in between Rachel and her attorney. Then it looked like court had begun and he had been sent to the gallery and his chair removed....What is that about?

The lady attorney saying that the Cannings were lying, that they should have been so embarrassed by this whole episode, that they rejected Mr Inglesino's attempts to help....Made my blood boil
.... then when the judge asked her if she was aware that the MC teacher had actually reported something different to "The Division" and she answered
"Well, Morris Catholic has retained an attorney now" ...... I felt a little better

The court is generally relaxed about who mills about counsel table prior to the hearing starting. The fact that he's an attorney himself and acting as a de faction guardian for the child further makes his appearance there a non- issue for the court officials.

Just had a thought. Does anyone think she was trying to cause parents divorce for financial gain for herself. If it is easier to get college paid for if parents are divorced rather than her final scenario of running away from home maybe this was part of her plan setting up a dating account for her Dad.

Canning, 18, posted a comment about her situation on her official Education For Rachel Facebook account, relating it to Bristol Palin's teen pregnancy using a photo of her famous mother.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/26176/...parenting-during-bristol-palins-pregnancy.htm

"Rachel is being treated the same way Bristol Palin was treated when her dreams of going to college to get a nursing degree were cut short by her teen pregnancy at age 17," the Facebook post stated. "It looks like parents nowadays would try to find any excuse to give up their parenting responsibilities."

Canning, 18, posted a comment about her situation on her official Education For Rachel Facebook account, relating it to Bristol Palin's teen pregnancy using a photo of her famous mother.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/26176/...parenting-during-bristol-palins-pregnancy.htm

"Rachel is being treated the same way Bristol Palin was treated when her dreams of going to college to get a nursing degree were cut short by her teen pregnancy at age 17," the Facebook post stated. "It looks like parents nowadays would try to find any excuse to give up their parenting responsibilities."

Thanks for posting RC commentary. Re Bristol Palin pregnancy how did Sarah Palin cause that. RC is really in lala land. Some spoiled Kids want to blame parents for everything.

I really believe now, after everything that has come to light so far, that RC is personality disordered- of the disturbing type!

(that cute phraseology came from Karmady, so I can't take credit!)

earlier today on her "Education for Rachel" page:

If higher education was not as absolutely messed up as it is, things would've been different, but right now its pretty messed up.

Not living with your parents should not be punishable by loss of a quality education, this is how how messed up higher education is, and that’s not Rachel's fault. If things have to be that extreme, then there is no reason why the parents should be able to keep their welfare benefits that will be paid out of her wallet.

There is no moral reason why Rachel's parents should be rewarded with a higher lifestyle when at the same time they are actively lowering their daughter's income.

https://www.facebook.com/educationforrachel

So she's still delusional, eh? No remorse, no second thoughts, no softening of her stance.

Just had a thought. Does anyone think she was trying to cause parents divorce for financial gain for herself. If it is easier to get college paid for if parents are divorced rather than her final scenario of running away from home maybe this was part of her plan setting up a dating account for her Dad.

I don't know that she had already thought about a divorce as financially better for herself, but I would be willing to bet she did anything she could to make the parents split up. Who sets up a dating service for their married father without a spiteful motive?

New firm retained to represent parents in suit

http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/...suit_filed_by_their_18-year-old_daughter.html

The Roseland law firm of Snyder & Sarno announced today that it has been retained to serve as the new counsel for Sean and Elizabeth Canning ...

In a statement, lead attorney Angelo Sarno said, "The case is without any legal merit. Government cannot police the day-to-day financial affairs of parents and their children while the family is intact."

Sarno indicated he will be looking for an out-of-court solution.

The case, Sarno said, "must be resolved quickly, preferably without any involvement of the court and/or legal counsel. It is the goal of the Cannings to be present at their child's graduations, her wedding and at the birth of their grandchildren."

If the case cannot be amicably resolved, "It is our intention to move expeditiously for a dismissal," Sarno added.
Sarno asked the news media to "respect the privacy" of the Cannings, saying they will have no further comment until the matter is resolved.

"Obviously, they are heartbroken by all that has transpired," he said. "This is a difficult time for them, made even more difficult by the level of publicity that this case has received."

The Cannings have been represented by Bernardsville attorney Laurie Rush-Mauret. She could not be immediately reached for comment on why she is leaving the case.

Mendham Township Committeeman Rick Merkt is a former assemblyman who ran against Christie in the 2009 Republican gubernatorial primary. At the time, Merkt charged that Inglesino had offered him a job if he would pull out of that race.

The Inglesino connection also spotlights the way in which Christie used his prior position as U.S. Attorney to prepare for that run for governor, Merkt said. Christie gave a $3 million monitoring deal to a law firm where Inglesino worked. Inglesino then began to push the Christie candidacy, he said.

“He was rounding up support for a Christie campaign long before Christie left office,” Merkt said.

Merkt said Christie used the U.S. Attorney’s post as “a patronage deal.” In the wake of the Bridgegate scandal, that and other sweetheart deals with high-powered lawyers are serving to bring the curtain down on the Christie campaign for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf...priced_lawyers_are_divorced_from_reality.html

A press conference to announce details of the development will take place at 1:30 p.m. in front of the law offices of Snyder & Sarno in Roseland.

Nj.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope they can move forward, and privately mend fences while receiving the family therapy they need.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back