Tempo Restaurant: What Happened There?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree, though I think the charge might have been added that Chief Longo found it as a possibility to run by the DA. Longo went to law school, so he would be familiar with the charges. He said right out in an interview that it was the DA's office's decision not to arrest and charge JM when they had him both times within arms length. Not enough evidence for DA to give the "go" signal. This charge seems to fit well, by the way.

If LE has nothing more than evidence that Hannah was in JM's car, or even that they had sex, it's going to be a problem putting much of a case together against him. All he has to say is that she wanted to be let out afterwards and he did as he was asked, that any and everything was consensual. So a lot rides on the forensic evidence and whether Hannah is found, and what evidence is found on her when she is. Though, JM's behavior is erratic, I don't think it's proof positive of killing or harming her.

Jesse is already somewhat committed to the story that they parted ways after they left Tempo, as that is the story that his grandmother told the media. The grandmother could be asked to testify, and the reporter that interviewed her can also vouch for what she said.

Where was HG walking to? Was she walking to Tempo or was she just walking? Tempo is at the end of the mall, right? She is walking away from her house. I think she was going to meet someone.

You are correct in that there hasn't been anything released to the public that points to JLM slipping something in Hannah's drink. It has all been speculation. But much of that speculation seems to stem from when the warrant for JLM's arrest was upped from reckless driving to abduction with intent to defile. The big question is what led to the "intent to defile" charge. Unless I missed it in my hours upon hours of reading the news and the threads here at WS, we don't know.

I wish I could pinpoint the posts here at WS now, but I'm not savvy enough at searching yet. The user gitana, who is a lawyer, spelled out what would be required for that charge. (It was probably in an older GD thread?). Without knowing if an eyewitness saw HG being forced into a car by JLM, we don't know if she went against her will or not. However, the "intent to defile" charge came after his car and home were searched, making people wonder if something was found that would substantiate the charge.

Pure speculation on my part, but it seems like finding something like Ambien or Rohypnol in his car or apartment would justify the charge.

In a previous GD thread, I posted links to a number of other cases where people in Cville were charged with abduction with intent to defile. There were different circumstances in each case but basically they all included taking someone or trying to take someone somewhere they didn't want to go and having the appearance of wanting to do harm. In one case a car stopped beside a woman walking along the road. The man in the car tried to abduct the woman and tried to get her in his car, attempting to strangle her as he did so. There was a struggle and she got away before he was able to get her in the car. He was charged with abduction with intent to defile. In another case a woman got into a car voluntarily to go to place A then says the man driving took her to an abandoned house in a rural area (not place A) and left her there. She says she believes he drugged her but also said she didn't remember anything other than him taking her there and leaving her. He was charged with abduction with intent to defile.

I initially believed that Hannah was looking for the second party and got lost, but now I think that the first party was the dinner at the Fig Bistro and Bar, and the second party was at Camden Plaza Apts. Someone offered to walk her home at 11:50PM, but she declined. Instead of heading home, she went to McGrady's Pub on Grady St. In the video, it looks like she walked up on the East side of the building, walked around the patio, cut through the space between the building and the patio, and then headed East on Preston Ave towards the Pedestrian Mall. There are several signs on Preston Ave. indicating the directions for the University, and the Pedestrian Mall. I too now wonder if she was in that head space (party is over, but she wanted to party some more) where she'd had a few beer, and wanted one more.

If Jesse asked her if she wanted another beer, that is probably the reason she went with him to Tempo. If she was completely incapacitated when she left that bar, I'm inclined to believe that something was slipped into her drink.

This map and timeline leaves out one of the stops/parties where HG has been reported to have been. When she left Camden Plaza, she ran into a male classmate on the street and went to another party with him at an apartment in the location of 14th & Wertland. They say she left there around 12:15 a.m. and was next seen on the McGrady's video.

Now THAT makes sense as far as WG's actions to me. Just imagining him as WG hanging out on the mall at 1:00 a.m. has not made sense to me...

This isn't completely directed at you because this topic has come up before but I think it's a little ridiculous that people think WG is suspicious simply because he was out in downtown Charlottesville - a known entertainment area - on a Friday night. I don't find that strange at all and if you are going to bars then 1AM is not that late to be enjoying a night on the town.

It seems like people are saying that he doesn't have any business to be visiting this area because he's too old and there are nothing but college students around.
And on the other hand, people also say that Hannah doesn't have any business to visit Downtown because all the UVA students hang out at The Corner on weekends and only "townies" go downtown.

So no one over the age of 30 nor any college students apparently have permission to be on The Mall at night. That leaves very few people who are allowed to go there.

In a previous GD thread, I posted links to a umber of other cases where people in Cville were charged with abduction with intent to defile. there were different circumstances in each case but basically they all included taking someone or trying to take someone somewhere they didn't want to go and having the appearance of wanting to do harm. In one case a car stopped beside a woman walking along the road. The man in the car tried to abduct the woman and tried to get her in his car, attempting to strangle her as he did so. There was a struggle and she got away before he was able to get her in the car. He was charged with abduction with intent to defile. In another case a woman got into a car voluntarily then says the man driving took her to an abandoned house in a rural area and left her there. She says she believes he drugged her but had said she didn't remember anything other than him taking her there and leaving her. He was charged with abduction with intent to defile.

Hmmm, so anytime a man picks up a woman, he wants to have sex? In reality that might be true...but legally?

I'm not saying these guys are not on the mall, but I've been there at least a dozen times and I've never seen one, so I'm not sure what kind of presence they have.

I noticed during the Paint the Town Orange pep rally video there were cops on bicycles, I've never seen them there in person either.

Added: I don't know why they don't have one or two cops patrol the mall from midnight to 3 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights. That can't be fit into the budget? Maybe they need to raise taxes down there.

Tempo did not say the bold part. Why do you believe that is true? Doesn't seem likely to me.

Tempo says JM was in the bar buying beer at 1:10. The Tempo door woman "Abby" says she saw JM and HG leave Tempo at 1:40 or 1:45. Tempo also says that HG was never in Tempo - hence HG would have to have been waiting outside, assuming that she arrived with JM and left with JM and didn't enter the bar.

Hmmm, so anytime a man picks up a woman, he wants to have sex? In reality that might be true...but legally?

Picks up a woman who doesn't want to go with him or doesn't want to stay with him and there is some kind of evidence that he had bad intentions (strangling, drugs to drug someone etc.). Neither of the cases I mentioned had evidence of a sexual aspect to them.

Jesse is already somewhat committed to the story that they parted ways after they left Tempo, as that is the story that his grandmother told the media. The grandmother could be asked to testify, and the reporter that interviewed her can also vouch for what she said.

That is what a TABLOID said that grandma said that his mom said that Jesse said. I am not sure I would call tabloids media or believe a reporter actually interviewed grandma.

Having read the Coy Barefoot article and watched a few video interviews by Brice Cunningham it is pretty clear what is going on here ie: CYA.

Two examples:

Abby, who had been checking IDs at the door since about 10pm, does not remember seeing LJ come back to Tempo just after 1am, which would have been only a few minutes after he’d left

In one video of BC he says he was assisting Abby id'ing on the door (not mentioned in the Barefoot article) and in another one he says only JM's CC was in there and neither he nor staff saw him (or HG) on his second visit.

This map and timeline leaves out one of the stops/parties where HG has been reported to have been. When she left Camden Plaza, she ran into a male classmate on the street and went to another party with him at an apartment in the location of 14th & Wertland. They say she left there around 12:15 a.m. and was next seen on the McGrady's video.

Interesting, where did you read this info? If true, it leads me to believe she typed that text much earlier, maybe way before 12:15 when she and the friend were actually heading to Wertland party- and she didn't hit send until 1:06 am or 1:20 am. I've forgotten to hit send after typing many times, myself. Could be that when she opened her iphone, it was still on that text page, she hit send to get to another area of the phone like maps or calls

Tempo says JM was in the bar buying beer at 1:10. The Tempo door woman "Abby" says she saw JM and HG leave Tempo at 1:40 or 1:45. Tempo also says that HG was never in Tempo - hence HG would have to have been waiting outside, assuming that she arrived with JM and left with JM and didn't enter the bar.
Nope.

Interesting, where did you read this info? If true, it leads me to believe she typed that text much earlier, maybe way before 12:15 when she and the friend were actually heading to Wertland party- and she didn't hit send until 1:06 am or 1:20 am. I've forgotten to hit send after typing many times, myself. Could be that when she opened her iphone, it was still on that text page, she hit send to get to another area of the phone like maps or calls

That makes a lot more sense. Then what may have happened is that she was at the party at 14th and Wertland, and when she got to Preston, that's where she made the mistake of thinking that she was on Main.

This isn't completely directed at you because this topic has come up before but I think it's a little ridiculous that people think WG is suspicious simply because he was out in downtown Charlottesville - a known entertainment area - on a Friday night. I don't find that strange at all and if you are going to bars then 1AM is not that late to be enjoying a night on the town.

It seems like people are saying that he doesn't have any business to be visiting this area because he's too old and there are nothing but college students around.
And on the other hand, people also say that Hannah doesn't have any business to visit Downtown because all the UVA students hang out at The Corner on weekends and only "townies" go downtown.

So no one over the age of 30 nor any college students apparently have permission to be on The Mall at night. That leaves very few people who are allowed to go there.

I don't think anyone is objecting to folks over 30 being out on a night on the town.

The footage of WG looking over his shoulder, hiding in the doorway, then following Hannah is what creeps some of us out. It seems like bizarre behavior. Why not just walk up to her and ask if she needs help directly? Offer to call a cab or a friend, etc.

Agreed, and I would also like to add that many times I have sent a text and the receiver has not gotten it for a delayed amount of time. This has also happened vice versa from someone to me.

In regards to Tempo, you best believe they are CYA. Just take a good look at HG in those videos, she was on a mission, although she was intoxicated, drugged or whatever, she was going places and on the move. She was walking at a very fast pace the whole time. No way would she be waiting outside for JM for 30 some odd minutes while he has 2 drinks. She was anxious, on the move and appears as though no way could she sit still. They are only saying that HG never came inside because it would be all over for them. Despicable to lie about it???, yes, of course. But, if it was proven that they not only served an underage person, but one already very intoxicated, they would loose everything. Not to mention the fact that person is now missing. I do not believe them for a minute. JMO! Of course

Originally Posted by Evie Ivy Over

Here's the info about the last party before HG left that area. I think it's also odd why this last party was minimized and left out of most of the published timelines. Honestly, I had a difficult time re-finding this information:

Police say Graham met friends for dinner Friday on the Corner. Her next known location was at GrandMarc apartments on 15th Street, where she is seen in a video footage screenshot timestamped 9:33 p.m.

Graham remained with friends until 11 p.m., Longo said, at which time she proceeded to at least two other locations in the 14th Street area.

Students have confirmed one of these locations was The Pointe apartment complex, where Graham attended a party.

"When she left the second location, we believe that she lost her bearings," Longo said. "She was lost."

Charlottesville Police spokesperson Lt. Ronnie Roberts said an eyewitness in the area saw Graham near 14th Street around 12:15 a.m. Saturday.

From there, Longo said Graham headed north on 10th Street, and she has been identified on video surveillance at McGrady’s Irish Pub on Grady Avenue at 12:46 a.m. In the video, Graham appears confused, first walking west in front of the bar, then circling back east.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/2014/09/graham-investigation-day-five

Officials there say they adjusted their search after seeing video of Graham leaving McGrady's at 12:46 a.m. Saturday, walking east on Preston Avenue. Her last contact with friends came in a text message at 1:20 a.m. saying she was lost on 14th Street, but police don't believe Graham sent the text from that area.

“Last time we knew she had been seen prior to this video, she was with a young man who she had classes with. They had just met on the street and went to a party," Charlottesville Police Chief Gary Pleasants told NBC's Today. "She left there at 12:15 and he did not leave the party.”

http://www.wsls.com/story/26534829/police-searching-for-missing-uva-student

Because LE has a witness who places HG in the bar, I'm going to assume she found a way inside somehow. While I'm not completely discounting the possibility that she was roofied, it occurs to me that if she drank both drinks, if he offered all or part of his to her, she would likely be drunk by the time they left. Two drinks in a short amount of time, coupled with being tired, might explain the reports that she was drunk and was leaning on him when they walked away from the bar.
observation, in my experience as someone who partied heavily back in the day, I have never seen a young girl who was sloshed gulp down bottled beers without throwing them right up ( mostly because of the amount of air they gulped down with the beer) . How long do you all think it would have taken HG to sip those beers? I don't even picture her drinking outside of Tempo.The stories by the employees/owner are not believable, imo. I think they are telling half of the story.

observation, in my experience as someone who partied heavily back in the day, I have never seen a young girl who was sloshed gulp down bottled beers without throwing them right up ( mostly because of the amount of air they gulped down with the beer) . How long do you all think it would have taken HG to sip those beers? I don't even picture her drinking outside of Tempo.The stories by the employees/owner are not believable, imo. I think they are telling half of the story.

Where exactly were they drinking outside the bar ... standing in front of the building?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
april89
Back